Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

anthonypants posted:

if you want to do conversions between things, wolfram alpha is way better than google

i wasn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Wheany posted:

i wasn't

why not

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
what kind of a question is that?

why are you not making conversions between timezones?

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

lmao if you dont lead an international jet setting lifestyle

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

with internet conference calls you don't need to travel at all for timezones to gently caress everything up

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

for example last night the guys in japan hosed up scheduling a conference call, meant to make it 6:30 pm eastern, instead made it 6:30pm tokyo time

thats 5:30am eastern

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

St Evan Echoes posted:

countdown until all ad blocking extensions marked malicious

they'll definitely make up some excuse about them modifying page content

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
nah, adblock is pretty much a killer app for those who use it.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Wheany posted:

nah, adblock is pretty much a killer app for those who use it.

i set up my dad with adblock plus and ghostery and taught him how to toggle them if they cause any page problems and he was all "this is great"

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

duTrieux. posted:

i set up my dad with adblock plus and ghostery and taught him how to toggle them if they cause any page problems and he was all "this is great"

most people i tell about ablock say "what ads?" :eng99:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

prefect posted:

Google purges bad extensions from Chrome

Tens of millions of users who visit Google sites use a browser loaded with malicious add-ons, research suggests.

Most rogue extensions bombard people with ads, but the most malicious steal login names and other valuable data.

Carried out by security experts and Google, the project analysed more than 100 million visits to the search giant's sites.

It led to Google purging almost 200 bad extensions from its online catalogues of browser add-ons.

:monocle:

are they going to remove them from peoples chomes or is there a list of these bad extensions anywhere

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

THC posted:

are they going to remove them from peoples chomes or is there a list of these bad extensions anywhere

i think you have to explicitly enable developer mode in chrome now or some poo poo to get extensions that aren't google-approved, idk if it has any effect retroactively

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

with internet conference calls you don't need to travel at all for timezones to gently caress everything up

hobbesmaster posted:

for example last night the guys in japan hosed up scheduling a conference call, meant to make it 6:30 pm eastern, instead made it 6:30pm tokyo time

thats 5:30am eastern
swatch solved this problem in 1998 though :confused:

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Dubstep Jesus posted:

i think you have to explicitly enable developer mode in chrome now or some poo poo to get extensions that aren't google-approved, idk if it has any effect retroactively

Not google approved, just published through the Chrome App Store. I highly doubt they actually check any of the poo poo coming in. It just means you can't distribute to users without having them in Developer mode.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

duTrieux. posted:

i have been pleasantly surprised by how few pages break after installing goatsery. the only one i can remember immediately is tumblr's login, which breaks because the dashboard widget or something gets blocked.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Wheany posted:

i have been pleasantly surprised by how few pages break after installing goatsery. the only one i can remember immediately is tumblr's login, which breaks because the dashboard widget or something gets blocked.

yeah, it's rather good at what it does

the only thing that it seems to interfere with that initially bugged me was brightcove but really i didn't need to see those video news pieces anywa

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

at least i'm not one of those maniacs that blocks all scripting

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Pinterest Mom posted:

swatch solved this problem in 1998 though :confused:
just use unix time for everything op

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

duTrieux. posted:

at least i'm not one of those maniacs that blocks all scripting

I am, feels good.

Noscript ghostery and adblock are basically the greatest things.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Wheany posted:

and nothing of value was lost

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
truth

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

SIGSEGV posted:

Noscript ghostery and adblock are basically the greatest things.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
the only site i noscript is arse technical because of their goddamn top banner thing that scrolls with the content and automatically resizes itself at some arbitrary point on the page

it sucks because videos dont get displayed and inline pictures (benchmark results etc) open in a new tab

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

couldn't you just block that with an adblock rule

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Maluco Marinero posted:

Not google approved, just published through the Chrome App Store. I highly doubt they actually check any of the poo poo coming in. It just means you can't distribute to users without having them in Developer mode.

they do check, and even if you publish a unlisted extension for your own use (if you have a google apps account) it will take like half hour or an hour for it to actually be available as it runs its various checks, it used to be instant before.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
what's the difference between ghostery and just using your web browser to block third-party cookies

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
- it works

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Blue Train posted:

couldn't you just block that with an adblock rule

not on an ipad. i use glimmerblocker to do it

plus adblocking it would gently caress up the design even more i guess

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
i use https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/privacy-badger/pkehgijcmpdhfbdbbnkijodmdjhbjlgp?utm_source=chrome-app-launcher-info-dialog instead of ghostery/dissconect.me , works pretty well and its easy to turn it off when needed

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Beeftweeter posted:

not on an ipad. i use glimmerblocker to do it

plus adblocking it would gently caress up the design even more i guess

yeah i just tried disabling that top bar with adblock and it just ruined the page design because its the same bar when scrolled up

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Celexi posted:

i use https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/privacy-badger/pkehgijcmpdhfbdbbnkijodmdjhbjlgp?utm_source=chrome-app-launcher-info-dialog instead of ghostery/dissconect.me , works pretty well and its easy to turn it off when needed
This is an alpha release of Privacy Badger.

Please understand that Privacy Badger is in beta,

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

anthonypants posted:

what's the difference between ghostery and just using your web browser to block third-party cookies

ghostery also block clever JS poo poo and share buttons. those "Like on facebook" buttons track you too.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

anthonypants posted:

This is an alpha release of Privacy Badger.

Please understand that Privacy Badger is in beta,

badly worded but what they mean is that the chrome extension is an alpha while the original(firefox) is a beta

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

PleasureKevin posted:

i see ads on youtube with ad blocker pro as it is ...
i have never seen an ad on youtube ever

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

anthonypants posted:

ghostery blocks tons and tons and tons of 3rd party js

3 different js things are blocked on this page alone, two of which i've never heard of

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
theres some things you cant really block though. iirc verizon was using a http header to track mobile data users somehow

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Beeftweeter posted:

theres some things you cant really block though. iirc verizon was using a http header to track mobile data users somehow

mobile data users go through heavy natting when on ipv4, and in the routing used there's plenty of room to add additional headers.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

disconnect is ghostery but open sores and not developed by an ad company if you care about such things

it's on firefox, idk about chrome because chrome is a bad browser

also ublock rules and adblock drools

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

disconnect is ghostery but open sores and not developed by an ad company if you care about such things

it's on firefox, idk about chrome because chrome is a bad browser

also ublock rules and adblock drools
it looks like disconnect is actually a desktop app and not a plugin? is that for reals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

anthonypants posted:

it looks like disconnect is actually a desktop app and not a plugin? is that for reals
that's weird

here's the ff addon https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/disconnect/

• Locked thread