Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

I forget who posted this idea and I can't find it now, but I made another b&v thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

goddd i hate all the people who call into observer live. every one of them

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Cardboard Box posted:

Just like a real talk radio show!

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Cardboard Box posted:

I stopped listening to that show after I subscribed and started having other options. I don't need to hear about the ongoing Ed-Jim feud over who cares about women's wrestling more. I think the final straw was when literally every caller on a Saturday show just called in to plug their lovely indie wrestling shows.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

If people think the board is bad, it has nothing on Observer callers.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I kinda hate Talkin' Shop since the movie came out. I don't know what changed, but the show just annoys me now. Am I the only one?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

triplexpac posted:

I kinda hate Talkin' Shop since the movie came out. I don't know what changed, but the show just annoys me now. Am I the only one?

Nah, same here. The novelty has worn off for me. It still has it's moments but it's far from a 'must listen' show now.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Cardboard Box posted:

I have basically dropped any show on Observer with the possibility of call ins so I'm way behind on After Dark too because of it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

Yeah I hate to say it but their shilling for the movie is too far over the top and hurts the show. This past week's was really boring but I'm not ready to give up on it yet because they can't all be winners.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Any podcast or Rado show in general that has call in is bad

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Aesop Poprock posted:

Any podcast or Rado show in general that has call in is bad

Any interactivity with fans in general is a downer. Can't remember a single podcast that was made more interesting by listener feedback.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

dsriggs posted:

Any interactivity with fans in general is a downer. Can't remember a single podcast that was made more interesting by listener feedback.

Loveline?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I always hated talk n shop. Gave it two tries and it was just mehhhh.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's a radio show that's distributed as a podcast after the fact.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

triplexpac posted:

Ha Ha Hell Yeah man! your the only one man hell yeah!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Endless Mike posted:

That's a radio show that's distributed as a podcast after the fact.

And wrestling observer isn't?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

dsriggs posted:

Piper's callers are usually pretty cool :shobon:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

In this case he means years after the show's prime years ended. Loveline was it's best when Adam Carolla was less bigoted than he is now and was co hosting with Dr.Drew. Only recently have they made classic episodes into podcast episodes (with intros from creepy Superfan Giovanni) , and Carolla left in 2005. It's not really the same thing.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

WOL needs that dude who would call the Jim Rome Show to talk about amputees to start calling them.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Listening to Court Bauer praise Excalibur's PWG commentary as the best in the industry is kind of weird, I have to say.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Excalibur is really good

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Excalibur can stumble over his words sometimes and occasionally misremembers facts when referring to older shows, but he calls moves while still getting the story of the match across, gets properly excited for big moments, and his lighthearted banter with his color partners fits the overall tone of the promotion. He's perfect for PWG, and while he'd be too informal for WWE I bet he could do a much better job with a promotion like Lucha Underground than Matt Striker, for example.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

Cardboard Box posted:

Same. I'm embarrassed that I know these people by name. Don't I have something better to do with my life?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Spicolli obituary is as depressing as you'd expect.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

dsriggs posted:

The only good show to allow callers is Ron & Fez(R.I.P. Ron & Fez Show) because Ron is the wittiest person alive and can make any caller feel like the ham-n-egger rube they are on demand.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

MassRafTer posted:

The Spicolli obituary is as depressing as you'd expect.

It's an drat seemingly endless list of "he passed out on somas and was taken to the hospital" until this.

quote:

Spicolli was found dead by his friend John Hannah the next morning at about 8:55 a.m. Hannah, who stayed over at his house that night because they were up late watching tapes and he lived so far away, woke up to a really bad odor. When he opened the door to Spicolli's room, he knew right away what had happened. Spicolli was off his bed laying face first on the floor, there was vomit all over the place, his ankles were swollen and his body was already discolored. He had just turned 27 five days earlier.

