Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

Series DD Funding posted:

Hillary Rodham Clinton :twisted:

:drat: :iceburn:

whatever7 posted:

Has Hillary hinted her Iran/Israel policy?

Let's guess: full-throated support for Israel, on the terms that they agree to continue pursuing a two-state solution. :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Quidam Viator posted:

Rand Paul: "The War on Drugs has created a culture of violence and puts police in an impossible situation.”

Rand Paul Pledges to 'Immediately' End NSA Mass Surveillance If Elected President

Well, I guess we're lucky that Rand al'Paul is such an obvious fuckup to everyone on Wonkette and on here, and that the establishment hates him so much. All I can say is that I don't think you'll see a single other candidate take these positions, and that they are popular with a lot of people. So, maybe much like Bernie Sanders, the unelectability of the candidate will overpower the candidate's unique platform on popular issues.

poo poo, there must have been as many Obama petitions to legalize cannabis as there were GOP attempts to cancel Obamacare. And saying you'll shut down the NSA? poo poo doesn't even have to be true, everyone's freaking out about how they're being spied on.
Given how swiftly Rand is backpedalling on everything ever, why would you possibly believe that he would actually make more than a token effort in these directions? I thought the whole bitch about the Democrats is that they make token efforts at best towards leftism; would you expect more from a hypothetical Rand Paul presidency? He'd be more likely to abolish the IRS.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

whatever7 posted:

:ssh: She was Secretary of State for four years, she can distance herself from Obama on many issues if she wants to but she's going to have to own the current foreign policy direction.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Quidam Viator posted:

:drat: :iceburn:

Let's guess: full-throated support for Israel, on the terms that they agree to continue pursuing a two-state solution. :shepicide:

I would imagine she is going to have to pick up where Obama left off for the most part, but otherwise will try to cozy back up with Israel as much as possible.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

whatever7 posted:

She's issued a statement supporting Obama's nuclear deal with Iran.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DaveWoo posted:

She's issued a statement supporting Obama's nuclear deal with Iran.

That make her slightly more electable. I still think she is a Yankee hat wearing liar and rather throw away my vote than vote for her.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!

PupsOfWar posted:

Whereas if you wait 'til 2020, then use anti-hillary backlash to elect the Cotton/West ticket, you could be bathing in atomic hellfire in just five short years.

2020 is too far away, it will be impossible for the revolution to rebuild our ruined environment then.

I need a President that will wipe out all life on earth in cleansing atomic conflagration no later than 2018 so the work of building utopia can begin before it's too late.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

2020 is too far away, it will be impossible for the revolution to rebuild our ruined environment then.

I need a President that will wipe out all life on earth in cleansing atomic conflagration no later than 2018 so the work of building utopia can begin before it's too late.

well I suppose you could run an Incompetence-based ticket and hope they do it on accident

there's no way you can accomplish this via a Pure Malice ticket within that kinda timeframe.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Has this been posted yet? It's peak Florida Republican :qq: hand-wringing about the upcoming Jeb/Rubio slugfest.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

DynamicSloth posted:

:ssh: She was Secretary of State for four years, she can distance herself from Obama on many issues if she wants to but she's going to have to own the current foreign policy direction.

She really doesn't. First term stuff, maybe, and I'm sure she'll get a few half-hearted barbs about the relations reset with Russia, but if Obama's recent less-than-complete-subservience toward Israel garners criticism it'll cost her nothing to say she's not Obama and doesn't always agree with his positions.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Dolash posted:

She really doesn't. First term stuff, maybe, and I'm sure she'll get a few half-hearted barbs about the relations reset with Russia, but if Obama's recent less-than-complete-subservience toward Israel garners criticism it'll cost her nothing to say she's not Obama and doesn't always agree with his positions.

If the Iran framework deal is in place this year there is no chance the next Democratic administration will break the agreement.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the Clintons hate Bibi.

Joementum fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 12, 2015

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Joementum posted:

If the Iran framework deal is in place this year there is no chance the next Democratic administration will break the agreement.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the Clintons hate Bibi.

