Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.

smg77 posted:

If you found the shoe lace video helpful this one will blow your mind:

:psyboom:

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
At least with the towel video people didn't pay any or at worst not much money to see it as it was a TedX thing. I still think about towel guy almost every time I wash my hands.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

smg77 posted:

If you found the shoe lace video helpful this one will blow your mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FMBSblpcrc

Guess I don't need any TED talks at all because I do this already :smug:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzGzB-yYKcc

Changing all my passwords immediately to Snowden's suggestion.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Last Week Tonight with John Oliver - margaretthatcheris110%SEXY

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Actually you'll want to separate your passphrase with dashes or spaces - or other characters. Much better entropy.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I do this with most of my passwords and it really has made them a hell of a lot easier to remember (if slower to type in). One thing that really annoys me though is that my BANK of all places has a 12 character MAXIMUM for passwords, and apparently that's fairly common for banks. Literally the one place where I'd want my best, most secure password, and it's one of my worst.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I do this with most of my passwords and it really has made them a hell of a lot easier to remember (if slower to type in). One thing that really annoys me though is that my BANK of all places has a 12 character MAXIMUM for passwords, and apparently that's fairly common for banks. Literally the one place where I'd want my best, most secure password, and it's one of my worst.

Which bank do you use?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Your bank allows you to have something as simple as a password? :stare:

My bank lets me login with BankID or a with a decryption device which there quite frankly is no english name for.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The mandate for "one upper case, one lower case, one number, one symbol" is stupid especially when you have to change it every 30 days because most people just end up writing down their passwords and keep them by their workstation.

Letting people write whole sentences or phrases unrelated to each other but that they can easily remember is 100x more secure. Sometimes I'd just take famous quotes and mess with them a bit like "the spice must flow" becomes "the lice love snow" and I remembered it forever because of Dune reference and how weird it was.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I just use "Correct horse battery staple".

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

withak posted:

I just use "Correct horse battery staple".

Maybe don't share your password with the world, champ :thumbsup:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Xoidanor posted:

Your bank allows you to have something as simple as a password? :stare:

My bank lets me login with BankID or a with a decryption device which there quite frankly is no english name for.

Is your bank in the US? Most banks here seem to have lax security and think adding a two-factor photo instead of actual 2-factor authentication is a good idea.

Say what you will about XKCD Entropy (which is a great idea) but some banks and online vendors (Verizon) don't even allow special characters.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Rarity posted:

Maybe don't share your password with the world, champ :thumbsup:

He's making an XKCD reference.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

He's making an XKCD reference.

Which is why we all look down on him.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Just make your password russianembassy.org. No NSA tech would dare type that on a monitored workstation.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
My bank's idea of 'security' is basically just to do two passwords but with different inputs. One you type standard and all, the second you have to select three letters/numbers from drop down menus, based on the specified character from within whatever you put for the second code. Ie, you select the 1st, 2nd, and 7th characters, whilst next time you might have to pick the 2nd, 5th, and 10th characters.

I have no clue as to the math involved so I'm not sure if that's better or worse protection really.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Astro Nut posted:

My bank's idea of 'security' is basically just to do two passwords but with different inputs. One you type standard and all, the second you have to select three letters/numbers from drop down menus, based on the specified character from within whatever you put for the second code. Ie, you select the 1st, 2nd, and 7th characters, whilst next time you might have to pick the 2nd, 5th, and 10th characters.

I have no clue as to the math involved so I'm not sure if that's better or worse protection really.

That's not bad for a system that doesn't include some kind of fob. You get length and resistance to brute force from the first one, and the second one gives you something a person can't reproduce just by intercepting the login information or looking over your shoulder.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My bank login, ironically enough, is one of the least capable of affecting my finances. They could see my balances and be able to transfer money between my checking and savings account. That's pretty much it.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

bull3964 posted:

My bank login, ironically enough, is one of the least capable of affecting my finances. They could see my balances and be able to transfer money between my checking and savings account. That's pretty much it.

Yeah they'd do more damage with an Amazon account or some such.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Best password is fuckyouchris69

Thurm
Nov 11, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Best password is fuckyouchris69

YouAndIDidARapAmIRight is better.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So I broke down and paid for HBO Now, but how long will it take episodes of Last week tonight to pop up on the service? I know GoT is close to simultaneous, but will I have to wait til Monday morning to watch it?

I'm trying to be a less lovely (less pirating) person here, HBO!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Narcissus1916 posted:

So I broke down and paid for HBO Now, but how long will it take episodes of Last week tonight to pop up on the service? I know GoT is close to simultaneous, but will I have to wait til Monday morning to watch it?

