Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

NESguerilla posted:

Why does netflix put "a netflix original" next to a bunch of BBC shows on US Netflix?

They have exclusive U.S. rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
People used to ask this question about shows on cable all the time. "Original" has always meant "owns the distribution rights for the first local run".

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Personally I always thought Dolly Dearest was the superior film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQnDhOl5Fbs

The film peaks at 1:22:04

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lycus posted:

People used to ask this question about shows on cable all the time. "Original" has always meant "owns the distribution rights for the first local run".

I figured that was the case. It just sounds weird when they actually produce original content and then some of it is pretty obviously sourced from other places.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Basically every Hulu 'original series' is a British import.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

girth brooks part 2 posted:

I just noticed the '78 Invasion of the Body Snatchers got put up at some point. It's good, if you never seen it you should probably watch it. It's got Donald Sutherland, Jeff Goldblum, and Leonard Nemoy, along with some amazingly creepy parts. Donald Sutherland sleeping in the garden is an absolutely classic scene.

Also, I don't know if it's streaming anywhere, but everyone really needs to watch the original. It's such an amazing movie that is still totally watchable despite its age.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Three Kings has one of the most abrupt shifts in tone. It's a lighthearted romp through the desert, let's get drunk and shoot some guns and go party and find some gold! Then, headshot, and the cinema is silent for the rest of the runtime. Which is precisely the point but I always appreciated that.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

girth brooks part 2 posted:

I just noticed the '78 Invasion of the Body Snatchers got put up at some point. It's good, if you never seen it you should probably watch it. It's got Donald Sutherland, Jeff Goldblum, and Leonard Nemoy, along with some amazingly creepy parts. Donald Sutherland sleeping in the garden is an absolutely classic scene.

I watched it for October this year and I really liked this one. It's a bit off-kilter and extremely paranoid. It's in '70's San Francisco and it makes very good use of the loation, and you get the quintessential versions of those three guys.

You also get that iconic ending.

blood_dot_biz
Feb 24, 2013

coyo7e posted:

You can do this via the netflix website. Go into your recently watched list.

Hmmm, that works but at this point the list looks like it's literally cycling through everything I've ever watched. A few days ago it only had like 10 things on it and I got it down to 4 by letting the timer go to the end on a few, but since it's showing everything now I'd have to clear my entire viewing history list movie by movie. Bleh, I'll just live with it I guess.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
When is Daredevil going up?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Jose Oquendo posted:

Midnight pacific time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Holy poo poo Preservation is dumb. The amount of completely implausible poo poo that happens surpasses just about any movie I can think of off of the top of my head. I don't think I went two minutes without thinking "That would never work in a million years, or why is this character doing this?" It's not just big stuff. Small inconsequential events usually make just as little sense.

Weirdly it's shot pretty well and has some solid actors, but woof, what a terrible movie.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

Friday?

E: It's up.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

NESguerilla posted:

Holy poo poo Preservation is dumb. The amount of completely implausible poo poo that happens surpasses just about any movie I can think of off of the top of my head. I don't think I went two minutes without thinking "That would never work in a million years, or why is this character doing this?" It's not just big stuff. Small inconsequential events usually make just as little sense.

Weirdly it's shot pretty well and has some solid actors, but woof, what a terrible movie.

It seemed to be trying to do some of the same things as The Expelled (at least thematically), but was way way worse. I'll agree that nothing about it makes any sense or has any internal logic. I think there's maybe a good movie in there, but it would take someone else doing it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

NESguerilla posted:

Why does netflix put "a netflix original" next to a bunch of BBC shows on US Netflix?

Exclusive right in the US, I believe.

Best movie put up in a while.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I just finished Wilfred. I thought it ended pretty well; the last season had a few places where it gets slow but being a directionless former dog owner myself it completely crushed me when Wilfred died, like I'm about to tear up writing this. It was sort of bittersweet that Ryan was just insane the whole time. It really couldn't have turned out to be anything else, and him being able to "keep" the Wilfred hallucination is a kind of twisted happy ending.

