Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
that survey thing said I should vote for all the parties. I havent been voting because I seriously have no clue about alberta politics. In BC there was a new scandal every day. Out here it's much more boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

So pick up my kart in two weeks. Going to buy an 80s Chevy Astro off a family friend. Pretty stoked this is coming together so nicely.

The last question is do I nerd out and buy this as my karting suit: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Martini-kart...=item4d2c031e1f

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just put the summers on my speed, so my apologies in advance if we end up with four weeks of snow

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

1500quidporsche posted:

80s Chevy Astro

K let me know when you're ready to get an LM7/LQ4 from the junkyard. :getin:
Seriously though, hauling a shifter kart around is probably the coolest thing an Astrovan can do (aside from LS-powered burnouts)

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

MrChips posted:

I'd be down for the 25th, but my weekends these days are pretty jammed so I probably wouldn't be able to make it until early evening, say about 8ish.

Tommychu posted:

25th works for me. Granted I don't have any weekend plans in the near future (beyond the random crap I can do whenever) so just about any weekend prior to June works for me.

Right, looks like you two and potentially SSS can make it for that day.

:siren: First annual Alberta AI goonmeat @ Slung's house April 25th :siren:

What do you guys want to do, bring a project of your own to work at in my garage, help me with the Coronet, work on something else? Or we could just chill out and light things on fire.

Preference for food? Steaks sound good? I could do a smoked prime rib if we get more than 4 of us.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Slung Blade posted:

What do you guys want to do, bring a project of your own to work at in my garage, help me with the Coronet, work on something else? Or we could just chill out and light things on fire.

Preference for food? Steaks sound good? I could do a smoked prime rib if we get more than 4 of us.

Coronet. I haven't played with anything pre-malaise American since, poo poo high school? Plus I just finished all the fun stuff on the Lexus and nothing on my Kia is ever fun.
And whatever you feel like cooking is fine by me.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I wish I could make it but I'm neck deep in home renovations so I can sell the single car and move up to a double at the minimum (plus a hoist). I'll be in your neck of the woods lots this summer though!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I don't really know you or where you live but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted at least a bit. I'm up to my neck in finishing my current course and my final is that Monday, so I really can't spare a day or two to BS unfortunately.

Mothafukin' macroeconomics is going to take everything I've got to pass the final :(

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I'm about twenty minutes east of Calgary's city limits

No worries for those of you who can't come this time, I'll try to do more of these at times more amenable to the student lifestyle. I've completely forgotten what school timelines are like, I'm pretty far removed from that life. So old :smith:

Also the only other goon I know outside the internet is SSS, so I'm sure there will be awkward conversation and terrible jokes aplenty.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'll pretty much guarantee that I'm older than you, just getting my degree via AU and some of it is kicking my rear end. I'm an excellent procrastinator, so I find the best way for me to get something done is give me a hard deadline and book the exam(s), that way I am handcuffed to doing it. Just so happens one of these times is the end of the month.

I've only met a couple Alberta guys myself, Drake and a guy from CA, Phy. Others have all been dudes traveling through Alberta from the US.

Drake is a nice guy and all, he offers me a drink each time which is awesome and very friendly. But every time it's seems like the clock jumps ahead 4 hours or so and I'm all groggy afterwards for some reason. :(

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

slidebite posted:

I've only met a couple Alberta guys myself, Drake and a guy from CA, Phy. Others have all been dudes traveling through Alberta from the US.

poo poo, forgot that I've met drake too. Granted it was for all of ten minutes in a hotel parking lot in the dead of winter...

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Goon meetings are always awkward (and goony) as gently caress. I've met SSS and a handful of non-AI goons, and it's always the same: real name or "Hi, I'm, uh... I'm "ExecuDork" on the... uh... the forums... ?"

I'll be in AB from early May until late August with a few possible long-weekend type blocks of time off. A get-together in July or August - assuming everyone survives the 25th and no houses burn down - would be something I could do.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Car guys tend to be a bit less internetty than other forum type people. We're still geeks but we don't ride the bus at least.

