Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Got the Reggie Mii from SpotPass, bought the new games and installed them, went back to my Plaza to start using Reggie to try out the new games, and...he's counted as being used now.

Yay. :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I bought Streetpass VIP because it says it gives you more tickets than the rest of the games if you fill out your calendar and I love playing dressup :buddy:

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Related question, can I remove the first set of the extra StreetPass games? Will I lose puzzle panel progress? That's the only thing I care about really.

Yes, the update adds a "vault" which you can store any number of games in. Games in the vault can still be played, and their progress is kept, but you won't be prompted to play them (when you try to streetpass with more people it doesn't bring up the "Wait! you haven't used your people for everything yet!" message) and they are removed from the bottom screen.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

LanceKing2200 posted:

Yes, the update adds a "vault" which you can store any number of games in. Games in the vault can still be played, and their progress is kept, but you won't be prompted to play them (when you try to streetpass with more people it doesn't bring up the "Wait! you haven't used your people for everything yet!" message) and they are removed from the bottom screen.

:aaaaa:

Thank you Nintendo.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I bought the VIP upgrade because I'm a consumer whore

EDIT: WHY DON'T I GET THE BIRTHDAYS OF THE THOUSAND MIIS I'VE ALREADY STREETPASSED WITH IN MY CALENDAR? NINTENDO! :argh:

They added some new options to the old games. So now in Flower Town you can hit Invite Max and instantly have ten dudes, instead of sitting through a ton of pointless menus. Sweet!

EDIT2: The Streetpass games run much quicker and smoother now. Maybe they updated them to recognize the New 3DS?

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 16, 2015

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

I didn't mind dropping $6.99 and $4.99 on the three new StreetPass things.

Portfolio
Dec 10, 2004
The Department of Redundancy Department
Now that there are some good options for region-free out there, I'm thinking of taking the plunge and importing either an Australian or European New 3DS. Which is going to be cheaper? What are some reputable places to be looking?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Apparently if you previously bought the Street Pass games already released, you save another dollar off the combo pack of the two? Can anybody confirm that?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Astro7x posted:

Apparently if you previously bought the Street Pass games already released, you save another dollar off the combo pack of the two? Can anybody confirm that?

Yes. The normal price for individual games is 5 dollars each. The normal bundle if you didn't buy the previous games cuts off 2 dollars so you pay 8. But if you already bought the other 4 games you have access to a special "Thank you!" bundle that only costs 7 dollars.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How are the StreetPass games compared to Find Mii? I'm thinking about getting them since I get hits every morning passing by a McDonalds relay. Is there a discount to buy both sets together?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

SeANMcBAY posted:

How are the StreetPass games compared to Find Mii? I'm thinking about getting them since I get hits every morning passing by a McDonalds relay. Is there a discount to buy both sets together?

They are boring pointless trash.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Portfolio posted:

Now that there are some good options for region-free out there, I'm thinking of taking the plunge and importing either an Australian or European New 3DS. Which is going to be cheaper? What are some reputable places to be looking?

i didnt think the new 3ds had any region free options at the moment but i also dont pay that much attention to that poo poo

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Portfolio posted:

Unless I missed something, the "region-three" exploit does not work on the New 3DS's because of the new browser and nintendo recently patching it out on the older 3DS's because it introduced another exploit that circumvented the in-game purchasing in Pokemon Shuffle.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

The fishing one is decent. You pass people, get bait, and catch fish. It's at least more involved than the flower game.

The zombie game is a hack and slash, and I really enjoy it. It's easily my new favorite.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Canned Panda posted:

The fishing one is decent. You pass people, get bait, and catch fish. It's at least more involved than the flower game.

The zombie game is a hack and slash, and I really enjoy it. It's easily my new favorite.

How are the older games?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Finally got a NN3DS, called Nintendo to have them move my stuff to the new system and apparently it takes 2 to 3 business days. Glad I picked up Majoras Mask to play in the meantime.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

they're all decent except warrior's way imo

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Variable_H posted:

Finally got a NN3DS, called Nintendo to have them move my stuff to the new system and apparently it takes 2 to 3 business days. Glad I picked up Majoras Mask to play in the meantime.

Won't that delete your MM save data when they do the move? :ohdear:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

im assuming he got the cart

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Awesome! posted:

gently caress that bullshit shallow loving game. Clearly that's the one they considered the "freebie" when selling all 4 for $15.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Red Robin Hood posted:

Won't that delete your MM save data when they do the move? :ohdear:

If it is physical nope

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Awesome! posted:

im assuming he got the cart

I did.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Awesome! posted:

Yeah Warriors Way is garbage. It's literally just "do you have enough people yet? If so, trounce the enemy and move on. If not welp wait for more street passes". I'll get it beat eventually just because it's only a matter of time, but there's nothing really fun about it.