Real awful feeling reading the whole thing.

quote:

In early 1996, while working for the WWF as Rad Radford, after taking about 55 somas, he was found face-first in a puddle in the rain in front of a neighbor's house in early 1996 and was rushed to the hospital. He was in life-threatening critical condition for two days. At one point he was actually clinically dead for a few minutes, and talked of smelling the cigar smoke of his deceased grandfather before the doctors got his heart started beating again.

quote:

He took as many as 85 somas in one sitting at his worst. It was not unusual both in his WWF and ECW days for him to pass out on airplanes and be taken to emergency rooms to throw it up out of his system, and miss connecting flights and show up late for shows. It became bad enough that Paul Heyman considered it a company embarrassment and feared the potential repercussions.

quote:

He started with WCW at the Orlando television tapings in August, and that job nearly ended right after it started as well. Just a few weeks later he overdosed on somas again and was hospitalized, but they were again able to get him to throw up and he was released later that day. It was a near miss about WCW finding out about it, as when he was in the hospital, Terry Taylor called and was simply told he wasn't home. If Taylor had called a few hours earlier, he would have caught Spicolli in bad enough shape to realize something was up. Spicolli finally took that as a wake-up call and kicked the pills cold turkey for about a week or two until finding out his mother had lymphatic cancer and was only expected to live a few more months. That put him into an emotional tailspin and he started back up.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

On today's show Dave mentioned Daniel Bryan isn't doing well and WWE is trying to protect him in the ring. Is his neck acting up again? I hadn't heard anything about a recurrence of injury.

edit: And boy do they love Reigns/Show for the PPV.

Bryan: These fuckers have actually booked Reigns vs. Big Show on a PPV. I can't believe it.
Dave: The match I would least want to see out of anything on the entire main roster.
B: And you know what makes me so mad about it?
D: What, that they're stupid?

Dunbar fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Apr 14, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Dunbar posted:

On today's show Dave mentioned Daniel Bryan isn't doing well and WWE is trying to protect him in the ring. Is his neck acting up again? I hadn't heard anything about a recurrence of injury.

Well he does do insane bumps in 3 minute nothing matches on TV because indie death stunts seem to be required in every match these days...

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Dunbar posted:

I believe he postulated that because there were a couple multi-man matches on the UK tour where Bryan did very little.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Dunbar posted:

edit: And boy do they love Reigns/Show for the PPV.

Bryan: These fuckers have actually booked Reigns vs. Big Show on a PPV. I can't believe it.
Dave: The match I would least want to see out of anything on the entire main roster.
B: And you know what makes me so mad about it?
D: What, that they're stupid?

"That was supposed to be Truth's gimmick."
"What a Puerto Rican bullfighter?"

Amazing.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

:shrug:

These things crack me up.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

flashy_mcflash posted:

I believe he postulated that because there were a couple multi-man matches on the UK tour where Bryan did very little.

The problem they have is if Bryan's really hosed up, he doesn't have enough of a track record of big money matches for him to really coast on.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Smoking Crow posted:

I actually didn't realize Wrestling Observer was played over airwaves. Color me corrected.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Endless Mike posted:

I actually didn't realize Wrestling Observer was played over airwaves. Color me corrected.

Wrestling Observer Live is a show with Bryan and Semp that's a legit over-the-air radio show that they also release as a podcast

Wrestling Observer Radio is a podcast with Bryan and Dave that's just on the website, not over the air

The naming confused the hell out of me when I first started following them

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ah, gotcha. Do they call lovely callers idiots? Because the Loveline crew are totally fine with doing that, which is probably why their callers aren't completely awful. They had an anti-vaxxer the other night and just berated him for five minutes.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Live Audio Wrestling has Jason Agnew berating callers and hanging up on them but their callers are still the dirt-worst. John from Arkansas calls into both the LAW and WOR Live and he suuuuuuucks.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
Bryan likes the dumb callers because they make his job easier.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

You can't tell me that the guy who got tricked by an April Fool's joke wasn't funny

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I liked when the LAW had a guy genuinely snoring on the phone for like 5 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Dave Meltzer posted:

--Bret Hart was at a dinner in Houston last night to celebrate the 100th birthday of Aushwitz and Russian Gulas survivor David Mitzner.

I didn't think the Tennessee territory was that bad off...

• Locked thread