I'd come out if I lived closer.

On a side note I joined the gpmra rc racers club. If I had stuck to rc cars instead of 800hp fox mustangs I'd probably be paying off my third house by now. I just broke my one off road car in half last night. Oops. There goes $30.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

1500quidporsche posted:

So pick up my kart in two weeks. Going to buy an 80s Chevy Astro off a family friend. Pretty stoked this is coming together so nicely.

The last question is do I nerd out and buy this as my karting suit: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Martini-kart...=item4d2c031e1f

Oh god you're living my dream. A kart in a van :shobon:. And gently caress yes do that martini suit. Which kart did you get? Is it possible to do it in a martini livery?

slidebite posted:

Drake is a nice guy and all, he offers me a drink each time which is awesome and very friendly. But every time it's seems like the clock jumps ahead 4 hours or so and I'm all groggy afterwards for some reason. :(

You just have a low tolerance for rohypnol

Slung Blade posted:

poo poo, forgot that I've met drake too. Granted it was for all of ten minutes in a hotel parking lot in the dead of winter...

haha, yeah. Sorry I wasn't more social - the wife was worried it would be me getting shoved in the back of a van for once.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

DrakeriderCa posted:

haha, yeah. Sorry I wasn't more social - the wife was worried it would be me getting shoved in the back of a van for once.

You were plenty social considering the weather and pitch blackness.

Yeah, I know it was totally legal, but I dunno, it somehow seemed sketchy.

(And these guys have no idea what we're taking about :v: )

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Tommychu posted:

K let me know when you're ready to get an LM7/LQ4 from the junkyard. :getin:
Seriously though, hauling a shifter kart around is probably the coolest thing an Astrovan can do (aside from LS-powered burnouts)

Will a V8 actually fit? I know the V6 is just a V8 with two cylinders cut out. I was thinking about doing something like that down the line but I imagine the snub nose design of those vans would make packaging a bit tricky. Have to take a closer look. Going to be hitting the ground running building a little platform in the interior to hold the kart and store tools.

DrakeriderCa posted:

Oh god you're living my dream. A kart in a van :shobon:. And gently caress yes do that martini suit. Which kart did you get? Is it possible to do it in a martini livery?

I don't know the chassis but the engine is a basic 125cc Rotax two stroke. I don't see why you couldn't do a Martini livery, I'll have to look at the rules for fake sponsors though. I was going to make my own livery but honestly its not like I'm going to get any real sponsors for the foreseeable future, it'd be more fun having a martini livery.

Edit: worth noting the guy I'm buying the kart from has an old suit with an AGIP patch on it. Had no clue how cool that was or what AGIP was, he just bought it off eBay because it was cheap.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 13, 2015

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

1500quidporsche posted:

Will a V8 actually fit? I know the V6 is just a V8 with two cylinders cut out. I was thinking about doing something like that down the line but I imagine the snub nose design of those vans would make packaging a bit tricky. Have to take a closer look. Going to be hitting the ground running building a little platform in the interior to hold the kart and store tools.

I don't know the chassis but the engine is a basic 125cc Rotax two stroke. I don't see why you couldn't do a Martini livery, I'll have to look at the rules for fake sponsors though. I was going to make my own livery but honestly its not like I'm going to get any real sponsors for the foreseeable future, it'd be more fun having a martini livery.

Edit: worth noting the guy I'm buying the kart from has an old suit with an AGIP patch on it. Had no clue how cool that was or what AGIP was, he just bought it off eBay because it was cheap.

A buddy of mine is a quadriplegic. He owns the fastest safari/astro van in the world. It features a suicide knob steering wheel, wheelchair load and unload lift, full front to back cage, tubbed rear with 4-link suspension, and large v8 with kenne bell (or Whipple?) Blower. So yeah a v8 can fit.

Oops I lied. I think its the fastest wheelchair ramp equipped vehicle in the world.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 13, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

DrakeriderCa posted:

So how does it feel for once?

HOW DOES IT FEEL???

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

slidebite posted:

So how does it feel for once?

