Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

subx posted:

Fixed that for you. Don't be forgetting the horses.

Well, looks like the horses are the babies so its almost a moot point....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Haifisch posted:

So he won't stop smoking away his family's money, and he's resisting being a stay at home dad while his wife earns more money than he can. I don't want to jump to SEVER like so much of the internet does, but they need to have a serious talk about priorities now that they have a baby to provide for.

Well we don't know, maybe it's his house that he inherited prior to the marriage, if so then she'd be a homeless nurse with a bunch of horses.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Nail Rat posted:

Well we don't know, maybe it's his house that he inherited prior to the marriage, if so then she'd be a homeless nurse with a bunch of horses.

I thought of that too, but it still doesn't change the fact that neither of them give enough of a poo poo about their baby to give up anything. Smoking for a variety of reasons, horses, a house that's way over their budget to even maintain and a bunch of other random stuff they could do without.

Also the horses being 3500 a year seems way underbudgeted. I can't imagine each horse being less than $100 a month, and that's super lowballing it. That puts just the horses at 4800 per year.

If these people really exist holy poo poo they are ruining that kids life over some drat pets and a house they can't possibly utilize.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
She seems to have come around on selling the house, but she has no idea why she would ever pay rent to someone and wants to buy another house. She's a big fan of that subreddit!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Buying another place wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if it was cheap. Houses are cheap in the middle of nowhere so for her to live in the middle of nowhere in a 450,000 dollar house, it has to be a loving mansion. Probably with easily 10k worth of stuff that needs to be fixed every year.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Gothmog1065 posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Rainbow-E2-Type-12-Complete/dp/B005R4AB1W

A used one on Amazon. I've seen Rainbow salesmen sell $3500 vacuums.

quote:

1Sucking action for your soul
ByAmazon Customeron December 9, 2014
Color Name: Black
This thing is the bane of my existence. If you do not treat it like another child and lovingly care for it as you would a newborn baby it will be your bête noir. I would gladly trade a year of my life to be free of it but we will be making payments on it until we die. I dream of going all Office Space on this thing with a hammer on a daily basis. It's super hard to clean, the belts wear out all the time, it's heavy and cumbersome to move around, and I hate it with the fiery passion of a thousand suns.

2 comments

Stephanie25 days ago

do you want to sell it?
Stephanie

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

r/personalfinance is a lot like watching Hoarders. Terrifying and mesmerizing at the same time.

I don't know if this one can possibly be real:
- $150,000 in student loans with unknown interest rate (ironically, studying finance)
- Still at least 2 and half years away from a degree
- Earning $1000 a month, but going to quit that job because it's no fun

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Oh god.... noooooo, don't do it Bill!

Bill is my coworker. He is pretty young--about 25. He does a good job at work. He's professional, clean-cut, well-mannered. He's a volunteer firefighter on top of working full-time. He's also enrolled in college classes and has tens of thousands of dollars in student debt, and is planning to acquire more. He reports that he has bad credit.

He just walked into a room where I was sitting with four other coworkers on a break. He said he just found out he can lease the car that he's in love with for just $660 a month. Cue absolute terror from all of us... we immediately tell him there is no scenario in which he should ever lease a car for that much. We are emphatic. We tell him it's insane, that he can't afford it, and that he's going to spend way more than $660 a month on the car when he accounts for insurance and gas. One coworker explains that Bill already owns a car that he bought just three years ago, so why does he need a new one?

"I hate that car," replies Bill.

We explain to Bill that he doesn't even drive to work, he takes the commuter rail, which costs him hundreds of dollars a month for an unlimited pass.

"But I drive to a station that's closer to the city," replies Bill, "and I really love this car."

We insist that the answer is NO. One coworker aptly and bluntly adds that Bill has "sucker" written all over him and that the guys at the dealership see him coming from a mile away.

He leaves, and we all hope that's the end of it.

I just overheard him on the phone talking to the dealership, and he was insisting that he can't pay more than $500 a month.

Did I mention that Bill is an executive assistant? He's not pulling in fat paychecks.

