Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Felix_Cat posted:

I love that right in the midst of all the "Paige you must promise to never tell anyone we are spies" stuff Paige is just casually all "So yeah Henry is afraid of bears. I promised him I'd never tell anyone".

Someone in the AV Club comment section thought it was a power move. Casually revealing a secret to shut down Philip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
God drat, I want to be able to write this good well.

e: Oleg & Co.'s dramatic reading owned. Stan revealing his final form owned. Martha's Woah.gif* owned.

* FILEPHOTO_.GIF,WOAH:

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Apr 16, 2015

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

zVxTeflon posted:

He uses Phillips wigs to seduce mrs Beeman

He's actually so inherently good at spycraft, he's her other man, but no one noticed.

He's also the EST guy.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
So, uh, what was Philip trying to accomplish by revealing his ~true form~ to Martha? Other than digging an even deeper hole for himself.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Guildencrantz posted:

So, uh, what was Philip trying to accomplish by revealing his ~true form~ to Martha? Other than digging an even deeper hole for himself.

I can only guess at this point but I'd say that he does have some real feelings for Martha and doesn't want her hurt more or killed, so by revealing his true face to her he's hoping to signal this and buy time/prevent her from fleeing to her parents & basically admitting that she's the guilty party to the FBI.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

savinhill posted:

I can only guess at this point but I'd say that he does have some real feelings for Martha and doesn't want her hurt more or killed, so by revealing his true face to her he's hoping to signal this and buy time/prevent her from fleeing to her parents & basically admitting that she's the guilty party to the FBI.

This, and he was trying to create a truly intimate moment between them, beyond anything they had ever done as a "married" couple, to truly bare his face and his soul before her.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I never thought this season would have communist robots as a plot point.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The robot isn't communist. It is an american capitalist robot that has been suborned by the communists.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe

withak posted:

The robot isn't communist. It is an american capitalist robot that has been suborned by the communists.

It is a filthy goddamn traitor and will have an industrial magnet run over its innards like it deserves. :911:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

This, and he was trying to create a truly intimate moment between them, beyond anything they had ever done as a "married" couple, to truly bare his face and his soul before her.

I mean, really? If he was actually bald, sure, but he takes off the glasses and wig and is now much better looking and still has a full head of hair.

If anything, I'd think that would make Martha even more nervous -- there was a plot point last season where she told Clark she knew he was wearing a wig, and she'd happily accepted that Clark was embarrassed about losing his hair and too self-conscious to be seen without it. So yeah, she was thinking "He's opening himself up to me" as Clark was pulling out the bobby-pins, but the end result shows her that he's been much more deceptive with her than she ever thought.

I took it as Phillip having some real emotion over Martha, and wanting to at least show her who he really was before he killed her.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What are the chances that Stan's conversation with the black FBI guy got picked up by the communist mail robot? You could hear it beeping in the background. I thought that Oleg's big reveal was going to be dissension in the ranks based on that.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

By the way, I've always wondered -- is Martha supposed to be really ugly to most people? She's not TV hot, and she has sort of an unusual look, but I think she'd be perfectly fine-looking in real life. It's made a lot of her plot beats a little strange for me, like the recording of the FBI agents almost-but-not-quite talking poo poo about her last season, or this ep, when Elizabeth suggested Beeman might be trying to hook up with her and Phillip goes "Martha??" in disbelief. But then Amador WAS trying to hook up with her last season, and got killed for it. I don't get it.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 17, 2015

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

Phenotype posted:

By the way, I've always wondered -- is Martha supposed to be really ugly to most people? She's not TV hot, and she has sort of an unusual look, but I think she'd be perfectly fine-looking in real life. It's made a lot of her plot beats a little strange for me, like the recording of the FBI agents almost-but-not-quite talking poo poo about her last season, or this ep, when Elizabeth suggested Beeman might be trying to hook up with her and Phillip goes "Martha??" in disbelief.

She's not "hot" and she dresses like a dweeby middle-aged secretary. I'm always happy at how relatively normal most of the cast looks, besides Keri and Matthew being showrunning hottie exceptions that have to wear terrible wigs to look more average.

