Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Knyteguy posted:

I don't think that's worth $600 net of course. As an alternative I've been contemplating picking up a remote only 20 hrs/wk development job to do after work.
That could be a realistic option provided it's consistent enough to actually make a dent in things and not just be a giant pain in the rear end. Moonlighting has thus far been a giant pain in the rear end for me (admittedly I might just suck at it).

Roughly what kind of additional income are we talking about here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
So how about that April budget. Is it actually made yet?

Aagar
Mar 30, 2006

E/N Gestapo
I am talking to a mod right now about getting you probated/banned/gassed

Knyteguy posted:

March:

April:

I don't feel like putting together an O/U it's not very good anyhow.

Utilities are high because our property management company forgot to bill us for trash since we've moved on. We actually cut our power bill by $40.

And April is an incomplete budget I'm still torn on a couple things. Like groceries won't be $150, so ignore that at least.

Come on, Veskit - it wasn't that long ago.

Do we have a real number for groceries yet? - is my question

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Aagar posted:

Come on, Veskit - it wasn't that long ago.

Do we have a real number for groceries yet? - is my question

It's incomplete and thus not made. He had decisions to make on what to do with his lack of money and where it would go so the budget wasn't made.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Inept yep it's just the interview process kind of sucks. Developer interviews can and do take over an hour. I think that's the main thing holding me back.

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

That could be a realistic option provided it's consistent enough to actually make a dent in things and not just be a giant pain in the rear end. Moonlighting has thus far been a giant pain in the rear end for me (admittedly I might just suck at it).

Roughly what kind of additional income are we talking about here?

Mm I don't know exactly. I've had a terrible time freelancing (people want work for way too cheap) but I'd guess I could command the same rate/hr if I was employed at a company. Maybe I'm wrong though.

April budget I'm still unsure. I wrote up a meal plan yesterday so I'm trying to figure out what we'll need for groceries or whatever. Here's the meal plan if anyone is interested:

I figured out that MyFitnessPal can import recipes and give me calories per serving, so I don't need that eatthismuch anyway. I checked out other meal plans again but I decided this will work for us. My wife seems to like the meals too.

And I spelt spinach wrong in the first two boxes somehow that annoys me.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Man, that's a lot of cheese. I'm guilty of this as well, but drat.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

moana posted:

Man, that's a lot of cheese. I'm guilty of this as well, but drat.

Ah, I didn't even realize. I was trying to keep meals quick so a lot of it was just what came to mind when I thought "quick" (like quesadillas).

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Yeah, it's such a big part of easy meals. Can you do vegetable soup at all? It's a bit more cook time but easy to freeze and use for leftovers when you're strapped for time during the week. I love something like this: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/potato_leek_soup/ but with corn and carrots added in.

Also frozen fish fillets, throw them in the oven and cook some rice to go along. That's it, those are my two healthyish quick meals that I do that don't involve cheese. Let me know if you come up with any more, it's a struggle.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Cheese owns though.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

HookShot posted:

Cheese owns though.

Not when you're lactose intolerant :cry:

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I was trying to use up some spaghetti sauce before it expired and came up with some sort of poor man's chicken cacciatore: just tossed some frozen fully cooked & breaded chicken strips into a glass dish, poured the sauce on top, added two copied bell peppers, and a little sugar to cut the acidity of the sauce. Less than 5 minutes prep, baked for less than an hour, and made 4-5 servings. Serve it alone, on a small amount of rice, or with garlic toast.

For whatever reason the strips came out tasting smoky even though none of the ingredients were flavored that way. Never figured that one out but I wasn't complaining either.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

Inept yep it's just the interview process kind of sucks. Developer interviews can and do take over an hour. I think that's the main thing holding me back.

I agree that interviews suck. But it's 1-2 uncomfortable hours for a potentially better job in terms of both pay and work environment/fringe benefits. Believe me, I know. I stayed at a mediocre job much longer than I should have because I was comfortable in my routine. I got a much better job 2 years ago though and wish I had tried harder sooner.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I'm going to rescind my support for freelancing or moonlighting and go back to supporting getting a higher paying job provided you keep your spending the same and the reason is: psychologically it's too easy to treat freelancing income as a bonus. It's harder to budget for bonuses because they're so unpredictable, and it's so tempting to spend bonuses on fun stuff because hey, bonus.

Also freelancing is a giant pain in the rear end and the pay sucks. I never got paid the time I tried to work on the side for a small company and I suspect that is not uncommon.

