Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I didn't actually know Gundam wasn't popular in the US. I never really watched it but it struck me as something almost everybody vaguely aware of anime knows exists. I guess that doesn't directly translate to popularity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Jay O posted:

I feel like I should stop posting in this thread and yet for some reason I always post anyway and you see what happens. :negative:

It is me, I am the cancer that is killing the Internet Critic Thread.

You have become the one who critiques the critics from within the Internet Critic thread. The most meta of all critics. And thus, the ourobouros is complete; the great serpent, ever-devouring itself that is this thread--glory to my master, oh mighty internet ourobouros!

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Mr. Fowl posted:

You have become the one who critiques the critics from within the Internet Critic thread. The most meta of all critics. And thus, the ourobouros is complete; the great serpent, ever-devouring itself that is this thread--glory to my master, oh mighty internet ourobouros!

Man, you guys need to hold off on this poo poo. I haven't gotten the mandatory thread issue cult robes back from the tailor yet.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Jsor posted:

I didn't actually know Gundam wasn't popular in the US. I never really watched it but it struck me as something almost everybody vaguely aware of anime knows exists. I guess that doesn't directly translate to popularity.

Gundam Wing sold very well! Gundam SEED sold pretty good. That is because they were on Toonami. They haven't been re-licensed or re-distributed because you might not be able to sell them now, but they sold back when they were on TV.

Every other Gundam release has just been a money-sink for US licensors. Sometimes it's just a mild moneysink if it was a limited printing, but it's a downright disastrous moneysink when it's not. For an example of Gundam's weird non-penetration in the US, nobody on staff at Anime News Network really reviews Gundam series in full, but neither is there any real demand for it. There's like a Gundam something every year and just...almost no demand for coverage. For the daily streaming coverage feature we started last year, Gundam Build Fighters and G-Reco ranked super-low on the poll for what to cover, and we ended up covering Gundam Build Fighters just because one reviewer offered. (Didn't end up covering G-reco.) For whatever reason, general anime fans don't care about Gundam, whereas big Gundam fans are mostly into Gundam as its own thing outside of anime, and ne'er the twain shall meet. Again, from what I've heard, Star Trek is that way with sci fi nerds in Japan. It's like a Star Trek ghetto.

So yeah, pretty much any nerd in the US and even many non-nerds have heard of Gundam, but it doesn't translate into sales or actual interest in the franchise aaaaaat all apparently. It's pretty interesting!

In Japan, Gundam is basically Star Wars and rules the country with new series and spinoffs and merchandise in perpetuity. So there you go!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
A large part of Gundam's popularity are the games and more importantly, plastic ware or Gunpla specifically. Two things that are not available in the US for the most part. It's just a cultural difference, like how PS4/Xbones are incredibly huge and profitable in the states but absolute garbage fire in Japan because it's mobile or bust.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

Tae posted:

A large part of Gundam's popularity are the games and more importantly, plastic ware or Gunpla specifically. Two things that are not available in the US for the most part. It's just a cultural difference, like how PS4/Xbones are incredibly huge and profitable in the states but absolute garbage fire in Japan because it's mobile or bust.

That's absolutely true, but at the same time, Gunpla's definitely available here too! You can even buy Gundam kits and models at Barnes and Noble! (Not the crazy amount of selection they have in Japan, but all the major stuff that gets released at least.) It's just like Gundam movies and TV where a small but passionate contingent of people buy them. It's a niche within a niche.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Jay O posted:

I feel like I should stop posting in this thread and yet for some reason I always post anyway and you see what happens. :negative:

It is me, I am the cancer that is killing the Internet Critic Thread.

Please don't stop posting, Jay O. Your post are actually interesting and, at the very least, relevant as you are an 'Internet Critic'.

I want to say that SEED and SEED Destiny killed any chance of Gundam being popular in the West. It was that bad, IMO. drat it had some nice plastic model toys though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Jay O posted:

That's absolutely true, but at the same time, Gunpla's definitely available here too! You can even buy Gundam kits and models at Barnes and Noble! (Not the crazy amount of selection they have in Japan, but all the major stuff that gets released at least.) It's just like Gundam movies and TV where a small but passionate contingent of people buy them. It's a niche within a niche.

What state do you live in, because I have not seen any toys in Barnes and Bobles, let alone Gundam.

Mad Lupine posted:

I want to say that SEED and SEED Destiny killed any chance of Gundam being popular in the West. It was that bad, IMO. drat it had some nice plastic model toys though.

