Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

The Wii U default stage selection is so bad with the gimmicky bullshit that me and my friends only choose from like 5 stages. It's almost like the dev team wanted to make a platforming game so badly but there was no adventure mode, so they decided to make it up to the players by throwing in scrapped adventure mode mechanics into the stages. This is the only thing besides no adventure mode that I actually miss from previous Smash games.

I love platforming, and I love Smashing, but not both at once. Even in super casual party mode style play it gets loving old when you're KOed by the stage or some random NPC for the 12th time and neither friend has the satisfaction of saying they beat each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I feel like they designed a bunch of stages and then decided they needed to put the smaller, simpler ones on the 3DS for visibility and hardware reasons, so then they put all the crazy huge and experimental ones on the Wii U. And those are cool occasionally but also overwhelming and gimmicky as hell. I honestly think the stage selection on the Wii U is the worst in Smash history, when looked at as a whole.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

I feel like they designed a bunch of stages and then decided they needed to put the smaller, simpler ones on the 3DS for visibility and hardware reasons, so then they put all the crazy huge and experimental ones on the Wii U. And those are cool occasionally but also overwhelming and gimmicky as hell. I honestly think the stage selection on the Wii U is the worst in Smash history, when looked at as a whole.
Smash 4 is my favorite in the series, especially with Nintendo's continuing support with balance patches, but the level and item selection is a mess. Items are hugely disruptive with a ton of Pokeballs and Assist Trophies that completely take over the battle. It's the first time I've found the game more fun without items.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
welcome to the club, you're about 2 games late

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

Smash 4 is my favorite in the series, especially with Nintendo's continuing support with balance patches, but the level and item selection is a mess. Items are hugely disruptive with a ton of Pokeballs and Assist Trophies that completely take over the battle. It's the first time I've found the game more fun without items.

Holy goddamn crap the pokeballs and assist trophies. The worst part of those is how inconsistently effective they are. They can win you the match or do literally nothing.

I feel like the simplest way to at least fix pokeballs would be to only have legendary pokemon appear out of the master balls and don't make any joke ones like Mew. At the end of a stock match last week where it was down to 2 of my friends, the one clearly in the lead got hit with a legendary from a regular pokeball; he had tried to run away but it teleported over to him, knocked him into the sky and did like a 70% damage combo on him. Earlier in that same match he had thrown a master ball and Mew popped out of it doing squat for him. It feels pretty lovely to have luck so heavily against you.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
luck is a skill - sakurai

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

NTT posted:

luck is a skill - sakurai

He's correct. Note, the countless RPGs where you can increase your luck by getting stronger + leveling up.....

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Items have always been obnoxious except for maybe in Smash 64.

On the bright side this game appears to both be receiving continuing post launch game support and DLCs, so all of the problems could theoretically be solved or ignored (by getting turned off). It's a much smaller gripe than something built into the core of the game like Brawl's sluggish mechanics.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
There are so many stages that would be perfectly fine if they just changed like one variable about it.

Like, having the Spirit Train always be centered onscreen like I mentioned earlier. But on the Wii U, stuff like...why does Jungle Hijinx need to take away one of the platforms every so often? Why isn't the gimmick with the two planes good enough? Why does Mushroom Kingdom U need Nabbit? Why does Orbital Gate Assault need to transition with giant exploding missiles that are practically guaranteed to kill someone?

And of course there's all the arguments for how much better Wily Castle and Pyrosphere would be without the bosses, or at least have a toggle switch for it.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Because it is fun

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Guy A. Person posted:

Holy goddamn crap the pokeballs and assist trophies. The worst part of those is how inconsistently effective they are. They can win you the match or do literally nothing.

I feel like the simplest way to at least fix pokeballs would be to only have legendary pokemon appear out of the master balls and don't make any joke ones like Mew. At the end of a stock match last week where it was down to 2 of my friends, the one clearly in the lead got hit with a legendary from a regular pokeball; he had tried to run away but it teleported over to him, knocked him into the sky and did like a 70% damage combo on him. Earlier in that same match he had thrown a master ball and Mew popped out of it doing squat for him. It feels pretty lovely to have luck so heavily against you.

So, when it happened, did you laugh about it, or did you immediately post your terrible experience on online forums?

I'm beginning to see two very different sorts of people here.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I'd like it if you could toggle Flying Man, or make him show up less, or making him hilariously ineffective like he was in the original game. I like the 3ds stages otherwise.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Ilustforponydeath posted:

So, when it happened, did you laugh about it, or did you immediately post your terrible experience on online forums?

