Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

etalian posted:

Shallow Alto is a horrible place

The average Palo Altan is a model "liberal". They're all for gay marriage, abortion, and environmental protection (in the form of anti-development NIMBYing mostly*), but will bitch and whine about those goddamn overpaid city employees and their pensions at the drop of a hat while also whining when the free noon concerts in the park get taken away when they get their wishes and the city budget is slashed.

*My dad's girlfriend's mother is the prime example of this. Grew up poor on a farm in eastern Colorado, went to Berkeley for close to free back in the 50s by giving half a poo poo about wanting to learn, bought several houses back when it was cheap around here, and now spends most of her time trying to prevent astroturf fields, apartment complexes, and cell phone relay towers from being built, which she feels will "ruin the town's charm" and "hurt the environment".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Kill all California boomers and anyone they can gift their properties to.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

VikingofRock posted:

That's pretty surprising to me. I would have assumed that Santa Barbara was fairly solidly Democratic, especially with the university there.

CPColin posted:

San Luis Obispo County is in the same district and generally leans more to the right. So do the 100k people living in Santa Maria.

Yeah, the district is much larger than just the county of Santa Barbara. Not only is SLO in there, but a chunk of Ventura.

The city of Santa Barbara and the immediately surrounding areas are very solidly blue. Even the rich areas tend to lean blue though there are plenty of obnoxious rich conservative shitheels (I guess there's enough goddamn hollywood liberals like that Oprah to balance them out). The more rural / northern parts of the county lean more conservative, but not enough to matter really. As a county, Santa Barbara is still solidly blue and in fact tends to be the most liberal county in Southern California (see Prop 8 map as an example).

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Which is a good thing than constantly changing your address every six months. I'd rather my vote affect my permanent residence than my temporary one.

Some people really hate the idea that students might vote somewhere they only live for a few years (it certainly comes up in bitchfests about UCSB students, who admittedly can be obnoxious fucks). But even if the individuals change, the student population as a whole is a consistent and permanent population. I have no problem with students getting their views represented.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Choadmaster posted:

Some people really hate the idea that students might vote somewhere they only live for a few years (it certainly comes up in bitchfests about UCSB students, who admittedly can be obnoxious fucks). But even if the individuals change, the student population as a whole is a consistent and permanent population. I have no problem with students getting their views represented.
Sometimes the trick here is to have the campus not technically be a part of the city so you can systematically exclude everyone who lives in student housing.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Holding local elections in June is also a reliable way to exclude students.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

ShadowHawk posted:

Sometimes the trick here is to have the campus not technically be a part of the city so you can systematically exclude everyone who lives in student housing.

That actually applies here; UCSB and the community the majority of the students live in are in an unincorporated part of the county (they are actually not even near the Santa Barbara city limits* so I assume this wasn't an intentional attempt to exclude).

* Excepting the weird noncontiguous chunk of city surrounding the airport.

VVV LOL yes, that was a funny little trick.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 10, 2015

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It's contiguous, if you count the little strip of SB city limits that extends out in the ocean!

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Honestly I'm a big fan of just allowing people to vote in whatever locality they choose to register in. Mere housing residency is not a good proxy for where you are politically vested and should be represented.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

ShadowHawk posted:

Honestly I'm a big fan of just allowing people to vote in whatever locality they choose to register in. Mere housing residency is not a good proxy for where you are politically vested and should be represented.

So you're a fan of busloads of Republicans/Democrats traveling to other districts and casting their votes there in order to influence election outcomes?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

enraged_camel posted:

So you're a fan of busloads of Republicans/Democrats traveling to other districts and casting their votes there in order to influence election outcomes?
Yeah pretty much. I figure it'll work out on average. People ungerrymandering themselves results in something not unlike proportional representation.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
As long as it stays at one person, one vote.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Which is a good thing than constantly changing your address every six months. I'd rather my vote affect my permanent residence than my temporary one.

It's good that you're being realistic about your post-college chances.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

ShadowHawk posted:

Yeah pretty much. I figure it'll work out on average. People ungerrymandering themselves results in something not unlike proportional representation.

