Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

The wear issue keeps me from trying my hand at repainting figures.
Wear is an issue at first but I noticed that every figure I do has less of a problem with it. There's things you can do to mitigate it.
You should always keep the figure free of oil (from your fingers) and dirt - wash it in a bit of soapy water before painting and maybe even wear rubber gloves while handling it. Oils prevent paint from sticking properly. Secondly, remember that acrylics cure fully over the course of months, so after you paint something, it's best not to disturb it for a while (at least a week or two). Primer and topcoat also help, of course.

CyRaptor, the splotchy look means your paint's not thin enough. You need to water it down more and paint in many, thin coats, the first few of which don't need to cover fully. When painting white over dark colours, it helps to put down a grey basecoat first.

It's always cool to see people painting their toys. Most peeps maybe try once and then get discouraged when it doesn't work out, but, well, you wouldn't expect to draw a masterpiece after picking up a pencil for the first time, right? Get a bit of practice, and you can make your figures look a lot better. Never complain about missing paintapps again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Genetic posted his First Aid pictures. He's really nice looking.

Bit of a waifbot, I guess. The comparison shots with Off-Road are neat though.

It's not Sandstorm level impressive, but it's a pretty neat bit of work.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Terry van Feleday posted:

Wear is an issue at first but I noticed that every figure I do has less of a problem with it. There's things you can do to mitigate it.
You should always keep the figure free of oil (from your fingers) and dirt - wash it in a bit of soapy water before painting and maybe even wear rubber gloves while handling it. Oils prevent paint from sticking properly. Secondly, remember that acrylics cure fully over the course of months, so after you paint something, it's best not to disturb it for a while (at least a week or two). Primer and topcoat also help, of course.

CyRaptor, the splotchy look means your paint's not thin enough. You need to water it down more and paint in many, thin coats, the first few of which don't need to cover fully. When painting white over dark colours, it helps to put down a grey basecoat first.

It's always cool to see people painting their toys. Most peeps maybe try once and then get discouraged when it doesn't work out, but, well, you wouldn't expect to draw a masterpiece after picking up a pencil for the first time, right? Get a bit of practice, and you can make your figures look a lot better. Never complain about missing paintapps again!

Good primer is your best friend. Also a properly cured sealant/varnish will help with wear and shine.

I also recommend starting with dark blue to blue grey to white instead of grey for building up whites to get more depth for a lot of color schemes.

Think I might paint Motormaster's eyes since his face pops off so easy, and the grey is so drat dull.

Spiderdrake posted:

Genetic posted his First Aid pictures. He's really nice looking.

Bit of a waifbot, I guess. The comparison shots with Off-Road are neat though.

It's not Sandstorm level impressive, but it's a pretty neat bit of work.

Oh neat. I still can't get over how nice the sculpting is on most of the new guys.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Defensor looks to be the best combiner yet, with the cherry-picking of the best limbs that seems to be going on. And Rook, I guess.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Defensor looks to be the best combiner yet, with the cherry-picking of the best limbs that seems to be going on. And Rook, I guess.

Rook gets hulk hands.

So yes, Defensor is looking to be the best combiner yet.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The only thing I'm disappointed with vis a vis Defensor is Blades could have used a little more work. He looks fine, but he doesn't get that far from under Alpha Bravo's shadow.

But they're selling 5 Aerialbot limbs and Alpha Bravo will look fine to me on Defensor. Plus given Alpha Bravo is going to be remolded at least once for Bruticus and probably, I don't know, four times for Computron I'm sure we'll all have enough copies of the mold to go around by the end.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

The wear issue keeps me from trying my hand at repainting figures.

If you need help with painting white and yellow, you should go to the Traditional Games forum and ask the painting thread there. I haven't painted a mini in a few years but white is absolutely the hardest to do well.

I once convinced Cheetimus to cough up his secret to good-looking yellows and whites. Turns out he mixes them with silver which really helps with the coverage. I've tried it myself and can verify. Also, if you look the the yellow on bombshell's chest, it looks like Hasbro has learned this technique too.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Genetic posted his Hot Spot stuff here

Sorry to spam the thread but geez these guys photograph well. Hot Spot does seem to be a bit thin/gap in parts, but it might be the design being stretched a little too far. Sure does look good from the front, though.

I do sort of wonder how this could/would work for Bruticus

I guess maybe just have Onslaught's cannons 5mm peg to the sides of the "ladder" and then have the hands grasp them to give the double barrel back illusion? You'd need some remolding sure, but otherwise the profile is not too far dissimilar. I kinda like the ladder spine design, cool trick.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Spiderdrake posted:

I guess maybe just have Onslaught's cannons 5mm peg to the sides of the "ladder" and then have the hands grasp them to give the double barrel back illusion? You'd need some remolding sure, but otherwise the profile is not too far dissimilar. I kinda like the ladder spine design, cool trick.

Just put a rotating pair of artillery cannons on a swivel where the ladder goes. I'm really looking forward to Wave 3 as well, they look like they'll display fantastically, and the limbs are like a greatest hits collection of CW deluxes.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yeah I imagine the Onslaught remold is gonna replace the ladder with twin cannons, and I'd like it if they remold the front of the truck (his feet) to look more like Onslaught's classic truck front.

The Protectobots are lookin' good.

I just read that rescue bots is getting a fourth season. The curse is broken?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
RID Strongarm is the most shellforming TF to ever shellform. I rather liked RID Grimlock, Drift and even Bumblebee. Optimus Prime was okay, a little lackluster. Strongarm is just terrible.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Hot Spot looks so good

but I don't want a Fire Convoy redeco unless the "limbs" just combine into a trailer or something.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

strangehamster posted:

Reminders for North Americans and also for The_Doctor,

TFCon CA is in Mississauga, On (Toronto) from July 16 - 19

:captainpop: I looked this up and it's a 10 minute walk from my job. I could finish my shift and go harass hang out with Optimus Prime!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Are there any Transformers conventions in the Boston area at all, ever?