It's not that funny though outside of making a joke at the game's expense, which isn't commendable on the game's part. Like, imagine if you died thanks to tripping in Brawl. "Man this game mechanic is so stupid hahaha."

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

It's more of a limit on how much is too much. You don't have to be "Final Destination No Items Fox Only" to not want the stage/items loving with you every 30 seconds. I like how 64's items were; Pokeballs could help but truly powerful ones were extremely rare, stage gimmicks mattered but didn't dominate the gameplay, some items dropped that were legitimately exciting and rewarded timing like the 64 incarnation of the home run bat.

These days a gimmicky stage with items on turns into a neverending deluge of pixel vomit where you can't tell what the gently caress is going on.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also Final Destination has too much going on in the background and I find it obnoxious.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also Final Destination has too much going on in the background and I find it obnoxious.

It is a bit busy for the stage that is supposed to exist as the basic "here's a platform, go kill each other" but I don't mind. Kind of reminds me of a nightclub or something where they have a giant screen on with trippy poo poo in the background

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

funnily enough omega final destination doesn't have that stuff

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Pilotwings is my favorite stage.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Reiley posted:

Pilotwings is my favorite stage.

No trolling in the Smash thread please.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Cake Attack posted:

funnily enough omega final destination doesn't have that stuff

Not even the obnoxiously blinding sunburst?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Uhhh, well I said in plain English that it was a week ago, so not really immediate. Also that it wasn't my experience but my friend's. I have no problem laughing at my friends and I totally did, but I understood his frustration. He didn't post about it on online forums either, he was just mildly annoyed. I only really posted because it came up in conversation and I had a directly relevant thing to say.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Aston posted:

No trolling in the Smash thread please.

It throws off everyone's projectile game but mine :twisted: plus you ride on a airplane, wheee

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Reiley posted:

It throws off everyone's projectile game but mine :twisted: plus you ride on a airplane, wheee

Captain Falcon's ultimate projectile, the foot, is coming at you.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

you're a massive baby.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

Captain Falcon's ultimate projectile, the foot, is coming at you.

There's just no hiding from de feet, for me.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Golden Goat posted:

you're a massive baby.

lol really? Man, okay I guess. I play on all stages with items on, I was just relating a wacky experience I saw happen to one of my friends, and how I can see that being frustrating.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Cuckoo posted:

Yeah I can't figure out how people want K. Rool so bad over any other Donkey Kong character. Dixie, Cranky, any of the Kongs introduced in 64, even loving Kiddy Kong had more personality and a better-fitting moveset than K. Rool. Also whoopee, another fatass heavy character that would never see the light of day competitively.

K Rool can do a lot of poo poo, he has his crown boomerang, his blunderbuss that shoots a ton of poo poo, he has a pounce jump attack, he can do some boxing, he has a helipack...

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

To me, the issue with items is not randomness-related but power-related. I think most items should only be marginally preferable to your regular attacks, and only a couple should be race-to-get-this things that dominate the match until they're used up. Unfortunately the series has gradually moved away from that approach.

Pokeballs should remain one of the things you race to get, and the results should be varied and funny. Do not complain about pokeballs, they are good.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Screw Snake, if MGS gets a new representative, this is who I want:

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

It's not right that our friends, the pokemon, must be trapped in those pokeballs. They must be freed, one and all, and the tyranny of man's cruel design must finally be brought to an end.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
I turn off the items that are pretty much instant kills like the gust jar, bombs, the club, the hammers, the star...but I keep assists, pokeballs, and smash balls because I still like seeing other characters and their super special awesome attacks. This method has led to me and friends having lots of fun with minimal complaints when we don't feel like doing tryhard competitive 1v1s.

also, protip, turning off containers takes care of the issue of "I was hoping this capsule had a neat item but instead it just exploded and killed them, lame."

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

mabels big day posted:

He's correct. Note, the countless RPGs where you can increase your luck by getting stronger + leveling up.....

i was always more fond of mario & luigi's 'stache stat

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Wild Knight posted:

I turn off the items

Same

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Screw Snake, if MGS gets a new representative, this is who I want:

Take this vote seriously, please.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

sharrrk posted:

he said, voting for Wolf

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Has anyone in Japan gotten codes for Mewtwo yet? I would've figured he was already out over there and was wondering if anyone was showing him off.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Does getting the codes on the 15th mean getting the DLC on the 15th? I thought they'd still have to wait till the release date to play.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

sharrrk posted:

If you don't want Metal Gear Rising's soundtrack in Smash Bros then honestly I don't even know why you game son.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Aston posted:

he said, voting for Wolf

last night i had a dream that wolf was revealed as an upcoming dlc character for smash 4, and i believe it was a prophecy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

• Locked thread