Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You know, it's kind of a shame that federation ships are (were) more or less the same gray color (until the Sovereign class came along). In a post-scarcity society, they surely could have painted their ships. Klingons and Romulans did, but not with much variety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
They could have done it in space camo or something.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Pakled posted:

I love TNG edits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8aEhtJ-sgg

"Captain, take a look at this."

That along with "PicArt", "classical concerto" and "apologies, mister Worf" are all top tier.

:nws: "it's not lupus" :nms: exists in a tier of its own, however. :magical:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

They could have done it in space camo or something.

I was like "Holy poo poo That Looks Awesome! Is it some Trek EU thing?" And then I realized it was Eldar, because I'm a giant nerd. But that's a sweet fuckin' paint job on a ship from a universe where everything's primary purpose is to look badass.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

That along with "PicArt", "classical concerto" and "apologies, mister Worf" are all top tier.

:nws: "it's not lupus" :nms: exists in a tier of its own, however. :magical:

I've always been a big fan of this one too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKWrsZF9mK8 (I'm a sucker for Q's Mariachi band I really am)

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Snak posted:

I was like "Holy poo poo That Looks Awesome! Is it some Trek EU thing?" And then I realized it was Eldar, because I'm a giant nerd. But that's a sweet fuckin' paint job on a ship from a universe where everything's primary purpose is to look badass.

Seriously though, that's the only example of what I can think of when it comes to painted space camo for a starship. Otherwise you just make a cloaking system and then you don't give a gently caress what your starship's paint job looks like because it's loving invisible.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Gonz posted:

Anything harder than the depression of a gentle fingertip and it's the Fouth of July.

It's not even a bug; it's a feature. The company that builds them probably has a rigorous testing phase and tosses out the ones that are defective.

Yeah it's fairly clear that the consoles are designed to explode if anything more intense than Spot's purr hits them. Maybe it's to keep crews on their toes, maybe it's because the wiring is made of C4, or maybe engineers just got tired of every other fucker being retarded?

Also why was Spot not spayed and the other cats not neutered? It's pretty essential for an indoor cat. Them being on a ship or station, sure, they would be good pets that keep Tribbles and voles dead, but did we lose all knowledge of the most basic of cat operations in the Eugenics Wars? :iiam:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

Seriously though, that's the only example of what I can think of when it comes to painted space camo for a starship. Otherwise you just make a cloaking system and then you don't give a gently caress what your starship's paint job looks like because it's loving invisible.

Yeah, camo doesn't make much sense, but you could still make your ship look awesome.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Mister Adequate posted:

Yeah it's fairly clear that the consoles are designed to explode if anything more intense than Spot's purr hits them. Maybe it's to keep crews on their toes, maybe it's because the wiring is made of C4, or maybe engineers just got tired of every other fucker being retarded?

Also why was Spot not spayed and the other cats not neutered? It's pretty essential for an indoor cat. Them being on a ship or station, sure, they would be good pets that keep Tribbles and voles dead, but did we lose all knowledge of the most basic of cat operations in the Eugenics Wars? :iiam:

:smug: In our society, we've evolved beyond such barbaric practices as subjecting animals to the torture of removing their testes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mister Adequate posted:

Computer, deploy Feline Prophylactic Twenty-four. *yowling in the jefferies tube*

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

If we get a new thread/title I'd like to suggest "no life as we know it."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That's why Romulan ships are painted green! :aaa:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Mister Adequate posted:

It's trivial to imagine that Data wanted to be able to observe the full feline life cycle.

SouthLAnd posted:

I watched Master and Commander having not seen the movie since it first came out more than 10 years ago, and the whole time I kept thinking (besides "This is an amazing film"); This is better than the last 4 Trek movies combined.

It pretty much has everything Trek goons love: Two highly skilled captains engaging in a tense cat and mouse ship battle, adventure, and actual chemistry between the crew.

If you haven't seen it, or like me and haven't seen it in more than 10 years, give it a watch.

Yeah, I love Master and Commander. I wish there had been sequel movies. (I also love the Aubrey/Maturin books)

Snak posted:

You know, it's kind of a shame that federation ships are (were) more or less the same gray color (until the Sovereign class came along). In a post-scarcity society, they surely could have painted their ships. Klingons and Romulans did, but not with much variety.

