Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Congratulations! I'm excited but at least I have Pillars and GTA5 to tide me over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Drifter posted:

Woohoo! One more month! :unsmigghh::respek::heysexy:

:negative:

Yeah! It's coming out soon!

....wait, that means those upgrades I've been putting off have to be done. Crap.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Senjuro posted:

And there was much rejoicing. Too early to say when we'll be able to start pre loading the game? I'm assuming it's going to be massive.

Corollary to this: Any idea how big the download will be?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

GrossMurpel posted:

Corollary to this: Any idea how big the download will be?

I've heard "30 GB" floating around.

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

I'm saving up such a laugh.
I'm kinda tempted to buy this on PS4 cause I'm pretty sure my lovely 7850 Radeon Card would handle this game really badly. I guess I could also just buy some new PC hardware though, and playing a Witcher game on a console would feel odd.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It would be super-great if cloud saves were shared between PC and PS4.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm kind of glad this game isn't coming out till next month, this month's been great for games which means I've had less time to play them all.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

It would be super-great if cloud saves were shared between PC and PS4.

Has any game done this? Portal 2 is the only one that comes to mind.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mr E posted:

I'm kind of glad this game isn't coming out till next month, this month's been great for games which means I've had less time to play them all.
I wanted the game out in February because by mid-May it will be really nice outside all the time and I will not want to be inside on my computer :(

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

I wanted the game out in February because by mid-May it will be really nice outside all the time and I will not want to be inside on my computer :(

Fuckin' weirdo. :goonsay:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

OAquinas posted:

I've heard "30 GB" floating around.

Wow, time to clean off the SSD I guess.

Speaking of which, does anyone know if there's a decent way to actually clean out the winsxs folder in Windows 7? The Disk Cleanup utility doesn't do it and it looks like a lot of the newer things to automatically clean it out are Windows 8.1 only. Mine's pushing 20GB at this point, it's getting a bit much.

Maybe it's just time to step up to a larger SSD I guess.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Wow, time to clean off the SSD I guess.

~

Maybe it's just time to step up to a larger SSD I guess.
I got a 250 when I just built my computer and its pretty great.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Fuckin' weirdo. :goonsay:
Confirm.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
Wow, this thread is making me realize how dated my desktop PC is: 2.83GHz Core 2 Quad Q9550, 6GB RAM, GeForce GTX 460 SE.

The Witcher 2 EE runs quite well at 1920x1080 with non-maxed settings, and I will attempt to run TW3 on this hardware. I don't care how many settings I have to turn down, or if I have to lower the resolution.

I've read/heard a few things about this game being released for Linux (or SteamOS I suppose) at some point; is this accurate? I am unwilling to install Windows to play this.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

30 gigs is actually a lot smaller than I was expecting considering the size of some things these days.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Is that Download or install footprint?

It'd be pretty loving amazing if it's 3 GBs larger than what Wasteland 2 was. :allears:

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
Bigger is better. If it's not at least 70GB I'm cancelling my preorder.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Bort Bortles posted:

I got a 250 when I just built my computer and its pretty great.

Yeah 500GB is only $190 these days so I'd be tempted to just buy a new one. Can't decide if I would just reinstall Windows on the new one or not though, I only have a 7 upgrade key so uhg.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Lyer posted:

Does the free copy of the witcher 3 come with any new 900 gtx card, or only for specific brands?

I think it's most, if not all 900 series cards from participating retailers.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Is there a website that hosts Witcher 2 completed saves? Mine was lost at some point and I don't currently have the time to play through it again. Or will there be a setup like the console versions where you have the option to enter in your choices?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Is there a website that hosts Witcher 2 completed saves? Mine was lost at some point and I don't currently have the time to play through it again. Or will there be a setup like the console versions where you have the option to enter in your choices?

I think they said you'd have an opportunity to create your backstory ingame.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yeah I remember someone saying there's a Mass Effect style thing where you select your old choices.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
"So tell me, Witcher....did you gently caress her?"

y/n

~*backstory complete*~

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Drifter posted:

y/n

~*backstory complete*~
Dont forget *sex cutscene*.

