Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone
"Big weed" already exists in the form of cartels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

size1one posted:

"Big weed" already exists in the form of cartels.

Big prohibition too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

KingEup posted:

Big prohibition too.

Obviously we should break up the cartel of prohibition, let all states manage their own (still mandatory) prohibition.

- Ron Paul

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Making a sandwich is incredibly easy and people still flock to Subway.

Precisely.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I dunno about you but generally people dont have full sandwich making utensils and supplies when out on the street.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I dunno about you but generally people dont have full sandwich making utensils and supplies when out on the street.

People don't usually carry flowering plants with them everywhere they go either.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

site posted:

People don't usually carry flowering plants with them everywhere they go either.

Are you really advocating against Home Grown based on a lovely analogy?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lol how the hell did you read that from what I said?

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
Chris Christie: ‘I Will Crack Down’ on Marijuana Legalization if President

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

site posted:

lol how the hell did you read that from what I said?

Why even go for Sandwiches? Say something like Tomatoes or peppers.
Anyways Homegrow weed is mostly out for people living in a flat.
And not everyone has the finest yard soil.

It's going to come down to convenience, as with Tomatoes and other fruiting plants.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Let me guess: he gets a fuckton of money in donations from prison and police unions?

At least there's no chance this guy will be nominated. He's a Yankee stereotype, which most base voters hate.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

It's like he knows he's not going to win the nomination.

Who writes off Colorado a year before the election? That's insane. It might not make a difference in a solid red state like Alaska but taking a hardline stance against an extremely popular policy in an important swing state seems like a really, really bad idea.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 15, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mirthless posted:

Who writes off Colorado a year before the election? That's insane. It might not make a difference in a solid red state like Alaska but taking a hardline stance against an extremely popular policy in an important swing state seems like a really, really bad idea.

It's a pretty awesome way to get a blood red libertarian state like Alaska not to vote for you in the primaries, though!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Like Christie was gonna win anything anywhere lol

NurhacisUrn
Jul 18, 2013

All I can think about is your wife and a horse.
We are working on some SERIOUS SHIT in here.

site posted:

Like Christie was gonna win anything anywhere lol

I am sure New Jersey has a wonderful selection of all you can eat buffets in which he would be a strong contender in any such fine establishment.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
plot twist: Christie is only fat because of extreme munchies from secret weed habit.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Mirthless posted:

What I'm wondering is why he's running at all if he's not taking it seriously, unless he has some sort of deal going where he's siphoning support from whoever else those votes would have been going to.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Chadderbox posted:

What I'm wondering is why he's running at all if he's not taking it seriously, unless he has some sort of deal going where he's siphoning support from whoever else those votes would have been going to.
Before he ran for president, Herman Cain was a successful business man and slightly famous for being black man who said things about black people that Republicans like to hear. He now makes lots of money from book deals, public speaking tours, and using his mailing list to sell boner pills that he wouldn't have made if he hadn't "ran for president".

Newt Gingrich also "ran for president" for about a while. His campaign spent the money from donors very responsibly:

quote:

Meanwhile, the campaign itself was bleeding cash it didn’t have, in part to pay for chartered flights to accommodate Callista’s demand that Newt be home every night.
Yes, his donors paid for him to charter a private jet home to his mansion every single loving night. There's a lot of money in the fake presidential campaign racket.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Gobbeldygook posted:

Yes, his donors paid for him to charter a private jet home to his mansion every single loving night. There's a lot of money in the fake presidential campaign racket.

Holy poo poo.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
State seizes 11-year-old, arrests his mother after he defends medical marijuana during a school presentation

quote:

On March 24, cannabis oil activist Shona Banda‘s life was flipped upside-down after her son was taken from her by the State of Kansas. The ordeal started when police and counselors at her 11-year-old son’s school conducted a drug education class. Her son, who had previously lived in Colorado for a period of time, disagreed with some of the anti-pot points that were being made by school officials. “My son says different things like my ‘Mom calls it cannabis and not marijuana.’ He let them know how educated he was on the facts,” said Banda in an exclusive interview with BenSwann.com. Banda successfully treated her own Crohn’s disease with cannabis oil.