That'd be neato keen

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
That First Aid's head sculpt is spot on drat.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Yeah, even if I don't end up getting any CW this time around, that first aid is amazing and going on the list of things to get eventually.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Cherry picking the best limbs so far and the fantastic-looking Rook and Hotspot, I should say.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Captain Invictus posted:

Are there any Transformers conventions in the Boston area at all, ever?

That'd be neato keen

No :( Closet we ever get to that is PAX east.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

OptimusShr posted:

No :( Closet we ever get to that is PAX east.

Nobody wants to hold conventions on the east coast because they have to deal with a ton of legal bullshit.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The Taint Reaper posted:

Nobody wants to hold conventions on the east coast because they have to deal with a ton of legal bullshit.

Is that the teamster bullshit? Like, you can't plug in a lamp yourself, you have to wait for someone to come do it for you, and they'll charge $200 to do so?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

The_Doctor posted:

Is that the teamster bullshit? Like, you can't plug in a lamp yourself, you have to wait for someone to come do it for you, and they'll charge $200 to do so?

Yeah that' sounds like the NYC unions pretty much.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Except there are like conventions on the east coast all the time?

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
Anyone have any advice on selling off a bunch of alternators? I'm pruning down my collection including several of those and I was wondering if it's better to try selling them individually or as a lot or two.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

DisposableHero posted:

Anyone have any advice on selling off a bunch of alternators? I'm pruning down my collection including several of those and I was wondering if it's better to try selling them individually or as a lot or two.

Generally easier in a few small lots but you'll probably make less.

Do you have Smokescreen? PM me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DisposableHero posted:

I just picked up 6 of them for $50 shipped. Silverstreak, Smokescreen, Swerve, Jazz and two Vipers.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

shymog posted:

I do but he's one of the few I'm planning to keep. Thanks for the advice though.

DisposableHero fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 13, 2015

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
How can CW Hot Spot have such a wonderful bot mode and such a half-assed firetruck design at the same time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ka0 posted:

How can CW Hot Spot have such a wonderful bot mode and such a half-assed firetruck design at the same time.

Same reason Motormaster's bot mode looks great but Optimus looks a bit like rear end. They have to make them into more than one character.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ka0 posted:

It's a cool FUTURE FIRE TRUCK, okay? It's perfect and I might have to fight you if you keep up this smack talk.

Seriously though, it looks like the RID Optimus Prime that was a fire truck.

DisposableHero posted:

If you want to send me a PM with what you're trying to get rid of I could take a look. Especially if you want to get rid of an Alternators Prowl.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Now this here's a completely unexpected repaint.

I mean a japanese black Optimus repaint, who saw this coming?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's a cool FUTURE FIRE TRUCK, okay? It's perfect and I might have to fight you if you keep up this smack talk.

Seriously though, it looks like the RID Optimus Prime that was a fire truck.
Except instead of his head just being there in the middle of the truck, it's at the end of the ladder.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Blackheart posted:

Now this here's a completely unexpected repaint.

I mean a japanese black Optimus repaint, who saw this coming?

Not my black convoy. What's with all that gold and BH Predaking's cleaver thingie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Isn't that BH Prime's sword? The big-rear end Prime that Target closed out for like $10?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

It's one of these! A Rosenbauer Panther fire truck. Same alt mode as Sentinel Prime in DotM.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

DisposableHero posted:

I sold all of mine off (with the exception of Rumble) in a lot and many of them were missing a weapon and I did surprisingly well. I don't think individual Alternators sell for that much anymore, you might have better luck just dumping them all in a lot, not to mention it'll save you a ton of hassle.

The_Doctor posted:

It's one of these! A Rosenbauer Panther fire truck. Same alt mode as Sentinel Prime in DotM.

Yeah, the front half

catch22 fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 13, 2015

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Honestly Hotspot looks like a flattened version of Fire Convoy's truck mode. Not anything to go crazy about, but I've seen more :effort: altmodes, and his other two modes are stellar.

Rhyno posted:

Isn't that BH Prime's sword? The big-rear end Prime that Target closed out for like $10?

Yeah it's that one. I was almost tempted to buy that thing because the gigantic cleaver is so sick.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

shymog posted:

I've got one if you want it. I've also got Alternators Sideswipe if any one is in search. Both complete.

Blackheart posted:

Honestly Hotspot looks like a flattened version of Fire Convoy's truck mode. Not anything to go crazy about, but I've seen more :effort: altmodes, and his other two modes are stellar.

Yeah it's that one. I was almost tempted to buy that thing because the gigantic cleaver is so sick.

He's a good looking bot on the shelf too. Especially for that ten bucks. Too bad about that lazy dragon mode though.

Captain Blaargh fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 13, 2015

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
Going through the alternators I have. Getting rid of about half. Mostly ones I've got more than one deco of the same mold for. I came across this gun loose in my alternators box though and can't seem to figure out the owner. Anyone recognize it?

I thought it might be one of the 3 Jeep guys I have since I know those fold in half but I checked and they all have their gun. It seems like all the others also have their weapons but maybe this is an additional sidearm I'm not accounting for?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Captain Blaargh posted:

He's a good looking bot on the shelf too. Especially for that ten bucks. Too bad about that lazy dragon mode though.

That weapon is from an Optimus figure:

But yeah Predaking got some cool if simple figures, the Ultimate is great and the second voyager (the "upscaled" one) is even better bang for your buck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

That's what I get for trying to identify plastic swords without any coffee in me.