My next least favorite is Mii Force but that's only because it's severely limited by how the streetpass process works. It's a 2D shooter game where you have a space ship with no weapons, and get a new weapon for each person you streetpass. You customize your weapon layout as you pick them up in the level and go around killing things. Getting hit makes you lose one of your weapons and if you lose them all you die. The actual levels are fun, but since a ton of the plaza tickets require you to get high scores, you really need to be able to practice the levels. But since you can't replay levels without getting more streetpasses it's too troublesome to try and actually master them.

Flower Town I really like. It's very relaxing and there's a decent amount of strategy to breeding new flowers. I'm starting to get to the point where I can't be guaranteed to get new breeds every time so I have to figure out how the best way to get more is. It's not particularly deep either but it has a lot of little optional stuff to do like jobs and decorations to buy so I enjoy it.

Monster Manor is probably the "best" one, at least the most fleshed out. It's basically a mini-RPG where you put down floor panels you get from streetpass and gather and upgrade guns to fight enemies in pseudo-turn based combat. The weapon upgrade system being randomized is its biggest flaw (for instance I have really lovely cold based weapons and there's nothing I can do to get better ones except hope I get lucky and find one in a chest) but it's still fun and you're almost always making some progress.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Do you actually get to fish? I love fishing. And fishing in games.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

hadji murad posted:

Do you actually get to fish? I love fishing. And fishing in games.

The casting is done for you. You set the hook and reel it in. It deals with the fish fighting and getting tired, the fish getting away if it goes far enough and you run out of line on your spool, the line breaking, and stuff like that. You "reel" the fish either by moving the circle pad in circles or spinning the reel on the touchscreen.

Portfolio
Dec 10, 2004

Awesome! posted:

i didnt think the new 3ds had any region free options at the moment but i also dont pay that much attention to that poo poo

There's a piracy-free custom firmware option that requires a specific retail cart, and there's also a flashcart option. Both work on N3DS, and I believe both require 9.2 firmware or lower.

That's not the important part, though. What is the best way to get a PAL system in North America? EU or AUS, it doesn't matter — although I'd prefer EU because it'll presumably be cheaper.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

Flower Town I really like. It's very relaxing and there's a decent amount of strategy to breeding new flowers. I'm starting to get to the point where I can't be guaranteed to get new breeds every time so I have to figure out how the best way to get more is. It's not particularly deep either but it has a lot of little optional stuff to do like jobs and decorations to buy so I enjoy it.

I'm still 30 breeds from being done, but I just can't get any new ones, so I'm just getting every colour. It's still a lot of fun, but I wish you could get even more gardens, I need to hoard ALL the flowers.

AbsolutZeroGI
Sep 14, 2013

Don't tease the octopus kids!

Anora posted:

In EO4 there is a story, but a lot of it it "hey, go here," then you grind for an hour to get there, then it says "hey, go here," again, rinse and repeat. Throw in a few boss fights along the way and that's the game.

Yeah that's why I avoided the series until I heard about Untold. The characters are pretty fun. A little 2D but still better than faceless people yknow? A little more meat to chew on while walking everywhere. Also, auto walking ftw!

Can't wait for Untold 2 which I guess is on preorders right now. Or close to it? It's on amazon kinda.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

There's story in every EO game, it's just not so in your face and basic as it is in Untold. It's mainly about exploring some sweet dungeons.

But Untold 2 has a summer release date, or a 2016 date for EU...

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

SeANMcBAY posted:

How are the older games?

• Warrior's Way is glorified rock paper scissors where you can get soldiers through streetpasses / defeating other people that influence your chances of winning the rock paper scissors. Boring as hell.
  • Flower Town is where you grow plants and streetpasses cross pollinate your plants so you can grow new plants and become a ~*~MASTER GARDENER~*~ when you plant all the plants. Also boring as hell, but not as bad as Warrior's Way.
  • Mii Force is a space shooter where you can get more powerups on your ship the more streetpasses you have. The streetpass powerups also serve as extra lives for you, when you get hit you lose a powerup and when you lose all the powerups you die. I rather like it but it seems to get a bad rap around the thread.
  • Monster Manor is an exploration game where you explore a haunted house. Streetpasses give you tetris style blocks that expose the map tiles. Each room created by the blocks can have treasure or monsters that you have to battle, and you get to the next floor when you expose the tile that has stairs. The best of the four IMO.