After her son spoke out about medical marijuana, police detained him and launched a raid on Shona Banda’s home.

That'll show 'em.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

I like how even the title of the article says "seized" like the kid is property.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
Warrants need to be something that require months worth of documentation and court appearances to obtain. It is obscene how quickly they can get them for the most minute of things, things that aren't even legal transgressions.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Chalets the Baka posted:

Warrants need to be something that require months worth of documentation and court appearances to obtain.

That sounds like a real stupid idea for warrants in general.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Gobbeldygook posted:

Before he ran for president, Herman Cain was a successful business man and slightly famous for being black man who said things about black people that Republicans like to hear. He now makes lots of money from book deals, public speaking tours, and using his mailing list to sell boner pills that he wouldn't have made if he hadn't "ran for president".

Newt Gingrich also "ran for president" for about a while. His campaign spent the money from donors very responsibly:

I wonder how much money Herman Cain personally pocketed from that one...

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Gobbeldygook posted:

Isn't that getting into false advertising territory? I thought they had to call unproven snake oil like that something like "natural male enhancement" and not make any actual claims about treating ED.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

SedanChair posted:

Isn't that getting into false advertising territory? I thought they had to call unproven snake oil like that something like "natural male enhancement" and not make any actual claims about treating ED.

Heh....snake oil

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SedanChair posted:

Natural male enhancement isn't about ED. It's trying to make people think that the pills will make their dick bigger.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Happy 4/20 guys!

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
Very happy in my case http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-drug-policy-reform-met-20150419-story.html

quote:

The Cook County state's attorney's office says it is changing the way it prosecutes low-level drug offenses, including dismissal of misdemeanor marijuana cases. "If someone is caught with a misdemeanor amount of marijuana, the state's attorney's office will no longer prosecute that case," office spokeswoman Sally Daly said Sunday.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I guess this is old but I just saw it and didn't see it get posted here, it's a video of Obama saying generally good and sane things about the drug war for a whole 10 minutes.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/03/26/barack-obama-talks-drug-reform-with-the-creator-of-the-wire/

Watching that video would give you the misguided impression that Obama actually supports drug law reform in some tangible way. He does say "we need legislation" but I'm confused as to what legislation he's actually referring to since he has never put his weight behind anything that would actually make a tangible difference. I guess it's baby steps though, at least politicians like to talk about the issue a lot but I'm hoping to see that translate into them actually doing things.

EDIT: Nevermind someone did post it earlier, just gonna leave it here anyways since it's pretty interesting and I've never seen Obama speak about that issue in that much detail.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 20, 2015

small hendren
Jan 27, 2011
I think that the more we legalize drugs, the stupider our children is going to get. I think weed should be legal, sure, but heroin? Or crack? Nah, what good would it do for our child?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

small hendren posted:

I think that the more we legalize drugs, the stupider our children is going to get. I think weed should be legal, sure, but heroin? Or crack? Nah, what good would it do for our child?

Or as George Bush said, "Is our children learning?"

:2bong: Happy 420! :2bong:

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast
Michele Leonhart to resign as head of DEA per CNN. Better late than never I guess

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/21/politics/dea-leonhart-resigning-marijuana/index.html

Dattserberg fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 21, 2015

Beaters
Jun 28, 2004

SOWING SEEDS
OF MISERY SINCE 1937
FRYING LIKE A FRITO
IN THE SKILLET
OF HADES
SINCE 1975

Dattserberg posted:

Michele Leonhart to resign as head of DEA per CNN. Better late than never I guess

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/21/politics/dea-leonhart-resigning-marijuana/index.html

Beaten again!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
In making transporting drugs easier news:

quote:

The Supreme Court ruled 6-3 on Tuesday that the Constitution forbids police from holding a suspect without probable cause, even for fewer than 10 extra minutes.

Writing on behalf of the court, Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg declared that the constitutional protections against unreasonable search and seizure prevent police from extending an otherwise completed traffic stop to allow for a drug-sniffing dog to arrive.

