Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/video-shows-tulsa-man-shot-deputy-meant-stun-article-1.2181787

Grandpa meant to taze the subdued suspect, but shot him to death. Haha, ooooh grandpa you crazy old coot.
I'll be watching this one closely as I unfortunately lived many years in that shithole of a state. It's just as backwards and racist as you'd imagine so I'm not sure what the response will be. My gut instinct is "not much" - both in terms of investigation into the incident and response from the citizens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

I'll be watching this one closely as I unfortunately lived many years in that shithole of a state. It's just as backwards and racist as you'd imagine so I'm not sure what the response will be. My gut instinct is "not much" - both in terms of investigation into the incident and response from the citizens.

They had her fully restrained and punched her in the legs before repeatedly tasing her. This is what they fully admit to. They should be charged with torture and manslaughter.
Actually, this is a great Federal civil rights case. A black woman, mentally ill, tortured to death. I don't have a lot of faith that the locals will hold anyone accountable, but if the Feds can't make a case out of this they are completely loving useless.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

The cop that said "You shouldn't have loving run" is pretty much going to the societies view of it, he ran so "he deserved what he got." American society is loving disgusting

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Florida Betty posted:

Here's a story out of VA.

A mentally ill woman was in a jail cell with her hands handcuffed behind her back, leg shackles, and a protective face mask, and was tasered to death because she refused to bend her knees to be put in a wheeled restraint chair.

Such a completely unnecessary death. Police are investigating, no charges filed yet, etc.

quote:

Fairfax County Sheriff Stacey Kincaid declined to comment on the case but defended the use of a stun gun on a restrained prisoner, saying it was “a means that is often useful to ensure the safety of a person” rather than using physical force to gain compliance.
Genuinely curious about the validity of this. It seems like being tazed may be safer for the prisoner than being tackled to the floor of a concrete cell, but I'd like to know what research has been done.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Genuinely curious about the validity of this. It seems like being tazed may be safer for the prisoner than being tackled to the floor of a concrete cell, but I'd like to know what research has been done.

Why would they need to tackle her or taze her? Just leave her alone for a little while until she calmed down. If you have her completely shackled and in a cell, why do you have to force her to do anything? Leave her alone. If that fails, get someone qualified to deal with her and drug her rear end into compliance. Seriously, was she loving up their schedule? They had to move her right goddamn now, so backing off wasn't an option?

There is no justification for tazing her or tackling her. If she is fully restrained and freaking out, leave her alone and let her tire herself out or wait until she has a moment of sanity.

Edit: What makes you think they didn't tackle and punch her before they tazed her? Even their accounts seem to indicate they abused her physically before the tazing, even when she was already in restraints.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 12, 2015

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
If a person is of sound mind pain might make them realize they need to start complying with orders. If they aren't, the chances that it just makes them less compliant are pretty drat good. Just from the brief description of this incident, it sounds like the use of the tazer was completely pointless and brutal.

Combined with the mentally ill guy who was shot for lunging with a screwdriver it's pretty clear to me cops and prison guards just don't realize they need to handle the mentally ill, at least the known mentally ill, differently than a normal person. If someone is severely mentally ill, it's probably not their fault they aren't complying with your orders. They can't.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Pohl posted:

Why would they need to tackle her or taze her? Just leave her alone for a little while until she calmed down. If you have her completely shackled and in a cell, why do you have to force her to do anything? Leave her alone. If that fails, get someone qualified to deal with her and drug her rear end into compliance. Seriously, was she loving up their schedule? They had to move her right goddamn now, so backing off wasn't an option?

There is no justification for tazing her or tackling her. If she is fully restrained and freaking out, leave her alone and let her tire herself out or wait until she has a moment of sanity.

Edit: What makes you think they didn't tackle and punch her before they tazed her? Even their accounts seem to indicate they abused her physically before the tazing, even when she was already in restraints.

Yeah, all that quote does is demonstrate that the sheriff wasn't thinking "mentally ill person", he too is stuck in the "compliance first, at all costs" mentality.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/video-shows-tulsa-man-shot-deputy-meant-stun-article-1.2181787

Grandpa meant to taze the subdued suspect, but shot him to death. Haha, ooooh grandpa you crazy old coot.

quote:

Sheriff’s Capt. Billy McKelvey claims the arresting officers were not aware Harris had been shot, despite the gunshot noise and Bates’ admission. They called paramedics and firefighters, and rendered aid when they realized, McKelvey said.

“He made an inadvertent mistake,” McKelvey said.

