Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Bottom Liner posted:

Also you guys didn't dissuade me enough from Marvel Dice Heroes, I ended up getting a starter set and a few boosters and it's a lot of fun. Damnit.

Should've went full grog and went D&D Dice Masters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Broken Loose posted:

Comprehensive list of good deckbuilders:
1. Dominion
2. Eminent Domain + Escalation (expac required)
3. Puzzle Strike Third Edition

How do you feel about Arctic Scavengers?

golden bubble: Mythotopia is quite good. There's been a lot of whinging about the end game taking a long time, but the actual answer to that is 'git gud'. It's a valid strat to let two other players maneuever the game to an endgame state, then steal victory while they're busy kicking each other in the bollocks.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Valley of the Kings is a decent dynamic market deckbuilder (or whatever we're calling these things).

It does a number of things to address the problems with the dynamic market system that are pretty clever.

- The market offering is cascading (only 3 of the 6 cards are available at a time) so you know what's coming up and can control what's up next to some degree
- The deck is split into two stages with the most powerful cards appearing at the end, so you can't get the 'best' cards with a lucky draw at the start of the game
- You need to 'entomb' cards to get points from them, removing them from your deck; the game's basically built around trashing your deck and the designer understands how powerful it can be
- You get points for set collection, so there may be little point buying the 'best' card if you don't have others of its set - and if you've already got one, you won't get points for entombing a second. It also adds an extra layer of strategy where you can deny others parts of the sets they're collecting.

I've only played it a few times but found it pretty enjoyable and well-balanced.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

There is also another game called Hands in the Sea being designed by a wargame designer that is using A Few Acres of Snow's system. Initial reports from people that have played AFoS and Mythotopia seem to prefer it, and the designer is supposedly avoiding the pitfalls of AFoS

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Broken Loose posted:

Comprehensive list of good deckbuilders:
1. Dominion
2. Eminent Domain + Escalation (expac required)
3. Puzzle Strike Third Edition

You have sinned against Vlaada. Report to reeducation camp for mandatory brain realignment.

(Camp will be held behind this shed. The curriculum will be .30cal.)

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

The End posted:

How do you feel about Arctic Scavengers?

It's real bad.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Gutter Owl posted:

You have sinned against Vlaada. Report to reeducation camp for mandatory brain realignment.

(Camp will be held behind this shed. The curriculum will be .30cal.)

Would you actually call mage knight a deckbuilder though. I probably wouldn't even though deckbuilding's a core element, there's just too much else going on

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Mage Knight is like every game I've ever played shoved into one and I have no idea where to start learning. Anyone have a good Youtube guide or something?

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
I wouldn't class games like Mage Knight, Mythotopia, Study in Emerald etc where deckbuilding is one mechanic out of a multitude as deckbuilders.

Malloreon posted:

It's real bad.

Any particular reason?

For my money, while it's heavily derivative of Dominion to the point of being more or less a fixed kingdom Dominion, but there are a couple of interesting tweaks that give it some special sauce:

* The junk pile, whilst being a single deck market, is stocked with many multiples of necessary cards, and the 'Dig' action lets you expend resources to reduce the randomness by accessing more cards
* The multi-value cards make for an interesting dynamic where you aren't always going with the most efficient play each turn because you may need to do a specific action right away, or reserve cards for the skirmish
* Gang Leaders give a lot of variability to strategy
* The game's designer clearly gets deck thinning. It's a built in action, and buildings allow you card reservation.
* The designer also kept the most important parts of Dominion - single actions, single buys and the most valuable vp cards are useless.

It gets a bit samey, but of all the Dominion clones I've played, it's the one that fucks up the formula the least.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Broken Loose posted:

I refer to market row deckbuilders as "parade-style" every now and again, but the proper name is "lovely." It comes as no surprise that no deckbuilder I consider good has a market parade.

"what's the main mechanic of this deckbuilder?"
"it's a poo poo parade"

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

Bottom Liner posted:

Mage Knight is like every game I've ever played shoved into one and I have no idea where to start learning. Anyone have a good Youtube guide or something?

Running (at least the first turns of) a solo campaign a few times in the Vassal module helps - if for nothing else you don't have to deal quite as much with setup. Except the dummy player actually adds to the laundry list of things to manage...

