Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.
Hmm okay yeah that's way different than how I was playing him. I was trying to keep the Axe up and going more brawly. I definitely felt like I was at a disadvantage when doing that though since none of his moves feel super quick.

So I should be trying to keep distance and whittle people down at range? What's the typical finisher? Gyroid when they are at 100+%?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

KicksYouInHalf posted:

Hmm okay yeah that's way different than how I was playing him. I was trying to keep the Axe up and going more brawly. I definitely felt like I was at a disadvantage when doing that though since none of his moves feel super quick.

So I should be trying to keep distance and whittle people down at range? What's the typical finisher? Gyroid when they are at 100+%?

Spam bowling balls at the side after you knock them off

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Dash cancel firecrackers

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.

Reiley posted:

Dash cancel firecrackers

Are there any decent video resources for the new smash games? I've read a but about some stuff like dash canceling but I'm too stupid to fully understand something unless I see it in action.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

You can do an upsmash out of a dash animation. Usually it's just hit the c-stick or right analog up while dashing.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Is there a way to get the camera to zoom in closer?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Is there a way to get the camera to zoom in closer?

Get closer to the enemy.

That's about it. Or just use the wrong aspect ratio for your TV.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

KicksYouInHalf posted:

Down smash to up smash seems pretty effective or chasing off the side with slingshots.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

codenameFANGIO posted:

I finally decided to vote for Mallo from Pushmo. He deserves to be a fighter, and he will be. I wish I could vote again so I could vote for more Mii fighter styles.

I've actually been considering this myself, magic user is definitely one I'd like to see. And maybe Beast or something like that which could give moves like Sonic, Bowser or the Pokemon characters.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

KicksYouInHalf posted:

Villager's attacks generally aren't quick, but most of them linger a long time. What I've seen most well-versed Villagers do is keep their distance with forward- and back-air, throw Gyroids whenever possible, and if their opponent approaches, keep them at bay with up-, down- and neutral-airs, all of which last a very long time. Neutral-air also comes out quite fast and hits very hard, so its a safe move to use if you're being pressured.

For kill moves, his back throw is definitely up there, but every other kill move requires some set up (unless you get lucky with three turnips or something). Getting them offstage and waiting with a forward smash works sometimes, but people catch onto that quick. Villager's Axe comes out crazy fast, so you have the right idea there, but save it only for kill moves because the cooldown doesn't justify the damage. If you can bury your opponent with down-smash, never use forward-smash and always use up-smash instead: buried opponents take half the knockback than usual, but up-smash will pull them out of the ground so the rest of the attack will hit full-force.

I don't think Villager has the brightest of futures in singles, to be honest. He's annoying as hell to fight against, but if you play one really good Villager, you've played them all, really. He gets shut down by speedier characters with lots of disjoint like Zero Suit Samus and Captain Falcon, and Fox can reflect everything so he double-loses against him. That said, he might be a decent pick against Diddy, mostly because, if you can pocket the banana, Diddy can't spawn another one. If you have a free moment, you can press B twice to take the banana out and put it back, refreshing the timer on the pocket.

I wouldn't be too quick to look for another main, though. Villager is the rudest character in doubles. If you enter doubles tournaments regularly, everyone will want to be your friend.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

there are too many mii fighters in the game already. we do not need more

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

sharrrk posted:

there are too many mii fighters in the game already. we do not need more

The dlc fighters will be Mii Runner, Mii Floater and Mii Planter

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Aston posted:

i'll scream

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Wolf is returning to smash 4, as a Mii costume

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Xbox Live avatar as a third party character

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Aston posted:

Wolf is returning to smash 4, as a Mii costume

Don't say these things

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
so I bought this game a month ago after not playing since leaving the "pro" scene in melee and apparently samus is good in this one again? but the asians are even better....

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Reiley posted:

Don't say these things

Yeah, we don't need any more veterans. Get us some new blood for a change.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Tonetta posted:

so I bought this game a month ago after not playing since leaving the "pro" scene in melee and apparently samus is good in this one again? but the asians are even better....

Yeah

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Reiley posted:

Don't say these things

I'm going to use the Wolf hat for my robb stark Mii

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Aston posted:

Give me a Mii Nintendog Trainer who attacks by throwing dogs at you and I'll buy that. I will so buy that.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Aston posted:

I can't believe this..... such sass, after everything we've been through together. Unreal.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Aston posted:

lol

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

SilverSupernova posted:

Yeah, we don't need any more veterans. Get us some new blood for a change.
There can be no peace until Pichu.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Tonetta posted:

samus is good in this one again?

only after she takes off the armor and straps on some big-rear end heels

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Rayman hoax guy still doin his thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vnq2lbF8YU

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

The man is a hero.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Banjo Kazooie would fit so well in Smash. I can see all the moves in my head. It'd be perfect! Not to mention all that great music... Spire Mountain would make for a cool stage. It's all there, Nintendo! Make the dream come true!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I've been thinking a lot about K Rool in smash lately,

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

mabels big day posted:

About letting little Diddy drop?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

mabels big day posted:

Sounds like a personal problem.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

It would be cool if K Rool, for his grab, put people in a barrel, like he did to Donkey Kong's friend Diddy Kong in the first Donkey Kong Country game.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Since K.Rool changes his gimmicks for every game, in this one he should be a Vampire Killer. Imagine him throwing daggers, crosses, holy water and axes around, using his whip to swing against the king of swing himself. What a horrible night to have your banana hoard stolen.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
So I have much fun with DeDeDe and Wario. Are there any other characters that mostly revolve around normals with their smash attacks being good recovery/utility?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dizz posted:

So I have much fun with DeDeDe and Wario. Are there any other characters that mostly revolve around normals with their smash attacks being good recovery/utility?

all of them

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I want K Rool's moveset to be based around his appearance in DKC2, but his crown and robe appearance is more iconic. I don't know if it would look weird for the kingly looking K. Rool to be holding a blunderbuss.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I think his DKC2 and DKC1 appearances are easily the most remembered so it'd be OK to have moves from both. I approve the Blunderbuss.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
I think Banjo/Kazooie is the best choice for a newcomer. I didn't vote for them because there's no way they make it in, but they've got the full package - great games with great material to draw from, designs fit well in Smash, diverse moveset possibilty, lots of nostalgia, and beloved by fans. If only they weren't 3rd-party and unlikely to ever appear on another Nintendo system.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

K. Rool's side B should be the blunderbuss jet charge. Have it not stop when it hits a shield, and have it go perfectly horizontal, for recovery. And he has to do the silly look at the camera too. The standard B should be a spiked cannon, that the longer you charge it, the more it curves. There's a ton of variations on those two moves that he uses in DKC2, so there is all his customs for those two as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Would K Rool draw from his appearance in DK64? I, for one, say yes.

• Locked thread