Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

There's definitely backlash against the massive hype train they had going for their second album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
It's not even the thread. There was a period of a solid year or two where you couldn't wear a metal shirt into Trader Joe's without some patchouli-stink sophomore asking you about Ghost.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I haven't heard any news about Ghost for like 2 years why can't you nerds get over it Jesus

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Ghost make the devil boring.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

My guess is that we're all tired as gently caress of hearing about them in the metal thread

Pretty sure for the past year or so the only time they ever get brought up in this thread is to say we're tired of hearing about them.

That second album did suck real bad though.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

UltraVariant posted:

I've been wondering, is the whole animosity towards Ghost just a sort of sarcastic-hate-thing? I personally like them myself, so I mean I might get stoned for asking, but I still would like to know.

They're not very good and they have a gimmick.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

A human heart posted:

They're not very good and they have a gimmick.
See: GWAR

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

I wore out of Ghost's otherwise harmless and entertaining gimmick after I couldn't avoid them in metal circles nonstop. And I never liked GWAR either. :reject: If you're looking for Ghost's style without a reminder to hail satan every 6 seconds, Blood Ceremony is a good pick.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Ghost has an amusing aesthetic and a handful of decent songs and they don't deserve any strong feelings either way.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Kilometers Davis posted:

Ghost has an amusing aesthetic and a handful of decent songs and they don't deserve any strong feelings either way.

Take your level-headed reasonable sentiment somewhere else.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I really like their ABBA cover.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

DeusExMachinima posted:

I wore out of Ghost's otherwise harmless and entertaining gimmick after I couldn't avoid them in metal circles nonstop. And I never liked GWAR either. :reject: If you're looking for Ghost's style without a reminder to hail satan every 6 seconds, Blood Ceremony is a good pick.

Blood Ceremony and Ghost dont sound alike to me at all.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

They're generally ok to classify as doom without 1,000 adjectives/sub-sub-genre descriptors tacked on.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Not to be an elitist rear end in a top hat, but Ghost is barely metal.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

They're twice Grammy nominated :colbert:

Seriously though if Ghost would fight cyborg Jesus on stage a few times maybe they'd be worth talking about.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

:laffo::laffo:, the Grammys.

Tell me when Megadeth gets their 10th nomination without a win. I'll laugh harder.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Lencho posted:

Not to be an elitist rear end in a top hat, but Ghost is barely metal.

You don't need chugga-chugga and/or djent to be metal. Compared to the "normal" poo poo today much less the black grind whatevercore, bands like Coven basically sound acoustic. They're still 110% metal but from a different time.

But I do agree with what Shakenbaker said.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
The day that I start measuring worth of metal bands in relation to how many Grammy nominations they get is the day I eat a shotgun.

Not in terms of actually shooting myself, but actually eating a full-on shotgun with a knife and fork.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Turk February posted:

The day that I start measuring worth of metal bands in relation to how many Grammy nominations they get is the day I eat a shotgun.

Not in terms of actually shooting myself, but actually eating a full-on shotgun with a knife and fork.
How much monetary value would it take for me to see this?

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

UltraVariant posted:

:laffo::laffo:, the Grammys.

Tell me when Megadeth gets their 10th nomination without a win. I'll laugh harder.

12th

they are 0-11

some real Susan Lucci poo poo up in here :megadeath:

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

stab posted:

12th

they are 0-11

some real Susan Lucci poo poo up in here :megadeath:

Nah, she won once :v:

Also anyone who doesn't think Gwar losing to Annie Lennox with something called Phallus in Wonderland is a highpoint for mankind hates fun.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Had a dude at Publix say "hey nice shirt" towards my Saxon shirt. Great shirt moment, no obnoxiousness, proof that Saxon is a quality band with excellent mild mannered fans.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
PYF Metal Band Shirts

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

COOL CORN posted:

PYF Metal Band Shirts

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
gently caress Blake, I hope he's dead in a gutter right now. I lost 120 bucks, give or take, to him on multiple occations. One on one, he's a very convincing person!

Also I wasn't serious about the PYF thing, but okay.

:nws:
http://i.imgur.com/ogSPbLc.jpg
:nws:

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

COOL CORN posted:

gently caress Blake, I hope he's dead in a gutter right now. I lost 120 bucks, give or take, to him on multiple occations. One on one, he's a very convincing person!

dang man that's a real lovely thing to say

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
dead in a gutter is an extremely great band name so i don't think it's so bad

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

nerve posted:

dang man that's a real lovely thing to say

Nah, Blake is a giant piece of poo poo and deserves whatever is coming to him.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
i mean to me that's a pretty extreme thing to say no matter what, but in this case it's a dude that is suffering from a pretty severe drug addiction. yeah i know the dude has hosed people over, but do you actually honestly want to read tomorrow that he was found OD'd in a fuckin crack house? would that make you happy?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I don't think it would make me happy, but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised or emotionally affected in any way. At this point I feel like he's such an addict that he's basically a zombie as it is. Already dead, but still taking peoples' money. Well, as of a few months ago.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

nerve posted:

i mean to me that's a pretty extreme thing to say no matter what, but in this case it's a dude that is suffering from a pretty severe drug addiction. yeah i know the dude has hosed people over, but do you actually honestly want to read tomorrow that he was found OD'd in a fuckin crack house? would that make you happy?

I'm a very liberal and peaceful guy, but there's some people that I have absolutely zero sympathy for, and he's one of them. It sucks that he has gone down the path that he has to be such a despicable human being, but I wouldn't shed a single tear if I happened to read on Blabbermouth that some junkie caved his head in for his CD player.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

COOL CORN posted:

PYF Metal Band Shirts

This is definitely better than loving Ghostchat, or worse, meta-Ghostchat.

Good album, distinctive so friends can find me at shows, and purchased after one of the best live sets I've ever seen.

comedy option:

my favourite now-defunct early 2010s rap group who put out a shirt which is excellent for inspiring double-takes at metal gigs

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Is it weird going through life with your head permanently tilted 90 degrees sideways?

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

nerve posted:

Apparently he's been doing this sort of thing to fans and bandmates/collaborators since the '00s and well before he got involved with heroin. The drug problems just seem to have increased the frequency and scope of his scams to the point that it's actually destroyed his reputation.

I don't wish death upon him for ripping me off or anything, but this isn't some sad Basketball Diaries-like story where a basically good kid gets involved with drugs and alienates everyone.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Yeah that's fair, and I definitely took that post too literally

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I just saw Vallenfyre twice in one night and it was rad as hell. At the Gates was really good too but I only saw them the once so

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 13, 2015

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
Why the gently caress didn't anyone tell me Sigh had a new album coming? It's called Graveward and just leaked.

quote:

The album is an excellent black n' roll/heavy metal take on the classic horror films of the '60s and '70s, evoking Fabio Frizzi (Lucio Fulci's composer), Carnival of Souls, Hammer horror films, and King Diamond. And of course, it's unmistakably SIGH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Here it is on Youtube, for now at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92yZvSCV8aU

Maybe its an early mix, but the production seems pretty raw.