Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cat Terrist posted:

Okay, the onboard ECU's on newer cars have well and truly gone overboard. My VE Commodore (Or Pontiac G8 SS if you have been following my latest thread) had to get it's fuel pump changed. ALSO needed to be replaced was a seperate ECU specifically for the fuel pump. Grand cost? 1200 dollars. The pump is coded to only obey the commands of it's own ECU.

The.

gently caress??????

:catstare: Um, why did they need to do this? Its like the DRM of cars: Batshit bonkers and only screws the consumer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Welp, I got the mortgage. Old house sells within a week or two at most, we're going to go see the new one on Saturday to see how far along it is. I'm excited but too tired to show it so pretend I posted the grey smile I can't remember the code for.

Yay.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Cakefool posted:

Welp, I got the mortgage. Old house sells within a week or two at most, we're going to go see the new one on Saturday to see how far along it is. I'm excited but too tired to show it so pretend I posted the grey smile I can't remember the code for.

Yay.

:geno:

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Girl chat: I like them short and thick, just like my wife. Boobs are awesome but anymore than a handful is just a waste IMO. Like another poster said, I'm not picky, and have never kicked a girl out of bed.

Bra chat: I can undo them one handed with both my left and right hand :smug:

Car chat: fuel pump ECU? WTF. This is part of the reason I'm selling the e39 and driving an e28 instead.

Work is dragging on today, we spent the weekend in a cabin with 6 other friends and had a blast. I was pretty much drunk from 5pm Friday til 11am Sunday. I slept for 9 hours last night (that's a lot for me). At least it's a pay week!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You're a gentleman.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
My father in law gifted me with his year-old craftsman 22" mower! All it needs is an oil change

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Sir Pukesalot posted:

Are anyone down for a AI goon gta crew? Could be fun to make one with the Rank-titles ranging from Sperglord Firecock to IOC or something, IDK.

I'm in. On Steam as T1g4h, also in the AI Group.

Also, i'm a returning player from 360 so i've already got an apartment and a bunch of sweet cars :3:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Cat Terrist posted:

Okay, the onboard ECU's on newer cars have well and truly gone overboard. My VE Commodore (Or Pontiac G8 SS if you have been following my latest thread) had to get it's fuel pump changed. ALSO needed to be replaced was a seperate ECU specifically for the fuel pump. Grand cost? 1200 dollars. The pump is coded to only obey the commands of it's own ECU.

The.

gently caress??????

What in the everliving gently caress?
Why would this ever be viewed as anything but a blatant money grab and/or anti-consumer (no one but the dealer can work on it)?

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

My grass is delightfully green and tomorrow shall be the first mowing day of the year. I can't wait. I love mowing. The smell is excellent and fresh cut grass turns my dogs' paws green.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Ugh. On the hunt for a new job out near my folks and in-laws (Albany NY area). Current work got wind I was looking and no matter how much I say "I'm not looking for another job around here, I like it here" I'm now dead to them. Career fallen off a cliff. The most annoying part is that Albany doesn't have a lot of positions open for what I do, so I've been on the hunt a long time (more than a year) and people don't get that I want to relocate so they're like "Why are you applying, you live in Boston??" Doesn't help that the glut of entry level IT guys means that everyone wants a cheapo contractor and any permanent positions start at half what I'm making now.

Car chat: If I do wind up getting work out there, I'll need my own car. It would be a 2-3k beater for sure and part of me wants to get something interesting and fun to drive since I'll be in it so much and it'll be "mine" but the realistic part of me says to just get a late 90s Civic or Corolla and drive it forever, putting gas, oil, tires and brakes in it until the Sun goes out.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Totally. Late-90s/early-00s Toyotas and Hondas are the best thing ever for cheap reliable motoring. And because millions and millions of them were sold literally everywhere, every shadetree mechanic ever will be able to fix them blindfolded with his hands tied behind his back.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Shampoo posted:

Ugh. On the hunt for a new job out near my folks and in-laws (Albany NY area). Current work got wind I was looking and no matter how much I say "I'm not looking for another job around here, I like it here" I'm now dead to them. Career fallen off a cliff. The most annoying part is that Albany doesn't have a lot of positions open for what I do, so I've been on the hunt a long time (more than a year) and people don't get that I want to relocate so they're like "Why are you applying, you live in Boston??" Doesn't help that the glut of entry level IT guys means that everyone wants a cheapo contractor and any permanent positions start at half what I'm making now.

Car chat: If I do wind up getting work out there, I'll need my own car. It would be a 2-3k beater for sure and part of me wants to get something interesting and fun to drive since I'll be in it so much and it'll be "mine" but the realistic part of me says to just get a late 90s Civic or Corolla and drive it forever, putting gas, oil, tires and brakes in it until the Sun goes out.