:negative:

edit: I don't know what car he's trying to lease

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

@dril is good

He is a funny bastard.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Senf posted:

She's an RN but insists that she wouldn't be able to find work, even though an RN is one of the most in-demand positions out there right now. If she were to work and have her husband stay home, their take home would likely double and depending on where they live, maybe even triple.

I know it's obviously not easy to find work, but man.

Also what kind of extortionate child care is she putting the kid into if she can only just barely cover the costs of a single 1 year old on an RN's wage.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Nail Rat posted:

Buying another place wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if it was cheap. Houses are cheap in the middle of nowhere so for her to live in the middle of nowhere in a 450,000 dollar house, it has to be a loving mansion. Probably with easily 10k worth of stuff that needs to be fixed every year.

Yeah, it wouldn't be bad in a vacuum except that she can't get a job where she is and her husband has a bad job, so why buy there? If they move, they may not be able to get jobs (they don't seem like the type to apply to jobs first), so they shouldn't buy anyway until they actually get their finances in order and have some stability. It's just funny that she loves this subreddit but has awful consumer habits and can't figure out that paying $15,000 in rent for a year is actually ok. I also do not trust the narrator when she evaluates the cost of apartments in what she considers "scary" and "safe" neighborhoods. I actually don't trust her when it comes to anything.

Car Lease: The BMW 4 series convertible is my "if I fell into a million dollars, I'd buy it" purchase and that can be leased for a flat $600/mo, so yeah, lol. It's actually good that he doesn't drive very far. He's certainly going to get wrangled into some 10k/yr mileage limit.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Just realized that 4 Horse Lady is factoring estimated tax returns into their annual income.

quote:

Take home pay $31,200/year + projected tax refund $5k-$6k = about $36,200

And that still puts them in the red...

Florida Betty posted:

r/personalfinance is a lot like watching Hoarders. Terrifying and mesmerizing at the same time.

- $150,000 in student loans with unknown interest rate (ironically, studying finance)

"Absolutely hates desk jobs," studying finance.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

Florida Betty posted:

how are you 150k in debt and still 2.5 years from a degree?
"A combination of 15 failed / dropped college classes"

"I spent about 4 years pretty much depressed and aimlessly living life in college. I didn't go to college to learn. I went there because it was a way to socialize a little and make my life a little more worth living."

JFC, how come you haven't bought a horse yet

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

paperchaseguy posted:

"I spent about 4 years pretty much depressed and aimlessly living life in college. I didn't go to college to learn. I went there because it was a way to socialize a little and make my life a little more worth living."

Not that uncommon, and it's also understandable. Your are putting a young, immature person into a new social setting and basically gambling tens of thousands of dollars that they won't mess it up.

I've said for a couple of years now that the current system of higher education in the US is completely unsustainable. You just don't make enough after getting a degree to justify the crazy expense. And now that is true even when you stay in state and commute to school.

subx fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 13, 2015

asur
Dec 28, 2012

subx posted:

I've said for a couple of years now that the current system of higher education in the US is completely unsustainable. You just don't make enough after getting a degree to justify the crazy expense. And now that is true even when you stay in state and commute to school.

This isn't even remotely true. BLS data shows that a person with a bachelors earns about $400 a week more than a high school graduate and unemployment is significantly less. Ignoring the unemployment, the gap between earnings of high school grad and someone with a degree is extremely large over the course of a lifetime at approximately $900k or $1.2 million versus $2.1 million in expected earnings. If you got a for profit and spend 200k it's probably not worth it, but the median state school costs $64k total which results in a ridiculously large return. That isn't to say the US higher education system doesn't have massive issues, but ROI isn't one of them if you graduate.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

subx posted:

Not that uncommon, and it's also understandable. Your are putting a young, immature person into a new social setting and basically gambling tens of thousands of dollars that they won't mess it up.

Five years and changing majors four times. I've seen a few people do that and it always seems to take 3-5 years before they realise they should be doing something else. Often there is a lot of pressure from parents on a young person who hasn't found what they want to do.