It had nothing to do with the show quality, it was because Toonami kept moving SEED in time slots without telling anyone. It was prime time, then late night, then super late night, then at one point was airing at 5 in the morning. It's how FOX killed their shows unofficially by moving them to Friday nights.

It's really laughable that you think quality in any medium, whether anime or not, ultimately determines popularity compared to how much marketing power it gets.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Tae posted:

It had nothing to do with the show quality, it was because Toonami kept moving SEED in time slots without telling anyone. It was prime time, then late night, then super late night, then at one point was airing at 5 in the morning. It's how FOX killed their shows unofficially by moving them to Friday nights.

It's really laughable that you think quality in any medium, whether anime or not, ultimately determines popularity compared to how much marketing power it gets.

I don't know. Maybe it was moved out of prime time because is was that bad.

Seriously though, when it originally aired, we didn't get Cartoon Network in Canada, so it stayed in the same block when it aired here.

Don't really take anything I say seriously. I just really hate SEED and Destiny.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

Tae posted:

What state do you live in, because I have not seen any toys in Barnes and Bobles, let alone Gundam.

I live in Southern California, which might have a great deal to do with it.

Anyway, Gunpla's not hard to get for those who are into it in the US, don't even have to import it (unless it's a more fringe item.)

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

We just need more series' like G Gundam with the Tequila Gundam.

EDIT: I actually kinda feel like playing Armored Core For Answer now or DW Gundam.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I'm one of those "watches gundam" type of anime watchers, I did see a couple other mecha anime. I've seen DBZ, and I liked Haruhi. But outside of that nothing animewise really interests me. :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jay O posted:

I'd love to see what went into the decision to stock Gunpla at B&N. Just seems like a really weird choice for them.

But yeah, it's not exactly hard to get a decent selection outside Japan. Most hobby shops in Australia have a decent Gunpla selection too.

Testekill posted:

EDIT: I actually kinda feel like playing Armored Core For Answer now or DW Gundam.

That would be Gundam: Build Fighters :v:.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

To break up the anime chat, new Half in the Bag - Furious 7 and It Follows

How I didn't see this when they uploaded it, I have no idea.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Yeah I heard that too. Not sure how anyone made it more than a few seconds into Kickassia though.

I think I only watched the first video, and maybe part of the second. I gave up on it after that, though.

I was debating over the last couple of days on whether I should post this or not, but since Kickassia was brought up, I might as well. Angry Joe's announcement about dropping his coverage on Nintendo videos was brought up in the Let's Play Crap Shoot Thread. In response, somebody linked to this account from someone who was hired to help with the sound production for Kickassia.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Max Wilco posted:

I think I only watched the first video, and maybe part of the second. I gave up on it after that, though.

I was debating over the last couple of days on whether I should post this or not, but since Kickassia was brought up, I might as well. Angry Joe's announcement about dropping his coverage on Nintendo videos was brought up in the Let's Play Crap Shoot Thread. In response, somebody linked to this account from someone who was hired to help with the sound production for Kickassia.

"Talking about me HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?"

I can just picture that and it's amazing, he said it in the post but that sounds exactly like a Curb Your Enthusiasm joke.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Seriously, you are actually going to link a 4chan post as a legitimate source? This is about as useful as the info you got of your friend whose uncle worked for Nintendo.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

e X posted:

Seriously, you are actually going to link a 4chan post as a legitimate source? This is about as useful as the info you got of your friend whose uncle worked for Nintendo.

I agree. I meant to mention that the person who posted it over in the Crap Shoot thread also pointed out that it could all be untrue. That's partly why I was on the fence about re-posting it.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 11, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

e X posted:

Let me tell you about that copypaste they like to throw around about Doug and Linkara loving.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I would have loved to seen a video of the RLM guys watching all the Fast And Furious movies and talking about them.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I finally did it. After seven drat months of on and off production, the first half of my review of Sir Billi is finally done. (Skip to the 4:30 mark if you don't follow or give a poo poo about the finale storyline).

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Jay O posted:

Assassination Classroom is still running, and there's not much to say about it? It's a shonen comedy, and a well-executed one, but it's not nearly as weird as its premise could have made it, so most of it is standard anime school plotlines with just enough of a twist on formula to still be unique and fun without breaking out of genre convention at all. It's solid, but it's nothing to write home about either, it feels so firmly like "nice show for 13-year olds" like Naruto or One Piece etc., that I can't add much to it. If you like lighthearted shonen stuff in general, you'll like it. If you don't, it's not quite different enough to change your mind.

Agreed. I don't know what it is about this show, but it feels like it should be so much more than it is and I can't really figure out why I feel that way. I think it's because there's alot of smart and interesting material and then it falls back on the same anime tropes I've seen a million times and I get a little disappointed because the show keeps making me expect something better.