Martha Is the Embodiment of Everything We Dread on The Americans

quote:

Every second she's onscreen, I'm wondering if the person she's talking to is about to kill her. (And hats off to Alison Wright for playing Martha as smart and self-possessed, only as vulnerable to targeted psychological manipulation as anyone else would be.) Could Clark kill her? Yes. I thought for a second Agent Beeman might, because everyone has a darkness, as this show reminds us. Even the mail robot could go rogue and take her out. Every part of Martha's existence elicits an "oh God, something bad is going to happen" response from the audience.

There's a link to last year's TV’s Saddest Character: Martha on The Americans, which also does Martha great justice as a character.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
It has to have crossed her mind by now that if she just turns herself in and spills everything (and sets up Philip), she probably wouldn't get too tough of a punishment. She needs to be knocked off next episode. Like even before the opening credits.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

withak posted:

What are the chances that Stan's conversation with the black FBI guy got picked up by the communist mail robot? You could hear it beeping in the background. I thought that Oleg's big reveal was going to be dissension in the ranks based on that.

I thought that guy was gonna be putting more heat on Stan earlier this season, with how he first acted with Gaad right after the pen mic was discovered and how bad Stan looked after he set up that horrible hotel plan with Oleg & the defector, but this is the first they've really had anything happen on screen about it. Stan could still be extra hosed if dude's been suspecting Martha and saw Stan visiting her. I can't really figure out how the mail robot would tie into all that though.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It would be awesome if the next cold open has a casual mention that the Martha paroblem is taken care of and that is the last we hear of her aside from the confusion at the FBI office following her total disappearance.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
"Even the mail robot could go rogue and take her out." HAhahahahaha, that is seriously the best part of this series.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

withak posted:

I was wondering if that conversation was why Arkady wanted to shut down the mailbot operation so quickly, but I'm not sure why he would be so concerned about the clerks transcribing Stan talking about Directorate S in general terms.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Cuddly Tumblemumps posted:

She's not "hot" and she dresses like a dweeby middle-aged secretary. I'm always happy at how relatively normal most of the cast looks, besides Keri and Matthew being showrunning hottie exceptions that have to wear terrible wigs to look more average.
Honestly, Martha was outright unattractive to me in the first season, but then steadily improved over the course of the series. I don't think I mean that in a costuming/makeup directorial sort of way, but instead that the depth added to her character, particularly in this season has gone a long way to make me empathize with her. Physically? Meh. But Alison Wright gave her soul.

Maybe I'm just completely imperceptive of hair, but at least half of Phil's wigs look, well, believable. This show has made me want to learn how to rock a disguise as good as they manage to. Any Goons happen to have a beautician's guide to spycraft handy?

Also, I don't get all the hate directed at Paige. Sure, she's dorky and even Holly Taylor has mocked Paige's being a complete goody-two-shoes, but the character has contributed to some fantastic plot development and behaves pretty drat realistically—I imagine Holly's gotten one Hell of an acting apprenticeship working with Keri and Matthew.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Phenotype posted:

By the way, I've always wondered -- is Martha supposed to be really ugly to most people? She's not TV hot, and she has sort of an unusual look, but I think she'd be perfectly fine-looking in real life. It's made a lot of her plot beats a little strange for me, like the recording of the FBI agents almost-but-not-quite talking poo poo about her last season, or this ep, when Elizabeth suggested Beeman might be trying to hook up with her and Phillip goes "Martha??" in disbelief. But then Amador WAS trying to hook up with her last season, and got killed for it. I don't get it.

I think she considers herself unattractive, which is why Phillip was able to exploit that and use that recording he doctored of Gaad and the other agents making fun of her looks to convince her to do stuff.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Cugel the Clever posted:

Also, I don't get all the hate directed at Paige. Sure, she's dorky and even Holly Taylor has mocked Paige's being a complete goody-two-shoes, but the character has contributed to some fantastic plot development and behaves pretty drat realistically—I imagine Holly's gotten one Hell of an acting apprenticeship working with Keri and Matthew.

There really hasn't been much hate directed at Paige. I think people were afraid that she seemed to be heading down the path of blackmailing her parents, which would be awful.

e: And I wouldn't necessarily consider characters acting "realistically" to be a positive.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Put me down as somebody who thinks it'd be really funny if they told Henry and he just was cool with the whole thing and wanted to play his video games.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

cheerfullydrab posted:

Put me down as somebody who thinks it'd be really funny if they told Henry and he just was cool with the whole thing and wanted to play his video games.

