Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How do you put out an RPG with such a bad font

It was fine in Monster Hunter because you barely have to read in that game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Katana Gomai posted:

Lock this thread until Etrian Mystery Dungeon is out in Europe.

Agreed.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

How do you put out an RPG with such a bad font

It was fine in Monster Hunter because you barely have to read in that game

they fixed the font, mostly, in MH4U... unless, that is, I've just gotten used to it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Katana Gomai posted:

Lock this thread until Etrian Mystery Dungeon is out in Europe.

I'd like to post in this thread before the heat death of the universe.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

they fixed the font, mostly, in MH4U... unless, that is, I've just gotten used to it.

Yeah I'm talking more about MH3.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Manky posted:

It's way easier than that if you have a compatible PC with WiFi or Mac with a wired connection (and wireless card). Google HomePass and RelayMyHome respectively. Antivirus usually flags HomePass but it's fine, you might have to add an exception in the appropriate place.

Also it seems you can get stuff from visitors on your friend list by SpotPass. I saw the blue light yesterday and this morning when I finally checked in, I went into a level and saw a friend from IRC getting owned by some Piplup. Pretty fun.

I'll check it out. Also, in the store there's a "Free Diamonds" option. It gives you 10 diamonds for each milestone number of people you get through SpotPass and StreetPass, and the milestones are explicitly separate for each. It's a good 40 or 50 free diamonds you get locked out of if you live in a rural area. :\

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Hades!
Pit!
HADES!
PIT!
HADES!
PIT!
HAAAAAADES!
PIIIIIIT!

:allears: This game. :allears:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

flyboi posted:

No you cannot. I own the game on both Wii and 3DS and it's fine. Sure there's aliasing issues but the Wii version had the same issues. I do agree with the feeling that the bottom-screen added on assets feel half-baked at best though as there's a lot of unused space and it's just a few interfaces over a black background.

The graphics overall aren't terrible and the only annoyance I had were with subtitles on cutscenes however after disabling them I've had no issues really. Yes, you can play the game in Dolphin for "superior hd" but Dolphin is a High Level Emulator and HLE is inaccurate and poo poo. It'll work for a vast majority of people but there are others who will be irritated with the nuances of HLE.

That'd be me. Owning both, I can say the Dolphin version of the game looks great but as I mentioned before there's about a 100-200ms desync between video and audio no matter what I do. Let me tell you, NOTHING will make your brain slowly twist several degrees in your own head like video/audio desync. Like the clock in Vetinari's office in Discworld. :argh:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

All that said I keep flip flopping between Bravely Default, Xenoblade, and thinking about buying the new Etrian. Help me choose which to play, friends :(

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

All that said I keep flip flopping between Bravely Default, Xenoblade, and thinking about buying the new Etrian. Help me choose which to play, friends :(

Play Xenoblade on your Wii/Wii U because it is better there and for $10 more you can get a "Used" copy at Gamestop. Don't play Bravely Default because it gets way too samey. Only buy the Etrian game if you like Mystery Dungeon.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Ciaphas posted:

EMD is pure roguelike, so if you like that, buy it. If not, don't.

Bravely Default vs Xenoblade mostly comes down to which flavour of RPG you prefer more.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Ciaphas posted:

The answer is "yes."

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Pureauthor posted:

EMD is pure roguelike, so if you like that, buy it. If not, don't.

Bravely Default vs Xenoblade mostly comes down to which flavour of RPG you prefer more.

The only games I replay with any regularity are A) Dungeon Fighter Online :v: and B) olde schoole JRPGs. Guess that'd be Bravely Default?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Ciaphas posted:

The only games I replay with any regularity are A) Dungeon Fighter Online :v: and B) olde schoole JRPGs. Guess that'd be Bravely Default?

Man if you like replaying things Bravely Default will be right up your alley.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Any tips for someone who has never played XenoBlade before ?

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Dirt Taco Scuba posted:

If you try to do every quest at once you will burn the gently caress out

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dirt Taco Scuba posted:

Learn to Topple stuff with Reyn and Shulk. Then beat the shite out of whatever you knocked over. Also, keep making Gems. Reyn and Shulk (In that order) are a good easy pairing for basic Gemcrafting due to their Affinity.

majormonotone posted:

If you try to do every quest at once you will burn the gently caress out

The only sidequesting you need is Colony 6's first tier of buildings and maybe the Gaur Plains ones in the cave (there's only a narrow opportunity for those until you evac them).

Son of Isaac
Apr 22, 2008

Dirt Taco Scuba posted:

1. As everyone has said, don't worry too much about sidequests. Accept them all you want since there's no limit, but most of them you can solve as you play (e.g. kill 10 of this, kill the special baddie, etc.).
2. Memorize the Break, Topple, Daze combo. As Shulk, you have a few options to inflict Break, which allows Reyn to topple, which he will do almost automatically. It's the only way to take down certain enemies, and it's a good introduction to more complicated moves. A Daze-inflicting move will show up with the third character you get.
3. You definitely don't have to, but you can change which character you control. Shulk's Monado powers are going to be the main way you get through the game, but it's more fun to mix it up. Plus, you can hear Reyn say "alley-oop!"
4. In battle, keep moving. You can either make the enemy miss its attack or force it to focus on someone else, which is extremely helpful when you're low on health.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So Xenoblade advice I like Reyn. He's a nice guy. Holy poo poo though Dunban is a million times cooler, I want him on my team but it feels like Reyn and Sharla were meant to be paired up with Shulk. Would I be losing too much if I bench Reyn?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

dunban and reyn are both basically tank character, dunban dodge tanks and reyn face tanks

you can use either

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think Xenoblade is one of the few JRPGs where I used basically everyone. I was rotating my party members a lot

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

You should rotate you party out regularly anyway because it's fun. Try out lots of different combinations and find some you like best!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I would say Sharla is the least useful of the three. but that's just me.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So Xenoblade advice I like Reyn. He's a nice guy. Holy poo poo though Dunban is a million times cooler, I want him on my team but it feels like Reyn and Sharla were meant to be paired up with Shulk. Would I be losing too much if I bench Reyn?