For excellent support, just look at Bleeding Kansas. Oh, wait...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ProperGanderPusher posted:

The average Palo Altan is a model "liberal". They're all for gay marriage, abortion, and environmental protection (in the form of anti-development NIMBYing mostly*), but will bitch and whine about those goddamn overpaid city employees and their pensions at the drop of a hat while also whining when the free noon concerts in the park get taken away when they get their wishes and the city budget is slashed.

*My dad's girlfriend's mother is the prime example of this. Grew up poor on a farm in eastern Colorado, went to Berkeley for close to free back in the 50s by giving half a poo poo about wanting to learn, bought several houses back when it was cheap around here, and now spends most of her time trying to prevent astroturf fields, apartment complexes, and cell phone relay towers from being built, which she feels will "ruin the town's charm" and "hurt the environment".

Charm in Palo Alto means preserving historic brady bunch style ranch houses that somehow sell for $2 million.

The comments section for their fish wrapper newspaper is always hilarious with things like ranting how VTA brings in scary poor people to rob the neighborhood.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

etalian posted:

Charm in Palo Alto means preserving historic brady bunch style ranch houses that somehow sell for $2 million.

The comments section for their fish wrapper newspaper is always hilarious with things like ranting how VTA brings in scary poor people to rob the neighborhood.

Makes sense, since only old people read local newspapers for reasons other than chuckling at the police blotter.

Not pictured in the section below: "A call came in about a suspicious person in the neighborhood. Police discover it was only an African-American male on a walk."

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

ThirdPartyView posted:

For excellent support, just look at Bleeding Kansas. Oh, wait...
If you don't want people to have a vote in the city government that matters most to them, why even bother with this whole democracy spectacle?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

etalian posted:

A friend of mine is a palo alto cop. Spends a lot of time on noise complaints from running weed whackers and blowers. That and waiting close to the epa border waiting for calls for backup.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ron Jeremy posted:

A friend of mine is a palo alto cop. Spends a lot of time on noise complaints from running weed whackers and blowers. That and waiting close to the epa border waiting for calls for backup.

I like the story how facebook paid the menlo park PD to hire a new full time officer.

I guess it's the price to pay for being next to scary EPA.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Makes sense, since only old people read local newspapers for reasons other than chuckling at the police blotter.

Not pictured in the section below: "A call came in about a suspicious person in the neighborhood. Police discover it was only an African-American male on a walk."

I want to know where that burrito was from.

to0terfish
Apr 4, 2015

Pork Pro

withak posted:

Holding local elections in June is also a reliable way to exclude students.

How do you figure?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Im_drunk posted:

How do you figure?

Because if they're going away to school, but are registered to vote in the county where their school is at rather than their parents' house, they're likely to be gone over the summer break and thus unable to vote. Sure they could absentee ballot, but youth voter turn out is already low as gently caress without factoring in how many students are going to bother to apply for an absentee ballot and send it in. It's the usual voter disenfranchisement strategy of throwing up enough roadblocks to discourage turnout.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Im_drunk posted:

How do you figure?

Students not in summer school often are kicked out of dorms between semesters by June Election Day and they're not gonna couch surf for suffrage before going home for the summer and living off campus is going to be an even more ridiculous financial pinch on a student. And for standard elections they're probably really busy with those projects that decide those letters that decide their future by November Election Day and may cast unexamined ballots if they can get around to casting them at all.

We could get into the details of how weird it'd look to election officials to see someone switching registration to be eligible for whatever elections they're in town for (if most of them wouldn't reject such switching since it's easy to feed to a right-wing base (read: most political bases of significance and coherence in America, even the Democrat ones) as "totally election fraud trust us we're election officials don't ask too many questions about the role of government in ARE RIGHTS") but the barriers to actually voting as a student are pretty obvious already.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Apr 11, 2015

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
The 4th District Court of Appeals is due to rule on the legality of tiered water pricing this week. If the court upholds the lower court ruling, tiered water pricing will be illegal in Orange County, making it that much harder to cut water usage.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

The 4th District Court of Appeals is due to rule on the legality of tiered water pricing this week. If the court upholds the lower court ruling, tiered water pricing will be illegal in Orange County, making it that much harder to cut water usage.

