Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TraderStav posted:

I use checks, ride bicycles and buy vinyl, am i a hipster?

Doesn't the vinyl make you all sweaty when you ride your bicycle :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

TraderStav posted:

Do you clip your checkbooks to your spokes to make fun sounds while you bike around? That would make you OK in my book.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ragequit posted:

Do you clip your checkbooks to your spokes to make fun sounds while you bike around? That would make you OK in my book.

None of my old Tex Willers have covers anymore because they were just the right stock for this :(

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A signed Terry Pratchett book:

A Swedish first edition of Lord of the Flies with a postcard signed by Golding:

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun

Flipperwaldt posted:

Normal ear protection plugs from the hardware store dampen different frequencies at different rates. They will generally make music sound muffled. There are special ear plugs aimed at musicians that attempt to dampen all frequencies equally, protecting you while keeping music enjoyable.

The Etymotic Research ER20 are an often recommended, cheap and decent entry level option.

What he's saying is that he's enjoying using something like that going to concerts and not coming home with early onset tinnitus.

What?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

https://youtu.be/g2Q0cyJSs04

The Clowning
Jan 10, 2007
I'm certainly not gonna sign for any more packages with the word "Congo" written in blood.

Timex Weekender with a leather band

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

You should take your earplugs out when reading the forums.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

knows a black guy posted:

Are you in or around Denver? I saw these and a bunch more in an ice cream shop in Longmont today and the guy behind the counter said they came from a Denver artist.

Yup it's a Denver artist. I am up in Fort Collins. His name is Kevin Eslinger. His stuff is awesome.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

I was going more for this. But I also liked the idea of having ridiculous checks.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
I just bought $25 worth of 55 gallon trash bags for my house's spring cleaning adventures.

TraderStav posted:

Yes, AND yet you failed to use an oxford comma.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

strap on revenge posted:

It's weird to me that americans still use cheques, I've never used one in my life and haven't seen my parents use one since the 90s

e: for transactions that aren't thousands of dollars

I only use them for two things and they're both related to paying for our house. The payment processing charges for doing an online payment so we just mail a check.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

:allears:

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Flaggy posted:

Yup it's a Denver artist. I am up in Fort Collins. His name is Kevin Eslinger. His stuff is awesome.

This is great news, I also live in denver. Gonna be looking this guy up.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

Flaggy posted:

Fort Collins bros!

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

rockcity posted:

I only use them for two things and they're both related to paying for our house. The payment processing charges for doing an online payment so we just mail a check.

That's something I never understood. I have a whole lot of trouble believing that online payments cost more money to banks and companies than the administration fees that come with handling checks.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KingColliwog posted:

That's something I never understood. I have a whole lot of trouble believing that online payments cost more money to banks and companies than the administration fees that come with handling checks.

Considering online payments are essentially automated, I'm with you on this. It seems the US loves cheques and charging people for poo poo we get as part of the basic service here in the UK. It's odd.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
:ssh: it costs the bank next to nothing to process an online payment, they're doing it because it's free money for them.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

KingColliwog posted:

Yeah, I agree, it's super annoying. We also used to be able to turn one of those payments in in person to someone who works in our community clubhouse so we wouldn't have to mail it, but they hosed up processing it more than once and I'm not the only person in our community to have that problem so we just stopped doing that and started mailing it.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005

Flipperwaldt posted:

Normal ear protection plugs from the hardware store dampen different frequencies at different rates. They will generally make music sound muffled. There are special ear plugs aimed at musicians that attempt to dampen all frequencies equally, protecting you while keeping music enjoyable.

The Etymotic Research ER20 are an often recommended, cheap and decent entry level option.

What he's saying is that he's enjoying using something like that going to concerts and not coming home with early onset tinnitus.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
Stand Steady standing desk solution:

Nike Air Max Tavas:

Viking book for Kindle:

Sweatshirt from Uniqlo sale:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fear Factory t-shirt. Fits like a glove.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Geoj posted:

:ssh: it costs the bank next to nothing to process an online payment, they're doing it because it's free money for them.

