Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Never played FFV. That's the one that started the job system thing, right? I like the system in theory but in practice I get decision paralyzed real easy :shobon:

Unlike FFV, you get new jobs one or two at a time, so you have plenty of time to ease into new stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
So after being able to upgrade to a New 3DS with Xenoblade included for only $80 out of pocket, I am blown away by the face tracking. I read about it every other post here at launch, but you really have to see it to believe it. Goodbye lovely sweet-spot!

It doesn't detect my 16 GB Micro SD card though, which is a bummer.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Ragequit posted:

So after being able to upgrade to a New 3DS with Xenoblade included for only $80 out of pocket, I am blown away by the face tracking. I read about it every other post here at launch, but you really have to see it to believe it. Goodbye lovely sweet-spot!

Format it as FAT32, put it into device right after that, and it should work fine

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I'm not buying the new one until they make another cool special edition or at least more of the Majora ones :colbert:

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

gently caress Cave world in Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D. it was bad in the Wii ver. and its still bad in the 3DS ver.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The Milkman posted:

I'm not buying the new one until they make another cool special edition or at least more of the Majora ones :colbert:

True, a paint job seeps into the system and changes the improved technology.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Etrian Mystery Dungeon owns and is doing a fine job distracting me from Xenoblade.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
You know after the patch I am loving Codename STEAM. I rented it from Gamefly after renewing them for a dollar and it arrived the day before the patch hit. Very impressed on how fast the enemy turns are now. Game still has some issues, but honestly I am enjoying it a lot overall. Shame Lucina isn't out for another month since I would loved to been able to use her in the game..if I can ever pre-order her.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ok the concept of man-eating robots is kinda silly but drat I'm on board after seeing this invasion part. Dunban's pretty cool you guys

Also took me two tries but managed to kill that loving caterpillar :supaburn:

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 10, 2015

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Xenoblade 3DS is definitely blurrier compared to the Wii version but I'm super impressed that they somehow got the game working fine on the 3DS.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also took me two tries but managed to kill that loving caterpillar :supaburn:

You've done well

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Ragequit posted:

The face tracking really is awesome. I get ghosting on some things, start to get annoyed, and then turn off the face tracking to remember how good I have it.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

as a man with glasses i scoff at your silly face tracking

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I wish they made the sidequests less of a slog on the 3DS version, but that probably didn't happen did it?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah I have a feeling I'll be playing this game plugged into a wall outlet quite often.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Volt Catfish posted:

I wish they made the sidequests less of a slog on the 3DS version, but that probably didn't happen did it?

It's the same exact game.

What I don't get is why they didn't redesign the bottom screen where the character information and map are. The map is pretty small and there's space there that they could have used to fill up the screen better I think.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Skeezy posted:

It's the same exact game.

What I don't get is why they didn't redesign the bottom screen where the character information and map are. The map is pretty small and there's space there that they could have used to fill up the screen better I think.

Unfortunately, they really didn't put any effort into remastering the UI. They just ported all the original icons and assets, often scaling them sloppily. Some stuff comes out okay (most of what's on the upper screen looks fine), but some elements just look gross. Considering that the portraits, meters, and minimap circle are all fixed in place, it shouldn't have been a big undertaking to tailor them to look nicer and add some kind of backdrop.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

I bought the Xenoblade remake not realizing it was only for the new 3ds (blame skimming the amazon listing), and now I'm divided. I DO have a copy of wii Xenoblade, and I'm hesitant to upgrade to something that seems only slightly better than my regular 3ds. I'm worried about getting the new 3DS and then having nothing spectacular coming out to separate it from the old one.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Gyre posted:

I bought the Xenoblade remake not realizing it was only for the new 3ds (blame skimming the amazon listing), and now I'm divided. I DO have a copy of wii Xenoblade, and I'm hesitant to upgrade to something that seems only slightly better than my regular 3ds. I'm worried about getting the new 3DS and then having nothing spectacular coming out to separate it from the old one.

Monster Hunter 4 is better on it and the 3D is better. Just go get it you scrub.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Yeah I'm enjoying MH4U on my normal 3DSXL but I saw a friend of mine playing on a New 3DS and holy poo poo its so smooth and pretty.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Neddy Seagoon posted:

When you all get to Gaur Plains, do the sidequests for the guys in the cave. You've got a relatively brief window to get those done (only as far as evacuating them to safety out of Gaur Plains), and the rewards are decent iirc. There are other time (Ie; Plot event)-sensitive sidequests later in the game, but those have a much, much larger window to be completed in if you have any interest in them at all. The time-sensitive ones are marked with a clock, incidentally.

I just got here, will I find them naturally or should I just roam the field looking for a cave?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Went to pick up Xenoblade 3D and was surprised how many copies were in the store, must've been at least 30 if not more. I guess Nintendo really wants to make sure the debacle that happened with the original's print run doesn't repeat itself.

