Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

The one elf he can truly love.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Triple baldies, whoa.

AnimeJune posted:

Yeah, most areas will have one or two major quests (in the Exalted Plains you have to burn corpses, in Emprise de Leon you have to storm a keep and defeat a demon, etc) and then a lot of grind-y Kill This Dude or Find These Things filler quests. However, not every area will have a Major Storyline quest in it - as long as you keep your levels up, you can actually skip certain areas entirely without losing one iota of story. In my last play through, I stopped by the Hissing Wastes solely for the Dog Merchant and avoided Emerald Graves entirely.

The Hinterlands has - maybe - four important quests. Rescue Mother Giselle, do the Horsemaster's errands, spank the Mage and Templar camps, and activate Solas' glowing green veil-protecting artefact. Everything else is filler - although the Hinterlands has a lovely Starter Dragon.
Emerald wastes is good if you wanna get some really easy amulets of power, and the Orlesian Spartacus story is pretty cool IMHO. It's not the Storm Coast, which is objectively worthless: go in, storm the Templar Cave, get to the dragon, and leave.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Wasabi the J posted:

Triple baldies, whoa.

We raid together, hit the Fade together.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

For anyone who wants to pick up the first two games, Humble Bundle is doing a Name Your Price thing where you can get a bunch of Origin games including Dragon Age: Origins for $1, and if you pay $5 you can get more games, including DA2.

I don't think DA:O is the Ultimate Edition with all the DLCs though.

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

Stroop There It Is posted:

For anyone who wants to pick up the first two games, Humble Bundle is doing a Name Your Price thing where you can get a bunch of Origin games including Dragon Age: Origins for $1, and if you pay $5 you can get more games, including DA2.

I don't think DA:O is the Ultimate Edition with all the DLCs though.

Oh man, this is just what I was waiting for. Sad that it's not Ultimate DA:O though. Besides Awakening, how essential/good is the other DA:O DLC?

Bonus dumb question: Since I've Inquisition on Origin, and can only get an Origin key for DAII, I guess I should also opt for the Origin key instead of Steam key for DA:O? Is there any reason not to?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Giant Boy Detective posted:

Oh man, this is just what I was waiting for. Sad that it's not Ultimate DA:O though. Besides Awakening, how essential/good is the other DA:O DLC?

Darkspawn Chronicles is short but fun: you play as a Hurlock Vanguard during the darkspawn assault on Denerim in an alternate timeline where the Warden died in the Joining and it was down to Alistair to save the day.

Witch Hunt has some fun banter between a couple of entertaining party members but takes a left turn into the shitter once Morrigan comes up, and it's almost entirely reused assets.

Leliana's Song is bad.

Warden's Keep is a short but fairly interesting dungeon.

Stone Prisoner is really good and adds a great party member.

Golems of Agmarrak is an ultra-hard dungeon crawl for the folks who bitched about DAO being too easy.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I think the consensus is a lot of the DA:O dlc not called Awakening is pretty skippable. Warden's Keep is okay because it gets you a stash and some good gear and vendors, and Return to Ostagar can give you some good lines from some characters and the gear's not awful if a bit unimpressive. Shale is a nice companion once you have her and she reacts well with the base game but I find her recruitment quest pretty boring. Beyond that you have gifts, both real and gag, if want to game Approval, a prequel about Leliana, an alternate take on things where the Darkspawn win because Alistair is a dumb, and the Golems DLC is basically Super Challenge mode which I didn't find a lot of fun. Witch Hunt is the only relevant post-game DLC outside of Awakening, and I found it pretty boring and useless except for one okay boss fight at the end, and you have the Keep to set the thing that matters. I feel like if you have to pick two non-Awakening DLCs, you'll get the most out of Shale and Return to Ostagar, and just read about the rest. Seriously, Witch Hunt is 99% padding.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
So I'm playing a stabby rogue and at level 5 in the Hinterlands everything around my level dies super quick (playing on Hard) but I've picked up the Skirmisher skill, the upgrade from Flank Attack, and is the stealth supposed to last forever? I've not tested it in combat but regular stealth wears off right? I'm having to activate and deactivate regular stealth or my character is a constant ghost just from killing sheep for the refugees.

