Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Policenaut posted:

Hey guys who wanted a new Project X Zone because apparently that's happening.

You know, I would really settle for a new Super Robot Wars that's not an Original Generation, if Japanese studios are starting to do Western localization of weird crossover games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

deadly_pudding posted:

You know, I would really settle for a new Super Robot Wars that's not an Original Generation, if Japanese studios are starting to do Western localization of weird crossover games.

As was recently discussed in the SRW thread, the amount of text in even one of the smaller SRWs is insane. Throw in the licensing nightmare and no one in their right mind is ever going to bother localizing this game for the niche fanbase that exists.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

e;fb

gently caress Harmony Gold. Stop being dicks about Macross!!!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Cake Attack posted:

its not a spoiler until you know for sure yes though

Shame, I know about that and mecha-fiona or whatever thanks to smash. I really hope these two things don't somehow spoil the whole game for me because that would kill it for me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Shame, I know about that and mecha-fiona or whatever thanks to smash. I really hope these two things don't somehow spoil the whole game for me because that would kill it for me.

Nah, you'll be right. Those are two small details in a very big story. Just so you know, the general thing is to refer to her as Seven (ie; the Seventh party member) if you want to keep something minor referring to her spoiler-free.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I mean, they're not exactly small details, but at least the game isn't spoiling the literal ending. That, you will have to work for.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Oh cool, the same people who have spent the last several months hyping up the 3DS Xenoblade are now bashing it.

http://kotaku.com/were-not-crazy-about-xenoblade-chronicles-3d-1696983738

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
*nasally, annoying nerd voice*

We're Not Crazy About Xenoblade Chronicles 3DS

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Don't link to Kotaku. They do this sort of stunts because they know people will link to them.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nah, you'll be right. Those are two small details in a very big story. Just so you know, the general thing is to refer to her as Seven (ie; the Seventh party member) if you want to keep something minor referring to her spoiler-free.

If you pay close attention to the cut scenes you figure it out way before the reveal anyways

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Monkey Fracas posted:

"Lets see, we got a lot of clicks hyping up the game... So we can get even more clicks bashing it now that it's out!" :pseudo:

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"Lets see, we got a lot of clicks hyping up the game... So we can get even more clicks bashing it now that it's out!" :pseudo:

In all seriousness, what's a good video game news site that isn't designed so it looks like I'm throwing a child's birthday party in my cubicle?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I've put a few hours into Xenoblade and yeah, it's very good. The controls took a bit of getting used to but they are at least semi intuitive once you figure out what everything does.

Don't go to Kotoku and give them page views

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Transistor Rhythm posted:

In all seriousness, what's a good video game news site that isn't designed so it looks like I'm throwing a child's birthday party in my cubicle?

Joystiq used to be good as just a videogames RSS feed. Now they're here: http://www.engadget.com/gaming/

Think it's still mostly the same.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Oh cool, the same people who have spent the last several months hyping up the 3DS Xenoblade are now bashing it.

http://kotaku.com/were-not-crazy-about-xenoblade-chronicles-3d-1696983738

good

also kotaku is terrible but this article is one guy who never liked the game saying he still doesn't like the game, and another guy who liked the game saying it loses a little bit on the n3ds

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
When you all get to Gaur Plains, do the sidequests for the guys in the cave. You've got a relatively brief window to get those done (only as far as evacuating them to safety out of Gaur Plains), and the rewards are decent iirc. There are other time (Ie; Plot event)-sensitive sidequests later in the game, but those have a much, much larger window to be completed in if you have any interest in them at all. The time-sensitive ones are marked with a clock, incidentally.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Monkey Fracas posted:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

hadji murad posted:

This was much more helpful, thanks!

namaste

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I haven't played either but it makes sense that the translation from the big screen to portables would lead to a loss of things such as scope and all that. The 3ds has a lovely screen, period and a big part of RPG's is the atmosphere. So maybe the complaints are somewhat valid?

With that said Kotaku loving sucks either way.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is there anything wrong with doing all the side quests? I pretty much 100%ed DAI and enjoyed it, except for the extremely bad ending that made everything seem like a waste of time.

I usually enjoy clearing towns of quests before moving on but I have seen people say just go with the plot except colony 6.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Waltzing Along posted:

Is there anything wrong with doing all the side quests? I pretty much 100%ed DAI and enjoyed it, except for the extremely bad ending that made everything seem like a waste of time.

I usually enjoy clearing towns of quests before moving on but I have seen people say just go with the plot except colony 6.