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
The real deckbuilder question is:
Does Puzzlestrike play better with cards or chips?

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

JohnnySavs posted:

Running (at least the first turns of) a solo campaign a few times in the Vassal module helps - if for nothing else you don't have to deal quite as much with setup. Except the dummy player actually adds to the laundry list of things to manage...

Dunno about Android, but there is an iOS app that runs the dummy player for you.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Bottom Liner posted:

Mage Knight is pretty daunting at first, but most of the systems just seem to click after a little while. I would totally avoid player vs player stuff for your first few games.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Giving a try of Luchador! on my stream tonight. Trip report incoming. Looks to be a fairly simple dice game. Ran Heroes Wanted Monday which turned out pretty good. I've played it before and probably the best part of the game is the randomness of villain and hero cards. Missions seem fairly balanced. Quirk cards really add something and force people to pay attention to the game and not their cell phone when its not their turn.

What are people's thoughts on Alchemists?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bottom Liner posted:

This is the best guide I've seen on how to play Mage Knight. If that doesn't help, though, you should try Ricky Royal's guide. Just be prepared to invest four hours.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Mage Knight is pretty daunting at first, but most of the systems just seem to click after a little while. I would totally avoid player vs player stuff for your first few games.

Avoid PvP in general. Mage Knight is a much better game co-op than competitive.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
I found the pvp enjoyable but we use the handicap variants where you put the mana crystals on the fame track. It adds a good amount of tension.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Jedit posted:

This is the best guide I've seen on how to play Mage Knight. If that doesn't help, though, you should try Ricky Royal's guide. Just be prepared to invest four hours.

Um that first link goes to a video that doesnt seem to have anything to do with Mage Knight.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Meta commentary. Take away from it what you will.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Paperback has a semi-random market and is really quite good, but its a word game first and deckbuilder second.

Seconding that Valley of the Kings surprised me but I haven't played it enough yet.

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!

Bubble-T posted:

Paperback has a semi-random market and is really quite good, but its a word game first and deckbuilder second.

Seconding that Valley of the Kings surprised me but I haven't played it enough yet.

Oh poo poo, there's a word game deckbuilder? i love both of those things somebody tell me more about it.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Robust Laser posted:

Oh poo poo, there's a word game deckbuilder? i love both of those things somebody tell me more about it.

I played it a few weeks back, it's definitely interesting. If you have friends who are DBG fans and want a quick 30-45 min game this likely isn't it; as mentioned above it's a word game first, so sometimes players take very long turns figuring out what all their options are with the letters in their hand.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Robust Laser posted:

Get it. It doesn't overstay its welcome and it works just fine. It is not the epitome of gaming, but it is lovely.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Robust Laser posted:

You start with a deck of basic letters and wilds, and your ability to use cards is gated by having to make a word with them. Using a card in your word gets you both the action and the money from that card. Actions are mostly basic stuff like "draw one more card next hand", "double the value of an adjacent letter" or "trash an unused card to gain more money". VP are accrued either by generating enough money to buy special wild cards that have VP on them, or by making increasingly longer words to gain cards from a 'common vowel' stack.

It's easy to teach, the art is cute, it throws up a surprising level of word building challenge, deckbuilding is important but not overwhelmingly so and it avoids the scrabble "memorise all the two letter words" trap in that longer words are almost always better. The one drawback is that optimising your turn can take a while, but it's fine in two player and there's a neat simultaneous-play variant that helps a bit too.

Only reliable way to get it is by ordering direct from the designer: https://www.paperbackgame.com/

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Anyone played all of CO2, Kanban, and Vinhos and have a favorite?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I played Paperback this past weekend with some people who are getting into the hobby, and it turned into a slog. Rather than trying to end the game by exhausting the Fame card piles, the couple bought literally every 2, 3, and 4 cost card first. I think I may need to implement a house rule similar to Dominion where the game ends after 2 piles period are exhausted. Other than that, fine game. Offers a lot of modules out of the box, so you definitely get your money's worth out of it.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Shadow225 posted:

I played Paperback this past weekend with some people who are getting into the hobby, and it turned into a slog. Rather than trying to end the game by exhausting the Fame card piles, the couple bought literally every 2, 3, and 4 cost card first. I think I may need to implement a house rule similar to Dominion where the game ends after 2 piles period are exhausted. Other than that, fine game. Offers a lot of modules out of the box, so you definitely get your money's worth out of it.