The original paint job on the TMP model was pretty gorgeous, but unfortunately it made actually shooting the model enormously time consuming.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Pakled posted:

I love TNG edits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8aEhtJ-sgg

"Captain, take a look at this."

I love the bit with Geordie flying out of the turbolift.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The original paint job on the TMP model was pretty gorgeous, but unfortunately it made actually shooting the model enormously time consuming.

Incredibly difficult, in fact, and we never saw it properly lit and reflecting, since they had to underlight it heavily in TMP due to the scatter and then they matted-down the paint job progressively on each subsequent movie.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Star Man posted:

I have loved the paint scheme on this build of a mecha from an RPG for an unreasonably long amount of time.

And now I'm thinking back to the garish Confed and Kilrathi paint jobs back in WC1 and 2, and I think I just realized they might have been in those colors so you could see the drat thing to shoot at, given the hardware limitations of the time.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
VOY: "Cold Fire"

KANEDAAAAAAAAA!

KESUOOOOOOOOOO!

Well, this one was alright, I guess. It plays off some continuity, it's a decent premise, and Tuvok proved his crew mates to be idiots twice in the same episode.

Also: the Ocampan creep kind of looked and acted like Billy Bob Thornton. I could look it up, but that would mean Voyager taking more seconds of my life. :effort:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SouthLAnd posted:

I watched Master and Commander having not seen the movie since it first came out more than 10 years ago, and the whole time I kept thinking (besides "This is an amazing film"); This is better than the last 4 Trek movies combined.

It pretty much has everything Trek goons love: Two highly skilled captains engaging in a tense cat and mouse ship battle, adventure, and actual chemistry between the crew.

If you haven't seen it, or like me and haven't seen it in more than 10 years, give it a watch.

Well, didn't Roddenberry tell Stewart that he envisioned Picard as Horatio Hornblower in Space? I think he also mentioned Hornblower as an influence on TOS as well, but I'm not sure.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Snak posted:

edit: well autoplay started a full episode of Voyager. Living Witness, could be worse.

I decided to watch that episode and I thought it was actually pretty good. It probably helps that there was very little of anyone else besides the Doctor, and most of the scenes that did have the other characters were cartoonishly evil so their actual personalities (or lack thereof) didn't have a chance to show.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Wheat Loaf posted:

Well, didn't Roddenberry tell Stewart that he envisioned Picard as Horatio Hornblower in Space? I think he also mentioned Hornblower as an influence on TOS as well, but I'm not sure.

Yeah, Roddenberry was thinking about Hornblower during TOS. There's info here: http://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/48083/is-james-t-kirk-known-to-be-based-on-horatio-hornblower but I remember seeing this in These Are the Voyages as well.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Hornblower movies with Ioan Gruffudd were pretty good on the whole, though the last two (the ones without Jamie Bamber) aren't as strong. Master and Commander was probably better as far as adaptations of Napoleonic maritime adventure stories go.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

VOY: "Maneuvers"

This could have been a good episode about a cat-and-mouse, tactical ship combat in space... if not for the Kazon. These guys are stunningly incompetent. They have the Voyager outnumbered six to one, yet they can't get out of their own way long enough to mount an attack with more than one ship. I get that they're factionalized and that's kind of the point, but gently caress is it hard to take them seriously when they suck so much at everything, even the one thing (combat) they're supposedly good at. They're like when you encounter broken AI in a video game that just can't figure out how to navigate around a certain corner or how doors work. Dude's just running in place up against a closed door, and you can just walk up and execute him with a sidearm.

I'm not even going to get into the "let's warp Chakotay onto the ship from warp" thing. The gently caress? Man, you guy's weren't joking about the :techno: in this series.