My sincere recommendation is to have a job offer from another company in-hand for your review in May. That will give you the most leverage to boost your pay and keep the job you like. You have to be prepared to quit though. Saying "I'll do it next year" basically means it won't happen. And if you do end up leaving and do end up hating it, it will give you motivation to pay your debt off quick so you can go back to a lower paying job that you like more.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Is nobody else concerned that we're 11 days into the month and the budget still isn't complete? Anyone?

Nobody? Is this just the give Knyte advice he's not going to take thread like ohhh you know, have a developed plan of what you're doing with your money?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Veskit posted:

Is nobody else concerned that we're 11 days into the month and the budget still isn't complete? Anyone?

Nobody? Is this just the give Knyte advice he's not going to take thread like ohhh you know, have a developed plan of what you're doing with your money?

He's just on the Slow Motion budget reconciliation plan. It's okay.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Yes, let's recommend the man with a newborn gets a second job and leaves the mother alone with the kid more often.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Veskit posted:

Sure, I'm concerned. At this point I wish he'd just take money out of his e fund/savings numbers and put it into groceries. At least be honest about where that money is coming from.

Crazy that discretionary was filled in before grocery budget. :(

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
On mobile right now so it's thought to post (first day watching baby alone). I was going to go all extreme on groceries again, so that's why it was $150 and discretionary had money. I decided against that because how many times has that not worked out?

Yes groceries will likely come from efund that's kind of necessary.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
You seen this, KG? http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-04-10/reno-wants-to-be-silicon-valley-s-back-office

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

Knyteguy posted:

On mobile right now so it's thought to post (first day watching baby alone). I was going to go all extreme on groceries again, so that's why it was $150 and discretionary had money. I decided against that because how many times has that not worked out?

Yes groceries will likely come from efund that's kind of necessary.

So you are taking money from your emergency savings to pay for groceries but still planning to spend $100 in restaurants?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Hey no I hadn't cool link. Right now it seems pretty desolate outside of some big companies maybe that will start to get better.

Rhythmic alright I will reconsider. Even if he won't give me what I may feel I deserve I can always decide to move on afterward s too.

Steph restaurants is paying ourselves back for last month. That's why the category is red. That adds to our emergency fund. If we weren't doing that then emergency savings would be about $100 less than it is now.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I have no understanding of what is going on with your budget because you still haven't posted it in full. Especially the shell game in the red bullshit whatever the heck is going on.

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

You budget money for charity, holidays, vet bills and discretionary before allocating money for feeding your family.

I think your priorities are off a bit. You really need to have a serious review of wants vs needs.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

ufsteph posted:

You budget money for charity, holidays, vet bills and discretionary before allocating money for feeding your family.

I think your priorities are off a bit. You really need to have a serious review of wants vs needs.

To be fair, if he didn't, he'd spend it anyways against budget. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

ufsteph posted:

You honestly think something "not being in the budget" is going to stop knyte from spending on it anyway?

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

ufsteph posted:

Most of these are categories where BFC has yelled at him in the past for not planning ahead. So he put in a new line for the budget in without really thinking about where the money was coming from. I actually think these categories are pretty reasonable, given that he's shown in the past that he can't or won't cut back on gifts or pets. The problem is that he won't make sacrifices elsewhere to make up for it.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hi, Knyteguy. Not sure how open you are to me saying this, but I think your situation can be aptly described by the goon in a well analogy.

You are not digging deeper. Instead, you are filling in the well and getting out. One spoonful at a time...

Progress, one must admit, but oh so slow... Come on, it has been a year and a half. Cut down on the fun stuff. So many line items are off-limits and yet there isn't the corresponding deep cuts in the other line items to make up for it.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

John Smith posted:

Hi, Knyteguy. Not sure how open you are to me saying this, but I think your situation can be aptly described by the goon in a well analogy.

You are not digging deeper. Instead, you are filling in the well and getting out. One spoonful at a time...

Progress, one must admit, but oh so slow... Come on, it has been a year and a half. Cut down on the fun stuff. So many line items are off-limits and yet there isn't the corresponding deep cuts in the other line items to make up for it.

I agree it's slow. Particularly right now. We're up a kid, and down almost an entire income. Business is doing badly my client is 15 days late, microscopes aren't selling and even when they do the margins are terrible, on top of that I haven't found time to work on the big project in awhile which may or may not take off.

However I have been saying no to going out. We were invited to go out to breakfast yesterday and I said no because we don't have any restaurant budget. Something else last week too I forget.

Hey btw moana that leek soup recipe looks great. I forgot to mention that we'll be adding that to the rotation.

The past few days I've been really considering how we can make more money. It won't solve our problems completely, but it will help as mentioned. Once we get through the pregnancy bills (still waiting on the big ones) then I think we'll cut HSA contributions. They're usually ~$245 per paycheck maybe we'll cut that in half. That'd free up some money for savings or debt paydown.

