Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asclepius Hot Rod
Apr 5, 2009

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

S.M. got interviewed on the Invisibilia podcast, if you want to hear her talk. She has a weird voice, too, kind of scratchy and whispery, but she sounds so drat earnest and wide-eyed about everything. http://www.npr.org/programs/invisibilia/377515477/fearless?showDate=2015-01-16

Her voice being scratchy is due to the same disease that caused her extremely dampened fear response, Urbach-Wiethe disease. The disease is pretty strange in its own right, causing hardened deposits of protein in tissues where soft fatty deposits should be instead. Only like 400 cases reported since it was discovered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Crow Jane posted:

The last bar he drank in is still in operation, though obviously it's changed hands a few times. It's a bit of a tourist trap, and they use the connection as a selling point.

Relatedly, this isn't scary or unnerving, just sort of cool:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe_Toaster

It bums me out that the sons only took a few years to make the tradition stupid. "Dad's been doing this for 50+ years... GO GIANTS"

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

quote:

... in 2006 an unsuccessful attempt was made by several onlookers to detain and identify him.

Why? Why would they do this? He's not hurting anyone.

Also I agree with the poster above me. I never knew Poe personally, obviously, but I feel he wouldn't give two shits about who wins a football game.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

RNG posted:

It bums me out that the sons only took a few years to make the tradition stupid. "Dad's been doing this for 50+ years... GO GIANTS"

The Endbringer posted:

Why? Why would they do this? He's not hurting anyone.

Also I agree with the poster above me. I never knew Poe personally, obviously, but I feel he wouldn't give two shits about who wins a football game.

It's Baltimore. I love this city, but there are a lot of idiots around.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

quote:

A final note—left sometime between 2005 and 2008—was so dismaying, Jerome said, that he decided to fib and announce that no note had been left. He declined to reveal its contents, other than that it was a hint, in hindsight, that an end to the tradition was imminent.

I'd imagine the note was something like "God, gently caress this poo poo already. Not doing this anymore, dad! Don't even know who this Poe fag was, probably some rear end in a top hat. Outtie-5000, BITCHES!"

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

i like ghosts and demon possession related things. i dont actually believe in ghosts or possession but i love the idea and find it fun to pretend-believe. pls post a bunch of really cool stories about ghosts/demon posession and i will, in turn, post a funny animal gif for u. or a spooky gif, if the OP desires.

tia

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

A Spider Covets posted:

i like ghosts and demon possession related things. i dont actually believe in ghosts or possession but i love the idea and find it fun to pretend-believe. pls post a bunch of really cool stories about ghosts/demon posession and i will, in turn, post a funny animal gif for u. or a spooky gif, if the OP desires.

tia

The Borley Rectory was always one of my favorites when I was a kid if only because of all the crazy poo poo that was supposed to happen in and around it

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I spent a whole lot of time googling "malibox bombs" to finally come up with the name Wayne Greavette, who I remembered from some previous thread. There's nothing too overtly strange about it, at least by the standards of this thread: a local Canadian bottled water seller receives a package in the mail ostensibly from somebody looking to get into business with him. The package contained a "gift" of a flashlight, which exploded and killed him while he was trying to turn it on. There are no suspects or leads.

The only thing I remembered from the case was that the note attached was in exceedingly poor taste, and having finally found it again it's worse than I remembered. Whoever killed this guy loving hated him.

The note ends:

quote:

...have a very Merry Christmas and may you never have to buy another flashlight

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Aesop Poprock posted:

The Borley Rectory was always one of my favorites when I was a kid if only because of all the crazy poo poo that was supposed to happen in and around it

this is extremely my poo poo. other goons, please follow suit

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
This was one of my favorite ghost stories when I was a kid. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenbrier_Ghost On the non-SpookyFunStory side of it, I like the implication that the mother's story was just the excuse the prosecutor was looking for to open investigation.

Might want to read this after the wiki page. *shrug* IIRC from the book I read yonks ago, when Shue wanted the boy to go to his house, he had to call around three times. The boy was doing some chores and his mother wouldn't let him go run Mr. Shue's errand until he was done. Shue was really determined not to be the one who found his wife dead.

Filox has a new favorite as of 06:15 on Apr 16, 2015

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Aesop Poprock posted:

Is this what the haunted house in Silent Hill 3 was based on?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

On the nuclear war front I have a fair few books in my office that project the consequences of global thermonuclear war on the USSR and the US. Most of them predict a USSR "recovery" before a US one, with statements like "for some areas of Siberia, the effects of nuclear war will be noticeable as several severe winters". I'll do some scanning at lunch, good creepy stuff.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

lenoon posted:

On the nuclear war front I have a fair few books in my office that project the consequences of global thermonuclear war on the USSR and the US. Most of them predict a USSR "recovery" before a US one, with statements like "for some areas of Siberia, the effects of nuclear war will be noticeable as several severe winters". I'll do some scanning at lunch, good creepy stuff.