“We hold that a police stop exceeding the time needed to handle the matter for which the stop was made violates the Constitution’s shield against unreasonable seizures,” she ruled.

http://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/239513-court-rules-cops-cant-hold-suspects-to-wait-for-dog

Well that's pretty cool!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

I guess it's better than bad news, but it's pretty easy for cops to summon up probable cause out of thin air.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I guess it's better than bad news, but it's pretty easy for cops to summon up probable cause out of thin air.

From Thomas & Alito's dissent, starting on [ur=lhttp://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/14pdf/13-9972_p8k0.pdf]page 23 of the pdf[/url]:

quote:

Rodriguez suffered no Fourth Amendment violation here for an entirely independent reason: Officer Struble had reasonable suspicion to continue to hold him for investigative purposes.
[...]
Officer Struble testified that he first became suspicious that Rodriguez was engaged in criminal activity for a number of reasons. When he approached the vehicle, he smelled an “overwhelming odor of air freshener coming from the vehicle,” which is, in his experience, “a common attempt to conceal an odor that [people] don’t want . . . to be smelled by the police.” App. 20–21. He also observed, upon approaching the front window on the passenger side of the vehicle, that Rodriguez’s passenger, Scott Pollman,appeared nervous. Pollman pulled his hat down low, puffed nervously on a cigarette, and refused to make eye contact with him. The officer thought he was “more nervous than your typical passenger” who “do[esn’t] have anything to worry about because [t]hey didn’t commit a[traffic] violation.” Id., at 34.

Officer Struble’s interactions with the vehicle’s occupants only increased his suspicions. When he asked Rod- riguez why he had driven onto the shoulder, Rodriguez claimed that he swerved to avoid a pothole. But that story could not be squared with Officer Struble’s observation of the vehicle slowly driving off the road before being jerked back onto it. And when Officer Struble asked Pollman where they were coming from and where they were going, Pollman told him they were traveling from Omaha, Nebraska, back to Norfolk, Nebraska, after looking at avehicle they were considering purchasing. Pollman told the officer that he had neither seen pictures of the vehiclenor confirmed title before the trip. As Officer Struble explained, it “seemed suspicious” to him “to drive . . .approximately two hours . . . late at night to see a vehicle sight unseen to possibly buy it,” id., at 26, and to go from Norfolk to Omaha to look at it because “[u]sually people leave Omaha to go get vehicles, not the other way around” due to higher Omaha taxes, id., at 65.

These facts, taken together, easily meet our standard for reasonable suspicion.
Guy was nervous, had an air freshener, swerved on an empty highway, and wasn't doing his best to avoid paying his taxes, so he probably had drugs in his car.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 22, 2015

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Well looks like Missouri's medical cannabis bill is slowly lurching forwards. The only problem with it I have is the provisions to make it palatable to conservatives, especially the text of the bill which states that there may only be 9 cultivation centers and 60 dispensaries for the entire state (why?!).
And it looks like the bill specifically names the diseases that may be treated with cannabis, and allows for the dept. of health to add diseases. So if you have a condition not on the list, tough poo poo you can wait! It also doesn't make insurance pay for any of it either.

Woof Blitzer fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 22, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Equine Don posted:

And it looks like the bill specifically names the diseases that may be treated with cannabis, and allows for the dept. of health to add diseases. So if you have a condition not on the list, tough poo poo you can wait!

To be fair, that's in line with all other prescription medications. Actually, it's more lenient - the department of health can't just decide Ritalin is approved for treating gout or whatever because they feel like it.

That being said, we all know that the goal here isn't to get cannabis treated like other prescription drugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

That's also how DC's was - it was basically "there are 3 places that can sell/grow weed, and you have to have either AIDS or terminal cancer to get it". After like 10 years of being held up by congress, when it was finally unveiled, like 50 people total signed up. Then, a few months back, the city council quietly changed it to essentially "AIDS, terminal cancer, or I dunno, whatever it helps you with". I hadn't heard any numbers on that though - TapTheForwardAssist, do you have any inside info?

• Locked thread