Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
That Verge spikes bracelet dude got into a Twitter spat with an ex Apple exec: http://gawker.com/adult-website-editor-throws-twitter-tantrum-over-his-br-1697459743

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!

monkeu posted:

That Verge spikes bracelet dude got into a Twitter spat with an ex Apple exec: http://gawker.com/adult-website-editor-throws-twitter-tantrum-over-his-br-1697459743

Not only did he write The most pompous less readable review he is also an rear end. Nice.

E. His choice of accessories is his own. My opinion on it regardless. Acting like an emo teen on the other hand...

just_a_guy fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 13, 2015

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

A guy I work with ordered his sport black watch at 12:02 as soon as the app started working and got the April 24th date.

I ordered my sport black at 12:04 and got a May 13th date.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

MarcusSA posted:

A guy I work with ordered his sport black watch at 12:02 as soon as the app started working and got the April 24th date.

The Sport Space Gray with the black band is pretty much the aspie nerd default order so no surprise there.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

gret posted:

The Sport Space Gray with the black band is pretty much the aspie nerd default order so no surprise there.

Probably among even the non-aspie nerds. You either are roughly doubling the price to get a nicer band and stainless steel for a gen 1 not-completely-revolutionary product or you choose between bright white, bright blue, neon green, bright pink, or black.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

MarcusSA posted:

A bunch of them, including all the link bracelets, were 4-6 weeks out of the gate.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

monkeu posted:

So I like The Verge and I think Nilay is cool and all. But BeOS was awesome and so Jean-Louis Gasse wins this round by default.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

zen death robot posted:

Tim didn't read that extremely long email

Haha, this is the best post in his other thread:

quote:

Yeah they definitely read those emails. I wrote Steve Jobs a lengthy email back in 2006 about a bad experience I had with a Macbook Pro I'd bought and I received a call from an executive assistant the next day and then later that night a phone call from Apple's lead Creative Director at the time. He said that Steve forwarded my email to him and told him to hire me. I went through a full interview process but declined the job because I wasn't sure I'd enjoy working with him. But he definitely read it and passed it on.

That's what I like about Apple - they do care.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

monkeu posted:

He had to wear that cuff in the shot. He was going to a Green Day show after filming the review.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Wake me up when April ends.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Your watch could if the taps were stronger.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

rear end Catchcum posted:

Your watch could if the taps were stronger.

You mean if the battery lasted more than a day so we could sleep with it on. :colbert:

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Based on a poll of 9k buyers, 2/3 of watch orders were for the Sport which doesn't surprise me that much, but people also went hard for the grey/black band watch. Apparently neon-colored accessories still belong in the 80s; who knew?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
It is interesting that it said 43% of people buying the new MacBook also bought an Apple Watch to go along with it. That is quite the add-on rate!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Edit nevermind

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

fordan posted:

Based on a poll of 9k buyers, 2/3 of watch orders were for the Sport which doesn't surprise me that much, but people also went hard for the grey/black band watch. Apparently neon-colored accessories still belong in the 80s; who knew?

I will purchase and love you, green band. :unsmith: Because I have horrendous taste.

Got to try on the one I preordered yesterday (Milanese 38mm) and this thing is nicer than I expected it to be. The sport bands are way comfier than I expected too, and the 38mm a nice size on my tiny wrists. :3:

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Curious about what people who have been in to a store think of the display quality, given that one dude's post on Medium about it.

https://medium.com/@flyosity/inconvenient-truths-about-the-apple-watch-11bafa44551b

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Piquai Souban posted:

Curious about what people who have been in to a store think of the display quality, given that one dude's post on Medium about it.

https://medium.com/@flyosity/inconvenient-truths-about-the-apple-watch-11bafa44551b

It looks great. The screen is small and sits 2 feet away from your eyes.

e: Although i will say that it feels like it has some sort of polarizer coating or something that makes it not photograph very well.

shodanjr_gr fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 14, 2015

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

fordan posted:

It may not be the band color that's popular so much as the watch color. The "space grey" or whatever Sport is only available with the black band.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

fordan posted:

Surprised to see the Milanese loop is as popular as it is, even though they hyped it a lot I didn't see that many going for it.

Although I did.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Piquai Souban posted:

I took a look at the displays at the [store location] store. The screen looks great to me, nothing like the photo at the end of that link. Super crisp and sharp I thought, v nice.

I did notice the perfect geometry of the leather band though, and that perfectly round pin hole did stand out as suspiciously perfect. I was excited for the milanese but it looked a little too thin in the flesh (thickness not width). The link looked nicer than I expected though I it overwhelms the watch itself which is indeed more petite than in my mind.

