Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The real reason you should burn it again is to make Atlanta less of a clusterfuck to drive through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Agean90 posted:

The real reason you should burn it again is to make Atlanta less of a clusterfuck to drive through.

Also this. It's the least population dense city in America, as it happens.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Im not surprised. Most people Ive met there want city services but with country isolation to... interesting results.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Trin Tragula posted:

October 23rd 1914, and not easily, although I'll probably go back there and make sure "Tremendous Slaughter in Prices" appears in the text of the entry so it can be searched for directly.

edit: apparently I wasn't doing Our Advertising Feature at that point, but it should pop up here in just a moment.

Anyone for The Crow Master Vibrator? Only 29 shillings and ninepence!

Wow, it doesn't matter how many times I see that ad, I still find it cringe-worthy.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Disinterested posted:

Yeah but that only happens if you let them know who won and who lost.

Pretty sure the peacekeeping force stationed there indefinitely will be keen on doing so.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

cheerfullydrab posted:

Wow, it doesn't matter how many times I see that ad, I still find it cringe-worthy.

I don't think anything beats the Rectorotor.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

my dad posted:

:stonk:

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Sit on it and spin.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

"Small Enough For Anyone Over 15 Years Old"

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

my dad posted:

:monocle:

I'll take two, good sir

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Trin Tragula posted:

October 23rd 1914, and not easily, although I'll probably go back there and make sure "Tremendous Slaughter in Prices" appears in the text of the entry so it can be searched for directly.

edit: apparently I wasn't doing Our Advertising Feature at that point, but it should pop up here in just a moment.

Anyone for The Crow Master Vibrator? Only 29 shillings and ninepence!

TREMENDOUS SLAUGHTER (in Prices) will never not be funny to me.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'll buy the crow master vibrator (for my Ford car, of course).

brakeless posted:

Sit on it and spin.

It's cheaper to use a lemon juicer, hth

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Technically we still have those, they're just a lot smaller, made of plastic and don't spin. Doesn't change the fact that you are still sticking an applicator into your rectum and then plunging out cream or ointment (unguent, if you will) out of holes on the sides of the applicator to get some nice even coating going on.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
"Sir, you appear to be suffering from constipation. I'll prescribe two medical dildos, please apply rectally and call me in the morning."

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Tomn posted:

"Sir, you appear to be suffering from constipation. I'll prescribe two medical dildos, please apply rectally and call me in the morning."

No joking, this was a thing in women's health for a long time. Physicians would diagnose women with various "nervous disorders" and basically prescribe a medical vibrator. I knew a professor once who had a small collection of them. Pretty intimidating looking things. Think a cross between a corded drill and a trailer hitch, with the chrome hitch being the vibrating bit.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

No joking, this was a thing in women's health for a long time. Physicians would diagnose women with various "nervous disorders" and basically prescribe a medical vibrator. I knew a professor once who had a small collection of them. Pretty intimidating looking things. Think a cross between a corded drill and a trailer hitch, with the chrome hitch being the vibrating bit.

Later versions were literally some of the very first consumer electric appliances to be sold (#5 on the list, according to wikipedia).

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

They existed before electrical services? That means that there's a barn somewhere that has a hundred+ year old steam-powered vibrator slowly gathering dust.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Agean90 posted:

Gonna have to pass a law that they can only have one thoroughfare be named peachtree instead of the thirty something they have now,

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Grand Prize Winner posted:

They existed before electrical services? That means that there's a barn somewhere that has a hundred+ year old steam-powered vibrator slowly gathering dust.

Correct. They were enormous.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
In this book I have about the Templars, they are talking about the basic equipment of a Templar knight as specified in their early Rule.

quote:

In addition each knight was to be armed with three knives: a long dagger worn to the left of the belt, a small pocket knife, and a very short knife with long blade (1 d'armes, 1 de pain taillier, and 1 canivet).

What's that short knife with long blade for? Trimming your nails?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

cheerfullydrab posted:

In this book I have about the Templars, they are talking about the basic equipment of a Templar knight as specified in their early Rule.