Please do! And if you wouldn't mind, could you post the titles of the books? Cold War weirdness is always a fascinating read.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Will do! Might be a big old effort post so will have to scan here and write it up at home. I'll take the two creepiest ones: London after the Bomb and The Nuclear War Game. Mainly because one is basically "this is what will happen to you personally lenoon" and the other is "this is what will happen to the US"

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Self-quotin' from last year:

RNG posted:

Going back a few pages to the bombing of Hiroshima:

One of the all-time scariest historical themes to me is mutually assured destruction, but mostly because it wasn't mutual. Herman Kahn wrote On Thermonuclear War in 1960 for the RAND Corporation as an exploration of the possibility of "winning" a nuclear war. His conclusions were that the best nuclear arsenals in existence couldn't reliably destroy a population that had made basic efforts to prepare for them (fallout shelters, evacuation plans, etc.) and that the first country to launch a nuclear volley was most likely to win the resulting war; it made the most sense to prepare for a "mixed" conflict involving both conventional and nuclear warfare since MAD wasn't a reliable deterrent. The American approach was that the threat of MAD was enough of a deterrent to prevent a nuclear war, as long as the Soviets didn't plan on a mixed war, so we took really half-assed precautions like teaching kids "duck and cover"; after the collapse of the USSR, we found out that they planned on fighting a mixed war.

e: As an equally bleak footnote, The Dead Hand is a fantastic book about the US/USSR arms race, including programs like the Soviet dead hand of the title, a way of ensuring that if the entire Soviet chain of command was obliterated, seismic and radiation sensors would trigger a full nuclear response either without human intervention or with the help of basically anyone with low-level clearance. Unofficially, it's still in existence and still operational.

Also, the Soviets advised Ronald Reagan not to build SDI (the space lasers to blow up incoming missiles), not because it would remove the threat of MAD and provoke America into starting a "winnable" nuclear war, but because they'd already tried it and it didn't work.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

On thermonuclear war is a chilling treatise but I think it doesn't compare to the later period stuff like Operation Square Leg, and even that doesn't cover a realistic saturation scenario. Combine it with the home office studies in the UK which are basically like "we are totally and utterly hosed guys, let's continue doing this anyway for some reason". Britain being an "unsinkable airstrip" and our high population, desire to site important counter force targets right next to cities and the optimistic hope that we'd have a 35% short term survivors does not bode well for nuclear war. But still! Got to work.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

RNG posted:

And then some freedom fries bullshit a few years later

quote:

The sacred memory of Poe and his final resting place is no place for French cognac. With great reluctance but for [sic] respect for family tradition the cognac is placed. The memory of Poe shall live evermore!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

lenoon posted:

On thermonuclear war is a chilling treatise but I think it doesn't compare to the later period stuff like Operation Square Leg, and even that doesn't cover a realistic saturation scenario. Combine it with the home office studies in the UK which are basically like "we are totally and utterly hosed guys, let's continue doing this anyway for some reason". Britain being an "unsinkable airstrip" and our high population, desire to site important counter force targets right next to cities and the optimistic hope that we'd have a 35% short term survivors does not bode well for nuclear war. But still! Got to work.

Sounds like a bit of a pickle old chap. Still, musn't grumble.

Not factual, but if you want to see a good example of British mentality on nuclear war check out When the Wind Blows. Created by the same guy who did The Snowman, you too can watch a jolly elderly English couple bumble their way through trying to survive nuclear war by following actual instructions from government pamphlets

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

MikeCrotch posted:

Sounds like a bit of a pickle old chap. Still, musn't grumble.

Not factual, but if you want to see a good example of British mentality on nuclear war check out When the Wind Blows. Created by the same guy who did The Snowman, you too can watch a jolly elderly English couple bumble their way through trying to survive nuclear war by following actual instructions from government pamphlets

Be warned though. You need to have a pretty high tolerance for bleakness, otherwise it might seriously bum you out.

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

You can't post about nuclear warfare without mentioning the Russian "Dead Hand" doomsday device http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Hand_%28nuclear_war%29

quote:

Dead Hand (Russian: Система «Периметр», Systema "Perimetr", 15Э601),[1] known also as Perimeter,[2] is a Cold-War-era nuclear-control system used by the Soviet Union.[3] General speculation from insiders alleges that the system remains in use in post-Soviet Russia. An example of fail-deadly deterrence, it can automatically trigger the launch of the Russian intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs) if a nuclear strike is detected by seismic, light, radioactivity and overpressure sensors. By most accounts, it is normally switched off and is supposed to be activated during dangerous crises only; however, it is said to remain fully functional and able to serve its purpose whenever needed.[4]

