Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Peep Show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

peer posted:

If you do go for Spartacus, be aware that the first episode or two are pretty bad and not representative of the quality or style of the rest.

Good to know. I've started the first ep a couple of times and haven't finished it.

I'll probably go for Rome right now and watch Spartacus next.

Yeah I can't think of a funnier show on Netflix. Also, Amazon Prime has Nathan for You which isn't really the same kind of Comedy but I think it's just about the funniest show ever.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

Speaking of violent rear end old timey shows. What's better Spartacus or Rome? I was thinking about starting up one of the two soon.

Rome is a better Serious Show than Spartacus, but Spartacus is amazing for scenery chewing and over-the-top sex & violence.

Also think of the protagonists in Rome as Rosencrantz and Guildenstern of Caesar. Ray Stevenson :swoon:

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Assume ive never read a daredevil book or comic (or seen the cartoon or whatever it was originally), will this make me enjoy the Netflix show more, less, or will it make no difference?

I went in knowing nothing about Daredevil other than he was a blind superhero whose superpower was "not being blind." I loved every episode.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

morestuff posted:

If for whatever reason you haven't watched 30 Rock, that would probably be your best option.

Definitely, especially because Tina Fey was behind it and Kimmy Schmidt.

Not exactly lighthearted, but still really funny.

I'm going to be That Guy and suggest Arrested Development if you haven't seen. Bob's Burgers is also a good choice.

By the way, Bob's Burgers season 4 is pretty good. Now that I've seen Duel, I have to go back and rewatch the Christmas episode.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
No, not lighthearted but it's pacy.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I received an email today from Hulu for a Michael Bay series called The Last Ship. Has anyone here watched it? I know... I know... Michael Bay, but I love Bad Boys 1&2 and Pain and Gain. IMDB says 7.3, but I've seen some 6.x stuff that is better than 8.x-rated shows.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
To this day I am amazed that there's a show based on that book, which I think was out of print for a while because it came out, what, late 70's? Early 80's? It seemed like such a random property to make into your hot new cable thriller.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just wish Hulu would stop trying to convince me to watch Backstrom

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

I'll probably go for Rome right now and watch Spartacus next.

Actually, watch Spartacus first. Historically it occurs earlier, you'll see Julius Caesar as a young fellow. Then you can watch Rome and see the end of his career. Then follow that up with I Claudius and Quo Vadis, and you've done Roman history from the fall of the Republic through the first five emperors.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Sir Nose posted:

Actually, watch Spartacus first. Historically it occurs earlier, you'll see Julius Caesar as a young fellow. Then you can watch Rome and see the end of his career. Then follow that up with I Claudius and Quo Vadis, and you've done Roman history from the fall of the Republic through the first five emperors.

Is I, Claudius streaming anywhere? Would love to finally watch it! The books are fantastic reading.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Rome had Deadwood quality performances and dialogue.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Rome had Deadwood quality performances and dialogue.

Spartacus had Shakespearean quality dialogue. :colbert:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

fliptophead posted:

Is I, Claudius streaming anywhere? Would love to finally watch it! The books are fantastic reading.

I don't think it is. I borrowed the DVDs from my local library.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

fliptophead posted:

It's up on Hulu (Plus, probably); I just watched it for the first time a couple of months ago, and it completely lives up its status.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Chichevache posted:

MY COCK RAGES ON, MY COCK RAGES ON

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Chichevache posted:

JUPITER'S COCK

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Chichevache posted:

I love Rome but Spartacus has some of my favorite characters of any modern film or television. The writing, acting, the screams as they cleave, I just love the show. One of my favorite reveals in the first season was a character's real name because I'm that huge of a history nerd.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I love Rome but Spartacus has some of my favorite characters of any modern film or television. The writing, acting, the screams as they cleave, I just love the show. One of my favorite reveals in the first season was a character's real name because I'm that huge of a history nerd.

Crixus is worth watching the show for on his own.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Crixus is worth watching the show for on his own.

:agreed:

Batiatus is one of the most amazingly conceived and executed characters I have ever watched. Every loving line of his is fantastic and the actor loving kills it.

