Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

a new contender for the ar tonelico throne of inevitable skincrawling creepiness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
the funniest thing in dot hack is when you discover the furry mmorpg character you can recruit is an obese 13 year old in real life. because you think yeah, that sounds about right

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
lmao

i ought to try and play through the dot hack games, i remember getting kind of far in the first one but giving up. whatever happened to the second series that came out after //sign finished?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

hubris.height posted:

lmao

i ought to try and play through the dot hack games, i remember getting kind of far in the first one but giving up. whatever happened to the second series that came out after //sign finished?

if you mean the gu games, they are better because the developers thankfully learned from their mistakes and made the combat better.

but it's still a story stretched over three drat games, like goddamn

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

corn in the bible posted:

if you mean the gu games, they are better because the developers thankfully learned from their mistakes and made the combat better.

but it's still a story stretched over three drat games, like goddamn

Yes, the third game moves at a snail's pace. It's terrible. I think it would have been an ok two-game series but three was just too much for how paper thin it was to begin wtih.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

hubris.height posted:

i ought to try and play through the dot hack games

No you don't

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Especially if you want legit copies they go for silly money on eBay.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

the funniest thing in dot hack is when you discover the furry mmorpg character you can recruit is an obese 13 year old in real life. because you think yeah, that sounds about right

I like when the lady who was pregnant in the first set of games lets her baby play the game in the second set of them despite knowing that the game can make you comatose.

Also when she came back at the end of the first four games and still had tons of basic healing items because there's no limit to how many the AI can use in a row so her voice clips would explode using them in succession.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Everything they do with the internet and mmo stuff is great and sometimes really funny. Its like xenosaga, where if it was all one game the story would still be insane bullshit but at least you could have fun with it. Like the SUPER COOL NINJA PKER who is some 12-year-old brazilian, or how in the GU games you can meet people named XXSLAYERXX and download fanart of yourself from fake deviantart

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The meta stuff in .hack was always super interesting to me I just wish it was a better game.

I'm kind of surprised Persona didn't go this route. It would be a natural progression for the s-links by day with the big dungeon being an online video game. Even the series' roots are about a guy who develops a demon summoning program.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

Especially if you want legit copies they go for silly money on eBay.
As somebody who owns all four of the first series, when you say "silly money"...

Everything they do with the internet and mmo stuff is great and sometimes really funny. Its like xenosaga, where if it was all one game the story would still be insane bullshit but at least you could have fun with it. Like the SUPER COOL NINJA PKER who is some 12-year-old brazilian, or how in the GU games you can meet people named XXSLAYERXX and download fanart of yourself from fake deviantart
Please tell me most of the fanart is really bad. :allears:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Was Mario RPG the first game with a timed attack system? I assume not, but it occurred to me this morning that I don't actually know an earlier one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

al-azad posted:

The meta stuff in .hack was always super interesting to me I just wish it was a better game.

I'm kind of surprised Persona didn't go this route. It would be a natural progression for the s-links by day with the big dungeon being an online video game. Even the series' roots are about a guy who develops a demon summoning program.

That would be SMT: Soul Hackers :v:.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

al-azad posted:

Leaked screenshot

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

al-azad posted:

Yeah the multi-media continuity is pretty great, but IMOQ is a chore to play. GU was fun, but I say that as someone who survived IMOQ.
And if you ever want to know the whole story~ you should be prepared to take out a loan.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That would be SMT: Soul Hackers :v:.

I unironically love Soul Hackers and I want to see more in that vein.