Overall "pretty but bland" though I think Apple's design savvy was lost after the original iPod click wheel so ymmv.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I went to the Apple Store to try on the sport and regular watch (I preordered space gray sport already).

The regular watch is noticeably heavier. For that reason alone I'm glad I got the sport.

The sport bands are really, surprisingly nice. Looks wise I guess will always be debated, but they fit well.

The watch felt a bit blocky on my wrist. Not sure if that was me overthinking it or not.

And finally: the watch itself looked fine, and the screen is awesome. The tap notifications are really different than pebble but I guess I'll get used to them.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

fordan posted:

The market of people who would buy a product with a neon blue/green/pink band are probably not among the market of people who would early-adopt a first-gen smartwatch. Teenage girls are typically not the type of people who wait in line for new iPhones either (it's all nerds and resellers)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

The market of people who would buy a product with a neon blue/green/pink band are probably not among the market of people who would early-adopt a first-gen smartwatch. Teenage girls are typically not the type of people who wait in line for new iPhones either (it's all nerds and resellers)

Eh, those gaudy colors are pretty typical for women's sport watches (and women's workout clothes.)

I'm more surprised they didn't have some solid men's colors, like red or blue, to go with the black.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/14/teen-interest-in-apple-watch-wanes/

If they only knew the cheating possibilities with this watch. 1 tap = A, 2 taps = B. Come on teens.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

gohmak posted:

If they only knew the cheating possibilities with this watch. 1 tap = A, 2 taps = B. Come on teens.

Lol if you think schools allow kids to wear smartwatches during class. You aren't allowed to even take your phone out in most places

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

It's probably because most teenagers don't have any money. If they want one they're probably going to have to wait until their birthday or Christmas. At least that's how it was for me growing up.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Haggins posted:

It's probably because most teenagers don't have any money. If they want one they're probably going to have to wait until their birthday or Christmas. At least that's how it was for me growing up.

Now you just wait for your Minecraft let's play youtube cheque.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

gohmak posted:

I was thinking that the taptic engine would be a great tool for cheating at Vegas table games.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think you have to actually play back the tap message manually. It's not like you just get taps from someone else.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

Note that the poll appears to be based on Slice's user base, and hell if I know if they have a representative demographic there. AFAIK their thing is auto package tracking by giving them access to your email...so I guess the people that are willing to do that are all about the gray?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Try watching the Apple Watch Siri tutorial on your iPhone while it is charging.

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Normal consumer logic doesn't apply when you get into luxury goods.

You're trying to rationalize the same behavior of buying a Ferrari. At some point you just have enough money that you don't think about purchases and just say "eh gently caress it."

Yo im a time traveler from 42 pages ago just here to let u know you youre a fucken dork for comparing a dumbass ithing to a ferrari

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

roymorrison posted:

Yo im a time traveler from 42 pages ago just here to let u know you youre a fucken dork for comparing a dumbass ithing to a ferrari
I argue that both a Ferrari and Apple Watch Edition are Veblen goods, so I believe the :iiaca: is appropriate in this instance. :gb2gbs:

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I argue that both a Ferrari and Apple Watch Edition are Veblen goods, so I believe the :iiaca: is appropriate in this instance. :gb2gbs:

Why wouldnt u make that link a goatse wouldve been a good burn 🔥

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Roy, calm down. Your watch will likely ship before the estimated date.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Got a try on session yesterday, since I wandered past it at a quiet time. I'm extremely pleased how well the watch I ordered fit (42mm black sport). The sport band material is extremely comfortable, it's incredibly smooth and soft, like silky skin. The rubbery surface gripped to my wrist well enough that I could wear it at a looser fit, too, without it moving around, which also helps the effect.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

chaosbreather posted:

Got a try on session yesterday, since I wandered past it at a quiet time. I'm extremely pleased how well the watch I ordered fit (42mm black sport). The sport band material is extremely comfortable, it's incredibly smooth and soft, like silky skin. The rubbery surface gripped to my wrist well enough that I could wear it at a looser fit, too, without it moving around, which also helps the effect.

Do you think if there was a small cut on the side it would become undone?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Tab8715 posted:

Do you think if there was a small cut on the side it would become undone?

Nah it feels very strong and the bands are surprisingly thick. Just shy of 'chunky'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I bought the MetaWatch on a 15$ Meh sale. It's pretty neat so far. And I wanted to have a watch anyway, so this works. Hope you all enjoyed this post. :)

• Locked thread