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

Thanks for the rundown of the DA:O DLC. I'll look into Stone Prisoner and skip Witch Hunt. (Just going to hit the button to stab Morrigan on Keep for the full experience.)

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Definitely get The Stone Prisoner. The quest may be a little dull, but Shale is just the best.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

eating only apples posted:

So I'm playing a stabby rogue and at level 5 in the Hinterlands everything around my level dies super quick (playing on Hard) but I've picked up the Skirmisher skill, the upgrade from Flank Attack, and is the stealth supposed to last forever? I've not tested it in combat but regular stealth wears off right? I'm having to activate and deactivate regular stealth or my character is a constant ghost just from killing sheep for the refugees.
It does as long as you don't do something to break it (attack, plant a flag etc). In my LP I got my Inquisitor to show up invisible at the war table because I murdered a nug and then triggered the door :v: Regular does have a timer, Skirmisher does not. Whether this was intentional or not is left up to your imagination.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Giant Boy Detective posted:

Thanks for the rundown of the DA:O DLC. I'll look into Stone Prisoner and skip Witch Hunt. (Just going to hit the button to stab Morrigan on Keep for the full experience.)

Witch Hunt is real short buuut the mage guy you hang out with is one of the most annoying people I wish had shown up in future games, he's great.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

eating only apples posted:

Witch Hunt is real short buuut the mage guy you hang out with is one of the most annoying people I wish had shown up in future games, he's great.

It also has a couple snippets of interesting lore. Even the dwarves go out of their way to be massive shits to the elves.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Crow Jane posted:

Definitely get The Stone Prisoner. The quest may be a little dull, but Shale is just the best.

https://youtu.be/YIplS72Tnyo

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick
I never really liked Shale that much. Moreso even than Morrigan it felt like I would say something completely innocuous and get Shale disapproves (-20)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Shale did make Orzammar more interesting though, mostly because of the arguments between shale having a point about the golems being forgotten and Ogren's wife being loving nuts.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Shale did make Orzammar more interesting though, mostly because of the arguments between shale having a point about the golems being forgotten and Ogren's wife being loving nuts.

The only time I actually bother to take Shale anywhere, really. Beyond that her upgrades just went to my ever expanding gold coffers.

Did anything actually come from sketchy scientist dude continuing research in Warden's Keep in later games?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Warmachine posted:

Did anything actually come from sketchy scientist dude continuing research in Warden's Keep in later games?

Not yet, but it is a decision in the Keep along with whether or not you drank the blood potion.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Not yet, but it is a decision in the Keep along with whether or not you drank the blood potion.

I can still hope Commander Tabris rides in on the power of :science: at a later date then.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Does anyone have the link to the former thread about DA2 and etc?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Cythereal posted:

Witch Hunt has some fun banter between a couple of entertaining party members but takes a left turn into the shitter once Morrigan comes up, and it's almost entirely reused assets.

To be fair once Morrigan turns up it ends like two minutes later.

I dunno, I really liked Witch Hunt. It was easy as gently caress but the party members and your mabari all had some fun interactions, and it served as a nice little epilogue for DAO. It was almost entirely reused assets, admittedly, but in a way going all the way back to Flemeth's hut and the beginning of your journey two years later just felt like it really brought a sense of closure to the Warden's arc.

Granted if I'd paid full price for it instead of getting it as part of buying the PS3 ultimate edition for like $10 I would've been pretty pissed since it's like an hour long, but still!

quote:

Leliana's Song is bad.

I do agree with this, though. Leliana's Song is so stupid and bad that it made me actively dislike Leliana after I'd played it, and I didn't even really come back around again until DAI.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Warmachine posted:

The only indirect consequence I have seen is in DA2: If you free Sophia, you run into her again on the coast in DA2, and can either kill her there or make a deal with her. For her to be alive, Avernus must be dead, so the 'consequence' of letting him continue his research, whether freely or within constraints, is that you miss out on a quest in DA2. I have not seen any mention in DA:I, and I've been pretty thorough in my completionist run. If there is something, it's hidden in a codex entry (I wasn't insane enough to read all of those).