Crank is as close to Grand Theft Auto: The Movie as we'll probably ever get.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

Someone here has probably watched all of Daredevil by now. How was it?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The first couple episodes remind me of a Whedon joint with better camerawork and a bigger stunt budget

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

morestuff posted:

The first couple episodes remind me of a Whedon joint with better camerawork and a bigger stunt budget

It's got a hint of Angel's premise (righting wrongs, fighting an uphill battle against corruption, helping the helpless) which isn't unusual considering the creator, Drew Goddard, as a Whedon alumni. Only just watched the first episode but I'm pretty impressed already, and it's nice to go into a Marvel production with very little comic book knowledge on the property for once.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Skywalker OG posted:

You also get that iconic ending.

I saw the '78 version once, and the ending has stuck with me vividly ever since. I never want to watch it again.

I'm on episode 4 of Daredevil and it's pretty good. I'm really enjoying it.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Four episodes in, I'm prepared to say Daredevil has the best fight scenes I've ever seen in a series.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Once it gets going WolfCop is enjoyable fun, and exactly what you expect and hope for out of a movie named WolfCop. On the other hand 30 minutes is way too long to take to get going for a movie like that with only a 75 minute run time.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

I felt kind of let down by WolfCop, considering the amazing title. I wouldn't quite call it non-enjoyable though.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The sidekick in Wolfcop is hilarious.
"Hey, don't forget to kill someone on the way to the car!"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anybody watched Starry Eyes? Looks interesting but I'm not feeling that adventurous after thinking Preservation looked interesting last night.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
Blue Ruin is a good comic book movie. I know it's not from a comic book, but it's like a good adaptation from one, or a short story.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Blue Ruin is a good entry in the new subgenre of "2010s movies that evoke Rolling Thunder" along with Out of the Furnace.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

NESguerilla posted:

Anybody watched Starry Eyes? Looks interesting but I'm not feeling that adventurous after thinking Preservation looked interesting last night.

It's okay, but not much more than okay. It starts strong and ends strong, but definitely falls flat in the middle third with some pretty rote body horror stuff that's been done a million times before.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Blue Ruin is a good entry in the new subgenre of "2010s movies that evoke Rolling Thunder" along with Out of the Furnace.

So is Bad Turn Worse.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Gilok posted:

Four episodes in, I'm prepared to say Daredevil has the best fight scenes I've ever seen in a series.

I'll second this. Just watched the first couple episodes and the fight choreography outclasses a lot of the stuff in big-budget blockbusters.

The series looks really good too. Great colors and lighting.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sarchasm posted:

I'll second this. Just watched the first couple episodes and the fight choreography outclasses a lot of the stuff in big-budget blockbusters.

The series looks really good too. Great colors and lighting.
For real. I'm only on episode 3 now, but this is far and away some of the best hand to hand combat I've seen in any form of media outside of The Raid movies in a long time. It feels so real.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Yeah, the choreography is really incredible.

The lightning and camera work is so far above half of the stuff in the movies it's almost embarrassing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does he ever get a cool daredevil costume? Didn't see one in the trailer.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

NESguerilla posted:

From what I've heard, he does get one later in the season, but for a while he just has a homemade suit like Peter Parker's homemade suit before he makes his Spider-Man costume.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

NESguerilla posted:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The DIY suit is pretty baller, not sure how I feel about the molded-rubber one.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Is there no more UFC on Netflix? where could I find some?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

The DIY suit is pretty baller, not sure how I feel about the molded-rubber one.

Why is this a spoiler

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
molded rubber suits and whether a super hero has one is integral to my enjoyment of super hero fiction

is daredevil really that good? my favourite marvel stuff so far has been the winter soldier and guardians of the galaxy, how does it stand up compared to those 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

cat doter posted:

molded rubber suits and whether a super hero has one is integral to my enjoyment of super hero fiction

is daredevil really that good? my favourite marvel stuff so far has been the winter soldier and guardians of the galaxy, how does it stand up compared to those 2?

I'm only four episodes in, it doesn't really have the humor of gotg, but it definitely has the fights of winter soldier.

So far it's a good show, it's got characters that are likeable, multiple plot threads that tie into each other, cool fight scenes, absolutely amazing cinematography and lighting.

If you have any interest in any of the things I just said, I'd say you should give it a try. I'm eagerly looking forward to the rest of it. Fisk is a fantastic villain so far, and I can't wait to see where they take him.