Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Onmi posted:

This is a man who once painted himself up half in black face to build to a feud of punching Mr.T

He doesn't give a poo poo about what's politically correct. he'd never have been able to be a heel if he did.

He painted himself half-black when he was feuding with Bad News Brown, because Brown was mixed race. And Piper was the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Yuriy posted:

like actually racist or "he said things i dont agree with politically"?

i dont listen to his podcast

Bad News Allen absolutely hated Piper in the 80s because of his racism. Obviously that was a long time ago but Piper doesn't seem like a guy that has changed too much. Now if you stopped listening to all of the wrestling podcasts run by racists your listening options would be limited. Today he's a harmless old loon who no one takes seriously anyway so let him tell his stories.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Some people might call it racist (quite reasonable btw), but Piper telling everyone in some Mexican arena to be quiet so he can play the Mexican National Anthem, and then he plays La Cucaracha sounds like the biggest heel move/heat getter in history. I looked for video after I heard the story but could not find it. I bet the crowd booed so hard the building shook.

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

MassRafTer posted:

Bad News Allen absolutely hated Piper in the 80s because of his racism.

To be fair, the list of people Bad News didn't hate in the 80's because of racism is pretty short.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

some really interesting discussion on the wwe lawsuits/concussions in the bryan, dave and lance show up today

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mr. Swoon posted:

To be fair, the list of people Bad News didn't hate in the 80's because of racism is pretty short.

Piper was one of the guys he had specific issues with during their feud (and wrestlers were pretty loving racist in the 80s.)

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

MassRafTer posted:

Piper was one of the guys he had specific issues with during their feud (and wrestlers were pretty loving racist in the 80s.)

WWE management is apparently still pretty racist, but the wrestlers are less so now! Small victories!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ribsauce posted:

Some people might call it racist (quite reasonable btw), but Piper telling everyone in some Mexican arena to be quiet so he can play the Mexican National Anthem, and then he plays La Cucaracha sounds like the biggest heel move/heat getter in history. I looked for video after I heard the story but could not find it. I bet the crowd booed so hard the building shook.

This happened in SoCal in the Olympic Arena in L.A. He came out to apologize for his actions because he was in a heated feud with Chavo Guerrero Sr. As a way of apologizing, he requested silence so he could play their anthem. Then he played La Cucaracha, as you said. Apparently people were furious, bring a gun to the matches furious.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Oh drat, I guess I screwed up the details, but that still owns. I cannot believe there isn't video of this anywhere.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Ribsauce posted:

Oh drat, I guess I screwed up the details, but that still owns. I cannot believe there isn't video of this anywhere.

Unfortunately that goes for a lot of the territories.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Is Lance chopping wood during his interview on the Observer today? :confused:

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Damnit Lance quit being to stereotypically Canadian

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
What happened with Todd?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

mkay0 posted:

What happened with Todd?

He sucked and Mike Coughlin sacrificed himself to tell him he sucked and now we don't have to deal with Todd anymore but I have lost Mike.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Todd was the best guy they had

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Todd was never going to get better than his in depth analysis on the legality of forced time displacement.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

El Gallinero Gros posted:

This happened in SoCal in the Olympic Arena in L.A. He came out to apologize for his actions because he was in a heated feud with Chavo Guerrero Sr. As a way of apologizing, he requested silence so he could play their anthem. Then he played La Cucaracha, as you said. Apparently people were furious, bring a gun to the matches furious.

now that's what i call good heat

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

so todd quit? because im 100% okay with that

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I will miss Todd. One of my favorite shows every week for a while now.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cardboard Box posted:

so todd quit? because im 100% okay with that

But where will we hear a guy with an atrocious voice who cannot form arguments (debating with the one person on the planet worse than him at doing so) and with basically zero knowledge of MMA despite writing about it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Free Buddy Wayne.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MassRafTer posted:

But where will we hear a guy with an atrocious voice who cannot form arguments (debating with the one person on the planet worse than him at doing so) and with basically zero knowledge of MMA despite writing about it.

*insert Bryan Alvarez joke here*

(follow with)

*Bryan doesn't write his own Newsletter joke*

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

He sucked and Mike Coughlin sacrificed himself to tell him he sucked and now we don't have to deal with Todd anymore but I have lost Mike.