Poor bastard never figured out that most degrees will lead to a desk job.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

paperchaseguy posted:

It's kind of crazy when the best advice is to literally flee the country and never return.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Uranium 235 posted:

Oh god.... noooooo, don't do it Bill!

Bill is my coworker. He is pretty young--about 25. He does a good job at work. He's professional, clean-cut, well-mannered. He's a volunteer firefighter on top of working full-time. He's also enrolled in college classes and has tens of thousands of dollars in student debt, and is planning to acquire more. He reports that he has bad credit.

He just walked into a room where I was sitting with four other coworkers on a break. He said he just found out he can lease the car that he's in love with for just $660 a month. Cue absolute terror from all of us... we immediately tell him there is no scenario in which he should ever lease a car for that much. We are emphatic. We tell him it's insane, that he can't afford it, and that he's going to spend way more than $660 a month on the car when he accounts for insurance and gas. One coworker explains that Bill already owns a car that he bought just three years ago, so why does he need a new one?

"I hate that car," replies Bill.

We explain to Bill that he doesn't even drive to work, he takes the commuter rail, which costs him hundreds of dollars a month for an unlimited pass.

"But I drive to a station that's closer to the city," replies Bill, "and I really love this car."

We insist that the answer is NO. One coworker aptly and bluntly adds that Bill has "sucker" written all over him and that the guys at the dealership see him coming from a mile away.

He leaves, and we all hope that's the end of it.

I just overheard him on the phone talking to the dealership, and he was insisting that he can't pay more than $500 a month.

Did I mention that Bill is an executive assistant? He's not pulling in fat paychecks.

:negative:

edit: I don't know what car he's trying to lease
Okay, I figured it out. He wanted to get a $40,000 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. After our 'intervention' he called the dealership again, and now he's going to look at a 2012 Grand Cherokee that has sun roof, heated leather seats, navigation, reverse camera, etc. It's only $24,000 so it's more "affordable".

:(

When I talked to him again he was going on about how they're going to buy him out of his current car and how he can just trade-in when this new lease is up... I really hope he doesn't do it.

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 13, 2015

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Uranium 235 posted:

Okay, I figured it out. He wanted to get a $40,000 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. After our 'intervention' he called the dealership again, and now he's going to look at a 2012 Grand Cherokee that has sun roof, heated leather seats, navigation, reverse camera, etc. It's only $24,000 so it's more "affordable".

When I talked to him again he was going on about how they're going to buy him out of his current car and how he can just trade-in when this new lease is up... I really hope he doesn't do it.

loving Bill man. Why is he against doing a less harmful thing like pulling in a 5 year loan on that car?

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Uranium 235 posted:

That's his dream car? A Jeep Grand Cherokee?!?! With an unimpressive trim package? An American SUV? That's his loving dream??!?!

Did anybody point out to him that a brand new one is 40K, but the 3 year old one is under 25K? I'm sure that 2012 has a laughable amount of mileage on it, but dude-- were you really falling over yourself to get something that depreciated $15K in 3 years? That's also a top of the line Laredo at 40K. Not a thing spared. Nothing says bad with money more than "I got every single option on my car from the dealer." He gonna have it all!

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 13, 2015

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Well a jeep is probably the least useful car with the worst mileage you can buy.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Where does Bill live? In the city proper or out in the burbs?

There's a few reasons I bought strictly cheap(ish) used cars when I lived in the city. One look at the damage on my car will tell you why, there's more scratches than paint on the bumpers, dents all over the body from countless instances of people making contact with my (usually) parked car. The peace of mind of not having to worry about the way my car looks should I, say, hit a snowbank and damage the fender (I blame the short yellows of red light camers) is worth more to me than the money I saved buying used.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
College chat in the USA is depressing. I'm envious of people who graduate high school and knew what they wanted to do career wise. I sure didn't. Thankfully I didn't spent $150k figuring that out, and when I went back to school I had A Plan. My sister is graduating next month and she's not at all sure what she wants to do with her degree - she's thinking maybe law school or an MBA... She clearly hasn't thought about her career at all, and she needs a job in just over a month from now... Scary. But in retrospect, I was nearly in the same place at 21 - but I didn't spend 4yrs and 6 figures in school at that point. I hope she figures it out soon! At least my folks won't pay for grad school, so she has to think about it first!

