Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

A program started from a shortcut has this "Start In" property that is the what the "current folder" for the program is while it's running. I don't use your launcher, so I don't know whether you can edit that property for the sort of shortcuts it uses, but apparently, it starts the game with the root as the current folder. It would seem that you would only need to change the UserProfile environment variable from ".\" to, I suppose, ".\apps\appfoldername\settingsfoldername\" to get it to dump its poo poo there. Where appfoldername and settingsfoldername are placeholders you replace with the actual path where you want the files to end up.

If that makes sense to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Not sure where to post this, but does anyone know how to actually get inserted pictures to show up in OpenOffice Impress? It just...doesn't work. I'm trying to insert it into those layout boxes it gives you. I can see the picture but it doesn't show up in presentation view.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

So a friend of mine installed the W10 preview as my new OS for a new computer I built and so far everything is working great, but whenever I try to delete the Windows.old folder it had left over from my last install, it says I need SYSTEM permission to do so? It's taking up like 30gb on my tiny 250gb solid state so any way I could figure out what it wants me to do to get rid of it would be helpful.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Take ownership first with your new user account

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

RedneckwithGuns posted:

So a friend of mine installed the W10 preview as my new OS for a new computer I built and so far everything is working great, but whenever I try to delete the Windows.old folder it had left over from my last install, it says I need SYSTEM permission to do so? It's taking up like 30gb on my tiny 250gb solid state so any way I could figure out what it wants me to do to get rid of it would be helpful.

You need to do it through Disk Cleanup.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/how-remove-windows-old-folder

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Okay, I'm not even sure if this is the right thread to post in but: I'm switching back to PC after ten years or so using Macs, currently waiting on all the parts I ordered to arrive. Is there a Windows version / equivalent of the OS X messages app, specifically one that lets me receive an SMS on my iPhone and respond to on my computer? It's kinda looking like no, and that's a huge bummer.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Inside Outside posted:

Okay, I'm not even sure if this is the right thread to post in but: I'm switching back to PC after ten years or so using Macs, currently waiting on all the parts I ordered to arrive. Is there a Windows version / equivalent of the OS X messages app, specifically one that lets me receive an SMS on my iPhone and respond to on my computer? It's kinda looking like no, and that's a huge bummer.

Unfortunately there isn't anything like that for Windows. All of the services that say that they provide a way to use iMessage on Windows seems like a scam or malware for the most part.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
However, depending on your attachment to iOS, there are at least a couple reputable apps for Android that do the job just great.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

hooah posted:

However, depending on your attachment to iOS, there are at least a couple reputable apps for Android that do the job just great.

Still pretty attached to iOS. Oh well, I only discovered this feature a few weeks ago so I can live without it.

Wreckfest
Apr 1, 2015

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Doesn't work with youtube

and the command line poo poo seems too advanced for me

Hi.

http://mrs0m30n3.github.io/youtube-dl-gui/

Wreckfest fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 7, 2015

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Inside Outside posted:

Still pretty attached to iOS. Oh well, I only discovered this feature a few weeks ago so I can live without it.

You could port your cellphone number to Google Voice and use Hangouts on iOS + the Chrome extension (provided you use Chrome...). I'm not exactly recommending that you do, but you could.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Inside Outside posted:

https://www.pushbullet.com looks like it might do what you're looking for.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Subyng posted:

Not sure where to post this, but does anyone know how to actually get inserted pictures to show up in OpenOffice Impress? It just...doesn't work. I'm trying to insert it into those layout boxes it gives you. I can see the picture but it doesn't show up in presentation view.

I just tried making a slideshow in Impress, and my picture didn't show up in the actual slide show either! Looks fine in all the preview windows, etc.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Looking for some software to make an mkv from an avchd folder. Makemkv failed out on me...I just want a mkv I don't need to transcode or anything.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Windows 10 technical preview update: I restarted and accidentally hit the Windows Rollback button, after I already nuked my Windows.Old folder. Am I hosed or is there some magical way to just tell it I want to keep using the technical preview install because right now it's stuck in a loop trying to repair an old install that isn't there.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Is there any way to make, in Windows 7, Windows Media Center load on a second monitor, and load in a full screen windowed mode? Google is coming up with some pretty shady results involving 3rd party software.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Inside Outside posted:

Is there a Windows version / equivalent of the OS X messages app, specifically one that lets me receive an SMS on my iPhone and respond to on my computer? It's kinda looking like no, and that's a huge bummer.