Overall pretty impressive, game runs smooth and looks pretty drat good, though the extreme close-up of Shulk's face at the start still looks awful. 3D effects are most noticeable in cutscenes, actual gameplay gives you full control of the camera and since most of the visuals are either close quarters combat or looking at far off vistas, it'll really only interesting half the time and completely invisible the other half.

I get the feeling whoever worked on this wasn't given access to the original assets that Monolith has, so while the ingame visuals are fantastic and truly impressive for a portable game, the UI is kinda slapdash and sloppy, and worst of all could have been really easily fixed if they could alter those original assets or maybe create new ones. Like, the minimap, it's poorly scaled and looks pretty ugly, which is probably a result of not being able to divorce it from the clock that wraps around it. If they could do that, they could have a much better looking map and clock. Same with the quest boxes, which would look a lot better if the "Accept/Cancel" box was moved to the lower screen, allowing the info box to take up the whole of the top screen... but without access to the original code it's all squished together on the top screen, which makes the text extra small and ugly. They can move UI elements, but so far I haven't seen any that have been changed to look better on the smaller screens, and a lot of them could have benefited from that. Alas, that's what happens when a third party ports the game instead of the original developers.

But other than some slightly blurred text it's still the exact same game, which means everybody should go buy it cause it's pretty fantastic and handily steals the Best RPG on 3DS crown. (opinion subject to change upon completion of the game ETA sometime next year)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Went to pick up Xenoblade 3D and was surprised how many copies were in the store, must've been at least 30 if not more. I guess Nintendo really wants to make sure the debacle that happened with the original's print run doesn't repeat itself.

I think it might be more that it's not actually selling well. :smith:

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

My copy of Xenoblade just arrived in the mail so I know what i'm doing for the rest of the night. :toot:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So I gues best buy got some MM 3DS systems in and a guy on reddit is providing stock updates if you're looking

http://www.reddit.com/r/3DS/comments/3262c7/limited_edition_majoras_mask_new_3dsxls_popping/

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I just got here, will I find them naturally or should I just roam the field looking for a cave?

The story guides you there.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
And you want to get there fast, as that is where your dedicated healer is.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Anora posted:

And you want to get there fast, as that is where your dedicated healer is.

I like how they give you your tank and healer almost immediately, but it does discourage trying the other characters you get later.

Thankfully, this is remedied when X gives you four character slots for your party!

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Ugh. Why does Pokemon Rumble World have StreetPass achievements for free diamonds? I hate when games lock stuff behind StreetPass poo poo since I live in a farm town, and I'm too lazy to set up one of those fake StreetPass things/I'm not sure my >10 year old wifi router can even handle one.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Suspicious Cook posted:

I like how they give you your tank and healer almost immediately, but it does discourage trying the other characters you get later.

Thankfully, this is remedied when X gives you four character slots for your party!

Well the encouraging part comes from mixing party members together to build the affinity and learn new stuff from that, so they kind of run it back.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

So far I am glad that I decided to buy Xenoblade 3D. I really want to play X on Wii U, but I'm getting into how the flow of fighting/movement/targeting goes. I'm not used to rpg's in general, but I wanted something for the New 3DS.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Awesome! posted:

as a man with glasses i scoff at your silly face tracking

Do you have thick-rimmed glasses? I use wire frames and the face tracking has worked fine for me.

It loses its poo poo if I wear a hat though

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

EightFlyingCars posted:

Do you have thick-rimmed glasses? I use wire frames and the face tracking has worked fine for me.

It loses its poo poo if I wear a hat though

I have thick wild hipster glasses and it works fine if I'm not head banging.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Ugh. Why does Pokemon Rumble World have StreetPass achievements for free diamonds? I hate when games lock stuff behind StreetPass poo poo since I live in a farm town, and I'm too lazy to set up one of those fake StreetPass things/I'm not sure my >10 year old wifi router can even handle one.

You can fake those?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
They're not exactly fake; you can configure your router to join the chain of Streetpass relays that Nintendo has set up at Nintendo Zones, so that you can get passes from around the country. It's a pain to do, though, and involves changing your SSID and MAC address.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Argue posted:

They're not exactly fake; you can configure your router to join the chain of Streetpass relays that Nintendo has set up at Nintendo Zones, so that you can get passes from around the country. It's a pain to do, though, and involves changing your SSID and MAC address.

Basically fake. You're not making a relay to queue users that actually pass near your house like a McDonald's wifi does. You're pretending to be one of a random rotating list of McDonald's that people actually passed in a mystery city.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah, I will just stick with Streetpass Sunday down at Gameover.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
Xenoblade is really fun, but I think it looks better without the 3D on :prepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

zip zop zoobitybop posted:

Xenoblade is really fun, but I think it looks better without the 3D on :prepop:

Same, it's really bad and distracting.