But yeah I have seen in more than one place that there will be a part at the beginning of the game where you describe what happened in the past with someone; your answers to their questions/stories you tell determine your backstory.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

Drifter posted:

y/n

~*backstory complete*~

cant wait for this part in the witcher 3 where the witcher (hetrosexual man) fucks all the bitches, and also the villains are gay pedophiles and lesbians

Sunsetaware
Jun 2, 2012

Bort Bortles posted:

But yeah I have seen in more than one place that there will be a part at the beginning of the game where you describe what happened in the past with someone; your answers to their questions/stories you tell determine your backstory.

I like that. It's so nice and uncomplicated, I wish everyone did it that way.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sunsetaware posted:

I like that. It's so nice and uncomplicated, I wish everyone did it that way.

Well sometimes it can be very vague and you don't have any idea about what actual thing you'd have chosen or not. Unless it's like some quasi-binary "Did you really kill all those kids?" (y/n/just some) or "So where did you grow up?" (with the elves/in a castle/I'm a pirate)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bort Bortles posted:

Witcher has the benefit of using Dandellion as a narrative device (at least I hope they are using one of his stories to let you customize your background).

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Bort Bortles posted:

This is my problem, too :( Also because I live so far north that around that time it's almost perpetual sunlight so I can't darken my nerd cave enough for vidya games!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

steinrokkan posted:

Witcher has the benefit of using Dandellion as a narrative device (at least I hope they are using one of his stories to let you customize your background).

Dandelion is so amazing. :allears:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Drifter posted:

Well sometimes it can be very vague and you don't have any idea about what actual thing you'd have chosen or not. Unless it's like some quasi-binary "Did you really kill all those kids?" (y/n/just some) or "So where did you grow up?" (with the elves/in a castle/I'm a pirate)

I'm wondering how newcomers to the series handle that. "Did you side with the Scoia'tael?" "wat"
Thought it's their own fault for not playing the other games!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

GrossMurpel posted:

I'm wondering how newcomers to the series handle that. "Did you side with the Scoia'tael?" "wat"
Yup. gently caress 'em.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

GrossMurpel posted:

I suppose there will be a default state to choose.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I hope the skill tree is vastly more impressive than it was in 2. I'm playing through The Witcher now (planning on doing 2 right after) and it's just nuts how much more impressive the skills are. When I see them and remember a similar skill was like +5% of something it was just boring, it was hard to really care about leveling the skill in that game. In the first game I look forward to leveling up because all those upgrades are worthwhile.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jimbot posted:

I hope the skill tree is vastly more impressive than it was in 2. I'm playing through The Witcher now (planning on doing 2 right after) and it's just nuts how much more impressive the skills are. When I see them and remember a similar skill was like +5% of something it was just boring, it was hard to really care about leveling the skill in that game. In the first game I look forward to leveling up because all those upgrades are worthwhile.
I'm hoping that 3's skilltree isnt so big that you can only expect to reasonably fill out one tree in a whole playthrough. I dont mind a few "filler" or less flashy skills if there are some sweet ones at the end (like there are in W2) but I didnt like that you get so few that you can only really tap into the potential of one tree in the course of the game.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I've really always felt passive skills like a 10% increase in some stat should be handled through armor, crafting and item equipping rather than a level-up ability.

Gimme poo poo to DOOOO when I level up.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Drifter posted:

I've really always felt passive skills like a 10% increase in some stat should be handled through armor, crafting and item equipping rather than a level-up ability.

Gimme poo poo to DOOOO when I level up.

Well, I prefer the opposite. Give me one or two good active abilities, and let me spend the rest of talents on passive poo poo.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

steinrokkan posted:

Well, I prefer the opposite. Give me one or two good active abilities, and let me spend the rest of talents on passive poo poo.

I'm not talking about passive poo poo. Like, have the firball spell and then level it up have an aoe or pushback or knockdown or shoot two fireballs. That's cool. But having a skill to specifically increase its damage by 15% is just laziness.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/30709-(SPOILERS)The-Witcher-2-Save-Game-Files

Take your pick, dude has like every possible variation available. Obviously, lots of spoilers for TW2 in there so anyone who cares about that shouldn't click.

Diran
Jan 28, 2014

Archimago posted:

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/30709-(SPOILERS)The-Witcher-2-Save-Game-Files

Take your pick, dude has like every possible variation available. Obviously, lots of spoilers for TW2 in there so anyone who cares about that shouldn't click.

Nice, I've been looking for something like this in case the in-game version isn't that great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Archimago posted:

Thank you, this is perfect!

• Locked thread