Is there an iOS version of Pushbullet?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Windows 10 technical preview update: I restarted and accidentally hit the Windows Rollback button, after I already nuked my Windows.Old folder. Am I hosed or is there some magical way to just tell it I want to keep using the technical preview install because right now it's stuck in a loop trying to repair an old install that isn't there.

Check the Windows 10 thread. Last I was in there, there was someone working on Win10 posting in it, they might be able to help you.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

As of last night I'm now officially a PC user again and on my first dual monitor setup. I should be able to figure out most of this stuff on mine own, but I have one minor problem that is driving me crazy. Say I want to run a game full screen on one monitor: is there a way to lock the mouse pointer to just that monitor?

e: looks like it's something that varies from program to program. Oh well.

Mr. Clark2 posted:

https://www.pushbullet.com looks like it might do what you're looking for.

Oh my god thank you so much.

Inside Outside fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 12, 2015

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

mcbexx posted:

Is there an iOS version of Pushbullet?

Yup, there's a bunch of versions. They're all listed/linked here: https://www.pushbullet.com/apps

I use it to push links and pictures between my tablet and computer, it's easier than email or downloading through a cable (for small amounts, anyway.)

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I just did a fresh install of Windows 7 in a VMWare Fusion VM on my Macbook. After only installing the vSphere client and windows updates, I have 1.32GB free of the 30 gigs I allocated for the VM. Does this sound right, and if not how do I clear space? I ran Disk Cleanup, but after telling me I could free up an extra 5gb from Temporary files cleanup, it actually took away an extra 200mb.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 12, 2015

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Quick question - I have a laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium that I'm going to pull the HDD out of and replace with a SSD. This laptop has a loving ton of bloatware on it because it's made by HP, and I'm really tempted to just install a clean version of Windows on it. I used Belarc to pull the Windows Key # off of it, and I have a ISO of the same version of Windows but a clean install. Will I be able to activate Windows 7 when I install it using that key?

Otherwise I'm just going try to clone the HDD contents to the SSD, but I think my friend I'm doing this for would be better off with a clean install. And yes, everything of value has already been backed up onto a separate external drive.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Dramatika posted:

Quick question - I have a laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium that I'm going to pull the HDD out of and replace with a SSD. This laptop has a loving ton of bloatware on it because it's made by HP, and I'm really tempted to just install a clean version of Windows on it. I used Belarc to pull the Windows Key # off of it, and I have a ISO of the same version of Windows but a clean install. Will I be able to activate Windows 7 when I install it using that key?

Probably not.

OEM Licensing for Windows 7 worked by having a generic key (I forget whether it was per vendor or all OEM licenses) plus a license file that told Windows to behave as activated if it recognized a given OEM's BIOS. Naturally distributing that license file and possibly the thing to recover it from your own laptop would be :filez:.

You may have better luck if you use the license key on the underside of the laptop, but you'll almost certainly have to phone-activate it. On the other hand this may be worth it because OEM shitware.

Having a unique license code in firmware only started with Windows 8.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Inside Outside posted:

As of last night I'm now officially a PC user again and on my first dual monitor setup. I should be able to figure out most of this stuff on mine own, but I have one minor problem that is driving me crazy. Say I want to run a game full screen on one monitor: is there a way to lock the mouse pointer to just that monitor?

e: looks like it's something that varies from program to program. Oh well.

Oh my god thank you so much.

DisplayFusion will lock your cursor to whichever monitor you choose via hotkeys. Does some other nice stuff too for multiple monitors, wallpapers, logon screen, force programs to start on a specific monitor, etc.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Tanbo posted:

DisplayFusion will lock your cursor to whichever monitor you choose via hotkeys. Does some other nice stuff too for multiple monitors, wallpapers, logon screen, force programs to start on a specific monitor, etc.