Headline was slightly confusing for a few moments.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
"We must do better than the Obama-Clinton foreign policy."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOzLLj-IxjM

... by electing a member of the Bush family, because when has that ever gone wrong?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
This is so disturbing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECwgWgpPwxc

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Is he diabetic? He seems to always be thirsty.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Some people have very dry mouths - I have it pretty bad, too. Could be plain poor spit production, could be medicinal side effects - permanent or temporary. Could be a seasonal yeast-fungal infection, especially if you're allergic. Believe it's yeast fungus that gives you bags under the eyes, too (well one of the causes).

Maybe Florida doesn't agree with him.

ssbbud
Jan 2, 2014
Watching Rand on Meet the Press (I know, I know) and I'm cracking up at how bad he is at basic interaction.

Ex: He tried to laugh off the Today interview with a little self-deprecating humor, to connect to the common person of course, explaining that he needs his coffee, etc. to function normally and maybe he just woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Chuck jumped in and asked him if he wasn't a morning person. Rand was like in mid-chuckle at his 'joke' when you could actually see his body stiffen up as he realized being an rear end in a top hat in the mornings isn't considered very presidential and then he went on a rant about how much he loves the morning, how much he prefers it, and how he can prove it through his experience as a doctor.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Nonsense posted:

Republicans probably going to bring up Janet Reno again. A lot.

Will Hilary's candidacy be able to withstand the pent-up frustrations of 25 years of the Republican Clinton Hate Machine? :ohdear:

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Will Hilary's candidacy be able to withstand the pent-up frustrations of 25 years of the Republican Clinton Hate Machine? :ohdear:

Anytime anyone brings up anything from that time period, Hillary should just have Bill respond.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Bro, do you even liberty?

#LibertyNotHillary http://libertynothillary.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUAP_WMr2fw

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
So from an article I read it looks like her main reason for announcing now is because her donors were getting antsy and wanted to start writing checks. I think she wants to keep as low a profile as possible while also running for president.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
You can now buy used internal IDE drives from Rand Paul's campaign.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

baw posted:

So from an article I read it looks like her main reason for announcing now is because her donors were getting antsy and wanted to start writing checks. I think she wants to keep as low a profile as possible while also running for president.

Well, it's about time. She's been sucking the air out of the room for almost two years now. In fact, everyone else is so poorly positioned that if she wasn't going to run, she should have said so a year ago.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Joementum posted:

The best part about this stupid crap is that if he is ever called out for it, he can deny responsibility and say that someone else did it without his knowledge; all the while raking in those fabulous bitcoins.
Life is good.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

This is absolutely genius and I am so happy I didn't throw away the dying hard drive I replaced Friday yet.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

TheBalor posted:

Well, it's about time. She's been sucking the air out of the room for almost two years now. In fact, everyone else is so poorly positioned that if she wasn't going to run, she should have said so a year ago.

You don't clear the field this thoroughly without actively telling people behind the scenes that you are indeed running for President.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Gyges posted:

There is no silent Republican voter tsunami withholding it's vote. Republicans always vote, it's the Democrats who you have to convince to come out to the polls. Also while Obama terrifies Jim Webb Democrats, who don't have an issue with Hillary, the "Obama minorities" aren't scared of Hillary at all.

Not in 2008 they didn't, or 2006. It's not some law that they are automatically going to get high turnout every election, they have to work at it just like the dems. They just tend to be better at it.

DynamicSloth posted:

What makes you think that? There's no way she's going to be as good as Obama is on the issue. If you mean she won't scuttle the Iran deal, sure, but she might not press it too much if the republicans fight it, either.

If you think she has to keep the same policy as Obama just because she was SoS, well no that isn't historically true at all.

tsa fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 12, 2015

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
Really not looking forward to spending the next year and a half defending Hillary from a "lesser of two evils" position.

I am, however, definitely looking forward to watching the right wing go absolutely loving insane over her.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
Like if Colin Powell ran and won for some reason do you really think he would just mimic Bush policy? I doubt that very much, people can shift pretty easily in this regard.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Dry mouth is an incredibly common side effect of a bunch of meds.

tsa fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 12, 2015

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

Joementum posted:

"We must do better than the Obama-Clinton foreign policy."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOzLLj-IxjM

... by electing a member of the Bush family, because when has that ever gone wrong?

Maybe I'm being naive, but how can a PAC for a candidate possibly have a live interview/statement from that candidate without there being any coordination?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Rivensteel posted:

Maybe I'm being naive, but how can a PAC for a candidate possibly have a live interview/statement from that candidate without there being any coordination?

