Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Leper Residue posted:

There's a few things it has that Netflix doesn't, but a whole lot of overlap. It's good for the HBO stuff, and the few other poo poo like Veronica Mars or whatever, other than that I'd say take a free month or two or three and then eh gently caress it.

They have a lot of overlap.

Seconding this. If you want to watch some of HBOs older shows it's good for that but if you're not enjoying Amazon Prime for the non-video reasons and have Netflix and/or HBO Go it's probably not worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

JediTalentAgent posted:

On the subject of Amazon Prime from someone who buys like 2 things a year from them: Is there a significant difference between the amount of movie and TV content on Netflix to make it worth having both, or is there so much overlap that it's not worth it?
There is a ton of overlap. I have personally enjoyed more of the Amazon originals than the Netflix originals. For example, Transparent is loving amazing, particularly if you are a fan of Six Feet Under. I also liked Alpha House. The HBO back catalog is a nice thing, though who knows whether that will stick around now that HBO is doing its own streaming service.

The other nice thing is that Amazon has rentable streaming movies as well, so if you cancel Netflix you can put that $8/month toward on-demand first run stuff or back catalog movies. The back catalog of older films on Amazon is pretty excellent.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The price to rent a movie on Amazon is freaking ridiculous.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

JediTalentAgent posted:

On the subject of Amazon Prime from someone who buys like 2 things a year from them: Is there a significant difference between the amount of movie and TV content on Netflix to make it worth having both, or is there so much overlap that it's not worth it?

You can subscribe to the video streaming and not get Amazon prime. I think it's like £6 a month here in the UK.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 14, 2015

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Alterian posted:

The price to rent a movie on Amazon is freaking ridiculous.

What, it's cheaper than the old BlockBuster DVD rental prices. Kids these days :v:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Turambar posted:

Comedy chat: I love Better of Ted. It's a terribly funny workplace comedy. Too smart for it's own good, so it was cancelled after about 20 episodes.

My fiance and I absolutely love this show. Season 2 episode 5, 'the great repression', is probably the funniest 20 minutes of television I have ever seen. The entire episode is absolute gold.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I pretty much just have Amazon for Vikings, I will no doubt cancel it when the current series finishes. But yeah it's not as good as Netflix, in terms of selection, and also the interface.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

LogisticEarth posted:

What, it's cheaper than the old BlockBuster DVD rental prices. Kids these days :v:

New releases are pretty pricey, but most older movies are like $3-4 so who gives a crap.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, it's great.

Awesome, thanks for the recommend.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mysterious frankie posted:

Awesome, thanks for the recommend.

A movie you might know from the million gifs that already exist of it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is The Winds of War worth watching? I'm intimidated by the first "episode" being 148 minutes. I have vague memories of seeing parts of the sequel mini-series War and Remembrance (which is not on Netflix) but it's been too long for me to remember if it would have held up.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

For horror stuff (at least) Amazon has a much bigger selection than Netflix but a whole ton of it is pretty bad. There's the occasional decent thing but it's really hit or miss. And as someone briefly mentioned, the interface is almost actively fighting against you trying to do anything.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
What the hell is "Scrotal Recall" and why did Netflix just email me to suggest it?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Brocktoon posted:

What the hell is "Scrotal Recall" and why did Netflix just email me to suggest it?

It's a British comedy about a man who has to get in touch with previous sexual partners to tell them he's got a sex disease. Channel four made it I think. I didn't watch it. Obviously.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

e: Never mind

Wish that was a reality show. I'd watch that.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
No it's definitely a sitcom, and I think it had decent reviews when it aired here, but the premise made it sound awful so I never bothered with it.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

JediTalentAgent posted:

They have for example, all seasons of: Dead Like Me, NYPD Blue, Veronica Mars, The Sopranos, The Wire, The Shield, Justified, Deadwood, Boardwalk Empire, Rome, Six Feet Under, Workaholics, Inside Amy Schumer, and more. It's enough unique TV that you could watch for a year and never log in to Netflix.

There's a lot of crossover but the real individuality is the TV selection, and a lot of it is multiple season TV that you can't get on Netflix. I have both and I use both a lot. I also buy all my poo poo from Amazon so I use the free shipping a lot. Lately I've been using their "Ship in 5 days instead of 2 and we'll give you MP3 credits" more and more. If you don't need your stuff in a hurry it's like a dollar or two refund on shipping.

It's worth it to me personally, because I don't have cable. So it's like $9 a month for Netflix and $8 for Amazon and still way loving cheaper than cable. I just have to wait a year to watch everything.

I just watched Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing and it was pretty good for Shakespeare. Starring Whedon's all stars, actors from Firefly, Buffy, Avengers, Cabin in the Woods, etc etc etc.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 15, 2015

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
The Babadook got added to Netflix. I didn't really like it but I rented it earlier. Probably worth a free watch.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Daedra posted:

The Babadook got added to Netflix. I didn't really like it but I rented it earlier. Probably worth a free watch.

