Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

Catastrophic climate change? Resource scarcity? Welcome to the history of the human race

nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

gradenko_2000 posted:

Well then, I'm genuinely very happy at being proven wrong on one of those fears.

There's also that of all the electricity we use, fossil fuels have been a dwindling percentage of it over time. So even though electricity per capita ain't dropping very fast, fossil fuel usage to make it is compounding.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SedanChair posted:

Catastrophic climate change? Resource scarcity? Welcome to the history of the human race

Yeah but history is real bad.

Nintendo Kid posted:

There's also that of all the electricity we use, fossil fuels have been a dwindling percentage of it over time. So even though electricity per capita ain't dropping very fast, fossil fuel usage to make it is compounding.

While the US per capita energy use is decreasing, what's happening in India and China?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
It'll take a long time to run entirely out of fossil fuels but I think the more pressing concern is that we colonize space before we run out of energy to escape the gravitational well. How long before we run out of the energy to pull that off?

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

zoux posted:

While the US per capita energy use is decreasing, what's happening in India and China?

China has been building a lot of coal power plants, but a lot them are newer in design. I'll roll over in my grave if the US finally kills the coal industry.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Elephant Ambush posted:

Accelerationism is dumb because things are slowly getting better, not worse. Yeah there's a lot of bad poo poo happening and every tiny step forward gets fought tooth and nail, but we're making slow progress and slow progress tends to stick. I wish we could move things forward faster but the bigger and faster changes get fought even harder. The average human brain simply cannot handle fast, radical change. I hate incrementalism but it's all we have and it's been working since the 50s.

Instead of trying to make things worse for everyone so that they'll rise up in glorious revolution, let's use those resources and energy to prevent our small victories from getting overturned, and to keep pushing for more progress. We KNOW that will work because history has shown us that it does. We just need to keep at it. Tirelessly.

Climate change is getting worse than ever in human history. Economic injustice is getting worse not more than ever but progress has been arrested and we are undoing all the progress made in the last century. Those are two enormous issues that are very definitely not getting better.

That said, acclerationism is still dumb because

Zelder posted:

If we're hosed and there's nothing to do, why would you want to get to the "we're hosed state" any faster.

Accelerationism is, to my black mind, something disaffected and well off white people tell themselves because they're depressed

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SedanChair posted:

Well sure, humanity in general might be able to weather catastrophic climate change but forgive me if I think the death toll is still too high regardless.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

zoux posted:

Both seem likely to have economic collapses soon that will put a serious damper on growing energy usage. Additionally, they're both at least trying to use nuclear to help expansion of their electric capacity and they both have efforts at efficent or electric vehicles since proportionately gas/diesel remain pretty expensive for their populace.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Brannock posted:

It'll take a long time to run entirely out of fossil fuels but I think the more pressing concern is that we colonize space before we run out of energy to escape the gravitational well. How long before we run out of the energy to pull that off?

We will have the energy to escape the Earth's gravitational well as long as there is an earth. Especially if you consider things like space elevators, etc.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

Well sure, humanity in general might be able to weather catastrophic climate change but forgive me if I think the death toll is still too high regardless.

But remember this is in the context of the proposed "solution" being accelerating this process.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

gradenko_2000 posted:

That's awful, but it's still not civilization collapse. I doubt the entire world is going to go the way of the Mayans or something.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

Both seem likely to have economic collapses soon that will put a serious damper on growing energy usage. Additionally, they're both at least trying to use nuclear to help expansion of their electric capacity and they both have efforts at efficent or electric vehicles since proportionately gas/diesel remain pretty expensive for their populace.

Post graphs.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Isn't there a climate change thread?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

MaxxBot posted:

Is there anyone here that doesn't think we're headed for some sort of civilizational collapse within the next century? I'm starting to feel like an outlier here.

I don't think civilization will collapse. The human race will face some very serious global issues, but that's not the same thing as out-and-out civilization collapse.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Trabisnikof posted:

But remember this is in the context of the proposed "solution" being accelerating this process.

I wasn't talking about/advocating accelerationism anymore. I was responding to someone else asking if there was anybody else that felt that the world was NOT headed towards civilizational collapse.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Radish posted:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/04/10/judge-slams-victims-for-tots-black-men-fear/25604929/

It sounds like two years after the robbery, the parents were trying to say that the robbers made their three year old racist and that should result in a harsher penalty for the criminals during the sentencing of one. The judge responded by saying that the kid isn't racist, but the parents are possibly using the kid as a way to sanitize their own racism. The robber getting probation seems to come from a hope he would redeem himself, not to stick it to the victims.

So yeah saying he's giving the robbers a pass because he thinks the three year old is a racist is in typical right wing media fashion taking a small kernel of truth and then creating a larger lie out of it. It plays in perfectly because you supposedly have black criminals victimizing a white family then a black man in a position of power yelling at them afterwards and of course using that to give a lighter sentence to the robbers to further stick it to whitey. It's a great "boo hoo white people are the real victims of racism :qq:" that the right wing is pushing like crazy lately.

Thanks! I figured it was something blown completely out of proportion.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

quote:

Vice-President Joe Biden spoke with reporters at the White House on Monday and was inevitably asked about his 2016 plans.

He had a topical joke ready for just this occasion.