It's a regular PAC, with donation limits, not a Super PAC.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

tsa posted:

Not in 2008 they didn't, or 2006. It's not some law that they are automatically going to get high turnout every election, they have to work at it just like the dems. They just tend to be better at it.

Not necessarily true. Republicans really do vote at higher rates, naturally, than Democrats. Their base intersects with the voters most likely to turn out - older, whiter, richer. Democrats have an actual larger base of voters, but they are far less likely to turn out and they are disproportionately concentrated in fewer states. The GOP's turnout machine is generally considered to be a joke, although they've gotten better at it. They simply have far fewer marginal voters to turn out, so they don't really need to do a lot of GOTV.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Rivensteel posted:

Welcome to modern election laws. A candidate can literally show up at a SuperPAC fundraiser and encourage people to donate to it.

Edit: But yes, this is a leadership PAC. That said, the laws on coordination for all PACs are hilariously loose.

Concerned Citizen fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 12, 2015

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Rivensteel posted:

Well a statement is easy. If I run a PAC in 2012 and I like Obama, I'm definitely going to replay any speeches from him because he is a good speaker. I'm no expert on the law but I think coordination has to be a lot deeper than that to count. Even an interview could be done in a way that avoids it, though of course in practice there's probably at least a little something going on.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

tsa posted:

Like if Colin Powell ran and won for some reason do you really think he would just mimic Bush policy? I doubt that very much, people can shift pretty easily in this regard.

That's very different. Colin Powell left the Sos position BECAUSE he was seen inside the administration as a detractor. Clinton left much more amiably and Kerry's role seems to be pretty similar to hers.

Besides, why does she want to run from the Iran deal? Last I heard it was pretty popular and the Republican response has generally been seen as childish. You can broker a deal with Iran and still be an ally of Israel. Not being in Israel's pocket hasn't hurt Obama, nor did it really give Bill any grief.

Young Hegelian
Aug 27, 2012

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Really not looking forward to spending the next year and a half defending Hillary from a "lesser of two evils" position.

I am, however, definitely looking forward to watching the right wing go absolutely loving insane over her.

So defend Hillary as the person who controls the balance of a divided Senate, all administrative agencies, and any Supreme Court replacements. She starts to look a lot less like a "lesser evil" in that light.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

He's a lizard person!

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Scott Walker looks like he's half-bake.
Mark Rubio's thirst, hard to slake.
Perry, faux-smart.
Cruz, a wet fart.
A Bush is the best? For gently caress's sake.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Lockback posted:

That's very different. Colin Powell left the Sos position BECAUSE he was seen inside the administration as a detractor. Clinton left much more amiably and Kerry's role seems to be pretty similar to hers.

Besides, why does she want to run from the Iran deal? Last I heard it was pretty popular and the Republican response has generally been seen as childish. You can broker a deal with Iran and still be an ally of Israel. Not being in Israel's pocket hasn't hurt Obama, nor did it really give Bill any grief.

OK we don't disagree then, I already said she won't scuttle the Iran deal.

Concerned Citizen posted:

Not necessarily true. Republicans really do vote at higher rates, naturally, than Democrats. Their base intersects with the voters most likely to turn out - older, whiter, richer. Democrats have an actual larger base of voters, but they are far less likely to turn out and they are disproportionately concentrated in fewer states. The GOP's turnout machine is generally considered to be a joke, although they've gotten better at it. They simply have far fewer marginal voters to turn out, so they don't really need to do a lot of GOTV.

I've seen some things that suggest it but the studies always make a lot of dubious assumptions. I'm not even sure what "naturally higher" can even be shown convincingly, there's way too many variables going on. Ignoring that, the point is republican turnout isn't a guarantee like some are suggesting.

The size of the base isn't a very convincing argument, that doesn't have to mean republicans have a higher propensity to vote, though it is a possible explanation. It could also be that republicans simply have a higher propensity given other variables which are confounding the relationship. Something like propensity score methods could be used, though they still don't guarantee you have isolated the effect to just Party vs. voting percent.

tsa fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

tsa posted:

2008 was the highest turnout since 1968. Republicans didn't lose because they didn't vote, they lost because more Democrats turned out. 2006 was essentially the same amount of turn out as 2002, so it's probably the exception.

You don't have to beg old white people to vote. They're going to vote. All you have to do is convince them to vote for you.

• Locked thread