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

HighClassSwankyTime posted:

You can't post about nuclear warfare without mentioning the Russian "Dead Hand" doomsday device http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Hand_%28nuclear_war%29

6 posts above this one.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

A Spider Covets posted:

Enfield Poltergeist would be a good one, even though its almost certainly a load of bollocks. A TV show based on this starring Timothy Spall is out soon.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enfield_Poltergeist

Also I think Ghostwatch was based on this. I think its on YouTube and it's great.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostwatch

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

Pondex posted:

6 posts above this one.

i really need to start reading other posts

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

HighClassSwankyTime posted:

i really need to start reading other posts

Yes. It can be both fun and educational. :)

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Here's a few pages from The Day After World War III by Edward Zuckerman (it's been out of print since the 1980's but is well worth reading) dealing with Cold War continuity of government. You will all be pleased to note that the bureaucracy will indeed survive.

I didn't scan the pages but somewhere else the book notes that the A-Teams have a very short life expectancy.

Nckdictator has a new favorite as of 23:14 on Apr 16, 2015

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Pondex posted:

Be warned though. You need to have a pretty high tolerance for bleakness, otherwise it might seriously bum you out.

You want bleak, watch Threads.

Then take the next day off to recover.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Our you can love yourself and not watch either of those

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

pienipple posted:

I'm Scandinavian, so bleakness is like a warm down comforter to me.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Pondex posted:

I'm Scandinavian, so bleakness is like a warm down comforter to me.

Seattleite here, I watched The Day After and Threads and the fallout post-apocalyptic weather was basically every single day here from September-April.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

pienipple posted:

I watched the two of them in quick succession a few years back. Jesus, that was a bad decision.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

cptn_dr posted:

I watched the two of them in quick succession a few years back. Jesus, that was a bad decision.

I did the same thing. :smith:

Learn from our mistakes, children.

CrotchDropJeans
Jan 4, 2015
I used to teach college freshman history and once I made them watch When the Wind Blows and Come And See in the same semester. Lotta shell-shocked faces that term.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

A Spider Covets posted:

Sure. Could use a break from researching fancy plane crashes, anyway. So let's take a look at the Winchester Mystery House!

William Wirt Winchester's family was famous for their guns, and that company still exists today as the U.S. Repeating Arms Company. The name Winchester continues as a brand, and both original and updated versions of the firearms are still being made today in Japan and America by the company that now owns the rights.

This isn't W. Wirt's story though. It's about his widow, Sarah Winchester. It just begins with his death.

Well, actually, you could argue the story really began 15 years prior:

quote:

The couple had one daughter, Annie Pardee Winchester, who was born on June 15, 1866, but died after a few weeks on July 25, 1866[4] from the childhood disease marasmus.

Sarah fell into a deep depression following the death of her daughter, and the couple had no more children.

Sarah did as well as can be expected of anyone who's lost a child, but in 1880 and 1881, she suffered additional loss:

quote:

Her father-in-law Oliver Winchester died in 1880, quickly followed in March 1881 by husband William, who died of tuberculosis, giving Sarah approximately 50 percent ownership in the Winchester company and an income of $1,000 a day

So at least she was taken care of! Let's see, in today's dollars, that should work out to be, uh...

quote:

(This amount is roughly equivalent to $23,400 a day in 2013.)

:pusheen: That's not even counting the flat out 20.5 million then-dollar inheritance she received!

Not being one of those cartoonishly evil, suddenly rich, made-up widows on TV, Sarah was an actual person, and mourned the loss of her husband, hot on the heels of her father-in-law's passing. She began to feel as if the family was cursed, or so the legends tell.

Well, I guess having a bankroll like hers did come in handy, here:

quote:

According to the legends surrounding her, she felt that her family was cursed, and sought out spiritualists to determine what she should do. A Boston medium, Adam Coons, believed to be a psychic, allegedly told her that the Winchester family was cursed by the spirits of all the people who had been killed by the Winchester rifle, and she should move west to build a house for herself and the spirits.

Well that doesn't seem like such a bad cu-

quote:

The medium is claimed to have told Sarah that if construction on the house ever stopped, she would join her husband and infant daughter.

:gonk:

Weasel Words aside, she did move west, to be with her sister and niece. She bought an eight-room farmhouse on land that eventually became San Jose, and promptly redefined the meaning of "renovations":

quote:

Immediately, she began spending her $20 million inheritance by renovating and adding more rooms to the house, with work continuing 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year for the next 38 years. According to proprietors of the house, she was fascinated with the number 13 and worked the number into the house in many places. (There are 13 bathrooms, many windows have 13 panes, chandeliers have 13 candles, and so forth.)

So if nothing else, at least the local carpenters had steady work.

