Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Pinterest Mom posted:

the YoY decline in Japan is 44% :wth:

PC-98 comeback is unstoppable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

oh i guess there was a sales tax hike a year ago in japan so a lot of companies and people moved up their purchase to before the hike

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
checking in on Paul-chan:

Paul posted:

Lynda.com acquired by LinkedIn for $1.5 billion

Meanwhile, I have trouble getting people to spend $2 on a 600+ page e-book. But I will say this: Now LinkedIn actually has a business that makes sense. Seriously, guys. $2.

and then the comments section:

comments posted:

Daniel D
2 days ago
Paul I appreciate your writing skills, but as for the two dollar e-book, I say this respectfully, but the reason I wouldn't pay $2 for a 600 odd page e-book, is because I am simply not that engaged or interested in the subjects you are choosing to write about. I figure out what I need to know and thats enough.

From a commercial perspective, you would have been better off writing an e-book for the Apple watch launch. It is your choice to not go for those opportunities, but I think you miss out on a few that could bring in some dollars for the family bills.

On the other hand if people are interested in the subject matter and are pirating the book, come on people its two dollars!

Otaddy Daniel D
2 days ago
Plus you can get much of the information for free on the Internet.

DepressedFan Daniel D
2 days ago
I agree. You write about a platform with a 2% market share and wonder why there's a lack of interest. An in depth book on iOS 8 and/or Apple Watch would certainly interest me a lot more. If you want to just keep covering Microsoft platforms, even failed ones, more power to you. But don't be shocked about people's lack of interest...

lmao

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Scott Forstall posted:

checking in on Paul-chan:

and then the comments section:

lmao
i'm the assumption that linkedin now has a business model that makes sense when compared to microsoft, not compared to themselves pre-lynda acquisition

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

40% of laptops and desktops bought at retail by normal humans are macs

Microsoft says it now has just 14% market share due to phones and tablets

services like online multiplayer, chat, document editing, and soon the operating system itself, require a monthly subscription

the Surface took a 1 billion dollar loss, joining the Kin, Zune and Xbox as massive failures

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

it's all hitting me at once

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

dont forget $2.5b for minecraft and $400m to the nfl for....?

and they still own and run two erp companies

and their absolutely moribund retail network

and they made an ad mocking the apple watch on april fools, a watch they they are probably racing actually to make after apple sold 1m pre orders in a day and the $10,000+ models are all back ordered until at least june

because the first watch they made was such a piece of poo poo that even they keep forgetting about in promotional material

because they are busy making a hologram helmet that you'll wear with a huge battery pack on your chest, to fix a drain

microsoft is far more hosed than any one mind can comprehend

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Pinterest Mom posted:

the YoY decline in Japan is 44% :wth:

Japan is notoriously computer illiterate, to the point that iPhones or iPads would cover any conceivable use case that didn't require IE 6.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Stringent posted:

Japan is notoriously computer illiterate, to the point that iPhones or iPads would cover any conceivable use case that didn't require IE 6.

p sure this extends to at least s korea and possibly se asia entirely

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

:iamafag:

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

cthulhoo posted:

it's solitaire. what can possibly take enough time to work on, enough to have a preview release. are they trying to figure out how to put different ads on each card

so how bad has the Xbox been for them. it kinda seemed like the 360 was doing ok, but then the xbone, and welp

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Deacon of Delicious posted:

it's solitaire. what can possibly take enough time to work on, enough to have a preview release. are they trying to figure out how to put different ads on each card

so how bad has the Xbox been for them. it kinda seemed like the 360 was doing ok, but then the xbone, and welp

"This preview build will not save any user data when the app is closed" what user data could they possibly be saving in loving solitaire?