Apply with your folks/in-laws address on your resume

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

go3 posted:

Apply with your folks/in-laws address on your resume

That's how all my Careerbuilder/Dice/Monster/Whatever pages are set up. I might just go whole hog and put it on the resume itself. One problem is I don't know anyone out there. I've got no network of friends-of-friends to keep one eye out for open positions. More than one I found an ideal job only to realize that they posted it for a legal requirement and they already had a candidate in mind.

KozmoNaut posted:

Totally. Late-90s/early-00s Toyotas and Hondas are the best thing ever for cheap reliable motoring. And because millions and millions of them were sold literally everywhere, every shadetree mechanic ever will be able to fix them blindfolded with his hands tied behind his back.

Sounds like my life. Boring but reliable.

beep-beep car is go fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 13, 2015

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

New tires :sun:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/tourism/man-killed-when-lamborghini-crashes-at-disney-racing-attraction/2225274

quote:

ORLANDO — A Lamborghini driven by a customer at an exotic-car racing attraction on Walt Disney World property crashed into a guardrail, killing a driving instructor who was in the passenger seat, a spokeswoman said Monday.

:stare:

So much for that attraction I guess.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Hooray for wet basements.
So 2 years ago, after our first winter in the new house, we had some water come in under the front step-region. Dug it out, found the hole in the foundation, slapped some quikcrete in, and its been gold. No issues for the rest of that year, or last year.
This year, more fun.
Back of the house, never had issues. Good Friday, it rains about 3 inches, on top of the like 4 feet of snow still in the yard. Ended up with enough water to thoroughly soak the carpets, some standing water in low spots, but nothing bad. Within 24 hours of it starting, it was done.
Until this Friday. It rained another 3 inches. And was warm. Very warm. So my basement has been doing its best recreation of the end of Titanic. Thankfully, our central vac is wet/dry, so between it and a mop, its not too bad.

Until this morning, when my central vac goes up in smoke. Literally. Poof. I'm not sure what fried, and hopefully its easily repairable, but, yeah. So a $200 trip to Canadian Tire for a good-quality WetDry shopvac with garden hose attachment, plus an adaptor bit to suck the water up.
Works well, except the attachment for the garden hose leaks like a mother-fucker. So I'm going to need to fix that, but its a small thing.

And there is more rain in the forecast.

Its one of those weeks already.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

The NY Auto Show was fun. The new Ford GT looks way better in person.

Whole album: http://imgur.com/a/LwvnU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Shampoo posted:

A compact/midsize Toyota is only boring if you drive it like a boring person.

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012

T1g4h posted:

I'm in. On Steam as T1g4h, also in the AI Group.

Also, i'm a returning player from 360 so i've already got an apartment and a bunch of sweet cars :3:

I'm done, you can rank from SperglordFirecoc(did not fit the k)to Lowtax, but i am more then willing to change ALL of those if there is some better ideas out there.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

A compact/midsize Toyota is only boring if you drive it like a boring person.

Hah. True enough.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

SFH1989 posted:

Whole album: http://imgur.com/a/LwvnU

Who brought all the cop cars?

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
I actually feel decent today, i even did a shorter ride on my bike.

work on the other side was a shitshow. A freaking bus driver was so annoyed that we made him wait to swap a tire with no thread after he popped the bus in to have a code cleared, that he drove the bus of the lifters before they cleared the undercarriage. one of the hydraulic rams for the lifters is bent, and the damages to the bus is pretty solid. three airtanks, dehumidifier, compressor, transmission knocked off alignment with bent mounts and alot of poo poo is knocked loose.

I have now banned all personel not directly employed at the shop, and i have told the operator that they are paying.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Sweet, joined in just now. I'll probably screw around in Online for a few hours tonight as soon as the game actually releases :v:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Shampoo posted:

What is your field/specialty? We have two positions open in NY. PM me or whatever.

SFH1989 posted:

How? It looks loving amazing in pictures IMO.

Ah dealing with vendors is fun. They sent us misconfigured things, somehow it slipped through the cracks for way too drat long. I noticed it early last week and put in a ticket mentioning we needed the correct parts asap. They shipped them Friday which would have been good except they sent them ground hold for pickup...to the site. So now the parts are in some shipping limbo and I can't do anything because I didn't send them. Yay logistics.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Shampoo posted:

What's up disposable/interchangeable IT buddy?
I continue to work for our Indian Outsourcing Overlords because, realistically, I can't find better, thanks to the aforementioned Indian Outsourcing.
I've always thought that if any President wanted to "create American jobs", step #1 would be to end all H1B visas.