The return of Seska was alright up until the thing at the end with her impregnating herself with Chakotay's baby. There are more compelling, less random ways to handle a plot like that. The most obvious thing that comes to mind is that Chakotay would have actually impregnated her when they were loving on Voyager. You know, so that the baby actually means something to Chakotay. But we're talking about Voyager, so instead it gets the "let's jam something totally random and dumb in the last minute" treatment. We're talking about rote soap opera fare here, Voyager. There's no need to overthink this poo poo.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Railing Kill posted:

This could have been a good episode

But we're talking about Voyager, so

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Railing Kill posted:

The return of Seska was alright up until the thing at the end with her impregnating herself with Chakotay's baby. There are more compelling, less random ways to handle a plot like that. The most obvious thing that comes to mind is that Chakotay would have actually impregnated her when they were loving on Voyager. You know, so that the baby actually means something to Chakotay. But we're talking about Voyager, so instead it gets the "let's jam something totally random and dumb in the last minute" treatment. We're talking about rote soap opera fare here, Voyager. There's no need to overthink this poo poo.

The spirit quest Chakotay goes on because of this is godaliendamn hilarious.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Spirit is like "it take two people to make a baby", Chakotay is like " No she jacked my down, I want actually there at the time ", spirit is like " Umm... poo poo I have no idea "

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

Spirit is like "it take two people to make a baby", Chakotay is like " No she jacked my down, I want actually there at the time ", spirit is like " Umm... poo poo I have no idea "

That's literally what happens. Please someone name an episode of any series. The first episode that is named in response to this request will get watched immediately. I'm that bored.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Snak posted:

Please someone name an episode of any series. The first episode that is named in response to this request will get watched immediately. I'm that bored.

Code of Honor

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.

Vagabundo posted:

Code of Honor

You monster!

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Snak posted:

That's literally what happens. Please someone name an episode of any series. The first episode that is named in response to this request will get watched immediately. I'm that bored.

Using this as an excuse to repost the random episode selector:
http://trek.kthxbye.com/

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
:smugjones:

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Snak posted:

The first episode that is named in response to this request will get watched immediately. I'm that bored.

Vagabundo posted:

Code of Honor

Hahaha. You asked for that.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I like that episode. VAK-SEEN!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

That episode is pretty great if you play Caribbean Queen over the fight scene.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Railing Kill posted:

Even as a kid, I remember watching that and thinking "why would she do that? That's kind of putting yourself through a lot just to gently caress with somebody. Wouldn't she rather have a baby with someone she liked?"

Do you think it was because UPN (or whoever) said that they couldn't have characters boning out of wedlock? 'Cause it still comes out of nowhere and is stupid, so it's not like they *should* have been committed to it, but I can kind of see where they were coming from if they were committed to it and then the network told them they would have to do it in a really stupid way.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

betaraywil posted:

Even as a kid, I remember watching that and thinking "why would she do that? That's kind of putting yourself through a lot just to gently caress with somebody. Wouldn't she rather have a baby with someone she liked?"

Do you think it was because UPN (or whoever) said that they couldn't have characters boning out of wedlock? 'Cause it still comes out of nowhere and is stupid, so it's not like they *should* have been committed to it, but I can kind of see where they were coming from if they were committed to it and then the network told them they would have to do it in a really stupid way.

Holy poo poo, really? Well, that would explain it if that's the case, but god drat. TV executives are the only people worse than Voyager's writers.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Well the good news is I passed the gently caress out before checking and seeing that I needed to watch code of honor. I guess I'll watch it today or something...

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

betaraywil posted:

Do you think it was because UPN (or whoever) said that they couldn't have characters boning out of wedlock?

I may be confusing an episode of Enterprise with Voyager, but wasn't there an episode where Harry Kim hosed a girl and got chewed out for it? I just checked Memory Alpha and Tal was her name. If he can gently caress her, why couldn't Chokotay gently caress a former Maquis homie?

VVV Agreed

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 15, 2015

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

e; ^^^ Because one of them is Harry Kim and the other is Chakotay.

The best part of all is at the end of S2 and start of S3 when the babby has been born, the Kazon take the ship, and Seska mentions something to the Doctor offhandedly about seeing Chakotay's face or something.

Doc basically says "The gently caress are you tripping on, this ain't Chakotay's?" and Seska is totally stunned that she was knocked up by Maje Cullah. Like, nothing here makes the least bit of sense, but it's really funny to me.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Where the gently caress did my post about Lon Sudor being a missed opportunity for a main character go? Did I post it in some other thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iraqniphobia
Aug 21, 2003

Snak posted:

Where the gently caress did my post about Lon Sudor being a missed opportunity for a main character go? Did I post it in some other thread?

You posted it in the Mad Max thread.

• Locked thread