Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Hooray! Michigan is the first state in the country to approve the use of ... police drones.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/drone360/2015/03/11/michigan-approves-police-drone/#.VSV6n5O7gg

quote:

After getting authorization from from the Federal Aviation Administration, the Michigan State Police represents the first law enforcement agency in the United States that can use drones in every corner of the state.

Officers can now deploy surveillance drones to assist with operations at the scene of major accidents and other crimes. The State Police earned the approval Feb. 25 after FAA officials visited Michigan earlier that month to review the program and its safety procedures.

Detroit Free Press posted:

“The approval makes the State Police the first in the nation to have a statewide authorization to fly, though there are still restrictions. The drone is prohibited from flying within five miles of an airport for safety reasons, though in emergency, permission could be granted on a case-by-case basis.”

The FAA’s approval in Michigan reflects the growing role aerial drone units are playing in police work. Before Monday’s approval, individual police departments across the country needed to apply for a Certificate of Authorization from the FAA, which often comes with stringent guidelines about how, where, when and for what purpose police drones can be flown. Even if a department’s program is approved, it only pertains to a department’s jurisdiction.

The Michigan State Police, however, can use their drone anywhere in the state. In 2013 the State Police purchased a $158,000 Aeryon SkyRanger that is fitted with a high-definition, infrared camera and can stay in the skies for about an hour on a single charge. The State Police have already been training with the drone for over a year, according to The Detroit News.

The SkyRanger will streamline multi-car automobile accident investigations, such as the 193-car pileup that shut down Interstate 94 between Battle Creek and Kalamazoo for two days in January. The drone’s camera can take hundreds of photographs of the scene and sketch a three-dimensional map of the crash.

State police say they’ll also use the drone to find missing people, scout natural disasters and conduct surveillance. Their drone was already deployed on March 4 to photograph a fire investigation near Jenison.

Naturally, when police add a new surveillance tool to their arsenal, civil libertarians will raise red flags. Groups like the American Civil Liberties Union worry that police drone programs lead down a slippery slope toward overreach and unwelcome surveillance tactics. The ACLU has called for strict limits on where drones can be deployed, and it is firmly opposed to equipping drones with lethal or non-lethal weapons. The Michigan State Police worked closely with the ACLU of Michigan while developing its program, and a spokesperson told WOOD-TV that state’s program doesn’t raise any red flags:

ACLU posted:

“We have no qualms really with the state police,” said Shelli Weisberg, legislative affairs director for the ACLU of Michigan. “We understand it’s a good tool for them to use for accident reconstruction.”

The State Police has a strict internal policy for operating its drone. The device will always be flown with a two-person crew, below an elevation of 400 feet, and always within the crew’s line of sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Karnegal posted:

Well to be fair, when someone described Rand's hair as "dry macaroni glued to his skull" it was the funniest thing I'd heard today.

Somebody needs to make a portrait of Rand using kindergarten-level craft supplies like this. Fingerpaint, macaroni, buttons and yarn, the works.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think it's not mutually exclusive to think that

A. the police officer's wife should be able to have her baby regardless of what her spouse did.

B. It's hosed up that we're not doing these humanitarian initiatives for literally everyone else, and/or that access to healthcare should not be tied to one's job in the first place.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Nintendo Kid posted:

The point of the crabs in a bucket metaphor is that people should be smarter than crabs.

I'd hope we're smarter, because we sure aren't tastier.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think it's not mutually exclusive to think that

A. the police officer's wife should be able to have her baby regardless of what her spouse did.

B. It's hosed up that we're not doing these humanitarian initiatives for literally everyone else, and/or that access to healthcare should not be tied to one's job in the first place.

I give it a, "imo nice albeit nepotistic," and figure that whether the nepotism's of greater disutility than than the niceness's of utility is wholly dependent on contextual variables we don't have access to.

whydirt posted:

Hey now, cannibals say that humans taste like pork and chicken.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

whydirt posted:

Hey! Long pork is delicious :unsmigghh:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Craaaab people, craaaab people.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Joementum posted:

Please do not ask Ted Cruz about events prior to 1970.

Also, too, when Ted Cruz was born he was entitled to lifelong socialized medicine, so why should he have to take a position on Medicare?

Yes, let's ignore Mr. Interweb posting the same thing several pages prior.

This isn't the first time you've stolen my glory, Joementum. :mad:

Caros
May 14, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Never much cared for it.