On another note I'm just sick of anime using the same expressions and movements on every character over and over again. Someone is asked a question? Better look down and have sweat appear on their temple while they mutter out an answer. Is a character about to make a determined response? Better cloud their face, ball their fists while they look down and shake their head with a variation between either shouting or saying whatever it is quietly. Do you have a crazy person? Better have their face twist and their eyes go buggy while they laugh crazily. If they have glasses you better believe they're going to constantly push it back on their face carefully with one finger.Assassination Classroom using these responses isn't really the problem though, it's more that every anime I've watched in the past few years does this and it really bothers me that I can call exactly how a character is going to respond or behave in a situation because the responses are so limited.

Where are the confident answers, silent angry stares, etc. It's just weird to me that I don't even see any variation in responses at all and it makes me think that Miyazaki was right in saying that animators in Japan today don't really observe real people and their movements or expressions, they're just anime fans who copy movements and expressions they've seen in other animation.

Asuron fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 11, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Miyazaki was definitely right.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

MonsieurChoc posted:

I just have this bad habit to try to talk about stuff I love to people even when it doesn't fit or they clearly don't care.

Like, G-Reco for example. From my perspective Tomino is one of the greats. He's one of the msot influential directors in the field, did some really great and groundbreaking work, including the original Gundam that became one of the biggest and most influential (and most referenced!) anime franchise. Him returning to Gundam should be huge! Especially after Turn A, which is probably the best Gundam show ever. It helps that (in my opinion) G-Reco was pretty great! Not amazing or perfect, but still pretty drat great.

But, taking five minutes to think about it from an outside perspective, Gundam is a niche franchise that never became popular in the west, and the few times it almost did were series done by people other than Tomino. In fact, none of Tomino's work were ever popular in America, and some people probably only know him as the dude who did Garzey's Wings. So why should they care about this obscure series done on the cheap?

So yeah. I am the Gundam guy.

Tomino is that good, and g reco is legit great.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Assassination Classroom is kind of a better read than it is a watch in my opinion.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Jay O posted:

See also my affection for Lupin and Detective Conan. Big in Japan. America don't care.

I remember enjoying Lupin when it was on the ol' Adult Swim ages ago. However, Conan is where it's at. I can never get enough of bumbling old Richard Moore and his almost entirely awful ideas.

As a side note, when I noticed the English voice for Jimmy was the same one who played Barry the Chopper in both FMAs I was pretty amused.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Max Wilco posted:

That post is 100% BS, because there wasn't any "sound production" on Kickassia. Until To Boldly Flee there wasn't even a "crew" persay, just Doug and Rob and their usual buddies. Even then, the TBF crew were still friends of theirs. The sound for Kickassia and Suburban Knights were just shotgun mics on top of a camera. In fact, the only camera person for Kickassia was Rob and a single camera. It would've been the same thing for Suburban Knights (in fact, it was initially), until a couple of the folks had a long debate with them behind closed doors to finally convince them to do a double camera set-up. Todd happened to use the same brand of camera so they borrowed his, and they borrowed my SD card. I had the same brand of camera as well, a Canon Vixia.

Anyway, point is, anyone comes out claiming any technical knowledge on the anniversary shoots, it's total BS. This is the same people who offered to move Mickey to Chicago to color correct for them after TBF.

EDIT: Okay, shouldn't say "100%" BS since a lot of the facts thrown out in that post are common knowledge anyway.

Miss Wallace fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 11, 2015

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Let me lull you to sleep with my sweet song!

I was looking for an old Cinema Snob episode online and I stumbled across a blogspot site called Cinema Snob Sucks Blog, clicked it out of curiosity and found it's written by a guy who makes a post criticizing every CS video that is put up as well as site announcements. He even has a post analyzing the reason why Jake is no longer part of the team while ripping on a girl named Rayn who was in a Brad Tries video. It is super creepy to me how some people expend lots of energy on stuff they supposedly hate, as there are commenters who share the blogger's views as well. I give credit to you Allison for keeping up with your art, because I couldn't begin to fathom how it feels to know people online are invested in critiquing both your videos and your lives offline. It makes me appreciate your tenacity and material much more because it really has to be a labor of love for you to keep doing it.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
It's surprising to me someone took the time to make that blog about Brad since he seems to be universally liked by most people in the reviewing scene. Weird!