Helped a friend do a bunch of rear suspension work on his bone stock '79 RX-7. Spent all day Sunday outside, mostly on the ground. I'm old now, and everything hurts. Couple this with a a storm system moving through North Texas, and I hate moving right now, and can barely stay awake.

fjelltorsk posted:

I actually feel decent today, i even did a shorter ride on my bike.

work on the other side was a shitshow. A freaking bus driver was so annoyed that we made him wait to swap a tire with no thread after he popped the bus in to have a code cleared, that he drove the bus of the lifters before they cleared the undercarriage. one of the hydraulic rams for the lifters is bent, and the damages to the bus is pretty solid. three airtanks, dehumidifier, compressor, transmission knocked off alignment with bent mounts and alot of poo poo is knocked loose.

I have now banned all personel not directly employed at the shop, and i have told the operator that they are paying.

drat right they should pay for the damage. That could have been a disaster.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Joined, even tho I only have it on my xbone.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Day.. 3 (I think? benzos do a number on my memory) of tapering. It's going well. 2 drinks yesterday, only mildly shaky today, mild nausea, mild sweating (compared with always being drenched), and I've already cut down significantly on the amount of Klonopin - I think I had 3mg yesterday, 6mg the day before. I'm thinking by Thursday alcohol will be completely out of the question, and by this time next week I'll be off of the Klonopin. I'm realizing I bought way, way too much of it, but I got it really cheap. Already have a lot more energy, and my blood pressure is back down into somewhat sane levels. Downside is my blood sugar has been all over the drat place (mostly on the low side), though I have glucose tablets if it gets too low.

Beats being stuck full of IVs and missing work, though the process would be a lot quicker in that setting. And a lot more expensive.

Fo3 posted:

You got to take the bad with the good. That poo poo wouldn't fly in Australia, but then again it would be illegal and impossible for you to work on your own car A/C unless licenced in the trade and have another license to buy refrigerant and an account at a refrigerant wholesaler.
The fact that anyone can do wiring and refrigeration there means you can DIY your own stuff, but also that many repairers can be poo poo. While here I can't legally do my own wiring, which also sucks, but in a different way.

You need a license to do anything except car refrigeration here, and only if said car uses R134a. Anything stationary needs a license. He walks in with a huge tank of refrigerant every time, which you need a license to get (technically), so he KNOWS this stuff.

You also need a license to do most line-voltage work inside a home, unless you're a homeowner replacing "like for like". Some areas don't care, the city I'm in will only allow me to replace a light switch or power socket. Not that that stopped me from adding an outlet for the network equipment, but I can remove it whenever we go to sell.

Cage posted:

I was late for work today because I had to preorder GTAV so that it would be pre-loaded when I got home. And because the game took up +50% of my SSD I had to delete a few games before I left. Priorities.

That's why you put your steam folder on a spinning HDD. :colbert:

fjelltorsk posted:

:10bux: says they blame it on your shop.

Darchangel posted:

Helped a friend do a bunch of rear suspension work on his bone stock '79 RX-7. Spent all day Sunday outside, mostly on the ground. I'm old now, and everything hurts. Couple this with a a storm system moving through North Texas, and I hate moving right now, and can barely stay awake.

Apparently I slept through one hell of a storm. Woke up briefly to my phone going apeshit about something related to weather, passed back out, woke up 15 minutes ago.

Though weather.gov shows "Heavy Rain" through tomorrow, so that's a plus.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

some texas redneck posted:

That's why you put your steam folder on a spinning HDD. :colbert:
Steam sure but what about your games? I try to keep my most played games on the SSD and the less played on a mechanical drive.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
There was an application that allowed you to move steam games between drives. Anything I was currently playing I kept on my ssd and moved it off of there when I started something else.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

mariooncrack posted:

There was an application that allowed you to move steam games between drives. Anything I was currently playing I kept on my ssd and moved it off of there when I started something else.
Yeah, Steam mover. Good stuff.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Shampoo posted:

That's how all my Careerbuilder/Dice/Monster/Whatever pages are set up. I might just go whole hog and put it on the resume itself. One problem is I don't know anyone out there. I've got no network of friends-of-friends to keep one eye out for open positions. More than one I found an ideal job only to realize that they posted it for a legal requirement and they already had a candidate in mind.

Because Albany is the area you move FROM.

Also:

IT'S HAPPENING.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

So I found out a house in my neighborhood built by the same builder and not on as good of a lot and without the upgrades we had just sold for $415 grand :psyduck: that is $75 more than we got our place for not just two years ago.

I'm okay with this.

piss boner
May 17, 2003

Boob Christmas. Nice.

