Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
So I feel like I'm getting lazy playing D, because at the level I'm playing (C1, a league above the LTP graduates in C2) I can easily cordon off the offensive break ins and force turnovers, and aside from a few really good and fast players I can read and handle odd-man rushes. I'm a stay-at-home D that'll back up at the first sign of a turnover so I can keep the play in front of me, letting my D partner take a chance and pinch. I also talk a lot to my team on the ice; more advanced stuff like "my corner", "look up, weak side release", "weave, weave, motion", "give'n'go", etc. I don't know why exactly but I've taken on the unspoken role as the on-ice captain when it comes to directing the guys and gals on the ice, but I'm painstakingly ensuring I'm not being pushy or an rear end in a top hat about it. I'm always out there playing for my goalie, making sure he or she has the best chance and angle to make the save and making sure the dangerous players have the fewest opportunities to shoot on net.

I asked the captain if I could play a couple of games as forward, to learn the other half of the game. Our captain's a nice enough guy but holy hell he can be a frustrating liability out there, not because he fucks up like the rest of us but he fools himself into doing specific "clever" poo poo on D that turns over the puck and gives us a heart attack on the bench, so I was a bit hesitant leaving D for the sake of my goalie's sanity. But so far it's been an enlightening and learning experience. I can appreciate the difficulty of setting up a good cycle in the offensive zone, as well as handling some bad outlet passes from the D. Plus the rush of getting the puck near the net, I'm learning the panic that sets in that makes your shot choices seem questionable. That and the shrinking ice awareness that comes with picking up a loose puck and a guy coming in on your blind side. Despite all this, I'm in position and in motion where I need to be, usually out there when we score, and rarely out there when we're scored on.

A goalie buddy of mine who I played in front of last year subbed for us, but we got trounced 6-1. After the game I chatted a bit with him and he said that while I was doing the right thing out there, he doesn't like me playing as forward, because I make the biggest impact at D stopping the play and directing people where they need to be.

I guess I'm just playing forward to not be as lazy as I am on D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
re: puck in front of the net: you must not fear. Fear is the mind killer

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
There is a set of triplets, two boys and a girl, that play in our private pickup. They make the main bulk of the kids that play. They are all homeschooled, the two boys will not say a word. One of my friends looked one of them in the eye as they were leaving the other night and said good night. Not a single peep. The girl is at least sociable and you can get to smile on the ice. It's really creepy with the boys. And their parents are really talkative so who knows.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Some young guy was absolutely loving every single person on the ice in drop-in one night, wearing a half-rear end QMJHL practice jersey. I was like, "dang he's good, what's he, 17, 18? Who does he play for in the Q?"

Buddy next to me was like, "Nah, he's like 15, I think his Q draft year is coming up."

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

What do you even do.

Also he wasn't even a douche about how good he was. Passed a lot, if some older dude tried to play the body (after getting dangleschooled for 30 minutes) he'd square up and meet them and usually win anyways.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Wonder_Bread posted:

You don't happen to be in the Boston area, do you (guessing from av)? And you don't happen to be talking about Hockeytown USA, are you? Cause holy poo poo, gently caress that place. The thinnest, ruttiest, worst ice I have ever seen. I went to one Saturday night S&P there and vowed to never go back.

Nah I'm in Seattle (and one of like 5 b's fans around here, apparently - the cup win v. vancouver back a few years ago was fun :hawksin: ) but the place I'm referring to over here is up in Shoreline. It's the closest rink to downtown Seattle but wow is it beat up. Their stick night is just super super convenient for me, timing wise. All the other better, farther places have them crazy early when I'm either asleep or at work. Ahh well, practicing on super lovely ice can only help me, right? Right?!?

Pleads posted:

dangleschooled

I will never actually utter this word in mixed company but I'm entirely too amused by it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Duke Chin posted:

Nah I'm in Seattle

Whats the Seattle hockey scene like? My wife and I are moving up there at the end of the year so I would be curious what to expect.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Verman posted:

Whats the Seattle hockey scene like? My wife and I are moving up there at the end of the year so I would be curious what to expect.

Pretty active but spread out just due to the geography of Seattle and its suburbs - I can't really comment as to the level of competition though as I'm still but a lowly scrubbity scrub LTP guy. Tank44 might be the chap to ask about that particular bit. But we have Greater Seattle Hockey League with a poo poo load of teams and divisions, Olympic View Hockey League, and, from googling: Cascade Hockey League whom I've never heard of until just now. :v:

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Duke Chin posted:

Nah I'm in Seattle (and one of like 5 b's fans around here, apparently - the cup win v. vancouver back a few years ago was fun :hawksin: ) but the place I'm referring to over here is up in Shoreline. It's the closest rink to downtown Seattle but wow is it beat up. Their stick night is just super super convenient for me, timing wise. All the other better, farther places have them crazy early when I'm either asleep or at work. Ahh well, practicing on super lovely ice can only help me, right? Right?!?

I am in a similar situation. There is a rink literally <5 minutes from my house that is also significantly cheaper than any other options, but the ice is absolute poo poo and outside of public skating session they only have 1 pickup slot where everyone is way better than me and not that friendly. No stick time is offered whatsoever.