Sgt. Dave Walker told the Tulsa World that police “would not investigate the death unless the sheriff’s office asked them to, and they have not asked us to.”
:suicide:

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

FuriousxGeorge posted:

If a person is of sound mind pain might make them realize they need to start complying with orders. If they aren't, the chances that it just makes them less compliant are pretty drat good. Just from the brief description of this incident, it sounds like the use of the tazer was completely pointless and brutal.

Combined with the mentally ill guy who was shot for lunging with a screwdriver it's pretty clear to me cops and prison guards just don't realize they need to handle the mentally ill, at least the known mentally ill, differently than a normal person. If someone is severely mentally ill, it's probably not their fault they aren't complying with your orders. They can't.

They knew she was mentally ill, poo poo they were wearing hazmat suits because she had a history of urinating when she was stressed. They knew exactly what they were dealing with, and they went in with force in order to make her comply. They knew, and it breaks my brain trying to understand how they got it so loving wrong.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

I'm more concerned about how they treated him after he was shot.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Pohl posted:

I'm more concerned about how they treated him after he was shot.

quote:

“He shot me! He shot me, man. Oh, my god. I’m losing my breath,” Eric Harris says as he struggles on the ground following the April 2 shooting, which flew under the radar until video emerged a week later.

“F--- your breath,” a callous officer can be heard saying. “Shut the f--- up!”
“You shouldn’t have f-----g ran!” another deputy screams, as Harris is held down by his neck and head.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

If they had started treating him as a gunshot victim rather than a thug, he might have lived. I can't say he would have lived, because I don't know the extent of his injuries.
However, they decided to continue with their force compliance on him. What was he going to do, run?

poo poo, act compassionate, allow him to lay in a comfortable position and call an ambulance. He lived for over an hour, so not stressing him out and physically man handling him may have let him live. Stupid criminal charges could have waited until he was recovered, but no; he had to be restrained and forced into compliance right now.

The gunshot may have been an accident, the way they responded to it was loving inhumane and negligent.

Edit: I guess I didn't read fully what you posted, the bold part stuck in my brain. You should bold that entire post. They are saying they didn't realize he was shot? Hahaha. :suicide:

Pohl fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 12, 2015

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
The level of "meh" at all levels, from the cops on the scene to the sheriff to the police sergeant, feels so bizarre. Enough that it looks like a coordinated response. Like everyone knows it's a polite fiction. And if it's not, if they just care that little that somebody died, it's depraved indifference.

And I'll believe they provided CPR when I see it on the video.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Cichlid the Loach posted:

The level of "meh" at all levels, from the cops on the scene to the sheriff to the police sergeant, feels so bizarre. Enough that it looks like a coordinated response. Like everyone knows it's a polite fiction. And if it's not, if they just care that little that somebody died, it's depraved indifference.

And I'll believe they provided CPR when I see it on the video.

God provided the CPR while they stood around.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Dead Reckoning posted:

It seems like being tazed may be safer for the prisoner

I'm thinking in the Virginia case the opposite was true.

Also, re: Oklahoma case (lol thought I was reaching for the Taser silly me), even if it wasn't considered malicious, isn't making that kind of mistake a HUGE loving DEAL since it results in the death of a person you weren't trying to kill? Doesn't making that error alone warrant severe discipline and/or dismissal of the officer? Like in the Oakland Fruitvale Station case?

The official response "honest mistake" is like spilling your morning coffee on the floor is an honest mistake. No big deal, really.

Edit: If a cop killed someone by accidentally running over them on the sidewalk driving carelessly, I get the feeling that would be considered a lot bigger deal than accidentally shooting them with a gun instead of a Taser, simply because a gun is involved in the latter case.

I also suspect the "eh, honest mistake" response would probably not be the official word if it was a white citizen who was killed, but call me crazy.

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 12, 2015

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

http://m.newsok.com/sheriffs-office-reserve-deputy-who-fired-fatal-shot-was-among-lots-of-wealthy-donors-in-reserve-program/article/5407923

Does anyone have any more info on this "reserve deputy" nonsense? From what I've read the guy who shot Harris was a 73 year old unpaid "volunteer." Do they seriously give retired wannabes guns and tasers for ride-alongs if they donate enough money to the department? How the gently caress is this legal?

Zwabu posted:

I'm thinking in the Virginia case the opposite was true.

Also, re: Oklahoma case (lol thought I was reaching for the Taser silly me), even if it wasn't considered malicious, isn't making that kind of mistake a HUGE loving DEAL since it results in the death of a person you weren't trying to kill? Doesn't making that error alone warrant severe discipline and/or dismissal of the officer? Like in the Oakland Fruitvale Station case?