Moved halfway across the country a few months ago to take chill job with great benefits. Pretty excited for my wife, she started looking and applying for work before I left. She just finished her final interview for a paid internship with the Navy in her field of study (IT) and they will pay for any post-grad education.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I owe taxes this year :argh:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Cage posted:

Steam sure but what about your games? I try to keep my most played games on the SSD and the less played on a mechanical drive.

I just said gently caress it and bought a pair of 1TB SSDs when I built my computer last year. 1 for OS, normal programs, and VMs and the other for games and more VMs. Anything that I don't want on either of those for whatever reason goes on a mirror of 1TB mech drives or the NAS. Shouldn't need to worry about storage again for a while. Or until I get upgraded to Gbit internet and download everything because why not.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Honestly, if you run your OS on an SSD and your games on a mechanical, you still get the speed boost.

I've got a 1TB just for games and video/audio, a 500GB for Documents and stuff, and a 256GB mSATA SSD for the OS.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Yep, all the libraries for DX/OpenGL etc are on the OS drive.

I went luxury last year, and picked up a R9 290 and a 256GB Crucial SSD just for games because I already had a SSD boot drive :getin:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Re: girls (and people in general, I guess)
I have met girls from every race, height, body shape, nationality, eye color, hair color, whatever that I would gladly date.
Doesn't matter. Not anorexic, not a land whale, have some interesting hobbies (awesome if we have some common ground hobby wise, but don't have to) and a job, be happy with your life and emotionally stable with some semblance of a sense of humor and I'm sold.

I'm strongly of the opinion that there are unhappy people and happy people. Why? I know some pretty unhappy people. Some of them have moved 3-5 times, always blaming their unhappiness on where they are, what they do for work, etc. Somehow they're still unhappy where they live next, too. Why? Because happiness is a state of mind, not a place*. Other people are happy no matter what, or mostly happy.

I don't like boring, emotionally unstable, or unhappy/negative people in my life. At this point I've realized that most people never change, and they certainly can't be made to change, they have to WANT to change, so if someone doesn't fit that bill and isn't family... sorry, bye. I don't need them negative waves in my life, Moriarty.

Self awareness goes a long way too. If you can't make fun of your own faults, you take yourself too seriously.

* I know this sounds pretty hypocritical seeing as I bag on Indiana and Florida a lot, I just happen to know or hear of a lot of wackjobs from those states I guess :v:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Re: girls (and people in general, I guess)
I have met girls from every race, height, body shape, nationality, eye color, hair color, whatever that I would gladly date.
Doesn't matter. Not anorexic, not a land whale, have some interesting hobbies (awesome if we have some common ground hobby wise, but don't have to) and a job, be happy with your life and emotionally stable with some semblance of a sense of humor and I'm sold.

I'm strongly of the opinion that there are unhappy people and happy people. Why? I know some pretty unhappy people. Some of them have moved 3-5 times, always blaming their unhappiness on where they are, what they do for work, etc. Somehow they're still unhappy where they live next, too. Why? Because happiness is a state of mind, not a place*. Other people are happy no matter what, or mostly happy.

I don't like boring, emotionally unstable, or unhappy/negative people in my life. At this point I've realized that most people never change, and they certainly can't be made to change, they have to WANT to change, so if someone doesn't fit that bill and isn't family... sorry, bye. I don't need them negative waves in my life, Moriarty.

Self awareness goes a long way too. If you can't make fun of your own faults, you take yourself too seriously.

* I know this sounds pretty hypocritical seeing as I bag on Indiana and Florida a lot, I just happen to know or hear of a lot of wackjobs from those states I guess :v:

I married my best friend, and it was the best choice I ever made. There were other girls I had dated and considered marrying, but the relationships were more about the romance and sex than friendship. I'm glad I decided to wait, because we've been married 9 years, had our ups and downs, but we always manage to make it through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I got 200 servers (VM hosts, Storage, routers), one entire country (NZ), a DC (Melbourne) and 6 companies to either build (servers), create (DC), replace (NZ) or merge (companies) into our already loving huge network. 8 weeks.

The storage coming online is all SSD, FreeNAS and (Holy gently caress I dont believe it either) NO 10G core switching, despite the petabytes we now have. Management had to cut cost somewhere despite the fact the SAN's well past GB/sec read / write without caching. A full SSD SAN is utterly incredible for speed and with the caches on it's ballistic, seems nuts to bottleneck it on the network.

Altho most of our OS's that can use iSCSI storage will attempt to compress data copying across the network when it knows there's SSD's involved so we're getting some unexpected ridiculous speed anyway. We hit an interesting issue with VMWare and FreeNAS NFS where BOTH checksum file actions and thence they both tangle each other, oh so we have to go iSCSI, we're soo sad about that. Not.

• Locked thread