HOW DOES IT FEEL???

Do it right and they don't feel a thing :getin:

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Slung Blade posted:

I'll join the list just to pad the numbers for smoked prime rib. I can probably grab some deserts or beer, anything else might not survive the drive from Edmonton.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

True story: Spent the night at Drakes house and there was a bottle of astroglide on my nightstand.

I did feel... OK.. the next morning... if a little dirty.

Breakfast delicious albeit awkward.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

slidebite posted:

True story: Spent the night at Drakes house and there was a bottle of astroglide on my nightstand.

Goons love their stairs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxIj1PgOTEU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

1500quidporsche posted:

Will a V8 actually fit?

Gen1s are a bafflingly popular swap, gen3s are a little more involved (gotta play legos with accessory brackets and manifolds, and a little extra electrical fun) but you can't not gen3/4 these days.
They're a little heavy for their diffs when you start throwing real power at them though, so a diff upgrade of some sort is recommended. I think later Safaris got a heavier rear that may or may not bolt in.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Good to know. I honestly never thought I'd drive a car as slow as the Taurus again, but here I am buying a 4000lb Van with 150 HP :smithicide:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

All of this is actually 100% true

Except the awkward part. My wife is very understanding.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I don't know about any other stores, but the Franklin Crappy-T is blowing out the last of their IR stock. Just picked up an air ratchet for $50 and they had a few of those $220 composite 1/2" impacts up for $90 (the aluminum housing version was $70). Short barrel air hammers were $30 and they had 1/4" angle grinders for $40. It's all in a big pile by the seasonal department.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just get the AWD version. Then the load is shared by 2 diffs.

The transfer case in those is pretty strong.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
I fell back into an old habit and currently trying to buy a cheap Miata. Should know by the end of the week. This one is so rust free it makes me cry.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

iv46vi posted:

I fell back into an old habit and currently trying to buy a cheap Miata. Should know by the end of the week. This one is so rust free it makes me cry.

Buy the miata and bring it out. Hopefully switch will bring his too.

I'll make the prime rib and some roasted potatoes for a side. If you guys bring some sides/drinks/desserts, we'll be in fine shape.

Also bring a lawn chair and maybe a sleeping bag or something if you intend on drinking a lot, taxi service out here is pricy, and there is no public transit.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Pickin up the van saturday

Absolutely stoked.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Pickin up the van saturday

Absolutely stoked.

Nice! Those things are loving tanks. I spent 4+ years in one of those as a kid making monthly runs from Moose Jaw to Edmonton - I don't remember a single hiccup (neither do my folks). We lost track of it after our cousins traded it in with 900000km on it.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

My folks had one that was an absolute garbage pile. Stupid AWD never worked right and it would cost them hundreds every time they took it in for service.

They should have gone to the mechanic across the road, the dude is awesome, and I still go to him for all the work that I can throw his way.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

My folks had one that was an absolute garbage pile. Stupid AWD never worked right and it would cost them hundreds every time they took it in for service.

My bad - I totally forgot this would be the AWD version and not the RWD. I have zero experience with the GM AWD version.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Mines RWD. I think GM contracted out the AWD system would would explain why it was so miserable.

Its front mid engine so working on it should be "interesting". But its only got 178,000km on it and at $900 I really have nothing to complain about. Interior looks like it just came out of the factory.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
When you first get it, do a brake stand launch and see if you have heavy duty rear springs or not.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

When you first get it, do a brake stand launch and see if you have heavy duty rear springs or not.

Ideally with video evidence so that we can keep the burnout theme going in the post your own ride thread.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Saw a Ferrari F12 at the car wash this morning, so there's obviously still money somewhere in this province.

It was a lot smaller than i expected.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I saw an SLS-AMG out of nowhere in Lethbridge yesterday.

Not the best looking car but it had a glorious bark.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Also, someone must vote this glorious bastard in. That's the most powerful beard I've seen in sometime, even more so than Drakes.

http://www.albertandp.ca/shayeanderson

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Physical education diploma and telecommunications tech for telus.

Yeah, that explains their service.