Ooooh, that sounds better than the program I found. I can't remember what it's called but I have it set so I need to hold control when moving the mouse between monitors. That's actually a solution I like a lot, but the extra functionality sounds really nice.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

kri kri posted:

Looking for some software to make an mkv from an avchd folder. Makemkv failed out on me...I just want a mkv I don't need to transcode or anything.

I don't have any avchd files to test with, but have you tried using mkvtoolnix? MKVMerge can often strip the streams from other files and mux them into an mkv.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
Is there any program like Launchy (also Krunner, Synapse, Gnome Do) that is actively maintained?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What's wrong with Launchy? It's still working great for me.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

hooah posted:

What's wrong with Launchy? It's still working great for me.

Nothing. I was just curious if there were other options that I didn't know about. The new version of KRunner for KDE is quite nice.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
I have become so pissed off with Windows 7 these days that I have fully committed to using Linux on all of my computer machines

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

A3th3r posted:

I have become so pissed off with Windows 7 these days that I have fully committed to using Linux on all of my computer machines

You sound like a crazy person.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Manky posted:

You could port your cellphone number to Google Voice and use Hangouts on iOS + the Chrome extension (provided you use Chrome...). I'm not exactly recommending that you do, but you could.

I do most of my SMS messaging on my Windows PC via Google Voice.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Are there any programs and/or a feature in display fusion to save all your window positions and restore them? Every time I RDP into my machine from home it moves windows onto one monitor and forgets the location when I log back in.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Captain Pike posted:

I do most of my SMS messaging on my Windows PC via Google Voice.

Me too. :silent:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

accipter posted:

Is there any program like Launchy (also Krunner, Synapse, Gnome Do) that is actively maintained?

I use findandrunrobot, but I'm probably weird or something for doing so.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I guess this is a good place to ask this question. I have a Windows 8.1 laptop (T530) at work that has a big time mouse stuttering issue. Its almost to the point where I cant use the mouse and sometimes it will double the number of characters that I type in.

Fixes on the internet seem to revolve a mouse lag issue in games and I cant seem to really find anything that is related to a mouse lag in Windows itself. Any ideas? Has anyone seen this??

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Gyshall posted:

Are there any programs and/or a feature in display fusion to save all your window positions and restore them? Every time I RDP into my machine from home it moves windows onto one monitor and forgets the location when I log back in.

DisplayFusion almost certainly does this but I'm not at home to check the setting. I think it's a button or key-combo to save/load, rather than anything automatic, however. Google suggests its under Settings -> Functions and was added to a beta release 5 months ago, so presumably its in the release by now.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

spiralbrain posted:

I guess this is a good place to ask this question. I have a Windows 8.1 laptop (T530) at work that has a big time mouse stuttering issue. Its almost to the point where I cant use the mouse and sometimes it will double the number of characters that I type in.

Fixes on the internet seem to revolve a mouse lag issue in games and I cant seem to really find anything that is related to a mouse lag in Windows itself. Any ideas? Has anyone seen this??

Is it a wireless mouse and is it plugged into a USB3 port, or do you have a USB3 device plugged into a USB3 port next to the wifi mouse dongle? I had terrible wifi connectivity in the room furthest from the wifi router for a while, and after researching, found out that USB3 creates interference with the 2.4GHz band that 802.11g and a lot of wireless keyboards use. I see it happening again now that I bought a new wireless desktop set with a dongle that uses the 2.4GHz band. If I plug the dongle into my USB3 port, mouse input is extremely erratic. If it's in the USB2 port then it's fine, but if I plug a USB3 flash drive into the USB port next to the dongle, the mouse stutters again until the flash drive is removed.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

spiralbrain posted:

Try turning off your power management temporarily to see if it's that.

Along that same vein, try disabling USB selective suspend in the power plan and go into device management and disable power saving on the USB Root hub.

Also there is this. It discusses USB 3.0, but I've seen it with DisplayLink and KVM switches as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

doctorfrog posted:

I use findandrunrobot, but I'm probably weird or something for doing so.

I'd never heard of that before, but it looks pretty solid. I'll have to give it a try, thanks for mentioning it!