Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Bolow posted:

i would've legit stayed in if i could have done my job and not dealt with the goddamn stupidity that comes with the military

you could probably say this about 99% of mos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I, too, like the military except for the military parts.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

You could go flightline maintenance and work 12s forever, that would really secure your place in this thread

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
GOD I MISS THOSE DAYS

BAND OF BROTHERS

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Prop Wash posted:

You could go flightline maintenance and work 12s forever, that would really secure your place in this thread

And get paid the same as the office drone who works 9-5!

:suicide:

iyaayas01 posted:

hahahahaha I loving hate maintainers

Also I'll kill myself if I ever get orders to 18th MXG

(Actually I'll just separate but still I want nothing to do with that shitshow ever)

The shitshow was all at the AMU-level.

Which reminds me of the commander's call when someone asked the commander why day shift flight chiefs were leaving with day shift crew chiefs still working.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 13, 2015

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Which reminds me of the commander's call when someone asked the commander why day shift flight chiefs were leaving with day shift crew chiefs still working.

Do tell

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Commander said something to the effect of that's a good point and shift leadership had to stay around as long as there was still folks from that shift out on the line.

The drop in 12 hour shifts was drastic.*

*for about a month and then everyone went back to the status quo

Painsaw
Jul 3, 2008

Butts lol
Continuing on the 'I love my MOS but hate the military parts' crap, gently caress I loved being a medic. However as soon as you made E5, you never touched a patient again.

So gently caress all of us that actually like putting bandaids on people and picking shrapnel out of butts I guess.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

being a medic was rad because it was basically a wild card for the army

you could basically hop in to any mission and do poo poo and be actually somewhat useful

i didnt do any sort of leadership crap so my life was pretty rad

Painsaw
Jul 3, 2008

Butts lol
Yep, I've done everything at one point or another. The only thing I never got a chance to do was spend time in a CSH during deployment.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Bolow posted:

being a maintainer is actually pretty cool as an enlisted dude, i would've legit stayed in if i could have done my job and not dealt with the goddamn stupidity that comes with the military

Same but with comm.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Same but with comm.

fill my radio

fix this tacsat

ur an rto now k

clean this room

make a powerpoint for the commander

teach a class on windows XP?

where is my email certificate

why is the internet down

why the gently caress did you forget to fill the generator

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
wheres the crypto?

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

Zeris posted:

This actually caused a down day during OSW.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

In Wardak province, Since late 2008,

an SKL sits, lost in time,

with super-secret official keys,

SPC V.V., 25U, did place it atop the MRAP,

then, sans dummy cord, sans foresight

for rear end-loving he would then purchase

they drove off

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Zeris posted:

they drove off

:catstare:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Zeris posted:

they drove off

:stare:

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Zeris posted:

they drove off

haha goddamn

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

poor boy did a lot of pt in full kit with dummy corded everything

also the post, shitshitshitwhereisit patrols to literally comb desert / moondust

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Zeris posted:

they drove off

Holy gently caress lmfbo

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.

Zeris posted:

they drove off

Somewhere Hajj is sitting there with some trinket, telling his buddies about the dead American he pulled it off of and making up bullshit about what it is because he actually has no idea what it is or how much his Iranian friends would pay for it.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Guys, I'm concerned that we are committing hate crimes :

http://militaryoneclick.com/the-dependapotamus-hunter/

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

well tbf if he was suppose to be some marsoc cool dude, they probably call each other by first name and give each other backrubs instead of standing at parade rest and shouting aye pfc!

We actually had a guy who would pay younger Marines (Dudebro was a SNCO) to rub his back down with oil at night after patrols. We gave them all a pretty nickname too that he absolutely hated. The guy even started carrying around cans of spray paint when he wasn't on patrol so he could paint over it whenever he encountered it written in a porta shitter.

The next year, during the glorious clusterfuck of training that takes places aboard 29 stumps, he took a little wounded PFC under his wing. A PFC who had never made his own bed prior to joining the military. PFC had pissed off his section leader enough to get booted out of the section, where he fell prey to the SNCO, who brought him into his hooch (With his whole section, as well as my section) where they pushed their racks together so they could watch Disney movies into the small hours of the night together.

We made them a champagne flute with the phrase, "TT Boy and Stoy, together forever, 2007" and left it in said SNCO's rack while he was out at chow one day. Hilarity ensued.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
No wonder n4i got so much boypussy from marines.

jeromas
Aug 30, 2007

All full. Is that it? Naw, I don't think so. I think you're too scared to be eatin'.
College Slice

Zeris posted:

fill my radio

fix this tacsat

ur an rto now k

clean this room

make a powerpoint for the commander

teach a class on windows XP?

where is my email certificate

why is the internet down

At my last AT, the medical platoon fried their CAISI because they decided to wire their generator themselves instead of letting the generator mechanic do it. Then they asked us for the next week why they didn't have any internet.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Mike-o posted:

No wonder n4i got so much boypussy from marines.

rename Marine thread to this

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I feel like he told a story at one point about smashing open some marine who insisted that N4I called him "gunneyfaggot" or something like that, c/d?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Icon Of Sin posted:

I feel like he told a story at one point about smashing open some marine who insisted that N4I called him "gunneyfaggot" or something like that, c/d?