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

GhostBoy posted:

The only indirect consequence I have seen is in DA2: If you free Sophia, you run into her again on the coast in DA2, and can either kill her there or make a deal with her. For her to be alive, Avernus must be dead, so the 'consequence' of letting him continue his research, whether freely or within constraints, is that you miss out on a quest in DA2. I have not seen any mention in DA:I, and I've been pretty thorough in my completionist run. If there is something, it's hidden in a codex entry (I wasn't insane enough to read all of those).

I could have sworn there was a war table mission related to that, since I had to remember who avernus was at one point.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Morrigan mentions him at one point when discussing curing the Calling.

Plus I recall that in DA2 if you kept him alive you got a potion that gave you a free ability point or something.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
What changes in DAI if you romanced Morrigan?

I've always done sacrifice in DAO because come the gently caress on, this isn't a fairy tale, and she doesn't seem like she should have a dragon demon baby anyways. Didn't mind that she had a normal kid by DAI, because it wasn't a demon baby, and didn't divert my sacrifice choice.

Friend of mine though is telling me I totally need to romance Morrigan in DAO and play through DAI because "she becomes super motherly and her character changes" or something like that. Does anything actually change? Because she seemed pretty motherly and protective of him even in my game.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Rookersh posted:

I've always done sacrifice in DAO because come the gently caress on, this isn't a fairy tale, and she doesn't seem like she should have a dragon demon baby anyways. Didn't mind that she had a normal kid by DAI, because it wasn't a demon baby, and didn't divert my sacrifice choice.

Friend of mine though is telling me I totally need to romance Morrigan in DAO and play through DAI because "she becomes super motherly and her character changes" or something like that. Does anything actually change? Because she seemed pretty motherly and protective of him even in my game.

If you went through the mirror with her, then your Warden is essentially married to her. He's still off on his journey, but is slated to return as Morrigan speaks fondly of him as an almost-husband and father to Kieran.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Rookersh posted:

She still tries to act like she's above everything, but when push comes to shove, yeah, she chooses to be a mother first. I'm not sure setting up a demon baby save and replaying the whole game for just that on its own would be much of a pay-off, but it's nice to see that development. Spoiler for specifics: She believes Flemeth is a threat to her and her child, and when Flemeth takes Kieran, she goes ballistic trying to find him. Flemeth offers a choice between Kieran and what she's been working for her entire life, and Morrigan doesn't even let her finish before she chooses Kieran.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Also delivers a nice serve to Flemeth. "I will not be the mother you were to me."

And then Flemeth actually looks hurt, as if Morrigan would have had any other reaction to Flemeth's parenting.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

HIJK posted:

Also delivers a nice serve to Flemeth. "I will not be the mother you were to me."

And then Flemeth actually looks hurt, as if Morrigan would have had any other reaction to Flemeth's parenting.

Yeah, that was a little weird. Morrigan's burn was totally on point, but Flemeth's reaction was... hell, what was she expecting?

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, that was a little weird. Morrigan's burn was totally on point, but Flemeth's reaction was... hell, what was she expecting?

I took it more as an expression of guilt. Flemeth is a goddess whose only goal has been to avenge her murder. It looked like she honestly never stopped to think that this was a human being she was grooming to be her next incarnation. Yeah, she isn't wholly a goddess, but the human part has been around for a long-rear end time. Gods are selfish. They only look at the big picture. She cares enough about Morrigan to feel guilt for failing to show her the affection she needed as child.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

To be fair for much of DA:O it seems like Morrigan does believe that Flemeth's parenting was on point. She believes she needed to be taught cruel lessons to survive in a cruel world. Obviously that cracks later, but early conversations with Morrigan would seem to indicate she'd bought in, and Flemeth may have been expecting more of that.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Well, it seems like so much of Flemeth/Mythal is tied up in her identity as a betrayed woman and her lust for vengeance. Her daughters were nothing but tools for her to exact her wrath through, and that was the purpose for which they were born.