It's very good.

Ive watched three episodes of the daredevil show and I'm liking it quite a lot so far.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

LloydDobler posted:

I just watched Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing and it was pretty good for Shakespeare. Starring Whedon's all stars, actors from Firefly, Buffy, Avengers, Cabin in the Woods, etc etc etc.

I really disliked Whedon's Much Ado. It's a bland movie that doesn't try anything with its source material. It was shot in only a couple weeks, and it definitely shows, because very little thought went into camera placement, editing, framing, etc. It's just kind of a void of a film that has no reason to exist.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Daedra posted:

Holy poo poo I've been waiting for this to come in the mail. It's got a TON of rave reviews; but it's not so much a horror as a psych thriller, so, don't go expecting to see limb-from-limb ripping by a giant black clawed shadow.

I think.

OH and hey - Danger 5 looks like a live-action Archer type show; heavy 70's swagger.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

if the Babadook isn't a full-on horror movie i don't know what is

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If babadook isn't horror I don't know what horror is.

Edit: haha holy poo poo

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

that movie is terrifying. i finally got around to finishing it and really liked the ending

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Then hells yes thank you. I can't wait. Soon as the brats are asleep.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Is it a good movie to scare the poo poo out of my wife with? She can stand a good horror movie but whenever there's weird rape type poo poo she won't watch it.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Rough Lobster posted:

Is it a good movie to scare the poo poo out of my wife with? She can stand a good horror movie but whenever there's weird rape type poo poo she won't watch it.
No rape stuff

I use imdb so I can watch movies at work http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2321549/parentalguide?ref_=tt_ql_7

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Rough Lobster posted:

Yes It will scare her. No rape scenes.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

stickyfngrdboy posted:

It's very good.

Ive watched three episodes of the daredevil show and I'm liking it quite a lot so far.

I've been slowly going through it and just watched episode 8 which has to easily be the best episode. Not sure how they can beat that.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Brocktoon posted:

The first half of your question has been answered several times, but the second half is because you've configured your email preferences incorrectly. At the very least you'll want to turn off "Now on Netflix" and "Netflix Offers".

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I really disliked Whedon's Much Ado. It's a bland movie that doesn't try anything with its source material. It was shot in only a couple weeks, and it definitely shows, because very little thought went into camera placement, editing, framing, etc. It's just kind of a void of a film that has no reason to exist.

Acker and Denisof are reason enough for me. They're great (and this is from someone who thinks Emma Thompson in Branagh's Much Ado is one of the great film performances.)

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Check out Is the Man Who Is Tall Happy? if you want to hear Michel Gondry talk over and misunderstand Noam Chomsky.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

Check out Is the Man Who Is Tall Happy? if you want to hear Michel Gondry talk over and misunderstand Noam Chomsky.

jesus

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Anonymous Robot posted:

I'm tall and I am not happy. Now no one has to bother watching this.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Anonymous Robot posted:

I watched it and got the impression that Chomsky had more trouble trying to understand the Gondry's weak English.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Also the fact that he ended up asking Chomsky for relationship advice felt so painfully inevitable.

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

:rolleyes:
Anyone seen Scrotal Recall? I saw the title and immediately thought that there was some bug putting April Fool's titles on my queue two weeks late. It sounds like it could be a funny little Joe Swanberg-meets-Peep Show sort of deal, but I'm too afraid that it's going to be awful to even give an episode a chance.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Are there any good documentaries on Amazon or Netflix on creativity and/or creative people. I'm trying to stay productive with my own pursuits, and watching documentaries about others really helps fuel my work ethic.

A few examples:

Beauty is Embarrassing
The Devil & Daniel Johnston
Jiro Dreams of Sushi
Jack Kerouac: King of the Beats
Gonzo
Bukowski: Born Into This
The Scream Factory
The American Scream
Birth of the Living Dead
Gigantic: A Tale of Two Johns
Greenwich Village: Music that Defined a Generation
No Direction Home
Exit Through The Gift Shop

I'd prefer a concentration on an individual, and their medium doesn't have to be specific, just something about creativity and the act of creating.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Cutie and the Boxer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Franchescanado posted:

Are there any good documentaries on Amazon or Netflix on creativity and/or creative people. I'm trying to stay productive with my own pursuits, and watching documentaries about others really helps fuel my work ethic.

A few examples:

Beauty is Embarrassing
The Devil & Daniel Johnston
Jiro Dreams of Sushi
Jack Kerouac: King of the Beats
Gonzo
Bukowski: Born Into This
The Scream Factory
The American Scream
Birth of the Living Dead
Gigantic: A Tale of Two Johns
Greenwich Village: Music that Defined a Generation
No Direction Home
Exit Through The Gift Shop

I'd prefer a concentration on an individual, and their medium doesn't have to be specific, just something about creativity and the act of creating.

Knuckle and Senna both focus heavily on artists and how they practice their craft.

Edit
Whaddya know, they finally took both of those down.