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

game states, score history, that's about it

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

they serve different ads to people who prefer the robot cardback to the spoopy castle cardback

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

"This preview build will not save any user data when the app is closed" what user data could they possibly be saving in loving solitaire?

lmao if your solitaire game doesnt have cheevo tracking ityool 2015

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Pinterest Mom posted:

they serve different ads to people who prefer the robot cardback to the spoopy castle cardback

metagame metadata on how many times you noticed the card sliding out of the sleeve on the one card backing

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

Kano transformations: 0

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

cthulhoo posted:

lmao if your solitaire game doesnt have cheevo tracking ityool 2015

the gamification of solitaire

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
but it's already a

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

cthulhoo posted:

does it still have a mandatory splash screen that makes the stupid thing take 5+ seconds to load?

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

personally im hoping for a solitaire season pass

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
solitaire 365 subscription

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

cthulhoo posted:

personally im hoping for a solitaire season pass

Sniep posted:

solitaire 365 subscription

That's not a photoshop. That's a real Windows 8 screenshot with the official Microsoft version of Solitaire.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

univbee posted:

That's not a photoshop. That's a real Windows 8 screenshot with the official Microsoft version of Solitaire.

jesus gently caress

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
excepts from Paul-chan's 600 page book:

bear in mind this is ver 0.4 of the field guide - I have no idea if this is the latest version or not, I couldn't find a link anywhere on Thurott.com, the book has its own website and this is the first link, last updated on Aug 24 2014

I mean holy gently caress, whining about not getting 2$ for your completely-useless ebook is bad enough but of course he goes further:

- not having any promotion for it on your own site
- the site where it is actually promoted points to a version that hasn't been updated in 6+ months
- it contains information that can be easily discovered by just turning the phone on and running through the get started process
- presented in the style of an unfinished high school book report

it's not just that the target market is nonexistent, it's just really poorly done - there would be no difference in uptake if he wrote one for iOS/Android

tl/dr: paul is a bad writer and like WP serves no purpose

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I re-wrote the manual and did a poo poo job of it two dollars please

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

aren't most windows phones running in latin america and brazil? why would anyone expect to sell huge amounts of english language manuals for the smartphone of choice for the developing world?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
one of the best parts of unboxing a new phone is to meticulously page through a 600 page manual before you turn it on so there are no accidents

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

one of the best parts of unboxing a new phone is to meticulously page through a 600 page manual before you turn it on so there are no accidents

this is a winpho, so that's pretty accurate

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

you only need a strip of paper for that

"TAKE IT BACK AND GET AN IPHONE"

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

satire is dead

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

that is indeed a HOT take

can't even touch it it's so hot

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

does it still have a mandatory splash screen that makes the stupid thing take 5+ seconds to load?

lol

win 3.1 on 486:
1. click solitaire
2. wait half a second while it loads
3. play solitaire

win 8+ on a machine thousands of times more powerful than a 486:
1. click solitaire
2. wait several seconds for splash screen to load
3. wait several seconds more for the splash screen to go away
4. click no to some poo poo asking you to pay
5. pick what kind of solitaire you want to play
6. finally play solitaire in a full screen mode that makes it hard to transition between solitaire and anything else

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
microsoft is so loving desperate for home users to like them.

or they are desperate to get home users to willingly install and use their services, at least.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

at this point I don't know if they don't understand that attractive design is paramount to consumer adoption or they truly feel that they are designing attractive products

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

they forgot that computers are a tool and windows used to be an environment that mostly stayed out of your way and let you do whatever it was you were doing. now they are trying to make using your operating system ~*an experience*~ by gamifying everything and making users jump through hoops to do simple tasks (including actually launching a game).

at this point I don't know if they don't understand that attractive design is paramount to consumer adoption or they truly feel that they are designing attractive products

i still hope that those title bars are placeholder programmer art because they are seriously linux-desktop-circa-y2k ugly

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

from what I've heard, the latter

I used to know 5 designers at MS and they've all quit in the last 4 years

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

qirex posted:

from what I've heard, the latter

I used to know 5 designers at MS and they've all quit in the last 4 years

did they say why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

L M F A O

• Locked thread