God drat, I really should not be excited for Star Ocean 5, but I grew up with 2 and 3 and they'll always be fun as hell for me. Maybe not good, but definitely fun. Hopefully SE will put the older games up as Classics so people can re-experience TEEEEEEAR INTO PIECEEEEEEEES all over again.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Double post to switch to actual good game chat: Finished Emma's route in Front Mission 3. Accomplished the following:

Became a traitor to Japan by mission 2.
Spent about 15 missions chasing and failing to stop a new super weapon.
Inadvertently left a bunch of civilians in the care of the main villain, getting them all killed.
Spent about 30 missions backing a rebellion in China that, as it turns out, was run by a huge douchebag who probably got the legitimate successor killed.
Went to rescue a civilian without giant robot suit, getting a party member captured and said civilian re-captured.
Failed to re-connect with military dad during a coup d'état, ultimately getting him killed in an attempt to redeem himself.
Encountered the main villain in his god-mech and four reinforcements. Body Smash triggered against three of them and the boss.
Got capture-prone civilian killed.
Stormed the Capitol building with POTUSN present, and held a news conference where the party somehow came out as the heroes in all of the above.

Can't wait to see if Kazuki is more competent with his capture-happy sister around instead of the actually cool character of Emma!

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Captain Walker posted:

Double post to switch to actual good game chat: Finished Emma's route in Front Mission 3. Accomplished the following:

Became a traitor to Japan by mission 2.
Spent about 15 missions chasing and failing to stop a new super weapon.
Inadvertently left a bunch of civilians in the care of the main villain, getting them all killed.
Spent about 30 missions backing a rebellion in China that, as it turns out, was run by a huge douchebag who probably got the legitimate successor killed.
Went to rescue a civilian without giant robot suit, getting a party member captured and said civilian re-captured.
Failed to re-connect with military dad during a coup d'état, ultimately getting him killed in an attempt to redeem himself.
Encountered the main villain in his god-mech and four reinforcements. Body Smash triggered against three of them and the boss.
Got capture-prone civilian killed.
Stormed the Capitol building with POTUSN present, and held a news conference where the party somehow came out as the heroes in all of the above.

Can't wait to see if Kazuki is more competent with his capture-happy sister around instead of the actually cool character of Emma!

The important thing is that he's just as angry at everything no matter what you choose.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

And if you ever want to know the whole story~ you should be prepared to take out a loan.

It's not nearly as bad as it seems (or even as bad as it used to be), since a lot of those manga and light novels were either retellings of the plot of the games from a different angle, non-canon, or just straight novelizations of the original plot of the games.

Funimation is also re-releasing the various animes this year, each for only $27 on Amazon, and two of them are irrelevant and non-canon.

And I don't bring out canon because I particularly care about it, but because the non-canon stuff is pretty bad.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Oh yeah Haseo's story is all in some anime or some poo poo between the intro of him getting ganked and him getting chumped and delevelled.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Kild posted:

Oh yeah Haseo's story is all in some anime or some poo poo between the intro of him getting ganked and him getting chumped and delevelled.

Haseo's story is in two different animes.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Front Mission is, in typical RPG fashion, minor success major failure: the game, except you're always on the edge of starting the next World War so the stakes are maybe even worse.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Coughing Hobo posted:

The important thing is that he's just as angry at everything no matter what you choose.

Kazuki is the best.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

front mission owns

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Phantasium posted:

Haseo's story is in two different animes.

lol

IIRC the anime explains why you're suppose to care for the girl you're chasing after through all 3 games.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

its an anime girl in an mmo. isn't that enough of a reason for a teenager to care

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

It's almost impossible to keep up with what happens in any part of the .hack series unless you've seen everything else in it

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I have seen almost everything .hack related and I still don't really know what happens ever

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I played about 15 hours of Infection, watched the Twilight Bracelet anime, and the Quantum OVA. I think the only one of those that I really liked was the Quantum OVA since out of everything, it managed to stand on its own relatively well.

EDIT: And didn't require a $300 investment.

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 10, 2015

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dryzen posted:

It's almost impossible to keep up with what happens in any part of the .hack series unless you've seen everything else in it

I feel like I completely understood it when I played the games even without reading any exterior content. Except GU, I watched that tie-in anime. I couldn't explain the story now, of course.