Every other rink is at minimum 45 minutes away and are much pricier, but they've got wayyyyy better facilities and better groups to play with. They're also my only option during the week.

I end up doing a mix of all rinks because they all offer something, I just wish that the closer rink had stick time because it would be worth it even despite being the crappiest ice of the bunch.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 13, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Bootcha posted:

So I feel like I'm getting lazy playing D, because at the level I'm playing (C1, a league above the LTP graduates in C2) I can easily cordon off the offensive break ins and force turnovers, and aside from a few really good and fast players I can read and handle odd-man rushes.

You're in a draft league. Quit being lazy, play well in the season, don't be a weirdo and socialize and move up to a more challenging league imo.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

sellouts posted:

You're in a draft league. Quit being lazy, play well in the season, don't be a weirdo and socialize and move up to a more challenging league imo.

Sellouts, I heard the rink didn't refreeze this weekend after they repainted, confirm/deny?

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Hey Sellouts and anyone else here in SoCal, Jake's Custonm Pro Shop in El Segundo has Graf Ultras on sale for $200. I'm not hip to the Graf product lingo, but the reg price was like 599. Seems like a cool deal and now that I've learned a bit more about skates I kinda wish I had the money to try a pair. (I Like the forward lean angle and the guy working the shop said Grafs have more foot/fit styles)

after looking at the hockeymonkey graf clearance I realize 1/2 of them are supras so who knows http://www.hockeymonkey.com/graf-closeout-iceskates.html still that's a lower price than the ones that were 599 reg so still seems a good deal.

Nitramster fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 13, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Acethomas posted:

Sellouts, I heard the rink didn't refreeze this weekend after they repainted, confirm/deny?

Confirm, skating on Tues night and will report back. I have a game Wednesday as well but indications are that Tuesday will be fine. It was freezing, just slower than they thought.

I knew they'd never get it frozen back in time.

Nitra I don't remember what you skate with but if you're looking for more forward lean you could get your runners profiled by no icing sports and add .5-1.5 degrees in forward pitch.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

sellouts posted:

Confirm, skating on Tues night and will report back. I have a game Wednesday as well but indications are that Tuesday will be fine. It was freezing, just slower than they thought.

I knew they'd never get it frozen back in time.

Nitra I don't remember what you skate with but if you're looking for more forward lean you could get your runners profiled by no icing sports and add .5-1.5 degrees in forward pitch.

I'm on Vapor 5.0's. I was a dummy and wore my normal costco socks when I got 'em and now that they're broken in I know they're a half size too big. I think if I angled my runners I'd end up sliding forward and compromising my heel. I wore athletic socks in them one time and it was hell, now I'm stuck wearing these bulky boot socks.

Cool to know that's an option in the future though.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
Ugh this really sucks, we went to the bar like a minute away from the rink after our game on Sunday night and my friend had his goalie bag stolen while we were inside. They didn't touch his wife's bag which was sitting next to it or anything else in the car. They are waiting on getting the security camera footage from the bar. The car was parked no more than 10 feet from the front door.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Between unfrozen rinks and stolen hockey bags y'all paint a very negative picture of US hockey.

sellouts I may have to reconsider your offer to pay my relocation fees to Santa Monica to join your teams. My agent will be in touch.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
We had someone come in and steal some wallets during one of the league matches. They had the guy on security cameras and I found out tonight he signed in as a player for one of the teams with his real name. :doh:

I had probably one of my best shots ever tonight. A nice one timer slapper. As soon as I hit it, it felt perfect coming off my stick. It was funny because everyone parted as it was coming to the net and the goalie didn't see it till the last second. I could see the look of horror on his face as it was coming at him from the blue line. Two inches higher and I would have been ringing the back bar (goalie was already down for some reason). Figure never going to get another shot like that might as well quit while I'm ahead.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

Oh socializing I've got down, I usually close out the rink. The problem is I'm B2 level as goalie, so I get picked there and I drop to C1 as a skater.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Found a net on a local craigslist that lists new for $150 and was able to pick it up for $50. Seems like the guy used it maybe twice. Super excited to get out to Home Depot and pick up supplies to make a shooting pad. Kind of pissed that it's marketed as "heavy duty," but my first shot that hit the top bar put a giant dent. I assumed "heavy duty" meant "can shoot pucks," but I may have made a huge mistake in that assumption.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

dms666 posted:

Ugh this really sucks, we went to the bar like a minute away from the rink after our game on Sunday night and my friend had his goalie bag stolen while we were inside. They didn't touch his wife's bag which was sitting next to it or anything else in the car. They are waiting on getting the security camera footage from the bar. The car was parked no more than 10 feet from the front door.

Goalie bags are cursed, I swear to god.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

It sucks getting out of the hockey routine. I havent skated since November. I need to kick my rear end back on the ice. Going to make the effort to get to the stick and puck tonight. Of course the weekly pickup game is cancelled this week, but I guess I can get some free skate in this weekend to help with the rust instead.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dumb random question: dudes who rollerblade, is your forward stride different compared to being on ice? You know, like the "get your rear end low, bend the knees, do a full leg extension."