You can't convince me that the bard wouldn't love this.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also you will get very acquainted with Manu Bennett's penis by the end of the first season, which may make Arrow a little odd for you

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

A lot of ink has been spilled about the Bard's opinion on cock, but alas we are no closer to any definitive answer.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Spartacus is like, borderline Simpsons levels of quotable. Every single line is gold.

seymore
Jan 9, 2012

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

I received an email today from Hulu for a Michael Bay series called The Last Ship. Has anyone here watched it? I know... I know... Michael Bay, but I love Bad Boys 1&2 and Pain and Gain. IMDB says 7.3, but I've seen some 6.x stuff that is better than 8.x-rated shows.

It was a passable time filler. Assuming you did not pay too much attention to details.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I don't think it is. I borrowed the DVDs from my local library.

That's not a bad compromise at least!

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Paper Kaiju posted:

It's up on Hulu (Plus, probably); I just watched it for the first time a couple of months ago, and it completely lives up its status.

Hmm not sure if I used my free month on that yet or not! Time to find out

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Re: Comedy recommendations

I've already seen 30 Rock, but I've been meaning to check out Bob's Burgers and Peep Show. Watched the first episode of Peep Show last night, and it was pretty good.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness is up and sounds really good, it's a docu about Studio Ghibli. Anyone see it?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mysterious frankie posted:

The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness is up and sounds really good, it's a docu about Studio Ghibli. Anyone see it?

It's funnier than I expected. Miyazaki is a crotchety old gently caress and it's great because the movie keeps dipping back into this kind of childlike whimsy thing, which is jarring in a humorous way.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Is this the one where Miyazaki yells at a cat and tells the documentarists that their favorite anime is garbage? If so its a pro click.

Saucy Slit
Jul 27, 2011
Danger5

It's like a live-action Venture Bros. and just as good.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Season 2 of Legit is up. It's ok, helps to be a fan of Jim Jeffries.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mr. stefan posted:

Is this the one where Miyazaki yells at a cat and tells the documentarists that their favorite anime is garbage? If so its a pro click.

Yeah, it's great.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Echoing the love for Spartacus. I turned it on because I needed a show to watch my girlfriend wouldn't like and it looked like fun trash but it ended up being incredibly fun trash and I loved every minute of it

Currently binge watching Daredevil, it's basically Batman Begins only just with the mobsters as badguys & the hero is poor. Seriously, it's literally Marvel's Batman. He won't kill people. He does the growly voice. They keep talking about Hell's Kitchen like it's it's own city/Gotham. He fights in the dark. His parents are dead. He's a ninja. It's pretty solid and the fights are way better than anything Nolan did.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Spartacus actually has a really huge female fanbase because it's basically nothing but hot dudes fighting and yelling at each other

e: lotta gay folks love it too, Agron :swoon:

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 14, 2015

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Did Amazon do something weird to their Prime streaming on PC recently? I fired up a couple movies just now and they look like they're playing at a about 20fps. Nothing on my computer has changed (that I know of). Silverlight and flash are up to date as far as I can tell.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

The Vosgian Beast posted:

What good comedy tv shows are on Netflix? I just finished Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, and I want something else lighthearted I can watch in my spare time.

3rd Rock from the Sun was recently re-added and it holds up very, very well. Even the pilot and first "real" episode are good if you can overlook a couple dumb sitcom cliches and characters being a little too witty and sassy - they figured out each character's voice more as the show went on so it's not just everyone being snarky all the time. Like News Radio and other shows, there's enough bizarre insanity to the characters that it really is good.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
Comedy chat: I love Better of Ted. It's a terribly funny workplace comedy. Too smart for it's own good, so it was cancelled after about 20 episodes.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
On the subject of Amazon Prime from someone who buys like 2 things a year from them: Is there a significant difference between the amount of movie and TV content on Netflix to make it worth having both, or is there so much overlap that it's not worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

JediTalentAgent posted:

On the subject of Amazon Prime from someone who buys like 2 things a year from them: Is there a significant difference between the amount of movie and TV content on Netflix to make it worth having both, or is there so much overlap that it's not worth it?

There's a few things it has that Netflix doesn't, but a whole lot of overlap. It's good for the HBO stuff, and the few other poo poo like Veronica Mars or whatever, other than that I'd say take a free month or two or three and then eh gently caress it.

They have a lot of overlap.