Sounds like there's a potential backup plan if the water districts decide to use it by including more parameters into deciding the cost of the water service (actual source of water, etc.) Get a creative enough bureaucrat and it might not be that big of a deal.

It would be in Orange County that this happened, though.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ComradeCosmobot posted:

it came from Orange County

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
LAUSD wants a $1.3 Billion refund for their lovely iPad program. While the article does make it sound like they got screwed somewhat by the curriculum provider, it also sounds like the school district didn't exactly do their due diligence.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

quote:

Nearly a year ago, L.A. Unified sent Apple a letter demanding that it address problems with the Pearson curriculum.

I'm curious as to the details of this deal, that presumably explain why they think the hardware manufacturer is responsible for some other company's software.

Also, why why why does anyone ever give Pearson money for anything?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The answer is always: read who is part of the company's management and what their backgrounds are and what sort of loving vampires they most likely are.

https://www.pearson.com/about-us/board-of-directors.html
Revenue: Over $5 bil.
Employees: Over 10,000

U.S. Subsidiary
http://www.pearsoned.com/

Some Deloitte douches probably recommended them to the LA stakeholders of the project (then quietly slipped away). Apple was probably in on it to some part but the article also states there were no other choices offered other than Pearson.

The large organization I work for has recently spent a large sum conducting "online" assessments that were pushed by some consulting firm and they ended up being completely worthless. There is a lot of money in corp/edu "education" and "training".

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 16, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Choadmaster posted:

I'm curious as to the details of this deal, that presumably explain why they think the hardware manufacturer is responsible for some other company's software.

Also, why why why does anyone ever give Pearson money for anything?

The deal is that computers can be bought with construction funding and you can use that money to pay for the software that comes with it. But I bet they couldn't find a way to pay for Pearson without bundling it in with the computers via Apple and using construction funding.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
George Lucas is trolling his neighbors. After they shot down his plan to build a studio on his property, he thought to himself "What can I put here instead that will infuriate Marin-dwellers the most?" and the answer was obvious: poor people, in the form of a 224-unit affordable housing development. He was partnering with some charitable organization for a while, but then they bailed out. So he said "gently caress it, I'll just pay for it myself."

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/04/15/george-lucas-planning-payback-with-massive-affordable-housing-project-on-his-marin-county-land/

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Saw this op-ed in the LA Times on San Francisco's Tenderloin, thought of this thread and smiled.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

withak posted:

George Lucas is trolling his neighbors. After they shot down his plan to build a studio on his property, he thought to himself "What can I put here instead that will infuriate Marin-dwellers the most?" and the answer was obvious: poor people, in the form of a 224-unit affordable housing development. He was partnering with some charitable organization for a while, but then they bailed out. So he said "gently caress it, I'll just pay for it myself."

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/04/15/george-lucas-planning-payback-with-massive-affordable-housing-project-on-his-marin-county-land/

If there's one thing Lucas knows how to do it's troll.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

withak posted:

Next troll plan will be building a vaccination clinic on his property

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

withak posted:

Good. This place has too many NIMBY assholes who somehow manage to continuously sucker other assholes into paying multiple millions of dollars for tiny as poo poo houses while keeping the rents for non-millionaires inflated to a ridiculous degree.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

George Lucas is loving terrible at making movies, but since I first heard about that affordable housing thing he's doing he's become something of a hero of mine. Godspeed you wretched goon.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

"Affordable housing" at skywalker ranch is probably gonna be filled by his own employees though, maybe?

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

withak posted:

Holy poo poo that is amazing.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Enigma89 posted:

Holy poo poo that is amazing.

It's exactly what I would do if I was a billionaire. Lucas owns.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
He's a huge dick, but he's being a dick to rich people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Kenning posted:

George Lucas is loving terrible at making movies, but since I first heard about that affordable housing thing he's doing he's become something of a hero of mine. Godspeed you wretched goon.

I really dislike star wars...but I'm with you 100% Is there any way for Marin to be able to shut it down? Didn't google try to build a bunch of housing in mountain view and get completely shut down? I don't think it was low income housing though...