Morrigan was operating the same way, Oldgod-Kieran started out as a way for her to gain power, and hopefully to kill Flemeth, but then she started to genuinely love him. Her relationship with the Warden and a Human-Kieran changes her the same way. Once she's exposed to more normal and healthy relationships she takes to them very well. She doesn't lose her hatred of Flemeth though.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Lotish posted:

She still tries to act like she's above everything, but when push comes to shove, yeah, she chooses to be a mother first. I'm not sure setting up a demon baby save and replaying the whole game for just that on its own would be much of a pay-off, but it's nice to see that development. Spoiler for specifics: She believes Flemeth is a threat to her and her child, and when Flemeth takes Kieran, she goes ballistic trying to find him. Flemeth offers a choice between Kieran and what she's been working for her entire life, and Morrigan doesn't even let her finish before she chooses Kieran.

Wait, what was supposed to happen for those of us who chose Sacrifice? I got that same sequence, and I never got any mail from my Warden/everyone mentioned she died so I know the game registered right.

What sequence was I supposed to get?

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Rookersh posted:

Wait, what was supposed to happen for those of us who chose Sacrifice? I got that same sequence, and I never got any mail from my Warden/everyone mentioned she died so I know the game registered right.

What sequence was I supposed to get?

You go to a garden. Okay, it's a temple of Mythril where Morrigan finds out that Flemeth is Mythril. I can't remember the conversation and have no clue if Morrigan helps at the end fight or not if you don't have the demon baby since I haven't finished my game based on the sacrifice background. But you don't end up taking the eluvian to the fade.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bored posted:

You go to a garden. Okay, it's a temple of Mythril where Morrigan finds out that Flemeth is Mythril. I can't remember the conversation and have no clue if Morrigan helps at the end fight or not if you don't have the demon baby since I haven't finished my game based on the sacrifice background. But you don't end up taking the eluvian to the fade.

If there is no demon baby, Morrigan goes "Ancient power?! MINEMINEMINEMINEMINE!!!" even after you inform her with arcane lore that the ancient power in question will mind-control you. Morrigan still helps at the end fight because Flemeth doesn't give her a choice in the matter.

Kieran also doesn't exist if you simply didn't romance Morrigan, didn't do the ritual, and Alistair or Loghain killed the archdemon.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Bored posted:

If there's no demon baby, then what happens depends on who drank from the Well. Morrigan: shapeshifts to dragon and helps in the final fight. You: immediately after Flemeth leaves a dragon turns up that you fight and it will help you instead.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
:psyduck:

My Origin game ended with me as a female Warden doing sacrifice, and Loghain alive. That's what my Keep says as well. In my Inquis run Loghain showed up, and Morrigan had Kieran, Flemeth threatened him, and Morrigan offered herself in his place.

I thought he was just some kid she had in the interim with some random guy, since it never really mentioned he was a demon child.

Wonder how my game has both flags set.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Rookersh posted:

:psyduck:

My Origin game ended with me as a female Warden doing sacrifice, and Loghain alive. That's what my Keep says as well. In my Inquis run Loghain showed up, and Morrigan had Kieran, Flemeth threatened him, and Morrigan offered herself in his place.

I thought he was just some kid she had in the interim with some random guy, since it never really mentioned he was a demon child.

Wonder how my game has both flags set.

Did you actually export your Keep settings? You don't just save them at the Keep, you actually have to hit some sort of export button, which I know because I didn't do it the first time I loaded up Inquisition. Luckily I figure it out right after the prologue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Big Bidness posted:

Did you actually export your Keep settings? You don't just save them at the Keep, you actually have to hit some sort of export button, which I know because I didn't do it the first time I loaded up Inquisition. Luckily I figure it out right after the prologue.

I think a lot of people mess up that part. I figured it out ten hours in. :smith:

• Locked thread