Also I am willing to cut fun money. In_cahoots we got rid of a cat and cut our pet expenses nearly $80 a month what are you talking about. We also didn't contribute to giving for 2 months despite it being in the budget. Giving was an emergency contribution for a friend who is about to lose his house and his kids due to the house, and charity was for our local humane society where they needed funds to save a dog hit by a car.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I think it would be a good idea to update the debt numbers from Nov'13 to current. Make them accurate, include all the bad debt. Do it quarterly, plus Nov'13 for entry numbers.

Edit: just saw your reply. You might hold off on cutting the HSA, depending on your plans of therapy? Make sure to consider that. And go you guys for saying no to going out!

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 13, 2015

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Knyteguy posted:

I agree it's slow. Particularly right now. We're up a kid, and down almost an entire income. Business is doing badly my client is 15 days late, microscopes aren't selling and even when they do the margins are terrible, on top of that I haven't found time to work on the big project in awhile which may or may not take off.

However I have been saying no to going out. We were invited to go out to breakfast yesterday and I said no because we don't have any restaurant budget. Something else last week too I forget.

Hey btw moana that leek soup recipe looks great. I forgot to mention that we'll be adding that to the rotation.

The past few days I've been really considering how we can make more money. It won't solve our problems completely, but it will help as mentioned. Once we get through the pregnancy bills (still waiting on the big ones) then I think we'll cut HSA contributions. They're usually ~$245 per paycheck maybe we'll cut that in half. That'd free up some money for savings or debt paydown.

Also I am willing to cut fun money. In_cahoots we got rid of a cat and cut our pet expenses nearly $80 a month what are you talking about. We also didn't contribute to giving for 2 months despite it being in the budget. Giving was an emergency contribution for a friend who is about to lose his house and his kids due to the house, and charity was for our local humane society where they needed funds to save a dog hit by a car.

Most/all of your excuses are reasonable to some extent, or at least defensible. You certainly have done many actions that could arguably be deemed of effort.

So what? Excuses are like assholes. Everyone got one. Results are what counts in the real world. And progress is slow, pathetic even.

You are like a fat guy that is chomping down an entire pizza, and when his wife points it out, replies with "hey, I skipped this morning's donuts!". Well, no poo poo, you did. But you are the one who said he wants to be in the loving State track team. I asked if you would rather scale back your goals to merely being able to walk 3 miles without collapsing, you bravely told me no, you are going to try out for the State track team. Well, prove it.

Edit: Btw, please post up your budget. Dogs is owning his thread. His last post is that he finished off his consumer debts (excluding car) and he is wondering where should he invest all his money? Knyteguy, you kinda suck by comparison.

John Smith fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 13, 2015

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
[rant]
What ever happened to your wife becoming a programmer?

What ever happened to your wife getting into transcriptions?

What ever happened to your wife looking for a better job?

Honestly it feels like you're sliding back into the "How can I spike my income? Also I don't want to look for another job. Also my wife doesn't want to change jobs. Also someone give us an easy way to double our income that isn't time consuming.".

You could probably make 20-30% more by changing jobs, but it's going to require real effort. Fixing up your resume. Going on a ton of interviews, the majority of which probably won't pan out, but sticking with it for more than 2-4 weeks and then saying it's not working out.

You still don't seem to understand that you try something for like 1-2 months tops, it doesn't work out like you hope, and then you just quit and jump onto the next solution. You've rinsed and repeated that for 1.5 years in this thread. Every month it's a new budget, or a new book you read, or a new whateverthefuck.

Just settle down into a monotonous routine of sticking to budget every month and you'll be fine. Or actually put in genuine and sincere effort to improve your situation. You guys have just been waffling around for the past year because both you and your wife are relatively comfortable at your jobs and are afraid to change things up. Obviously the baby was a huge curve ball as well.
[/rant]

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Knyteguy, post your finished April budget.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

John Smith posted:

Most/all of your excuses are reasonable to some extent, or at least defensible. You certainly have done many actions that could arguably be deemed of effort.

So what? Excuses are like assholes. Everyone got one. Results are what counts in the real world. And progress is slow, pathetic even.

You are like a fat guy that is chomping down an entire pizza, and when his wife points it out, replies with "hey, I skipped this morning's donuts!". Well, no poo poo, you did. But you are the one who said he wants to be in the loving State track team. I asked if you would rather scale back your goals to merely being able to walk 3 miles without collapsing, you bravely told me no, you are going to try out for the State track team. Well, prove it.