I love that the whole thing blew up because a handicapped kid was gifted a feel-good win in an amateur wrestling match and Todd said he would've learned more by being pinned quick.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

sportsgenius86 posted:

I love that the whole thing blew up because a handicapped kid was gifted a feel-good win in an amateur wrestling match and Todd said he would've learned more by being pinned quick.

I missed what the whole blowout was about, so uh, what the hell?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Austin gives a really good off-the-cuff critique about the Ziggler/Neville match on his latest podcast. He makes a big point of talking about how good both guys are and how much potential they have before pointing out the stuff that he thinks they got wrong or should have done differently, and it all makes a hell of a lot of sense.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I missed what the whole blowout was about, so uh, what the hell?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-pInwGuhJw&t=46s

Todd Martin posted:

I think there's a greater human dignity and pride to be celebrated in trying and failing in competition than being gifted something out of pity. Just my 2 cents.

Mike Coughlin posted:

Cannot fathom ppl actually being upset at people being nice to a kid whose every day life is an unfathomable struggle of poo poo.

I'm sure he really needs to learn those valuable life lessons about how failing and getting back up is a good thing. Wait. No. He probably learns that when trying to use a fork. Or putting on his pants. Or showering. Or wiping his rear end.

But. Yes. Lets just put him on the mat and beat his rear end in 5 seconds. It'll help build his character.

Todd Martin posted:

I know the board isn't the place to be addressing serious philosophical arguments, what with assholes trying to score cheap points. But I absolutely stand by my point. And I think it ought to be self evident that my original point was not an endorsement of humiliating the child. If the other kid hadn't let him win, the audience all could have still given him a standing ovation for his effort, as I mentioned before. And then the audience would have been cheering for something real that he accomplished rather than for something fake that he didn't.

Mike Coughlin posted:

Next time that kid with CP has to spend 45 minutes putting on his shoes Todd will come along and tie the laces together to teach him a lesson.

Mike Coughlin posted:

If Todd was the king in 300 he'd have put that little deformed midget guy on the front lines of battle.

It goes on and on but basically Todd is a sperglord.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

sportsgenius86 posted:

It goes on and on but basically Todd is a sperglord.

Name one writer or podcaster for WON that's not.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Dave gettin' real sassy on the podcast today.

Also I want a supercut of all the times he analyses workers bodies, it always makes me laugh.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

triplexpac posted:

Dave gettin' real sassy on the podcast today.

Also I want a supercut of all the times he analyses workers bodies, it always makes me laugh.

"Well, um...I think because she's kind of naturally pale that -- that without the fake tan she looks pale"

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Todd should apply for Taz's job

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Dave trying to not be subtle was great.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

My favorite part of WOR is all 1998 WCW questions that come the show after Tuesday Nitro.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Todd Martin thinks that Triple H should've no-sold Connor the Crusher's punch and beat the poo poo out of him.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

ThePariah posted:

Todd Martin thinks that Triple H should've no-sold Connor the Crusher's punch and beat the poo poo out of him.

well no one is gonna buy a little dying kid beating the king of kings, the cerebral assassin, the asskicker, the game

its just unrealistic

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Arbite posted:

Dave trying to not be subtle was great.

This was great. I'm not pullin' this stuff out of Fantasy Island.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Tato posted:

This was great. I'm not pullin' this stuff out of Fantasy Island.

All the goofs on twitter calling Dave out because they can't read/listen gets to him.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Cactus Jack posted:

All the goofs on twitter calling Dave out because they can't read/listen gets to him.

haha I was wondering if there was something specifically setting him off today

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Cactus Jack posted:

And half of those goofs probably don't have or are too cheap to spend :10bux: + 1, so they're just going on what various newz sites have C & P'ed from WOR and the newsletter.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Is that why Bryan prefaces everything he says on the radio with "now don't report this as news, this is just my wild speculation, but"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Luigi Thirty posted:

Is that why Bryan prefaces everything he says on the radio with "now don't report this as news, this is just my wild speculation, but"

Yes that is exactly why. Dave does it a lot too because people report him incorrectly as gospel

• Locked thread