From: Leonard
Subject: Leonard (Social Security Number)

From: Vicki
Subject: your daughter misses you...
:smith:

(Pop pop!)

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

That episode improved immensly after a second viewing, and I understood what they were trying to do. The ending felt trite because it was trite. I think the whole idea was taking the two 'bottle' episodes we love and giving them the same Community meta treatment.

I expect paintball pt. 3 will do the same thing.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Yeah, I expect the fact that Jeff is a teacher will change the dynamic of paintball this season. I don't think he'll be allowed to participate (and I don't expect he'll enroll just so that he can play like Chang did in Season 1), which will present the opportunity to deconstruct the paintball game and the catastrophic damage it deals to the school from the perspective from someone outside the game.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

In It For The Tank posted:

Yeah, I expect the fact that Jeff is a teacher will change the dynamic of paintball this season. I don't think he'll be allowed to participate (and I don't expect he'll enroll just so that he can play like Chang did in Season 1), which will present the opportunity to deconstruct the paintball game and the catastrophic damage it deals to the school from the perspective from someone outside the game.

I think they might just give it the viscera cleanup detail treatment. Making them the Save Greendale committee seemed like it should've put them in the position of having to clean up after the kind of bullshit they got up to as the Study Group, so why not do an episode where they have to clean up after a paintball match that we don't get to see?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Republican Vampire posted:

I think they might just give it the viscera cleanup detail treatment. Making them the Save Greendale committee seemed like it should've put them in the position of having to clean up after the kind of bullshit they got up to as the Study Group, so why not do an episode where they have to clean up after a paintball match that we don't get to see?

Or try and stop/mitigate one that's begun.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Spacebump posted:

"And frankly haven't been well utilized since." Chang.

Laughed hard there. Really solid episode overall.

PostNouveau posted:

I wish Keith David had been on this show for all 5 seasons.

He's doing a much better job than Chase did. Not sure if he's surpassed Banks yet though.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

wait has the theme song been about killing yourself this whole time

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

Stairmaster posted:

wait has the theme song been about killing yourself this whole time

yes, and greendale is limbo

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Still not feeling it...Their argument over the emails brought me back to some old fashioned Community characterisation but then they all just started talking over each other again and you're like "is this meant to be funny?"

And they referenced Winger speeches. I miss those. I get that it shouldn't be a crutch ala the Scrubs narration wrapup, but man. Some of those were great and it was so Jeff. How long has it been?

PostNouveau posted:

Buzz Hickey Memorial Services in the lunch lady's email :(
Goddamn it. :smith: Sucks that they killed off another character, and that they did it like that.

Spacebump posted:

"And frankly haven't been well utilized since." Chang.
Okay, that was pretty funny. (But only because it was so true.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I'd like to think Buzz Hickey faked his death, except doing a much better job hiding his identity than Starburns.

By the way, where is Starburns?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

What's that Russian say?

It's Bulgarian.
From Zhazira
Re: The day of Bulgarian Independence from Ottoman Empire

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Is Abed's cat Robocop shirt a real thing you can buy

Insanity Prawn
Jul 17, 2007
Hooray for moon jesus!

ElwoodCuse posted:

Is Abed's cat Robocop shirt a real thing you can buy

Yep!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

MrAristocrates posted:

Keith David is so loving great.

Yeah, he's really making the episodes, even the ones that aren't great.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dreylad posted:

Yeah, he's really making the episodes, even the ones that aren't great.

I really like that the old guy on the show is no longer a dummy. (Also, he's Keith David, but you knew that. :swoon:)

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
I am still laughing over Elroy threatening to bite Chang's finger off.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Xelkelvos posted:

Or try and stop/mitigate one that's begun.

Maybe it will show the war from the perspective of the civilians.
Everything around them turns to poo poo, while they just try their best to live their life in these terrible circumstances.

That''s certainly a genre they haven't done before. But that would feel dpressing.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ETB posted:

By the way, where is Starburns?

His name is Alex :mad:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

prefect posted:

I really like that the old guy on the show is no longer a dummy. (Also, he's Keith David, but you knew that. :swoon:)
Vice President Keith David. :colbert:

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

John Dough posted:

His name is Alex :mad:

He should have that shaved into the sides of his head instead then.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
I can't believe I haven't posted this yet, but here's a video with clips of Keith David singing Nat King Cole.

It's... pretty great.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

El Tortuga posted:

I can't believe I haven't posted this yet, but here's a video with clips of Keith David singing Nat King Cole.

It's... pretty great.

Every time I watch Community with my room mate now, I spend about 5 minutes after the show talking about how much I love Keith David. These songs are proof that love is not misplaced.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I liked this episode but then again I tend to like the bottle episodes where all the dirty secrets come out. On an unrelated note is it me has abed just been kind of retarded this whole season?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Somewhere along the way, Abed became a composite of Abed and Troy.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
It feels like they're trying to reel in Abed a bit, but it's only sort of half working.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Interesting ep. Act 2 was basically yelling.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

In It For The Tank posted:

Somewhere along the way, Abed became a composite of Abed and Troy.
I still don't understand why he smiles so much now and this kinda explains it.

Was there a gradual change there? Abed's blank face and occasional forced expressions really sold his character and condition.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

VagueRant posted:

What happened to Buzz Hickey anyway? (I know Jonathan Banks had to do Better Call Saul - but did they offer any in-universe explanation?)

My memory is highly fuzzy, but I think it was implied he was going to move to England with John Oliver's character because they discovered they were related? Like, Professor John Oliver told a story describing someone he is related to (Mother? Aunt?) and Hickey had a relationship with that person. I think they left it ambiguous on purpose 'cause they didn't know if and when they'd get a new season at the time.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

.

Metropolis posted:

My memory is highly fuzzy, but I think it was implied he was going to move to England with John Oliver's character because they discovered they were related? Like, Professor John Oliver told a story describing someone he is related to (Mother? Aunt?) and Hickey had a relationship with that person. I think they left it ambiguous on purpose 'cause they didn't know if and when they'd get a new season at the time.

And now he's dead.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Solice Kirsk posted:

And now he's dead.

So we think.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
Hickey also jizzed himself to death, but with an English barmaid instead of a pile of vacutainers.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Metropolis posted:

My memory is highly fuzzy, but I think it was implied he was going to move to England with John Oliver's character because they discovered they were related? Like, Professor John Oliver told a story describing someone he is related to (Mother? Aunt?) and Hickey had a relationship with that person. I think they left it ambiguous on purpose 'cause they didn't know if and when they'd get a new season at the time.

Fun fact: Mr Professor John Oliver's character apparently comes from my home-town I'm in right now, Scunthorpe. I giggled very much at the song.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!

VagueRant posted:

I still don't understand why he smiles so much now and this kinda explains it.

Was there a gradual change there? Abed's blank face and occasional forced expressions really sold his character and condition.

He's just been practicing facial expressions in the mirror.

We've all done it.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
I haven't dug into it too much, but Wikileaks dumped the entire Sony archive earlier today. I did a cursory look on Community and the only stuff there was a bit of financial details about the deal and that Yahoo and Sony were both pretty excited to move forward with Season 6. It was only for one season but Yahoo seemed excited about potentially doing more.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I don't remember if it was brought up here, but on Harmontown Dan mentioned that how pleasantly surprised he was at seeing Yahoo's (confidential) viewing figures after years of Neilson ratings.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The same # of people are watching. Nielsons are an agreed upon lie.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I choose to believe that Buzz Hickey Memorial Services is the name of a business.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Or a class that Buzz Hickey teaches about how to properly hold services for people, especially military funerals. Or ducks.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

What the hell.

  • Locked thread