Yup. Also poop dick.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

jeromas posted:

At my last AT, the medical platoon fried their CAISI because they decided to wire their generator themselves instead of letting the generator mechanic do it. Then they asked us for the next week why they didn't have any internet.

I always wondered what the gently caress that thing was, I don't even think our maintainer knew how to use it. He always called it the "wifi thing that lets us get internet in the field".

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Lazy Reservist posted:

This actually caused a down day during OSW.

One, you old if you talking about OSW

Two, things haven't changed. We almost lost a plane (okay, a Pred so an RC plane) because we had shore power problems and someone had forgotten to make sure the back-up generator for the GCS had fuel.

Oh, and if we're talking about unqualified personnel wiring generators let me tell you about the time I almost electrocuted a Lt because Army CE wouldn't do their jobs so it was left to a mx Capt and an air field management Lt to figure out how to hook up a MEP-806 to a LAMS door-raising motor.

Hilarity (and fortunately not death) ensued.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I hook up poo poo to generators all the time, but it always frightened me how little training we get on the proper use of them; that and how cavalier people are with 10-40 kW of electricity.

Actual poo poo I've heard: "Just wire those fuckers up to the lugs already! What do you mean you have to turn it off, the wrench is plastic!"

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
One of the few times I got in trouble was when I refused to gently caress with one of those big rear end generators our command would haul out to the field.

If there's one thing I'm absolutely terrified of in the world it's electricity. I even made my father-in-law come help me replace outside light fixtures because I had no loving clue how to touch the wiring and refused to do so until I had someone with me who knew.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
So what I gather from this thread is that the Air Force is bad at working on planes...also SE.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

I hook up poo poo to generators all the time, but it always frightened me how little training we get on the proper use of them; that and how cavalier people are with 10-40 kW of electricity.

Actual poo poo I've heard: "Just wire those fuckers up to the lugs already! What do you mean you have to turn it off, the wrench is plastic!"

Those are the people who need to sit down and watch videos of arc flashes.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Those are the people who need to sit down and watch videos of arc flashes.

They are sure that it won't happen to THEM :smugdog:

Just like those dudes that watch real combat videos and are 100% sure they could do better in response to actually being shot at.

I'm uber cautious around the TQG's we have; I activate every safety we have after turning off the system, including disconnecting the battery, before touching those lugs. I'm also pretty sure I would poo poo my pants if I heard real bullets coming in danger close and would immediately look for the nearest infantryman in a fire fight.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Wasabi the J posted:

and would immediately look for the nearest infantryman in a fire fight.

I drat near pissed myself the first time I got shot at. Scared the poo poo out of me until I realized what was happening. Then my SOF training kicked in and I loving murdered that dude and his entire extended family during a black pajama raid.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
No joke, I actually got a boner in my first firefight shooting the 240.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm also pretty sure I would poo poo my pants if I heard real bullets coming in danger close and would immediately look for the nearest infantryman in a fire fight.

no you wouldn't. it's really not as scary as you think.

e: but if you did freeze up and look towards me in a firefight, i would call you an rear end in a top hat and tell you to start shooting back

IEDs, now that's where you should be afraid. i was also afraid of mortars, probably to an irrational degree. we took sustained indirect once. you can kind of see where mortars are fired from because the piece of poo poo mortars that haj used on us had a flame trail when it launched, and it looked like a lightning strike in reverse from where it was, but they were just enough behind a hill that we couldn't land any rounds on them.

so you see that lightning strike effect and you just wait.

and wait.

and wait.

and wait.

and wait.

and wait.

and wait.

and wait.

and wait.

and wait.

and wait.

and wait.

and wait.

and wait.

and wait.

and wait.

and wait.

and wait.

and wait.

and wait.

then BOOM! then you do it all over again as they are dialing in on your position.

that is way scarier to me than someone chucking bullets my way.

JTAC eventually called in a fixed wing, p sure an A10, and leveled the entire area it was coming from. but before that they managed to drop a mortar within 8 meters of where i was at. eight loving meters.

so yeah, they have to be pretty spot on to take you out, but the waiting game loving sucks.

Cole fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 15, 2015

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Nothing really made me pucker up my rear end in a top hat more than IEDs and snipers. gently caress snipers. Got lucky when I was shot by a couple inches and he hit my mags which exploded instead of ripping through my neck. Every patrol after that I would get behind any cover I could find when we did a halt. gently caress that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Mike-o posted:

Nothing really made me pucker up my rear end in a top hat more than IEDs and snipers. gently caress snipers. Got lucky when I was shot by a couple inches and he hit my mags which exploded instead of ripping through my neck. Every patrol after that I would get behind any cover I could find when we did a halt. gently caress that poo poo.

we never had any sniper fire that we know of, but another battalion on our AO lost a few guys from sniper fire. they loving WRECKED the place they thought it was coming from. and then it happened again a few days later. :smith: