Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Sentient Data posted:

knife_through_avacado_and_hand.tiff

You might be using knives wrong :ohdear: don't press the knife down. That is just smashing your food. The weight of the knife should be enough as you saw the food.

Pro life tip - buy good knives and keep them sharp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

gently caress, I was about to post this. You post-stealing bastard, I had to go to the store to get waffle irons for all my meals from now on.

Noyemi K has a new favorite as of 20:06 on Apr 11, 2015

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Who cuts open a pomegranate any other way than that?

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

If you're not going to peel it, just eat the loving kiwi skin. It's nutritious as all hell and now eating a kiwi is as easy as eating a grape.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Meatwave posted:

If you're not going to peel it, just eat the loving kiwi skin. It's nutritious as all hell and now eating a kiwi is as easy as eating a grape.

It tastes better if you slice it in to thin slices and no I do not know why :colbert:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Who the gently caress cuts grapes or cherry tomatoes? What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Elliotw2 posted:

Who the gently caress cuts grapes or cherry tomatoes? What the gently caress is wrong with you?

We have to cut grapes at work but that's because it's a choking hazard to feed uncut grapes to small children. Not sure why a real person would cut them though.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Pomp posted:

I once saw a youtube by some pedal to the metal autist on #LifeHack the correct way of eating a pomegranate, which involved squeezing the goddamned thing for half an hour while drinking the juice through a tiny poke hole in the peel while the whole time describing every trivial little nuance of the process saying "pomegranate" about 200 times each time hitting a 100% autistically correct enunciation. It was horrible. Anyone have it?

It may have been the same guy who demonstrated #LifeHack the correct only way mentally disabled persons are allowed to eat watermelon, which involves 2 different kinds of spoons of carefully selected dimensions for crafting tunnels into its flesh and for scooping out the slightly smaller dimension marshmallows that have marinated in the accumulating juices in the resulting subcorporeal chamber, and at some point peanut butter goes in there as well and holy mother of Gary Busey I cannot stand to look at watermelon anymore and how the goddamned gently caress can this chimpman operate a camera and a youtube upload and if most likely not why is someone helping him perpetrate this madness!!!!!

Does anyone have that?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I had no idea that I was supposed to be peeling carrots.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Lifehack: if your vegetables don't have a tough rind, just wash them instead of peeling! It actually adds bonus nutrition, so more bang for your $$$$$$$!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

And for those that do, who doesn't flip it upside down to peel the top half? Everyone I know does that.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
It's best to do it alone, no soap, gentle cycle, top rack would probably be better, and then let it dry in a the sun for three days before plugging it in again. But it does work for more robust keyboards like the ol' IBM M (doesn't work so well with modern rubber-membrane keyboards). Probably shouldn't do it for routine cleaning, but if you spilled a drink in it and it crapped out, it's worth a try.

Washing LEGO (or the keycaps from a Model M) in a mesh bag or soap dishes and such in the dishwasher is actually a pretty handy thing I'd never thought of.

On the other hand, if your combs/brushes get dirty enough to need to be run through the dishwasher, wash your loving hair and buy a new comb. :gonk:

Edit: Also most decorative plates, the decorativeness probably won't survive the dishwasher. Only hand-wash your Star Trek commemorative plates.

Chillbro Baggins has a new favorite as of 02:19 on Apr 12, 2015

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Count Uvula posted:

It tastes better if you slice it in to thin slices and no I do not know why :colbert:

Wash your keyboard and cook your lasagna at the same time! Walla!

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/videos/dishwasher-lasagna-minimyth/

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Noyemi K posted:

gently caress, I was about to post this. You post-stealing bastard, I had to go to the store to get waffle irons for all my meals from now on.

I still make regular use of the spite-iron I bought earlier in this thread. In fact, my buddy liked it so much, he went out and bought his own thin-waffle one to complement my deep Belgian. Not bad as far as stupid life-hacks go.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Elliotw2 posted:

I have a recipe for an amazing salad that would like a word with you

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Len posted:

We have to cut grapes at work but that's because it's a choking hazard to feed uncut grapes to small children. Not sure why a real person would cut them though.

When I was in Japan, I had to peel grapes when I was eating them as a snack with my homestay family. I heard it's sort of a holdover from when pesticides on certain fruits and vegetables were a problem, so they got used to peeling them and even though it's not a problem anymore they've never gone back. It was annoying and time consuming, but just popping them straight into my mouth would have been rude as hell, apparently.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Otana posted:

When I was in Japan, I had to peel grapes when I was eating them as a snack with my homestay family. I heard it's sort of a holdover from when pesticides on certain fruits and vegetables were a problem, so they got used to peeling them and even though it's not a problem anymore they've never gone back. It was annoying and time consuming, but just popping them straight into my mouth would have been rude as hell, apparently.
Either a holdover from bad pesticides or, what I've always heard, the long-standing tradition of using human poo poo as fertilizer until the horrified U.S. occupying forces made them stop.