Edit: Btw, please post up your budget. Dogs is owning his thread. His last post is that he finished off his consumer debts (excluding car) and he is wondering where should he invest all his money? Knyteguy, you kinda suck by comparison.

Dogs has way more income and available money each month than we do. Plus we have an emergency fund prioritized rather than debt payoff. We could practically get the car out from underwater or pay off both my student loans right now. Please stop comparing.

Bugamol posted:

[rant]
What ever happened to your wife becoming a programmer?

What ever happened to your wife getting into transcriptions?

What ever happened to your wife looking for a better job?
[/rant]

I can't speak for my wife her motivation is her own.

quote:

Honestly it feels like you're sliding back into the "How can I spike my income? Also I don't want to look for another job. Also my wife doesn't want to change jobs. Also someone give us an easy way to double our income that isn't time consuming.".

You could probably make 20-30% more by changing jobs, but it's going to require real effort. Fixing up your resume. Going on a ton of interviews, the majority of which probably won't pan out, but sticking with it for more than 2-4 weeks and then saying it's not working out.

You still don't seem to understand that you try something for like 1-2 months tops, it doesn't work out like you hope, and then you just quit and jump onto the next solution. You've rinsed and repeated that for 1.5 years in this thread. Every month it's a new budget, or a new book you read, or a new whateverthefuck.

Just settle down into a monotonous routine of sticking to budget every month and you'll be fine. Or actually put in genuine and sincere effort to improve your situation. You guys have just been waffling around for the past year because both you and your wife are relatively comfortable at your jobs and are afraid to change things up. Obviously the baby was a huge curve ball as well.

I'll look for another job, but the reality is I need a car for myself if that's the correct option to pursue. Also I spent a few hours a couple months ago getting my LinkedIn up to date and totally revamped. I can update my resume fairly simply based off the work I did there. Much of my decision to stay has been because of the advice of the thread. Hell I turned down the pursuit of a job contracting for pretty big bucks in Florida.

Every month isn't a new budget I've stuck to this general guideline since January (and yes I've posted it).

Sober I've got it made up already but I don't feel like screenshotting it right this minute. I'll post it sometime today.

Sigma debt hasn't gone down a whole lot due to the above (emergency fund has been the priority).

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

John Smith posted:

You are like a fat guy that is chomping down an entire pizza, :words:
The thing that you need to remember is that positive steps are positive steps. KG had two good months followed by a bad one. It's not perfect but we'll see how the trend goes. His progress (on paper) is not going to look like DCB and that's absolutely fine. They have different income levels and I'm sure if KG had that income level he'd be paying down huge lumps of debt as well.

Also KG post the budget

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Cutting your HSA means you aren't serious about therapy.

It's been two weeks post your budget already dude.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Here's a link if a timg is a pain in the rear end.
http://i.imgur.com/29FtJhc.png

Balances include income for the second half of the month.

Reserve any naysaying until the end of the month please.

Veskit just saw your reply: therapy isn't that expensive the first session with my mom was $25. We're putting $500/mo in.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

And how much do you think it costs to go to psych visits on top of therapy visits, and why are you double practicing the same type of therapy with your mom? You're going to see the same therapist for you and your mom, you and your wife, and yourself? Also you have to account for your baby costs, wife costs, and of course if poo poo hits the fan costs. Has the labor bill been paid off yet? Slashing your HSA is a horrific idea.

Also gently caress the holding of naysaying, Kill your misc account, your car maintenance fund, and your stupid F you fund which all it's doing is loving your stomach from eating. Two people aren't going to eat well or healthy on 300 dollars of groceries.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
We should plot out what maintenance your car is going to need over the next year/two years and see how much money it really needs... It's a new car after all. That said, I think it's smart to accrue X for general maintenance. I'm just not sure what that X will be for your car.

I forget what is in your gently caress you category, but you aren't in a position of gently caress you yet, so I'd nix it and get on with the debt/efund. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xdfeXqHFmPI

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

We can't even get a budget posted for 13 days after the month begins. Why complicate things when it could/should just be pull it out of the E fund and work to pay it down quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Veskit posted:

We can't even get a budget posted for 13 days after the month begins. Why complicate things when it could/should just be pull it out of the E fund and work to pay it down quickly.
We give him hell about not planning expenses, and yet you're inverting for this. Car expenses that are known should be planned.

That said, I'm guessing he's roughly at a point where he can stop adding to it until funds are used, oil change every 7-8k, cabin and engine filters annually (dusty environment) or ~20k, brake fluid every 24mo... Otherwise, it's a new car and shouldn't need much.

• Locked thread