“I’m announcing today that Rubio and I are going to run together," he said, jumping off the Florida senator's presidential campaign announcement.

But really, he's not sure about what he'll be up to when the debates start next fall. "I haven't made up my mind on that. I have plenty of time to do that, in my view," Biden said. "If I am wrong, I'm dead wrong, but there's a lot the president and I care about that has to get done in the next two, three months and when you run for president you've got to run for president — and I'm not ready to do that — if I am ever going to be ready to do that."

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/04/biden-rubio-i-are-going-to-run-together-jk.html

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Welp lets forget earth and start looking for a new planet to colonize, I'm sure this will benefit everyone and not just the rich.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Trabisnikof posted:

This is what comes to mind when I see an accelerationist posting.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'd say Mars but apparently it's just lousy with brine.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Finally, good news for my interstellar pickling business!

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Zeitgueist posted:

Welp lets forget earth and start looking for a new planet to colonize, I'm sure this will benefit everyone and not just the rich.

I'm all for sending the rich to colonize a planet because it's gonna fuckin suck compared to even the worst state we could get the Earth in.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah, the problematic part of acceleration as a solution is that there's no indication of when we'll hit bottom, or where that bottom is, or if we'll even turn around or just tunnel through and keep going deeper. For the last several years, through the Obama presidency, occupy wall street, etc, people have been saying "Well at least the right is finally outright saying all these horrible racist things, and exposing their true beliefs, and revealing just how much they deliberately poo poo on the poor", with the implication being that once this happens people will reject them and the right will be forced to correct their course. Well, the opposite happened, the right saw they can be even more transparently despicable and people will deal with it, or even support and encourage it. Yeah people will hate them for it, but those people weren't going to vote GOP anyway. Their base loves it, society as a whole doesn't punish them for it, and the rules are in their favor. I mean most of the people who vote GOP, are suffering because of GOP policies, which they have been brainwashed into thinking are caused by Democrats, and they think supporting the GOP even harder is the only solution.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Dubstep Jesus posted:

I'm all for sending the rich to colonize a planet because it's gonna fuckin suck compared to even the worst state we could get the Earth in.

Isn't there some startup that's essentially doing this with mars?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zeitgueist posted:

Yeah they're innovative solution is to ship people there to die.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zeitgueist posted:

That project is never going to happen or even seem remotely plausible.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

zoux posted:

Yeah but history is real bad.

Both India and China have initiatives to get off of coal ASAP. I think China is going to stop importing coal next year, and India's pretty much in the same boat. That friendlyjordies guy has a bunch of stuff shittalking Australian politicians for giving handbreezies to the coal industry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz91yqC7g2E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViXG4MORdXM

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

zoux posted:

I'd say Mars but apparently it's just lousy with brine.

gently caress that. Once you've made the effort to escaped a gravity well it would be monumentally retarded to just hop back down into one.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Shageletic posted:

Isn't there a climate change thread?

Arkane is in it, so no.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

A Winner is Jew posted:

gently caress that. Once you've made the effort to escaped a gravity well it would be monumentally retarded to just hop back down into one.

So should we build space stations a la Babylon 5?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Stop talking about TEOTWAWKI you fuckin nerds

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

CheesyDog posted:

there is no sounder strategy for an accelerationist than supporting Hillary Clinton

Yes there is; vote GOP so they control all four branches of government (Yes, I'm including judiciary). :getin:

The only problem is that the premise itself is wrong; accelerationism doesn't work unless the damage is so catastrophic that it affects the rich too.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

Let he who does still play WoW cast the first stone at these loving nerds.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

haveblue posted:

That project is never going to happen or even seem remotely plausible.

That's what I mean...an elaborate plan to eject rich people to mars to die.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Fried Chicken posted:

But I feel fine!

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

MC Nietzche posted:

So should we build space stations a la Babylon 5?

Only if I get to be an unregulated telepath.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Zeitgueist posted:

That's what I mean...an elaborate plan to eject rich people to mars to die.

let's spread rumors about how The Earth will soon explode, Krypton-style

The ensuing rush to build private space arks will create many blue-collar jobs, and at the end we shoot the wealthy into the sun.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 14, 2015

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The jokes on you guys, the rich are just going to take their jobs to Mars with them and we'll be left here without knowing how to work for money.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Joementum posted:

Markup on the Iran agreement bill in the Senate Foreign Relations Committee will be at 2:15 today. Senator Corker says they have a bipartisan agreement on moving the bill.

Josh Earnest says that Obama is willing to sign it, so it looks like they found a fig leaf that satisfies both sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

A Winner is Jew posted:

Two planets better than one, at least. A Martian elevator should be easier to build as well.

Zeitgueist posted:

Do you think the future of human civilization is less important than the plight of the poor?

The funding and support NASA receives those days is embarrassing in how much of a pittance it is. If space exploration and colonization is going to be left to only private interests then of course only the rich will benefit from it. You want something that will create jobs and give the economy a kick? Mass space exploration/colonization initiative, led by America.

Or we can just sit here and wallow in hand-wringing while our education system is dismantled around us and the country grows ever-fatter and increasingly impotent. Does America have any direction or goals anymore beyond "Funnel money into the rich"?

• Locked thread