Lifehack: Supercharge your weight loss by eating not just fruit, but fruit covered with minuscule particles of human poo poo! (See elsewhere for lifehack on removing parasites and/or curing various infections spread by the fecal-oral route. Don't worry--the results are worth it!)

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Otana posted:

Once, when I was a kid, I read about someone being fed peeled grapes by a servant and I, being a stupid kid, thought that would make them more luxurious and therefore delicious. I peeled one and ate it and all the fun of eating grapes was lost. What was once a cool, firm, tart snack was now a shriveled, limp lump of nothing. I don't think I would bother eating them even if they came pre-peeled. Biting through the tart peel is kind of part of the fun.

Edit: Lifehack: don't poop in your grape orchard (vineyard?) and you won't have to peel your grapes...walla?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Once, when I was a kid, I read about someone being fed peeled grapes by a servant and I, being a stupid kid, thought that would make them more luxurious and therefore delicious. I peeled one and ate it and all the fun of eating grapes was lost. What was once a cool, firm, tart snack was now a shriveled, limp lump of nothing. I don't think I would bother eating them even if they came pre-peeled. Biting through the tart peel is kind of part of the fun.

Edit: Lifehack: don't poop in your grape orchard (vineyard?) and you won't have to peel your grapes...walla?

My brain muddled through the part about you reading it and I was thinking we were getting royal feedback on lifehacks.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
Grapes are all the fun of popping bubble wrap combined with all the deliciousness of eating a tasty fruit.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Elliotw2 posted:

Cutting cherry tomatoes in half to use in salads is really common.

Karate Bastard posted:

I once saw a youtube by some pedal to the metal autist on #LifeHack the correct way of eating a pomegranate, which involved squeezing the goddamned thing for half an hour while drinking the juice through a tiny poke hole in the peel while the whole time describing every trivial little nuance of the process saying "pomegranate" about 200 times each time hitting a 100% autistically correct enunciation. It was horrible. Anyone have it?
Reminds me of the way we used to sometimes eat oranges when I was a child: Use a choptick to punch a hole through the skin and wiggle it around to mush up the insides, then drink the juice through the hole.

Birb Katter posted:

Grapes are all the fun of popping bubble wrap combined with all the deliciousness of eating a tasty fruit.
The green, seedless grapes that everyone seems to love are flavourless garbage. Wine grapes are the way to go.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Otana posted:

Weird, I lived in Japan for two years and never saw anyone do this! I didn't live with a host family, though, so maybe this is something people do at home that I'm just not aware of.

Here in Korea, people just suck out the inside of the grapes and put the denuded skins back on their plates. It's just as charming as it sounds.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

bringmyfishback posted:

Weird, I lived in Japan for two years and never saw anyone do this! I didn't live with a host family, though, so maybe this is something people do at home that I'm just not aware of.

Here in Korea, people just suck out the inside of the grapes and put the denuded skins back on their plates. It's just as charming as it sounds.

That's because they're not seedless.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

bringmyfishback posted:

Could have been regional, or maybe just the families I stayed with? This was in Hokkaidō; they skinned basically all fruit before we could eat it.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Important life lesson: there are weirdoes also in X, for all values of X.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Delivery McGee posted:

Washing LEGO (or the keycaps from a Model M) in a mesh bag or soap dishes and such in the dishwasher is actually a pretty handy thing I'd never thought of.

We do this in the kindergarten I work at all the time.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Count Uvula posted:

Gotta deal with that keyboard goop somehow!

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

How else do you get the mold off?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Meatwave posted:

Who the gently caress eats that hairy skin?

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Karate Bastard posted:

Important life lesson: there are weirdoes also in X, for all values of X.

This is a much more valuable lesson when the current value of X being discussed is not Japan

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
For Japan, the value of X is very large. How's that?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Loomer posted:

I like kiwis with the skin on.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lifehack: shave your kiwi for a better oral experience

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

YeahTubaMike posted:

I like kiwis with the skin on.

Oh really?

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

Loomer posted:

Excuse me they're called feathers

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Tune into TruTV for the next 40 minutes or so for the worst lifehack show on television

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

OctoberBlues posted:

Tune into TruTV for the next 40 minutes or so for the worst lifehack show on television

Literally watched 5 minutes and then turned to "The Blind Side" on TNT, because I couldn't deal with another 3 seconds of that poo poo.

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>

Loomer posted:

I do! Cuts the ends off the fruit and then slam that baby in your mouth. Delicious!

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

EZipperelli posted:

Literally watched 5 minutes and then turned to "The Blind Side" on TNT, because I couldn't deal with another 3 seconds of that poo poo.

:justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

Pomp posted:

The easiest way is actually to peel it and separate the seeds underwater. The seeds sink and the white membrane floats, making everything way easier to manage.