That's what I always thought, but it still seems strange. Why don't they put "high" fees on the use of checks and low/no fees on online payment? Wouldn't that make them more money by giving an incentive for people to stop using their expensive and "outdated" way of paying for stuff? Always seemed super weird to me. I doubt people would switch banks because they now had to pay some extra fees when they make a check

Refilled my propane tank

Cause it'S sort of warm today and gently caress this neverending winter. Let's grill some nice rear end steak outside tonight! First "bbq" of the year

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

KingColliwog posted:

That's what I always thought, but it still seems strange. Why don't they put "high" fees on the use of checks and low/no fees on online payment? Wouldn't that make them more money by giving an incentive for people to stop using their expensive and "outdated" way of paying for stuff? Always seemed super weird to me. I doubt people would switch banks because they now had to pay some extra fees when they make a check

Refilled my propane tank

Cause it'S sort of warm today and gently caress this neverending winter. Let's grill some nice rear end steak outside tonight! First "bbq" of the year

How would banks charge for cheques beyond charging for the chequebook?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

How would banks charge for cheques beyond charging for the chequebook?

They could just charge you a fee everytime you use one? Just like they do with many other operations. It's not like they don't know you used one unless I don't get how these things are registered.

Anyway, that's quite a long derail for cheques, we need more crazy shoes instead.

KingColliwog has a new favorite as of 22:38 on Apr 12, 2015

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I got 300 cheques when I opened my bank account in the mid 90s and still have about 200 left. They have a photo of my city skyline in the background that's missing dozens of prominent newer towers, and my parents' address/phone number that hasn't been accurate since 2003.

Edit: I bought shoes but they aren't crazy, just all black Nikes.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Fire Safety Doug posted:

Viking book for Kindle:

That's a really fun book. If you have the slightest interest in vikings you should probably check it out.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Pondex posted:

That's a really fun book. If you have the slightest interest in vikings you should probably check it out.

You made my week! In return you might want to check out the Sagas of the Icelanders. Great poetic prose.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

KingColliwog posted:

They could just charge you a fee everytime you use one? Just like they do with many other operations. It's not like they don't know you used one unless I don't get how these things are registered.

Anyway, that's quite a long derail for cheques, we need more crazy shoes instead.

You're in luck.

Because it's starting to get warm out.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

My new megawolf on the right. An old, normal-size adult on the left.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Pick posted:

Those puppies look like they're sleeping funny. :magical:

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Tinnitus chat: I've had tinnitus since I was in my early teens (I'm 27!) It sucks! Yes, get custom earplugs and wear them when you ought to.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Just going back to the ear plug thing, they are really a good idea. I have been to far too many concerts without them and I've damaged my right ear. I'm 29.

Also watch for body surfers wearing steel toed boots. Those give concussions when delivered straight to the back of the head. Speaking from experience here.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Sappo569 posted:

Those puppies look like they're sleeping funny. :magical:

There was a puppy here. It's gone now.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

KingColliwog posted:

You're correct. Checks clear in batches relatively quickly, at which point your bank not only knows about it and has either made some or all of the funds available, but also has a digital copy that is a legal stand in for the physical check. Basically it's scanned and processed electronically and acts like any other electronic transaction for 99% of its useful life.

So yeah, they could charge you and probably the same day.

Checks are like barcodes or mag stripes except in an archaic form.

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 00:30 on Apr 13, 2015

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
First pair of Jordans in my life. Jordan 1s in Teal and Infrared.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Pick posted:

Do you use the fur for something or do you just enjoy having them for decorative or other purposes?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Most likely they're an amateur taxidermist.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

KingColliwog posted:

Do you use the fur for something or do you just enjoy having them for decorative or other purposes?

I've used fur for craft purposes but these are just to collect and touch because they are fluffy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Found a Timex weekender at the swap meet for six bucks today.

It's identical to the one I lost three years ago.