Veskit posted:

loving Bill man. Why is he against doing a less harmful thing like pulling in a 5 year loan on that car?
Cuz then it'll be an 8yo car and he won't want some old POS like that!!

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 14, 2015

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Here's a dumb idiot who lives with his parents and was super resistant to creating a resume and applying for more than one job at a time because he has video games to play, dammit!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3712292

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3713103

Crunk Abortion posted:

About a year ago, I wrecked my previous car (for which I paid cash). I made it until November before I had my money squared away to the point where I could afford to buy a decent car to replace it. The problem is, I'm in the process of rebuilding my credit after a bunch of irresponsibility in my early 20's. I'm in the lower mid 600's now, and I was in the upper 500's then. So I have a really decent car now, financed through my credit union, and I can afford the payments on it just fine.

Problem is, I'm getting hosed on interest.

I'm currently at a whopping 16.19% interest on a loan just over 10k. I set this loan up for a 73 month term that way the monthly payment would be manageable even when cashflow is an issue, as my current job is very seasonal in nature. Right now I'm moving into the busier part of the year, and have more money than usual to play with.

What kind of steps can I take to get this loan to a point where I'm not pissing so much money away on financing? I'm trying to make extra payments to bring the principal down, but it's an uphill battle when I'm getting $6 tacked on every loving day from my lovely interest rate.

What kind of options do I have here? If it's relevant, the car in question is a 2005 model with just north of 100k miles on it.

Crunk Abortion posted:

This is what I was looking for. If I'm not gonna get a better rate elsewhere, then I'll just make extra payments until the thing goes away.

Since people asked, my expenses for the month come to $716.45 all in. Last month, I made $2,634.67, after taxes, not counting the 10% of my net paycheck that automatically gets diverted to a savings account. I posted this thread because I'm trying to make sure I pay this thing down in the most financially beneficial manner I have available to me. I made enough money last month to pay all my bills three times over. I don't need a second job to handle this loan, I just want the money I pay into it to do as much work for me as it can.

I blame AI, I regret nothing. Wrecked an E36, bought an E46. I definitely paid over blue book for it, but them's the breaks when your credit isn't great. It's in fantastic shape, I have the skillset to do the maintenance myself, and I plan on driving this car for a very very long time.
lol, poor AI goons buying expensive to maintain, broken-down, used BMWs with punitive financing and then not insuring.

Also getting enough money squared away to buy a used car is -$10,000 at 16%for a used 2005 BMW with 100k miles. $5,624 borrowing cost.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 14, 2015

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Renegret posted:

There's a few reasons I bought strictly cheap(ish) used cars when I lived in the city. One look at the damage on my car will tell you why, there's more scratches than paint on the bumpers, dents all over the body from countless instances of people making contact with my (usually) parked car. The peace of mind of not having to worry about the way my car looks should I, say, hit a snowbank and damage the fender (I blame the short yellows of red light camers) is worth more to me than the money I saved buying used.

I wish I'd known I was going to be living in the city when I bought my car. The first few scratches were kinda brutal on the psyche. Now I figure it'll just be my 20-year beater, as long as I keep the internals good it's smooth sailing.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Nail Rat posted:

Or they could sell the house and the horses, buy a small condo in a city, and still have a couple hundred grand to put into investments/a very large emergency fund, plus be able to get better-paying work.

Why do something that would immediately turn your life around? Instead, bathe in sadness and a race to see which decay will end you first - chain smoking cancer or financial millstone :)

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

District Selectman posted:

Why do something that would immediately turn your life around? Instead, bathe in sadness and a race to see which decay will end you first - chain smoking cancer or financial millstone :)

The best worst part being, if she does get a nursing job and stays home with the kid, guess how much more smoke the little one will be exposed to when daddy's not away working 50-60 hours/week.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Not a Children posted:

I wish I'd known I was going to be living in the city when I bought my car. The first few scratches were kinda brutal on the psyche. Now I figure it'll just be my 20-year beater, as long as I keep the internals good it's smooth sailing.