Because I was biking past some random dude rollerblading on the sidewalk today and he had zero knee bend. I figure he isn't really a skater and doesn't know what he's doing, but it got me wondering if the flat bottom of rollerblades forces a different technique than the curved edge of ice skates.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I feel like its mostly the same.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

xzzy posted:

Dumb random question: dudes who rollerblade, is your forward stride different compared to being on ice? You know, like the "get your rear end low, bend the knees, do a full leg extension."

Because I was biking past some random dude rollerblading on the sidewalk today and he had zero knee bend. I figure he isn't really a skater and doesn't know what he's doing, but it got me wondering if the flat bottom of rollerblades forces a different technique than the curved edge of ice skates.

From observation, I want to say a lot of Roller Hockey players play more upright. It might be a mechanic thing based on wheels versus blades. I try to get low when I skate but I've never watched myself skate to know if I'm getting full leg extension.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

xzzy posted:

Nah. I mean, yes to the extent that edges and wheels work differently, but otherwise no, the same fundamentals apply. What you noticed with that skater is probably the same thing you'd notice with 95% of people at a public ice skate. That said, I do think on average roller skaters tend to be a bit straighter because (1) fewer of them have actually been taught/coached and (2) in my experience, because the lack of edges limits the things you can do on your skates, a lot of reasons you really need to get low on ice aren't as important or applicable on roller. It obviously still benefits your stride, but eg: bending your knees and getting low is necessary for a forward to backward transition on ice, but you can't make that type of transition in the same way on roller, and the way you do make it doesn't require as much precision.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Agreed on the public skate factor. The mechanics are basically the same but when I'm not booking it somewhere I'm not using a really heavy knee bend either, on wheels or on ice

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I know I never skate with enough knee bend, but every once in a while I get some dumb idea like "hey if I bought some rollerblades and skated to work every day, I'd be a demon on the ice in no time!" Watching that guy rollerblade got me thinking though that maybe keeping a proper power skating stance for 5.5 miles might be more of a chore than I'm prepared (or capable) to deal with.

Which got me wondering if the fundamentals of rollerblading is measurably different, which is why I posted. :v:

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

xzzy posted:

I know I never skate with enough knee bend, but every once in a while I get some dumb idea like "hey if I bought some rollerblades and skated to work every day, I'd be a demon on the ice in no time!" Watching that guy rollerblade got me thinking though that maybe keeping a proper power skating stance for 5.5 miles might be more of a chore than I'm prepared (or capable) to deal with.

Which got me wondering if the fundamentals of rollerblading is measurably different, which is why I posted. :v:

Is there an outdoor rink by you? You could pick up a cheap ABS stick (or blade if you have two piece stick) and play hockey instead.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

pro tip if you are having trouble skating on ice or getting past a certain point make drat sure you are comfortable with completely changing how you stop before you put on the rollerblades

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's several actually, but more hockey isn't really the goal. Better conditioning so the hockey I do play is better is why I'd consider rollerblades. I live about 5.5 miles from my work and turning that into a daily workout is the best part of summer. Currently I do it on a bike which is really good cardio but it's not exactly the gold standard of off ice training.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Also rollerblades let you lean further back a lot more so if you go back on the ice you'll probably bite it hard on your rear end/back unless you're ready for that.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

xzzy posted:

There's several actually, but more hockey isn't really the goal. Better conditioning so the hockey I do play is better is why I'd consider rollerblades. I live about 5.5 miles from my work and turning that into a daily workout is the best part of summer. Currently I do it on a bike which is really good cardio but it's not exactly the gold standard of off ice training.

You would show up to they office significantly sweatier if you rollerbladed, so there's that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We have showers at the office too. :v:

I sweat like a pig in the summer anyways, just standing around. Humidity blows rear end.

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
Plus all the skateboarders will look upon you with disdain as you skate past in your multi-colored neons and blue tinted sunglasses

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

xzzy posted:

Blasphemy!

5+ miles on rollerblades doesn't sound fun to me if all you are really after is conditioning. A bike is probably much better for that given how much rollerblades suck on anything less than smooth concrete.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

sellouts posted:

pro tip if you are having trouble skating on ice or getting past a certain point make drat sure you are comfortable with completely changing how you stop before you put on the rollerblades

I hosed my knee hardcore the first time I played rollerhockey. I had moved to Florida where there was only once ice rink and no hockey. So I figured I'll play roller. Not thinking, I tried to do a hockey stop and my knee turned almost 180 degrees. I still get pains every now and then and that was in '98.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

comic sans all up in this bitch

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Great job, it already has a crack on the right side of the image.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

sellouts posted:

So, nobody older than 12 plays there, yeah?

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.

sellouts posted:

you can see where someone is tying up a noose to hang themselves over this tragedy

my favorite part is the country mile between harbor and city

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The GoPro may be my best purchase in history. I'm going to put together a montage of my team loving up at the end of the season. It's going to kick off with me scoring an own-goal and the next night me completely boning the Datsyuk Deke (tm) and forgetting the puck last night.