I'm trying to be a less lovely (less pirating) person here, HBO!

They're generally pretty quick to post, but the issue then isn't so much the timing...but the zerg rush of *everyone* accessing the same streams at the same time. I've a feeling the first GoT episode, combined with Silicon Valley, Veep, and LWT all being new and dropping *all in a row* is going to make everyone who bought into HBO Now scream bloody loving murder come Monday. Here's hoping HBO *really* upped their bandwidth in preparation.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They're generally pretty quick to post, but the issue then isn't so much the timing...but the zerg rush of *everyone* accessing the same streams at the same time. I've a feeling the first GoT episode, combined with Silicon Valley, Veep, and LWT all being new and dropping *all in a row* is going to make everyone who bought into HBO Now scream bloody loving murder come Monday. Here's hoping HBO *really* upped their bandwidth in preparation.

Oh man, new season of Veep is happening tomorrow, isn't it? Forget GoT, that's what I need to see.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Michael Bolton Slow Jams the News better become a regular thing.

His voice will always make me melt :allears:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I really want that song to be up on iTunes now.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
the Bolton song was great but whenever they do something like that, especially when you pair it with the kinda long 'unintentional silence' segment earlier in the show, it makes the episodes feel padded to me. Perhaps even more so after the longer episode we got last week. Like there should have been one more actual story discussed that we didn't get.

I think the only solution is to give LWT more time every week :colbert:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Is there any particular reason that the episodes aren't closer to an hour in length?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Raxivace posted:

Is there any particular reason that the episodes aren't closer to an hour in length?

From what I've heard, LWT does *not* have a big staff. Keep in mind TDS has a huge loving staff in comparison and they do a half-hour with commercial breaks and a guest that can take up half their time talking about themselves or what they've come to sell.

We're lucky it's not fifteen minutes.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 13, 2015

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Mo0 posted:

Michael Bolton Slow Jams the News better become a regular thing.

His voice will always make me melt :allears:

My initial reaction was "what the hell is this musical guest thing?". Instead of just aping the Right Said Fred segment from last season, you have loving Michael Bolton slow jamming about making anuses bleed. So good.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Timett posted:

the Bolton song was great but whenever they do something like that, especially when you pair it with the kinda long 'unintentional silence' segment earlier in the show, it makes the episodes feel padded to me. Perhaps even more so after the longer episode we got last week. Like there should have been one more actual story discussed that we didn't get.

I think the only solution is to give LWT more time every week :colbert:

That unintentional silence bit was slaying me. God I love unintentionally captured awkwardness especially when it comes from people who are usually so fake on camera. You can just see the boredom and annoyance, it was glorious.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Nitpicky thing- the overall point about gutting the IRS budget is spot on but tape backup is the standard for long term data storage.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

comes along bort posted:

Nitpicky thing- the overall point about gutting the IRS budget is spot on but tape backup is the standard for long term data storage.

Fair point, but still, I imagine there are at least tape backup systems on the market that aren't as old and decrepit as the ones the IRS seems to be forced to use.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I feel like the whole "don't blame the poor person on the phone because the company sucks" thing would have gone over much better if he'd targeted say - Verizon.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Majorian posted:

Fair point, but still, I imagine there are at least tape backup systems on the market that aren't as old and decrepit as the ones the IRS seems to be forced to use.

Things like this often aren't a lack of money but a lack of will. "It works" is the reason a lot of outdated things are still being used, that goes for the private sector as well.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

IRQ posted:

Things like this often aren't a lack of money but a lack of will. "It works" is the reason a lot of outdated things are still being used, that goes for the private sector as well.

The IRS had a huge modernization initiative fail spectacularly in the late 90s so they are still probably a little gunshy about starting down that path again.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

pentyne posted:

The mandate for "one upper case, one lower case, one number, one symbol" is stupid especially when you have to change it every 30 days because most people just end up writing down their passwords and keep them by their workstation.

That's only an issue if the person has physical access and if they have physical access, your security is already gone.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

smg77 posted:

The IRS had a huge modernization initiative fail spectacularly in the late 90s so they are still probably a little gunshy about starting down that path again.
Hah, modernizing to computers in the late 90s. Not the best timing for that. If only they had waited like 5 years, it would have been much less expensive and there'd have been a lot more assistance on the matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The IRS being left to decay is one of those little sad problems with the government that nobody is ever really eager to fix. It's easy to cast them as some sort of "bad guy" since nobody likes paying money to the government, but then when there isn't proper tax revenue available, things like ludicrous punitive fines have to step up to fill the gap.

• Locked thread