The official response "honest mistake" is like spilling your morning coffee on the floor is an honest mistake. No big deal, really.

It seems like these taser vs firearm errors only go one way, too.

Rhesus Pieces fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 12, 2015

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Rhesus Pieces posted:

http://m.newsok.com/sheriffs-office-reserve-deputy-who-fired-fatal-shot-was-among-lots-of-wealthy-donors-in-reserve-program/article/5407923

Does anyone have any more info on this "reserve deputy" nonsense? From what I've read the guy who shot Harris was a 73 year old unpaid "volunteer." Do they seriously give retired wannabes guns and tasers for ride-alongs if they donate enough money to the department? How the gently caress is this legal?

Jesus H loving Christ. I assumed it was an actual cop. What the everloving gently caress.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
GG small town America. I'm sure allowing totally untrained and armed seniors to chase down suspects, while playing cops and robbers, is an absolutely bright idea.

My prediction of the outcome of this is: absolutely nothing will change and old fogey will be praised as a local hero.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Agrajag posted:

GG small town America. I'm sure allowing totally untrained and armed seniors to chase down suspects, while playing cops and robbers, is an absolutely bright idea.

You sound like some kind of crime-lover to me :clint:

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Agrajag posted:

My prediction of the outcome of this is: absolutely nothing will change and old fogey will be praised as a local hero.

Tulsa isn't a small town, it's the most elegant and cultured city in Oklahoma. You don't want to know what goes on in small town Oklahoma.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Zwabu posted:

Edit: If a cop killed someone by accidentally running over them on the sidewalk driving carelessly, I get the feeling that would be considered a lot bigger deal than accidentally shooting them with a gun instead of a Taser, simply because a gun is involved in the latter case.

Video Points To NYPD Cover-Up After Cop Fatally Ran Over Pedestrian
Sober Driver Arrested for DWI When Deputy Crashes Into Her

I agree with your point, though. I don't understand how someone DIES and "We didn't mean to, okay?" is always the end of it. In what other field does that happen, do they not examine what they could have done differently and how to prevent this happening again, because someone being killed is a huge loving deal that in every other field is treated as a "zero event?"

Like, if cops are legitimately mixing up their guns and their tasers, isn't that a major loving design flaw that should be fixed? If it can't be, maybe cops just shouldn't carry a gun and a taser at the same time? Just spitballing here.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Rhesus Pieces posted:

It seems like these taser vs firearm errors only go one way, too.
Yeah, it sounds like he was an insurance executive who literally bought his badge.

Tulsa World posted:

Bates apparently is not alone as both a donor and reserve deputy. While the Sheriff’s Office has not released its full roster, Clark said other wealthy donors are among the agency’s 130 reserve deputies.

“There are lots of wealthy people in the reserve program,” he said. “Many of them make donations of items. That’s not unusual at all.”

Bates has donated multiple vehicles, guns and stun guns to the Sheriff’s Office since he became a reserve deputy in 2008, Clark said. The Sheriff’s Office did not have an itemized list of donations made by Bates available Monday and deferred that question to the county commissioners’ office, which tracks those items.

The shooting, which a Sheriff’s Office press release says happened after a brief foot pursuit in the 2000 block of North Harvard Avenue, was recorded via two “sunglass cameras,” Clark said. He could not confirm whether those sunglass cameras were purchased by Bates, but a source told the Tulsa World that Bates had recently purchased them for the Violent Crimes Task Force.

Before Bates was a reserve deputy, he served one year — from 1964 to 1965 — as a police officer, according to Tulsa police.

According to the Sheriff’s Office’s Reserve Deputy Program policy manual, reserves — who Clark said are not compensated financially for any hours they work — are separated into three categories: basic, intermediate and advanced.

Bates, Clark said, is classified as an “advanced reserve,” which means he “can do anything a full-time deputy can do.” Though Bates’ assignment to the Violent Crimes Task Force was not unusual, Clark said, the insurance company executive would have been assigned to the undercover operation in a support role.

“Although he had training and experience for the arrest team, he’s not assigned to the arrest team,” Clark said of Bates’ role on the task force. “He came to render aid during the altercation, but he’s in a support role during the operation. That means keeping notes, doing counter-surveillance, things like that.”