Most of what I remember from those series is that I felt that IMOQ had a better story, GU had better characters, and the second half of the third GU game was a terrible waste of everyone's time. Well, that and that IMOQ's gameplay was an awful slog that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I played through IMOQ three times and couldn't bring myself to finish GU vol 2.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

imoq has the dumb laser you have to shoot bosses with, which is just a terrible design decision

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
the only dumb laser is the one not used to shoot bosses

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

hubris.height posted:

the only dumb laser is the one not used to shoot bosses

you have to hit the boss, doing no damage, for ages until your laser charges. then you can use it on the boss, and it becomes vulnerable and also starts doing more damage, so then you have the actual boss fight. it's stupid.

on PARDISE CRACKED news, i found a russian fan patch which fixes some of the game's rendering issues (though some wall textures still refuse to load) and also improves the load times. got it working with my english version and the game is much more enjoyable now -- i could maybe recommend it to people even

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'd take the lovely bonus dungeon full of data bugs in Quarantine again over doing the lovely Avatar fights in GU. Especially trying to get Data Drain to hit. Ugh.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'd take the lovely bonus dungeon full of data bugs in Quarantine again over doing the lovely Avatar fights in GU. Especially trying to get Data Drain to hit. Ugh.

I'll take Avatar fights over everything IMOQ, but that loving dungeon especially. You madman.

TARDISman posted:

watched the Twilight Bracelet anime

You poor soul.

King of Solomon posted:

I feel like I completely understood it when I played the games even without reading any exterior content. Except GU, I watched that tie-in anime. I couldn't explain the story now, of course.

Most of what I remember from those series is that I felt that IMOQ had a better story, GU had better characters, and the second half of the third GU game was a terrible waste of everyone's time. Well, that and that IMOQ's gameplay was an awful slog that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

IMOQ has a lot of optional tie-ins with Sign but otherwise its story was pretty self-contained, yeah. They did a good job of having the Liminality OVAs tie in to the events in the games (if you haven't played the games, the OVAs are complete trash though).

GU's problem was that they hyped the story to hell, and it didn't deliver. Which actually retroactively ruins the story of Vol 1 and 2. I genuinely liked the twist in Vol 2, even if it does open up some plotholes (why wasn't AIDA a problem in Roots if it was apparently that prevalent?), and the devs said "YEAH! You though you saw everything!? NUH-UH! NOW we're gonna start some SERIOUS poo poo! YEAH"

Then from the opening cutscene of Vol 3 it was just let down after let down. The villain's motivations turn out to be dumb as gently caress, essentially turning out that he was jerking the audience around for 2 games and roughly half the anime.Then they press the reset button and suddenly OH HEY VILLAIN FROM IMOQ! Nevermind that your existence is completely impossible at this point! nevermind that it has almost nothing to do with the main character's primary motivations (which is .hack's thing)!
Villain 1 gets off scot free, and pretty much fulfills what he sets out to do, I guess. He never learns his lesson, he is never seriously called out that he is the source of all the problems in Roots and GU and the series seems to think he's a tragic villain when in reality he is a gently caress-up who tries to undo his mistakes with more gently caress-ups.

I hate to sound vague, but these are end story spoilers that really break GU. And because of its multi-media presentation, having a bad story in vol 3 means that the story becomes worse in Roots, Vol 1 and Vol 2.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

As dfar as I am aware there only a few game with fake internet. The whole .hack series is in a fake mmo, there is sword online with the same concept but from what people says here the game would be pretty fun if it wasn't machine translated, The fake internet in front mission 3 is a lot of fun and a good way to dump exposition on the player. A lot of shin megami tensei feature the internet or computers in one way or the other. The whole shadowrun game universe. The megamen network series is pretty much internet the video game.

Did I miss something.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Akiba's Trip has something like Twitter.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Which managed to singlehandedly create an actual twitter shitstorm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bleusilences posted:

As dfar as I am aware there only a few game with fake internet. The whole .hack series is in a fake mmo, there is sword online with the same concept but from what people says here the game would be pretty fun if it wasn't machine translated, The fake internet in front mission 3 is a lot of fun and a good way to dump exposition on the player. A lot of shin megami tensei feature the internet or computers in one way or the other. The whole shadowrun game universe. The megamen network series is pretty much internet the video game.

Did I miss something.
steins;gate is a visual novel but it has sequences where you check fake 2chan and read posts about dragonball z power levels