Stabbing hams and possibly heathens.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

cheerfullydrab posted:

Shaving, maybe?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

FAUXTON posted:

Why not both with a single stab?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cheerfullydrab posted:

Field lobotomies.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

In the spirit of duels for insults:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBtcQ4vkRg0

(I hope this guy gets taken up on his offer and wins.)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

xthetenth posted:

In the spirit of duels for insults:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBtcQ4vkRg0

(I hope this guy gets taken up on his offer and wins.)
i am willing to kickstart anything that ends in nigel farage getting sabered

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

i am willing to kickstart anything that ends in nigel farage getting sabered

Amen to that.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
He's a giant wuss who'll turn down both offers and act all smug about it. But a plane can kick his arse.

I wish they'd make duels legal for British politics though. Yes, It has honestly gotten to that point.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

He's a giant wuss who'll turn down both offers and act all smug about it.

I wish they'd make duels legal for British politics though. Yes, It has honestly gotten to that point.

I'd say mailing canes to Congress would be funny, but the guy who did it was a grade A jerk.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SeanBeansShako posted:

He's a giant wuss who'll turn down both offers and act all smug about it. But a plane can kick his arse.

It's like that pretty much everywhere. The crazy thing is, if you watch him talking in the European Parliment rather than on domestic issues he comes off as sane compared to those around him. We're about due for another round of massive social upheaval I think.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Oh boy, plain brown trench coats peaked leather caps and driving goggles are coming back too. I'm going to get me an armoured car!

Best be quick and beat the local Freikorp unit now too.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Fangz posted:

Shaving, maybe?

FAUXTON posted:

Slavvy posted:

Field lobotomies.

All these, including, the joke I posted, could be done with either the pocket knife or the dagger, both also specified. I just can't understand what you need with a weird in-between knife, something with a little handle and a big blade, that it's so very necessary for everybody that it's specified in the basic rules that govern your awful knightly order.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

cheerfullydrab posted:

All these, including, the joke I posted, could be done with either the pocket knife or the dagger, both also specified. I just can't understand what you need with a weird in-between knife, something with a little handle and a big blade, that it's so very necessary for everybody that it's specified in the basic rules that govern your awful knightly order.

I'm still going with it being a chef's knife type of thing.

Do Hegel's soldiers have something like that? A kit knife reserved for eating?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

I'm still going with it being a chef's knife type of thing.

Do Hegel's soldiers have something like that? A kit knife reserved for eating?

That's usually one of the many roles reserved for the pocket knife.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

cheerfullydrab posted:

That's usually one of the many roles reserved for the pocket knife.

The pocket knife for eating, or for moving food to your plate too?

Maybe it's like those outsized forks you use to stab ham steaks/slices of turkey/roast and put them on your plate. Then you use the pocket knife to cut off bites and stuff them in your mouth.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

The pocket knife for eating, or for moving food to your plate too?

Maybe it's like those outsized forks you use to stab ham steaks/slices of turkey/roast and put them on your plate. Then you use the pocket knife to cut off bites and stuff them in your mouth.

I'm not saying I don't like the idea of the Templars having to carry at all times a mandated food-consuming knife, it just sounds unlikely. That would be as bad as the Italian army having ties in their combat uniforms in WW2.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

cheerfullydrab posted:

I'm not saying I don't like the idea of the Templars having to carry at all times a mandated food-consuming knife, it just sounds unlikely. That would be as bad as the Italian army having ties in their combat uniforms in WW2.

Well they certainly aren't going to be eating with the one covered in dried people blood.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

Well they certainly aren't going to be eating with the one covered in dried people blood.

No, they're going to use the pocket knife. What else do you think it's for, Mumbletypeg?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

cheerfullydrab posted:

No, they're going to use the pocket knife. What else do you think it's for, Mumbletypeg?

stabbing loaves.

e: I just noticed your french term says "1 de pain taillier" which is pretty much "bread cutter."

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

cheerfullydrab posted:

Well "canivet" translates to something close to "little knife." My guess is it was something akin to a pen knife. A small blade for precision work too delicate for the larger pocket knife. I imagine one could find all manner of uses for a small, sharp blade.

e;fb.

• Locked thread