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Haha, this got crazy as poo poo.
Which reminds me, why was he even going to taze the guy anyway? He was on the ground and contained. Maybe I'm just a big old soft lefty, but I couldn't even tell why the guy needed to be tazed. :shobon:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Pohl posted:

Which reminds me, why was he even going to taze the guy anyway? He was on the ground and contained.

He had to get his licks in somehow...can't miss all the fun.

Pohl posted:

Maybe I'm just a big old soft lefty, but I couldn't even tell why the guy needed to be tazed. :shobon:

See above. Also because criminals are subhuman and deserve to get beaten/shot/tased. Also, he might have been a ninja, and depending on skin color he may have had brute retard strength and/or demons in his face.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Rah! posted:

He had to get his licks in somehow...can't miss all the fun.

See above. Also because criminals are subhuman and deserve to get beaten/shot/tased. Also, he might have been a ninja, and depending on skin color he may have had brute retard strength and/or demons in his face.

Victim was black so clearly armed.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
You guy's say that but would you pass these tests to be a police man?

http://www.policeprep.com/public/frames_sample_us.aspx

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Pohl posted:

Which reminds me, why was he even going to taze the guy anyway? He was on the ground and contained. Maybe I'm just a big old soft lefty, but I couldn't even tell why the guy needed to be tazed. :shobon:

Because apparently the Tulsa PD gives untrained old farts a badge and a gun if they buy the department enough toys.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I'm about to move out of the South but I'm in need of as much $ as possible I was wondering if I could appropriate "gently caress your breath" to sell t-shirts because there are a lot of people here who favor a police beating over anything good for black people.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Agrajag posted:

Victim was black so clearly armed.

The victim was being arrested for trying to illegally sell a 9mm pistol to undercovers, so yeah, the possibility that he was armed is not exactly a stretch.

Doesn't really have any bearing on the hilariously unjustifiable shooting though.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Dead Reckoning posted:

The victim was being arrested for trying to illegally sell a 9mm pistol to undercovers, so yeah, the possibility that he was armed is not exactly a stretch.

Doesn't really have any bearing on the hilariously unjustifiable shooting though.

Let me know where in the videow of him running his rear end off you saw him with a gun in his hands. Aside from the weapon of black guy, that is.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Agrajag posted:

Let me know where in the videow of him running his rear end off you saw him with a gun in his hands. Aside from the weapon of black guy, that is.

Dude, did you see that road?

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

tentative8e8op posted:

Yeah, it sounds like he was an insurance executive who literally bought his badge.

The British army stopped letting rich idiots buy ranks almost 150 years ago, precisely because of this sort of stupidity. It's not good when you're lagging behind the British "if we hosed up when we hosed you up, it's because we didn't gently caress hard enough" Empire at the height of it's fuckery.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hollismason posted:

You guy's say that but would you pass these tests to be a police man?

http://www.policeprep.com/public/frames_sample_us.aspx

I looked at some of the sample questions on the Florida one. It's literally testing on middle school knowledge. It asked how to spell "phenomenal" and how to add fractions.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
The disconnect between "Oh! I shot him, I'm sorry" and "gently caress your breath, shut the gently caress up" is staggering.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

nm posted:

These guys (the not cops) are some of the dumbest people I have ever seen, I almost wonder if there's some mental health/development disability going on (which would make it sadder). I don't know what the gently caress they were thinking (I guess it was white privilege gone wrong). Sounds like someone in the group battered a walmart employee because they didn't want a female employee going into the same restroom as their mom? I have no doubt that these crazy fuckers could have grabbed the cop's gun.

The police could have used better crowd control, but misdemeanor cites rarely go this crazy.

It would be funny if no one what been shot.

If they weren't white they'd all be dead.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

effectual posted:

If they weren't white they'd all be dead.

At one point in the middle of the video I could swear that one of the cops kicks another one of the cops in the head.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Something about how they scream at the dead/dying guy to "put their hands behind their back" and cuff them even if they're a corpse really pisses me off.

Maybe because it really emphasizes that the whole "COMPLY, CITIZEN" mentality really is all that matters, even after the person is loving dead. I don't know, it's just enraging to me.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bel Shazar posted:

At one point in the middle of the video I could swear that one of the cops kicks another one of the cops in the head.

yup

Amos Moses
Oct 13, 2012

by Ralp
People keep saying that police need to stop shooting people.

Should be more people saying "Don't loving run from the cops" and "stop breaking the law"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Amos Moses posted:

People keep saying that police need to stop shooting people.

Should be more people saying "Don't loving run from the cops" and "stop breaking the law"

I wish cops would stop breaking the law. :smith:

• Locked thread