I have an '07 that's lived most of it's life in NYC. I just so happened to have a few pictures handy, so gently caress it here ya go.

If even one of those marks showed up if it was new, I'd be flipping my poo poo. I have no idea why there are people crazy enough to buy expensive cars around here. Quite a few of those marks are from idiots playing bumper cars during rush hour so a garage isn't a fantastic solution. My brother bought this car new, and a few months after he bought it, a rogue shopping cart put a nasty scratch in his paint job. Cost a pretty penny to fix that one. A few years ago I bought it from him in cash for KBB value. A week after I bought it, I watched as some old lady was getting out of her car at the bank and a gust of wind caught her door, blowing it open out of her hands and putting a dent in my passenger side door. I just shrugged it off and went about my day.

(Yes I was hyperbolizing when I said it was more scratches than paint, sue me)

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
If there is one nice thing about my truck equity purchase, is that hitches seems to be a magnet for any collisions. Its punched a hole in some ladies mini van, and nearly tore off the front bumper of my nieces car (they hit my parked truck). I get to shrug as it did nothing but leave some of their paint on my hitch.

In my defense, I bought a used Ford Ranger as I had a short commute, and insurance was 800-1000 less than a Civic/Corolla. Also fairly bullet proof with regular oil changes.

My Bike equity purchase, I will admit is fairly indefensible.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
"Hey guys, I'm mired in debt and cut my pay in half to help someone open a restaurant. What do?"

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/32f7km/trapped_by_debt_stressed/ posted:

Currently 32, male, bartender/restauranteur dealing with what I would consider some large debt numbers, and a low income, but I have a plan. That being said, I would like some feedback and please be gentle since you'll probably not be too impressed with #1, and neither am I.

1: Owe $7000 ($400/month payments) for unemployment overpayment to WA. Yes, I'm a fraudster. Practice Reddiquette!! I didn't report all my earnings when I had a part time job and it voided out a claim when I moved to San Diego from Seattle. Missed the small print. Please refrain from calling me a scumbag because I already feel terrible, and I'm dealing with it. Just ready to move on from this.
2: $11,000 Visa @ 16% apr. This is an accumulation of owning an Audi thatI bought myself for college graduation that broke down to the tune of $1000-$5000 every drat time, and a couple bouts of unemployment post college graduation (refer to #1). I typically pay more than the minimum and make payments of $300-$500 a month. $500 when I have extra cash.
3: $5,400 on a motorcycle that will hopefully be sold by the end of this month. $200 a month, hopefully $0 soon. I've been proactive about paying ahead to knock it down so I can just get rid of this drat thing! Suzuki GSX-R1000 I had when I lived in Sandy Eggo last year.
4: $9,000 on my Chevy Tahoe, $275 a month, I typically pay $300 a month. I sold my Audi for a substantial loss to avoid paying another $4000 in maintenance (see # 2). I eventually named my Audi Megatron.
5: $35,000 on student loans. Been postponing these and now it's time to start making payments, $300+ a month.
6: Cell phone: $100/month
7: Car insurance: $150/month
8: Gym: $50/month

Money I have:
1: $200 in my E*Trade account. Not invested into any stocks at the moment.
2: $450 in Wells Fargo Savings account.
3: $400 in checking
4: $1700 invested into Acorns investment app (which is awesome btw).

It's been hard saving this money since I've been on a lower than usual income waiting for this drat restaurant to take off and become profitable.

That being said, I'm single with no kids....and living at home (rent free) since I was asked to help open a new restaurant. My monthly income is $2000 and increasing as business picks up, however it's taken 6 months to get it to $2K, hopefully $2500 by next month depending on how many bartending shifts I pick up instead of managing. I'm used to earning closer to $4K and living on my current income is challenging with all my monthly payments. I've been flirting with the idea of moving to Vegas and working at a resort knowing my income could potentially triple, however I'd acquire the cost of moving, and increased cost of living with bills, rent, etc.