Equine Don posted:

Incidentally, this is the best mantra for if you find yourself scared in a horror film. Tension instantly gone.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

read this as "Huey Long pork is delicious"

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Quidam Viator posted:

The idea is that if each crab, instead of panicking and trying to be on top, worked together to create a unified crab initiative, that they could all be theoretically pulled out of the bucket through unity. That would require many things: the ability for the crab to overcome the natural pressures of the danger it feels, the artificial threats created by the crabmonger, and the contagious panic of the other crabs.

I like the metaphor because it can be extended. In this case, imagine the crabmonger is the person who's put you into this pot: an oligarch. They can pick you up, push you down, and their goal is to eat you. The person in control only needs to stimulate your natural panic reflexes to get you to fight the other crabs in desperation, and stay trapped. I believe the metaphor is illustrative because it makes an absolutist claim about human behavior, and the cornerstone of human behavior is adaptability.

Let's go back to being metaphorical: even if I admit the impossibility of each of your scenarios above, I can come up with more. They don't need to team up to overpower the crabmonger. Why fight against your opponent's strength. The crabs could cling together with the fiercest pinchers at top, draw attention and bite the poo poo out of the hand. Now the crabmonger is panicked. Now the bucket has been overturned, or perhaps accidentally thrown back in the water. All of the crabs can freeze, and act like they're dead. Now the crabmonger is worried that he's killed the crabs he intends to eat, and now HE's panicking again.

My problem with the people in this thread is that they genuinely believe that we are behaviorally crab-like; that we lack the ability to think outside the bucket, and that any nonconformist ideas should be met with pinching and grabbing. I fiercely believe that there are unpredictable, wild, massively risky techniques that we can attempt as humans to escape the certain death we face if we simply keep on crabbin.

I dream of a carefully planned crab offensive that throws the human being rear end crabmonger out of the boat, opens up the bait bucket, and gives us control of the helm. Because we're HUMAN loving BEINGS. We build pyramids and write relativistic physics, and build Saturn V rockets. Just because you've always been told that human beings cannot unite, will always factionalize and kill each other, even unto their own extinction does not make it true. We are NOT crabs, and it's time to stop acting like crab-rear end dipshits.

this is me with my cable company/internets provider

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Roll Call remembers Senator Dan Coats (R-IN) who announced his retirement recently. He was very concerned about massages, the invasion of Canada, and being in the right room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6DLnnO2RVE

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
John Boehner's entitlement reform pitch... in 10 gifs.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whoa this Hillary Campaign movie looks to be the spine tingling thriller of the summer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4wOIwq49gw

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Weird and lovable, that's QV.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Y'all know you can make threads here in DnD right? You won't get water boarded by Dick Cheney. The policeman fired for murdering someone -> family loses benefits debate would make a decent little thread.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the morning, "Watch the ceilings with those cameras. You ruin my woodwork you ruin my day." ~ Donald Trump, to reporters aboard his private jet.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JT Jag posted:

The wife isn't being punished, her husband is. It was his coverage, and he did something bad, so keeping to the same standards others are held to, he should lose it when he gets fired. The wife is a victim of her husband's ill-considered actions, not from the system operating fairly. Good luck to her in finding a new insurance plan that is not dependent on her husband, who is a murderer. If universal health insurance was a thing, this wouldn't be a problem.

This is the most concise summary of this viewpoint and I fail to see how people can disagree with it

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

UIApplication posted:

This is the most concise summary of this viewpoint and I fail to see how people can disagree with it

Also gently caress the baby when it is born, imo. Sins of the father and all.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm kinda curious, what exactly is the positive action that the crabs are supposed to take instead of fighting to the top of the bucket?

Its not like they can team up and overpower the crabmonger or use their iron-clad claws to rip into the bucket.

Really, being at the top of the bucket increase the chance you'll be jostled overboard. A good crab.
  1. Push up the crabs near the top of the bucket so they get out.
  2. The crabs that got out hang on the edge to tip over the bucket.
  3. All of the crabs can get out now.
  4. Full communism.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Jesus Christ you idiots the crab bucket is a metaphor, you aren't supposed to take it literally.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Joementum posted:

Today is also the anniversary of the start of the Titanic's maiden voyage. Much like the Titanic, death is certain for many of us plebs

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, "Watch the ceilings with those cameras. You ruin my woodwork you ruin my day." ~ Donald Trump, to reporters aboard his private jet.