Regy Rusty posted:

My next least favorite is Mii Force but that's only because it's severely limited by how the streetpass process works. It's a 2D shooter game where you have a space ship with no weapons, and get a new weapon for each person you streetpass. You customize your weapon layout as you pick them up in the level and go around killing things. Getting hit makes you lose one of your weapons and if you lose them all you die. The actual levels are fun, but since a ton of the plaza tickets require you to get high scores, you really need to be able to practice the levels. But since you can't replay levels without getting more streetpasses it's too troublesome to try and actually master them.

You really don't need to practice all that much if you're remotely decent at shooters. You may have to replay levels to get all the diamonds / try for a perfect run, but when has anyone complained about replay value before? Even if you do need to practice, you can always use play coins.

Speaking of which, you can use play coins in place of streetpasses for all these games.

raditts fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 17, 2015

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

gently caress u

i honestly believe african aids cum is just taint reaper or taint reaper's less subtle roommate who dreams of taking the throne

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

So just to make sure I understand this all correctly, I shouldn't purchase any digital content of any kind, including themes, until my old NNID is finished being linked to the new system, right?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Variable_H posted:

So just to make sure I understand this all correctly, I shouldn't purchase any digital content of any kind, including themes, until my old NNID is finished being linked to the new system, right?

Correct. No eshop games, themes, virtual console, in-game DLC, nothing.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

raditts posted:

You really don't need to practice all that much if you're remotely decent at shooters. You may have to replay levels to get all the diamonds / try for a perfect run, but when has anyone complained about replay value before? Even if you do need to practice, you can always use play coins.

I found it really tedious to go days/weeks between attempts at a level. So I quit doing it once I beat all of them once. I can't personally feel compelled to try to get perfect scores on levels when I can't try them over and over back to back until I get good at them.

Also my playcoins are always saved up for a different game so I don't want to use them for that one.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Portfolio posted:

There's a piracy-free custom firmware option that requires a specific retail cart, and there's also a flashcart option. Both work on N3DS, and I believe both require 9.2 firmware or lower.

That's not the important part, though. What is the best way to get a PAL system in North America? EU or AUS, it doesn't matter — although I'd prefer EU because it'll presumably be cheaper.

You glossed over the extremely important part: with the last system update on the n3ds the encryption was changed so the non-flashcart option is locked at 9.2 and future games (likely holiday) and after will flat out not work on the system. Flashcart requires the new keys to be hacked along with a new exploit which breaks saves between a legit and hacked console. Saves on the new keys will not work between the two systems as the hacked will revert to older keys for saving.

N3DS is not region free friendly and do not spend money on one with the expectation of worry-free usability.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I've tried making a home pass, i get a Nintendo zone but no street passes ever come. Anyone have a similar problem?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Tatsuta Age posted:

hmm.. what I ideally want is something to prevent scratches. I'm not worried about dropping it, just it getting scratched up in a bag. some really thin TPU case would be the jam

My one weird trick is to just use the little bag-like soft protector thing the system comes in in its original box. I even applied a piece of self-adhesive velcro tape on the flap bit so I can close it properly. Very ghetto.

It wouldn't protect the 3DS from fall damage or other crazy stuff, but as a scratch protector it's fine.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Battleground Z is kind of amazing, it's like Mii Force but I actually want to play it!

Some of the tickets in Mii Force are so loving stupid, it makes me angry. Seriously, getting all the jewels in each level in one go is bullshit. If you miss one, you can only restart the level by killing yourself and you only get three tries until you either pay a ton of coins for more dudes, or streetpass ten more guys. And a lot of the levels require specific loadouts to get all the jewels which is just idiotic.

Portfolio
Dec 10, 2004

flyboi posted:

You glossed over the extremely important part: with the last system update on the n3ds the encryption was changed so the non-flashcart option is locked at 9.2 and future games (likely holiday) and after will flat out not work on the system. Flashcart requires the new keys to be hacked along with a new exploit which breaks saves between a legit and hacked console. Saves on the new keys will not work between the two systems as the hacked will revert to older keys for saving.

N3DS is not region free friendly and do not spend money on one with the expectation of worry-free usability.

It's OK to just say you don't know where to get a PAL N3DS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot

Help Im Alive posted:

I beat the Puzzles and Dragons Mario demo and it bugs me that I'm probably going to pay actual money for a match 3 game

There's a demo?