So, my plan if I (decide to stay here) with the new restaurant living with my parents is to continue paying just over what I can while stacking cash in my Acorns investment account. As I continue to pay above the minimums and watch my debt decrease, and my savings increase in my Acorns account, I'll be able to knock out debt in large quantities once the numbers match.

Which account do I start with after I sell my motorcycle?

Should I consider moving to Vegas in hopes of tripling my income or should I stay put in MT with my parents in hopes that I'm not working at a failing restaurant?

Uranium 235 posted:

I'm not sure whether to make fun of him for bad financial choices, or whether to make fun of him for having a dadmobile as his dream car. At least pick something that looks cool if you're going to waste shitloads of money on a car!

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Jeeps are complete crap so the only way someone would want to buy one is due to advertising. It's paying off for selling Jeeps.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Devian666 posted:

Jeeps are complete crap so the only way someone would want to buy one is due to advertising. It's paying off for selling Jeeps.

BFC meets AI here-- what's a reasonable non-truck 4x4 vehicle that can do some off-road? My girlfriend got her semi-yearly bonus and would like to buy a new vehicle. Yay tech! We do camping/hiking and she was digging Jeep Wrangler. She talked about leasing one since she didn't think she'd want it more than 3 years, and I gave her enough information on why leasing (especially that vehicle) is bad. So, now she's looking at buying a used one since we'd just beat up the paint job and maybe a bumper. It's her money. She can buy whatever she likes, but I'd at least like to relay some good information if there's some available.

PS - Random memory from last weekend, but you will never know the level of comedy involved in watching someone plow their Jeep Grand Cherokee into a big puddle for offroad hillbilly adventure only to completely blow their front tire and gently caress their front suspension on a submerged rock. Especially when they shout out that they just bought the thing this week and aren't quite sure if they have a good spare :circlefap:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

A little late, but did someone mention expensive pots?

Edit:

Blinkman987 posted:

BFC meets AI here-- what's a reasonable non-truck 4x4 vehicle that can do some off-road? My girlfriend got her semi-yearly bonus and would like to buy a new vehicle. Yay tech! We do camping/hiking
Mrs. Chiller just sold her '97 Subaru Impreza. That thing has taken us camping all over the drat place. Up and down ski mountains. Many miles of logging roads. We've hauled firewood and kayaks with it. It doesn't have that much clearance, but I've seen it go a lot of places most people wouldn't consider taking a car. Might be worth considering.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 14, 2015

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Haifisch posted:

"Hey guys, I'm mired in debt and cut my pay in half to help someone open a restaurant. What do?"

If you scroll down he was apparently in the Navy, yet somehow racked up $35k in student debt while "working his way through college". GI benefits? :iiam:

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
That man must be a very poor bartender if that is what his financial stats are at currently.... Also, sure, you can make "triple that" in Vegas if you are either at the top of our industry (safe to assume no,) highly certified in wine and become Somm for a massive casino or have the body of a Chippendales dancer/high end stripper with 5+ years of experience at incredibly high volume and don't mind going deaf from huge raves. That dude won't cut it.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Renegret posted:

He lives in Nassau County but drives to the LIRR and then takes a train into Manhattan.

edit: in his defense, he's driving to a station near a hospital where his mom has been hospitalized for months, so it's actually reasonable that he'd do that. That station is on a different LIRR line than the one he lives on. Can't really call him bad with money for that part, I think that's being a good son.

I think he's a good person so I really hope he doesn't get the car. The one he has is perfectly fine, he just doesn't like it. It's a Honda CRV. :zaurg:

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Apr 14, 2015

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Devian666 posted:

Hey that's not true, they're also really good at oiling the driveway. :colbert:

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
I know that truck equity here is :thejoke: but why on Earth does mint ask how much my car is worth every time I log in?

Is it so they can shamelessly offer me car loans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Probably also so they can shamelessly find you tradein deals.

• Locked thread