First of all- Reyn and Dunban cover similar niches, one tanks by being a slab of HP, the other tanks by being untouchable. On the other hand, Keeping a dedicated healer around is by no means necessary. For example, if you kill everything all the time you aren't taking enough damage to need healing. There's also abilities that heal you during Chain Attacks, and the like. Take whoever you want, I am pretty sure they're all viable.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I would say ditch Sharla as soon as you're able to, you don't need a dedicated healer in this game unless you're fighting really tough enemies, having Sharla in the group just makes everything take longer to die. It's better to survive by killing things faster. Especially if you have Dunban tanking, since he dodges everything he seldom needs healing anyway.

Get Shulk's skills that restore health when encouraging someone and when you do a chain attack, and link those to everyone else. That'll give you enough healing for the majority of fights. And load up Dunban with agility gems and the lightest armour available to improve his dodginess.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh, dont use the fifth character unless you're going to control them yourself. The AI's braindead with their gimmick.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I guess that's why his left skill tree is "make dunban run around in his underwear and he gets buffed"

That seemed worryingly useless.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I guess that's why his left skill tree is "make dunban run around in his underwear and he gets buffed"

That seemed worryingly useless.

You're not playing Xenoblade unless everyone's dressed for the beach.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Suspicious Cook posted:

You're not playing Xenoblade unless everyone's dressed for the beach.

I keep wondering whether Shulks beach getup is good enough for the next 98 hours.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Healbot posted:

I keep wondering whether Shulks beach getup is good enough for the next 98 hours.

Don't worry, you keep getting new colors and upgrades of trunks and bikinis throughout the game :cool:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Homepass Relay worked. Unfortunately the people I got StreetPasses from didn't have any PRW street passes, even the guy whose last played game was PRW. :argh:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Try out any and every kind of party combination. Get experience controlling all the party members (except Sharla). Ditch Shulk when you don't absolutely need him (not because he's bad but because you should see what your team can do without him).

These are the keys to both getting good at and having fun with Xenoblade. If you park yourself behind Shulk's rear end for 100 hours you're only cheating yourself out of a good portion of the fun of the game.

Basically what I'm saying is experiment constantly. Switching party members and the controlled character is easy and fast, and everyone gains experience regardless of if they're in battle. Don't worry about whether or not a given team is effective - just try it and see!

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 11, 2015

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So I want to get into Kid Icarus MP now that I've beaten it, problem is I need some mega weapons and I have yet to get any gems from StreetPass.

I played through the majority of the game with an awesome set of Pandora Claws that only do like 215 damage but I like their attacks and range. I get how the combo system works and I have almost all the weapons unlocked except like 2 or 3. Any tricks to farming up some good weapons to fuse into poo poo I'll use? Anyone have any advice on comparable weapons to these claws?

I like the Gaol Blade a lot, too, since it's got a similar feel to the Pandoras. Beam Claws are okay too. I loving hate cannons and orbitars thus far, but I haven't played around with too many.

Edit: And yeah, I get that MP is weighted vs weapon power, but I still want something with some punch. I've played enough DM to know that high alpha damage will always beat wearing another human player down.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 11, 2015

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
One thing nobody is mentioning is before you sell off junk you pick up flesh out your collection in the item section because it gives out great gems and equipment for filling out.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

flyboi posted:

One thing nobody is mentioning is before you sell off junk you pick up flesh out your collection in the item section because it gives out great gems and equipment for filling out.

That is certainly an interesting take on the English language.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Sharla is extremely useful for bosses of the same level or higher as her healing arts will keep you alive. I always swapped her in when I was consistently dying on bosses.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Yeah, Sharla is great for punching above your weight class. Those giant walker mechon from the Sword and inside Mechonis come to mind as fights where she's basically mandatory.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Waltzing Along posted:

That is certainly an interesting take on the English language.

Too lazy to care when I'm on my phone :shrug:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fuzz posted:

So I want to get into Kid Icarus MP now that I've beaten it, problem is I need some mega weapons and I have yet to get any gems from StreetPass.

I played through the majority of the game with an awesome set of Pandora Claws that only do like 215 damage but I like their attacks and range. I get how the combo system works and I have almost all the weapons unlocked except like 2 or 3. Any tricks to farming up some good weapons to fuse into poo poo I'll use? Anyone have any advice on comparable weapons to these claws?

I like the Gaol Blade a lot, too, since it's got a similar feel to the Pandoras. Beam Claws are okay too. I loving hate cannons and orbitars thus far, but I haven't played around with too many.

Edit: And yeah, I get that MP is weighted vs weapon power, but I still want something with some punch. I've played enough DM to know that high alpha damage will always beat wearing another human player down.

You don't get good weapons from Streetpass gems. You get them from playing high intensity chapters. Time to get cracking on beating every chapter on 9.0. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Strange Quark posted:

You don't get good weapons from Streetpass gems. You get them from playing high intensity chapters. Time to get cracking on beating every chapter on 9.0. :v:

:suicide: