Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Linvala saw play in pod before that was banned as a pre-emptive Twin answer that didn't die to bolt and represented a clock.

e: chording up a Linvala in response to splinter win must have felt amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

TheKingofSprings posted:

Why not just remove in response to Twin being on the stack?
Because he asked what to do if it already resolved. I mean, that's the practical response.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Serperoth posted:

Besides Soul Sisters, is there an actual answer to a resolved Pestermite+Twin or Deceiver+Twin? Emphasis on "answer", not prevention.

Zoness posted:

Rakdos Charm :laffo:

Alternative comedy answer - wipe away/krosan grip

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Serperoth posted:

Besides Soul Sisters, is there an actual answer to a resolved Pestermite+Twin or Deceiver+Twin? Emphasis on "answer", not prevention.

Abrupt Decay, Path, Bolt on Pestermite, Galvanic Blast w/out Metalcraft on Petermite, Galvanic Blast w/ Metalcraft on Deceiver, Rending Volley, Dismember, Doom Blade, Ultimate Price, Victim of Night, Echoing Truth, Rakdos Charm, Combust, Wear//Tear even if you ignore the removal spells that you would likely cast before the Twin resolved there are plenty of options.

Wear//Tear
Destructive Revelry
Naturalize
Nature's Claim

Is this a serious question?

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 14, 2015

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Suture Priest works against Exarch, too (as long as you have as much HP as your opponent).

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Abrupt Decay, Path, Bolt on Pestermite, Galvanic Blast w/out Metalcraft on Petermite, Galvanic Blast w/ Metalcraft on Deceiver, Rending Volley, Dismember, Doom Blade, Ultimate Price, Victim of Night, Echoing Truth, Rakdos Charm, Combust, Wear//Tear even if you ignore the removal spells that you would likely cast before the Twin resolved there are plenty of options.

Is this a serious question?

Yeah, it's pretty late and I didn't think that you can remove the enchanted guy at instant speed. Brainfart on my end. But I did find out about the existence of Batwing Brume, which seems like the best response. "Oh I lose? No you lose :smuggo:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Rakdos charm also works, though honestly just play a card that does something in other matchups too, like any removal spell.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There's also stuff like Night of Soul's Betrayal/Curse of Death's Hold.

Angry Grimace posted:

I'd be okay with BBE being unbanned if it meant JTMS being unbanned, I just hate BBE for reasons that are only half-related to its power level (Cascade is among the shittiest designed mechanics ever and gets even more stupid when stapled to a 3/2 haste duder).
I kindof agree. BBE probably wouldn't break the format but having such a horribly sacky mechanic on a format-defining creature sounds miserable.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Serperoth posted:

Yeah, it's pretty late and I didn't think that you can remove the enchanted guy at instant speed. Brainfart on my end. But I did find out about the existence of Batwing Brume, which seems like the best response. "Oh I lose? No you lose :smuggo:

Yeah it's easy to forget there are a lot of ways to stop Twin for a turn that aren't destroying the creature or countering it and sometimes that's enough to win. I've been Rakdos Charmed, I've had Zealous Persecution stop me long enough to lose, I've had Vines of Vastwood blow me out when I thought "No way he boarded in Nature's Claim, hes only got one green" I once lost to a Puresteel Paladin deck that played Dispatch w/out Metalcraft and followed it up by crushing me with Sword of Fire and Ice.

There's a lot to do against Twin, there's a reason so many players advocate removing nearly all the combo in post board games, it's not as oppressive as people like to convince themselves.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Yeah it's easy to forget there are a lot of ways to stop Twin that aren't destroying the creature or countering it and sometimes that's enough to win. I've been Rakdos Charmed, I've had Zealous Persecution stop me long enough to lose, I've had Vines of Vastwood blow me out when I thought "No way he boarded in Nature's Claim, hes only got one green" I once lost to a Puresteel Paladin deck that played Dispatch w/out Metalcraft and followed it up by crushing me with Sword of Fire and Ice.

There's a lot to do against Twin, there's a reason so many players advocate removing nearly all the combo in post board games, it's not as oppressive as people like to convince themselves.

World's Best Puresteel Paladin Deck:

Deck: Puresteel Paladin Deck

//Creatures
3 Monastery Mentor
4 Puresteel Paladin

//Lands
1 Island
2 Plains
3 Flooded Strand
2 Glimmervoid
1 Godless Shrine
3 Hallowed Fountain
2 Mystic Gate
1 Polluted Delta

//Spells
4 Accorder's Shield
4 Bone Saw
4 Kite Shield
4 Paradise Mantle
1 Sigil of Distinction
4 Spidersilk Net
1 Echoing Truth
4 Muddle the Mixture
3 Noxious Revival
4 Retract
4 Mox Opal
1 Grapeshot

//Sideboard
3 Angel's Grace
3 Batwing Brume
3 Gut Shot
3 Silence
3 Cavern of Souls

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I knew that effect was somewhere besides Rakdos Charm, I just didn't feel like looking.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

Hmmm the guy who beat me ran 4x Paladin, 4x Mortarpod, 4x Flayer Husk, 4x Glint Hawk, 4x Opal, Batterskull, a couple of swords of XnY, Path, Dispatch, 4x Steelshapers Gift and tons of utility equipment, I saw him beat a Goryo's Vengence deck with a Leonin Bola. It was great the other dude was pissed. "BUT EMRAKUL HAS PROTECTION" From spells, Bro, apparently a pair of balls linked by string is too much for the Eldrazi to handle

It was a kooky brew and I wonder what makes it bad because when I saw him play it definetely gave the impression that it had loads of game. Now that I'm thinking about it there might be a list with there with the Mentor, Darksteel Citadel, some blue for Ensoul Artifact, Thoughtcast, some permission. Interesting.

EDIT: I don't actually think there is Puresteel Paladin deck waiting to be discovered.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 14, 2015

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Is this a deck that someone has played? Because I want to play it.

Also Emrakul has pro: colored spells, so even if leonin bolas was red it still would be 2pro4emmy

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Yes that's fine. You can discuss splits and concessions independently to your hearts content. The problem is Judges have been very loose about what "independently" means so you get a lot of players who think you can nibble around the edges and the understanding a lot players and Judges have developed is that as long as you're not flat out directly asking your opponent to scoop in exchange for a split than its totally allowed and you can imply and wink wink all day.
At FNM last, we were both 2-1 in the final round and whoever won was going to get 3 packs, the loser would get 0. Common etiquette at my LGS is to offer a split so the winner gets 2, loser gets 1. I ask my opponent "split packs?" and he responds with "I'll concede if you give me a pack." I like winning and prizes so I agree, tell the HJ that my opponents concedes the match to me, give him a pack of khans because that was his desired set.

Which of us, if any, did something wrong?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Sigma-X posted:

Is this a deck that someone has played? Because I want to play it.

Also Emrakul has pro: colored spells, so even if leonin bolas was red it still would be 2pro4emmy

It was 3rd at States (idk where)

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=82550

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Yawgmoth posted:

Which of us, if any, did something wrong?

The penalty is the same for the person who makes the bribe and the person who accepts it. In this case your opponent first violated the rules when he said "Ill concede if you give me the pack" at that point you are supposed to call a Judge, you did not and in failing to do so and accepting his offer you are also now guilty of Bribery. A Judge should DQ both of you.

I'll quote L4 and excellent Judge Kim Warren on the subject of these types of serious infractions at FNM or other regular REL events.

L4 Kim Warren posted:

The most common disqualifications are those that occur for rolling a die or using some other random method to determine the outcome of a match, or for bribery where some extra incentive is offered in exchange for a desired match result. Unlike with cheating, these infractions do not require a player to be aware that what they are attempting to do is breaking the rules in order to lead to a disqualification. It is important that Magic matches are decided based on the parameters of the game in order to be fair to all the participants in a tournament.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 15, 2015

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I kindof agree. BBE probably wouldn't break the format but having such a horribly sacky mechanic on a format-defining creature sounds miserable.

BBE having an Armageddon attached to it sure was format breaking for a minute in Modern.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Only loss tonight was against RG Dragons with Xenagos and Stormbreath and it was scary for my G/RDW. Any sideboard strategy for that? Thinking I might grab that Temple of Abandon and go up to 20 lands and throw 2 rabbles in the sideboard instead of outpost siege. The Pro Tour guy had 20 lands and I'm thinking that's the best to smooth it out enough. The fetches help a lot, but only if you actually draw them. Anything else for a RDW sideboard to think about for Saturday? PTQ and Game Day at my LGS, and will be my first ones ever of both of those.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Dohaeris posted:

Only loss tonight was against RG Dragons with Xenagos and Stormbreath and it was scary for my G/RDW. Any sideboard strategy for that? Thinking I might grab that Temple of Abandon and go up to 20 lands and throw 2 rabbles in the sideboard instead of outpost siege. The Pro Tour guy had 20 lands and I'm thinking that's the best to smooth it out enough. The fetches help a lot, but only if you actually draw them. Anything else for a RDW sideboard to think about for Saturday? PTQ and Game Day at my LGS, and will be my first ones ever of both of those.

R/G is just a difficult matchup for RDW. You have to draw well and hope they don't draw a hand with a lot of dorks and things to ramp to.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Angry Grimace posted:

Deck: Puresteel Paladin Deck

This is loving incredible.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Does it take longer than normal for a GPT to get recorded? I attended my first this last weekend and I still don't see it in my history even though I did a draft on Sunday which is there. I'm wondering if the store opted to not record me due to a situation that arose in my final match of the day. I accidentally started to draw two cards from the top of my deck and my opponent immediately called a judge, accused me of cheating stating that I drew two cards and then eventually he backpedaled to that he believed I saw the top card of my deck. I was a bit blown away as we were both 2-2 and out of contention for a top 8 spot so it seemed absurd to me that someone would bother cheating. I was not aware of any specific rules and was just playing for a couple plansewalker points and to test my deck some more. While the judge is conferring with the store owner I go to check my phone for texts and he makes what I felt was a rather smarmy remark about not being allowed to use my phone. All around the guy seemed like a dick but he's local to the store and after he trounced me with a never ending parade of Dromoka's Commands I heard him talking poo poo about me to the judge. I'm wondering if they chose to side with him and just make my results disappear.

Levin fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 15, 2015

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

So... does this deck do anything if you don't draw a paladin or if your opponent draws removal?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

So... does this deck do anything if you don't draw a paladin or if your opponent draws removal?

poo poo out like a dozen Monastery Mentor tokens.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Mr. Peepers posted:

This is loving incredible.

I might start playing magic again to play this.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Real men play Spoils of the Vault.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

cheetah7071 posted:

Muddle the Mixture both finds the guy and protects him once he's on the field. It's practically unbeatable!

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)
My friend Martin wrote a bit on his Pro Tour victory - it's in Danish though, but Google Translate pulls through pretty nicely. (Formatting goes to hell though)

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=da&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.danskmagic.com%2Farticles%2Findex.php%3FID%3D1809

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

alphabrawl posted:

Reprints that'll never happen is my guess.

I'm okay with this.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

JerryLee posted:

Without dumb recurring derails what would we actually talk about in this thread, though?

I like that "if not for pedantic arguing what could we possibly do to discuss things" is apparently a concern

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Maybe a stupid question but do any LGS's have the ability or desire to say run a retro themed FNM? Would something like that be supported by Wizard or the player community?

I only started playing right when Dragon's Maze was released and I realize I can play those decks now if I wanted since they're modern legal but they lose out to actual real modern decklists.

I just thought of a casual style FNM of an old set/block would be hit with people who had favorite decks back then who can't play them now. ie Maze's End, U/W Control, Wolf Run Ramp, etc etc etc

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Maybe a stupid question but do any LGS's have the ability or desire to say run a retro themed FNM? Would something like that be supported by Wizard or the player community?

I only started playing right when Dragon's Maze was released and I realize I can play those decks now if I wanted since they're modern legal but they lose out to actual real modern decklists.

I just thought of a casual style FNM of an old set/block would be hit with people who had favorite decks back then who can't play them now. ie Maze's End, U/W Control, Wolf Run Ramp, etc etc etc

The closest I've seen are flashback drafts, sometimes. We did RoE a few weeks ago. (It was overpriced, and I was the only one who pulled a $20+ card out of the whole pod. It was a Splinter Twin.)

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

FNM is now "any format you like". As far as Wizards is concerned, stores can run Urza's Block Constructed, Cube, Mirage Block Draft, and so on.

The question is whether your store wants to run a retro-themed FNM, and the players. You could look for ideas in old Invitational stuff, they've balanced decks out by having players lose life or starting hand size, so that could work potentially?

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know if any of you have been paying attention, but a number of big names in magic have done a modern rotisserie draft over the past few weeks, and they're streaming their matches on twitch at 6pm PST tonight.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vce9vdhxqtu6zrptp_GmTyq3ik79wdqNxc4iXPF5DUk/htmlview?sle=true#gid=0

Should be a fun watch, some interesting picks. We've got Randy Buehler with a balls to the wall nearly mono red aggro, and Rashad Miller who first picked Glimpse the Unthinkable and has built some kind of Mill/Self-mill monstrosity. Others have all taken various different paths, and everyone's deck looks pretty good. I'm excited to check it out, though I'll probably be out playing paper magic through the beginning of it. Hopefully there'll be some VODs.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Surrak: still cool in the new timeline

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Legit man who can punch a Dragon and snap its neck confirmed Baller of Tarkir

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
God this writing is still loving awful. Do they actually pay writers for this, or is it just the creative team on their downtime?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Lancelot posted:

God this writing is still loving awful. Do they actually pay writers for this, or is it just the creative team on their downtime?

The latter.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Lol if you were expecting quality writing from the MTG creative fluff pieces.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

quote:

With a burst of speed, Surrak slammed his fist into his second's ribs, cracking several, and sending the knife clattering along the stone. He caught the huge man before he hit the ground and held him close, whispering into his ear. "I don't blame you for trying. But she knows I did nothing wrong. Why are dragons above humans? They're stronger. Simple as that. But the dragon we found was weak. Sick. So what reverence did we owe it? She understands. And now you do."
:captainpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

jassi007 posted:

The latter.

Not just the creative team, they got Sam Stoddard(who is on the development team) to do it last week.

But yes, basically lol MtG writing.

• Locked thread