I too can relate to people ruining the woodwork on my private jet. The people's candidate.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
USPol April: Baby-killing gays, pregnant women on murderer's health insurance and bucket crabs need not apply.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Joementum posted:

This should be posted every time Trump has something to say:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQWAsWmBRF4

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Ralepozozaxe posted:

People always talk about how smart and how good at debate Ted Cruz is, but take him out of his comfort zone and he's all "and and and".

Cruz is an appellate lawyer. They're typically very, very smart people.But they focus on one set of narrow issues at a time. Oral arguments in front of courts of appeals give you months and months to prepare for a twenty to thirty minute argument. It's a difficult thing to be very good at.

But you don't often walk into your argument on whether punitive damages are legally permissible, and have to field questions about foreign policy. I know some people who worked with him at the texas solicitor General office; he is apparently smart about crafting always arguments.

None of this means he is qualified for president or good at real debate and issues. But given months to prepare for a narrow topic, he is apparently one of the best.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Also gently caress the baby when it is born, imo. Sins of the father and all.

They could put up a gofundme for COBRA and have what they need to continue insurance in a day almost assuredly. That baby's kind of screwed though with the major loss of income and parent in prison, regardless of a little hospital debt.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

Sins of the father and all.

This is explicitly unconstitutional.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Equine Don posted:

CRAB BATTLE

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Gotta admit it's pretty hilarious that liberals are using "sins of the father" in reference to a fetus

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Cruz is an appellate lawyer. They're typically very, very smart people.But they focus on one set of narrow issues at a time. Oral arguments in front of courts of appeals give you months and months to prepare for a twenty to thirty minute argument. It's a difficult thing to be very good at.

But you don't often walk into your argument on whether punitive damages are legally permissible, and have to field questions about foreign policy. I know some people who worked with him at the texas solicitor General office; he is apparently smart about crafting always arguments.

None of this means he is qualified for president or good at real debate and issues. But given months to prepare for a narrow topic, he is apparently one of the best.

Cruz was a literal champion debater in college, which I think is responsible for more of the "Ted Cruz will crush his enemies, see them driven before him on the debate stage, hear the lamentations of their women" thing than his law career. It's a vastly more extemporaneous thing than any kind of real-world legal practice is.

But both competetive debate and Law are about procedural wrangling, thoroughness, consistency, etc. Whereas a televised poltiical debate is theatre. It is about giving good soundbites and Seeming Cool. Is cruz good at that? probably not, at least when he's dealing with a more general audience than his own base.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Radbot posted:

Gotta admit it's pretty hilarious that liberals are using "sins of the father" in reference to a fetus

That's pretty obviously sarcasm.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Unzip and Attack posted:

I'd also like someone to answer this question: if the police department sets up a college fund for the kid and funnels public money into it, would objecting to that be "punishing" the wife? If so, why is an extension of healthcare benefits ok but not the college fund? What about a special pension for the wife if the officer goes to jail? How about extending the healthcare coverage until he's 1? Or 10? Where does "empathy" end and undeserved privilege begin? (I realize this is a hypothetical)

The difference is that everything you're listing is something being gifted, while what the issue was about is extending what she already has, is immediately in need of, and had been expecting to be able to use. If the police department upgraded her healthcare plan after her husband's arrest, this would be a very different discusssion.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

Joementum posted:

Boehner posted:

It is an important step to begin to right the ship and secure fair winds and calm seas for our children and grandchildren – the future kings and queens of the world.

Is this the 1%er version of the 14 words?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The answer is because we're human beings and can judge things on a case by case basis, not robots who shut down when faced with logic problems like "If one month benefits ok, why not four years of college?"

Yes it's a double standard but in this case it's benefiting an innocent party and compensating for a huge flaw in our society (that the wife of a criminal can lose her health coverage because her husband committed a crime). At the very least it's a loving terrible hill to die on, so I guess it makes sense that so many people who vote Democrat are choosing to do that.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

UIApplication posted:

I completely agree that the wife and child are victims of the husband! However, the state helping out victims is actually a good thing for it to do, and not a bad thing. I wish it could help more victims out, but I'd rather it help some victims than none at all

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

greatn posted:

They could put up a gofundme for COBRA and have what they need to continue insurance in a day almost assuredly. That baby's kind of screwed though with the major loss of income and parent in prison, regardless of a little hospital debt.

If only there were another option

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Obama is visiting the ancestral homeland of his former rival John McCain today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So we have a man, canal Panama.

Does he have a plan?

• Locked thread