Some of these claims are disputed, by the way. Her biographer and the couple that bought the mansion after her eventual death seem to have polite disagreements on actual facts, and in the interest of equal time, the couple bought it specifically give tours, because let's face it - this house was neat as hell!

quote:

Before the 1906 earthquake, the house had been seven stories high, but today it is only four stories. The house is predominantly made of redwood, as Mrs. Winchester preferred the wood; however, she disliked the look of it. She therefore demanded that a faux grain and stain be applied. This is why almost all the wood in the home is covered. Approximately 20,500 US gallons (78,000 l) of paint were required to paint the house.

The home itself is built using a floating foundation that is believed to have saved it from total collapse in the 1906 earthquake and the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake. This type of construction allows the home to shift freely, as it is not completely attached to its brick base.

There are roughly 160 rooms, including 40 bedrooms, 2 ballrooms (one completed and one unfinished) as well as 47 fireplaces, over 10,000 panes of glass, 17 chimneys (with evidence of two others), two basements and three elevators. Winchester's property was about 162 acres (66 ha) at one time, but the estate has since been reduced to 4.5 acres (1.8 ha) – the minimum necessary to contain the house and nearby outbuildings. It has gold and silver chandeliers and hand-inlaid parquet floors and trim.

There are doors and stairways that lead nowhere and a vast array of colors and materials.

Due to Mrs Winchester's debilitating arthritis, special "easy riser" stairways were installed as a replacement for her original steep construction. This allowed her to move about her home freely as she was only able to raise her feet a few inches high.

Utter waste of redwood aside (and the hot-tub craze of the 1970's did much, much more damage to redwood than this house ever did), this is what happens when so many different crews work on a house over the course of 36 years with no clear end goal in sight. The 1906 earthquake kinda hosed everything up, and Sarah didn't even live in the house full-time after (because she woke up trapped in one of her bedrooms, presumably) but she visited and stayed there often. Construction continued on (which may or may-not-have-been full time) until Sarah passed on at the age of 83, from heart-failure.

The couple who bought and ran the mansion as a "mystery house" were good at it, partly because of the mythos they built up around the place to attract customers. In fact, their descendants formed a company and still run it to this day. Did they overplay the occultism and what drove Sarah Winchester's drive to built such a giant cluster of fucks? Most certainly. But in this case it paints the subject in a positive light and there is no unhappy ending - Sarah died of old age. What was construed as a way to escape the spirits of the vengeful dead may just as well have been the hobby of an eccentric, wealthy woman who wanted to forget the losses in her life. What seems to be a maze to trick ghosts may actually be a sign that Sarah had no formal training in architecture, but knew what she wanted and had far too much money to not get her way.

It is true - the simplest explanation probably is the more correct one. Sarah also had a yacht the locals called "The Ark", and they teased that she had it because she believed a second Great Flood was coming - and not because, say, she was extremely wealthy and owned a yacht like other rich people in the area did.

Perhaps, truly, the most unnerving thing is not the ghost stories, but how easily a person's life can be turned from fact to fiction. Also how rad hosed up houses get built.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Literally Kermit posted:

Winchester House

I went there once. It's a really cool place, weird as hell though. In addition to the doors and stairs that lead nowhere, there are also chimneys that stop several floors below the roof. There are also a few rooms which can only be opened from the outside and not the inside, and seance rooms.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Pondex posted:

Ending spoiler:
After a few days, the Bloggs are practically bedridden, and Hilda is despondent when her hair begins to fall out. James is still confident that emergency services will come, but they never do, since they were presumably destroyed in the attack. The film ends with the dying James and Hilda getting into paper sacks, crawling back into the shelter, and praying.

Jesus Christ, maybe not one for takeaway and film night.

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

The comic book is just as bleak and depressing

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Walton Simons posted:

Jesus Christ, maybe not one for takeaway and film night.
I saw it as a kid and it loving traumatised me. :smith:

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Threads is all about my home town. Now that's depressing!

Will get on the effort post at some point this weekend.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

lenoon posted:

Threads is all about my home town. Now that's depressing!

Will get on the effort post at some point this weekend.

the special effects were great, it made sheffield look habitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

SC Bracer posted:

Interesting thing is that he was a pianist and while he does not remember what he's playing, he's still able to play because of his procedural memory. Pretty crazy stuff.

Another case to do with amnesia is the story of HM (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Molaison) who was severely lobotomized to cure his seizures, leading him to have anterograde and retrograde amnesia, but without affecting his procedural and short term memory. What I find especially awful about it is that we owe him a huge amount for what we know about how memory is mediated in the brain but it's just incredibly hosed up nonetheless that he had to go through what he did.

Stuff like this really is fascinating - you'd think if a part of your brain dealing with memory was damaged, it would affect ALL types of memory. The brain is a very complex and weird organ, that's for sure - hopefully one day science and medicine can figure out how to reverse amnesia symptoms like this.