Apparently you will hate the game if you try to do all of them

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Had some extra $$$ and finally broke down and bought a New 3DSXL and MH4U. I also picked up 3D Land and Rune Factory 4 plus an adapter. I ordered from Amazon. The games and AC adapter got here today...the 3DS won't get here until Monday :sigh:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Yawgmoft posted:

I never played Xenoblade on the Wii- should I get that or the new 3DS version?

It's way better looking on the Wii if you don't care about portability, but copies are really hard to find

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Waltzing Along posted:

1) There is a metric fuckton of side quests, and if you try to do all of them you will likely burn out quickly.

2) Doing quests is a good way to build affinity between characters, so you might not want to clear them all out until you have a bigger cast.

3) Character level is the biggest factor in combat difficulty, so if you do all the side quests you'll probably overlevel and steamroll everything.

Basically do quests until you don't want to anymore. There's a few that are cut off after certain plot events, and they're all indicated with a little clock symbol. Maybe do all those.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

goferchan posted:

It's way better looking on the Wii if you don't care about portability, but copies are really hard to find

A 4 inch screen seems really small for a game of this type, too.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

There are a truly staggering number of sidequests and not all of them are very interesting. Apparently people exist who both feel compelled to do everything and get bored when they try because there are so many.

If you think you want to do all the quests then knock yourself out. Just keep in the back of your mind that if you start to get sick of it the solution is to just move on in the plot. It's not that complicated.

The one caution I think is actually helpful is that if you do every single sidequest as soon as they're available you can end up over leveled for the main plot.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Stop doing sidequests when you're getting to a higher level than the enemies in the area. That's a good benchmark I think. You want to have fun and have there be a point to actually fighting the monsters, which there is none when you're five levels higher.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

There are a lot of sidequests that boil down to "Find x amounts of y/kill x number of z" and it's really tedious to get them all done. Just don't bother getting them all done.

For anyone playing, here's a spreadsheet that is pretty much a complete guide to the game as far as I can tell.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?hl=en_US&key=0Anx12MiCQejudHJfUWhOTGd5Wm1uS25ub2FDeE5BekE&hl=en_US&f=true&noheader=false&gid=2

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Alxprit posted:

Stop doing sidequests when you're getting to a higher level than the enemies in the area. That's a good benchmark I think. You want to have fun and have there be a point to actually fighting the monsters, which there is none when you're five levels higher.

Oh wow...didn't realize you could outlevel things by so much. I guess I'll just take things as they come and do what seems fun.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Accept any quest you come across, but don't feel compelled to complete them if you don't want to.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Waltzing Along posted:

Oh wow...didn't realize you could outlevel things by so much. I guess I'll just take things as they come and do what seems fun.

The same goes in reverse, don't stay too underleveled because if you're more than 5 levels under an enemy or boss, you're not gonna be able to hit them and you're going to hate yourself for not doing enough quests.

Edit:

How appropriate is the NieR sidequest flowchart to Xenoblade?

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

It's me, I'm the guy who wanted this.

High-five.

It's a bad game, but I still enjoyed it. I love dumb crossover things.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Another way of wording what I said is, there is an EXP point penalty to fighting enemies much weaker than you. If you save some sidequests, you can get the fixed EXP from them later and it will be more worthwhile than the 10 or so you get from killing monsters around that area. That being said, a lot of sidequests aren't very hard, per say. There's only a few that are really a "pain in the rear end" in the bad way, and that mostly revolves around finding things under certain weather conditions or not knowing where a particular unique monster will spawn.

EDIT:

greatn posted:

Won't a lot of quests just kind of complete automatically if you go around killing a bunch of stuff on your way to places anyway?

"Nameless" quests will. Meaning, quests that are given by non-named NPCs that have a generic name like "killing quest 1" or something. Those complete automatically: however, they don't give you EXP, only money.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Won't a lot of quests just kind of complete automatically if you go around killing a bunch of stuff on your way to places anyway?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Machine posted:

High-five.

It's a bad game, but I still enjoyed it. I love dumb crossover things.

Me too.

I'd rather have the sequel to Endless Frontier that we never got in English but that ship sailed when the DS did.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

A game I missed in the past few years before I fixed my "3DS==headaches even on 2D" problem is Bravely Default. Worth picking up?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Bravely Default is a good game and you should play it if you like RPGs

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

How much did you like Final Fantasy V? If a lot, buy Bravely Default. If not so much, maybe don't buy it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Never played FFV. That's the one that started the job system thing, right? I like the system in theory but in practice I get decision paralyzed real easy :shobon:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah. BD has my favorite turn-based battle system of any game, so I recommend it as well.