This can happen with every deckbuilder, even Dominion. When I teach it to total newbies I usually let them explore for a bit and buy equally random stuff so I don't just crush them, then start pushing the pace before the game actually turns in to a dreadful "we all have 2 copies of each card and no purchasing power" quagmire.

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

So boardgoons, is Hegemonic any good? It's 75% off at Miniaturmarket today.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anyone have any opinions on Caverna vs Agricola? Aside from the price difference ($40 vs $87), which would you recommend?

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Personally I think Caverna is like a giant wood/plastic hybrid monster vomiting all over the board but I know some people prefer it to Agricola. They're similar enough that it's hard to explain succinctly which one you'll like more, but also different enough that people have strong opinions on which is better.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Razor Jacksuit posted:

So boardgoons, is Hegemonic any good? It's 75% off at Miniaturmarket today.

Its like Eclipse but different in every way. Also no dice. Also I literally cannot remember anything from my playsession of it despite winning the game. Despite that godawful bipolar review, it's definitely worth picking up at that price.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Bottom Liner posted:

Anyone have any opinions on Caverna vs Agricola? Aside from the price difference ($40 vs $87), which would you recommend?

I think the real main difference is that you have a lot more information and games can play out a lot more similarly in Caverna because you can see all the tiles to begin with. By comparison, in Agricola, you draft from a huge pile of cards every game and you don't necessarily know what people have or what could come out. They're both fine games but I tend to prefer 'gric because of the cards... though I do like dwarves and mining.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Bottom Liner posted:

I prefer Agricola, but I'm also a masochist who likes being under the constant pressure of imminent failure. Caverna is a lot more lenient since it gives you more options to not fail, but my option to not fail is to just not suck at playing boardgames and feed your goddamn family, even if they have to eat Bessie the house cow. Also the price difference is because Caverna's bits are better than Agricola's, but I think you can (or at least once had the option to) buy a supplemental bits pack. I've only played the base, so I'll let others talk about Agricola's various expansions.

Note that Agricola is getting some sort of definitive edition or whatever next yearish so that it's more "tournament viable" or whatever. I realize that a year is a long time to not own/play a game you want to play, but I know some people would care about these things since board game resell is kinda difficult.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

Note that Agricola is getting some sort of definitive edition or whatever next yearish so that it's more "tournament viable" or whatever. I realize that a year is a long time to not own/play a game you want to play, but I know some people would care about these things since board game resell is kinda difficult.
Hmm, that's interesting. I'll probably stick to the iPad version until I see more about this. Thanks.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bottom Liner posted:

If you want to spend a pleasant evening simulating the building of a small community, play Caverna. If you want to spend two hours hating your friends and calling them cunts, play Agricola.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Bought Sushi Go. Played Sushi Go. Lots of fun was had.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.

Bottom Liner posted:

For me, Agricola is like cooking a three course meal. I enjoy cooking, and I like the stress of it. I'm not a bad cook so I usually produce a good, wholesome meal, but it's also possible to gently caress everything up and produce something terrible. Players get only what they're given and it's up to them to make the best of it.

Caverna on the other hand is like a Chinese all-you-can-eat buffet. Everything is available to you right from the start, you can eat whatever you like to satisfy your hunger and all that's left for you to think about is what order you want to eat everything in.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

elgarbo posted:

Bought Sushi Go. Played Sushi Go. Lots of fun was had.

It's like 7 Wonders but takes about 10 minutes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Played a couple games of Eminent Domain last night after having it for about 8 months; consensus was it's not bad so i'll be grabbing the expansion when I find it, since the base game doesn't feel like it has a lot of replay ability - as mentioned, but we did like the whole role selection aspect of it since it's kind of nice to not really have dead time outside of someone dealing with technology.

Also got another game of Tash kalar in with a 3p melee, I didn't do well though since the other players were using actions to basically just kill one piece of mine each turn - so they didn't get any points for it but it kept me hard up for being able to actually do something. Sort of sucked. I did manage to pull out a dual legendary summon turn late game though - and it let me pull off a dual legendary piece kill in one turn - one for each opponent. Angel of death is pretty nice for letting you upgrade someone else's piece and then combat leap onto it.