Thanks, OB. I appreciate the support, although I don't think I have it nearly as bad as a lot of people if I'm being honest. The worst I ever had was after the Spoony incident, but that's died down to only a comment or two once every blue moon. Truthfully, I'm too small potatoes now for anyone to really care. Patreon has changed the game so much that even though I'm nowhere near as popular as I used to be (if you could call it that), I still make a nice enough amount to do this for a living.

But I do love what I do, and I wouldn't continue if I didn't. Movie Nights has been a real boost for me and I'm enjoying putting it together.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
e: Whoops, didn't mean to post.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Testekill posted:

G Gundam is the only true Gundam. Holland's Gundam has a windmill on it, Sweden's has long blond hair, and Denmark's is a giant fish, because why the gently caress not? Most nations' Gundams are similarly designed by people whose only knowledge of the country is based on the accounts of their cousin's extremely racist and insane friend's international travels.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
G Gundam is the best Gundam(A War In The Pocket is also the best, but in a different way) and one of my favorite shows ever, but in terms of profit it was a loss in the West. The toys sold really badly.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Canada Gundam was a robot lumberjack called Grizzly and it was piloted by a soft spoken manly man with a badass moustache. Best representation of Canada in anime, imo. At least the Canadian wasn't a draft dodging cyborg fetishist like in Ghost in the Shell or a wimpy bishi gently caress like in Hetalia.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Opera Bitch posted:

I was looking for an old Cinema Snob episode online and I stumbled across a blogspot site called Cinema Snob Sucks Blog, clicked it out of curiosity and found it's written by a guy who makes a post criticizing every CS video that is put up as well as site announcements. He even has a post analyzing the reason why Jake is no longer part of the team while ripping on a girl named Rayn who was in a Brad Tries video. It is super creepy to me how some people expend lots of energy on stuff they supposedly hate, as there are commenters who share the blogger's views as well. I give credit to you Allison for keeping up with your art, because I couldn't begin to fathom how it feels to know people online are invested in critiquing both your videos and your lives offline. It makes me appreciate your tenacity and material much more because it really has to be a labor of love for you to keep doing it.

Is Busy Street or whatever still around, because holy poo poo did they make bigger asses out of themselves than anyone they were trying to "criticize".

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Arcsquad12 posted:

Canada Gundam was a robot lumberjack called Grizzly and it was piloted by a soft spoken manly man with a badass moustache. Best representation of Canada in anime, imo. At least the Canadian wasn't a draft dodging cyborg fetishist like in Ghost in the Shell or a wimpy bishi gently caress like in Hetalia.

The Canadian Lumberjack Gundam was originally even named "Lumber Gundam". He also had a long-term feud with a Russian Space Pirate.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

DStecks posted:

I finally did it. After seven drat months of on and off production, the first half of my review of Sir Billi is finally done. (Skip to the 4:30 mark if you don't follow or give a poo poo about the finale storyline).

I'm digging it. Heard about how bad this was, but holy cow, it's somehow worse than I expected.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

DStecks posted:

Hey Dstecks, where did your brother(?) get that sweet Canadian Tire shirt he was wearing in like....Sonichu episode 7 or 8? When I was in Canada I asked at Canadian Tire if they had one and they were like ".....uhhhhh"
Me: "But I saw one in this video!"
Them: "Uhhhhhhhh...."

Sir Billi looks almost as hideous as food fight.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Infamous Sphere posted:

Hey Dstecks, where did your brother(?) get that sweet Canadian Tire shirt he was wearing in like....Sonichu episode 7 or 8? When I was in Canada I asked at Canadian Tire if they had one and they were like ".....uhhhhh"
Me: "But I saw one in this video!"
Them: "Uhhhhhhhh...."

Sir Billi looks almost as hideous as food fight.

Well, see, my dad's cousin is Scott Steckly, and Canadian Tire is his primary sponsor; the shirt is promotional swag for the race crew. My dad is his crew chief, and David (my brother) hangs out with the crew a lot.

Shipping to Australia would be really, really expensive, wouldn't it? Because otherwise I'd happily hook you up with one. :(

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Speaking of Angry Joe, here's his review of Pillars of Eternity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob91E5DXIdY

I admit CRPG's aren't my thing but this game seems to be quite an immersive ball of joy. And apparently the next review is going to be his 100th. Congratulations Joe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Annointed posted:

Speaking of Angry Joe, here's his review of Pillars of Eternity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob91E5DXIdY

I admit CRPG's aren't my thing but this game seems to be quite an immersive ball of joy. And apparently the next review is going to be his 100th. Congratulations Joe.

If you're not interested in CRPGs, don't get Pillars. It is super super CRPG-y, by design. I love the game, but it is an archetypal CRPG.

• Locked thread