"Oh yeah, I figured that out two years ago. Travel agents don't have all night office emergencies."

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008
I'm probably reading into it to much, but I was curious about the use of Ultravox's song Vienna towards the end, particularly the lyric "This means nothing to me" timed just after Elizabeth invited Paige to Russia, and while Paige was shown with a blank or indecisive look on her face.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

cheerfullydrab posted:

It would also probably be quite realistic. The Center are idiots for trying to drag Paige into the whole thing at the exact worst age for it, right in the most rebellious part of her teenage years when she's trying to be her own person. Younger kids tend to be extremely family-minded and they'll mostly go along with whatever their parents say and do. If the Russians had had that "second generation illegals" idea a few years earlier, Paige and Henry could have both been easily indoctrinated into becoming amazing spies.

(The way it's going makes for better drama though)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I did like the exchange between Gabriel and Claudia where he reveals to her that he's staunchly *against* what's going on with Paige, when he's been the Center's 'do it' guy for it, whereas Claudia seems to be the one egging it on, despite being apologetic when broaching it to Phil and Liz last season.

In a similar vein, they've kind of let that admission of Claudia's to Liz that she'd outed herself as a spy to a guy she'd been seeing just get lost in the breeze.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Guildencrantz posted:

It would also probably be quite realistic. The Center are idiots for trying to drag Paige into the whole thing at the exact worst age for it, right in the most rebellious part of her teenage years when she's trying to be her own person. Younger kids tend to be extremely family-minded and they'll mostly go along with whatever their parents say and do. If the Russians had had that "second generation illegals" idea a few years earlier, Paige and Henry could have both been easily indoctrinated into becoming amazing spies.

It's a lot harder to indoctrinate young children secretly, though. They'd go to school and start preaching communism.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I feel like I missed a scene where Elizabeth got the OK to head to Russia to see her mother. Last episode, Gabriel made it clear that it was an impossible request, and this week Liz just springs it on her daughter like it's a done deal.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

JohnSherman posted:

I feel like I missed a scene where Elizabeth got the OK to head to Russia to see her mother. Last episode, Gabriel made it clear that it was an impossible request, and this week Liz just springs it on her daughter like it's a done deal.

I wouldn't be surprised if Liz hasn't even asked to go yet, but they're clearly losing Paige (she's angrier than ever and kinda ran away to her truthful, non-spy, 100% American, backup parents); the dying grandmother was the only card Phil&Liz could play that might placate her. I bet it totally worked, too, despite Paige's "this means nothing to me" façade.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Guildencrantz posted:

The Center isn't exactly very knowledgeable about the typical norms of raising an American girl in an upper middle class environment.

Not only did the previous generation not grow up the same way Paige has but they grew up poor as poo poo in Soviet Russia.

So yeah. Not the right time but they don't realize it.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
The funny thing about the whole B-2 F-plot nonsense is the Russian were the ones who developed the mathematical principles behind it back in the 60s

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

comes along bort posted:

The funny thing about the whole B-2 F-plot nonsense is the Russian were the ones who developed the mathematical principles behind it back in the 60s

If only they'd spent more time making their population computer-literate. =/

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The Center's attitude is always coldly logical. Elizabeth can't go to see her mother because there's no strategic value to it - other than her own emotional health which the center doesn't give a poo poo about. But the center might go for it if presented as "my daughter needs to see the country she'll be serving."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Well, the scene from the trailer for the season finale showed them walking at night with "Apotheke" in neon in one of the windows, so I'm guessing they'll get behind the Iron Curtain by way of East Berlin.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If only they'd spent more time making their population computer-literate. =/

It's actually kinda impressive how much they accomplished considering trade embargoes forced them to develop from scratch whatever they couldn't reverse engineer from smuggled components.

EchoBase
Dec 11, 2001
My money is on Paige not coming back from Russia. Gabriel will keep her there for indoctrination and set up a serious Phil-Elizabeth conflict for next season (ie Phil will think Elizabeth was in on it even if she fights against the order).

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

EchoBase posted:

My money is on Paige not coming back from Russia. Gabriel will keep her there for indoctrination and set up a serious Phil-Elizabeth conflict for next season (ie Phil will think Elizabeth was in on it even if she fights against the order).

Yeah, that wouldn't fit with them wanting Paige to get into the USG.

So I see Paige, for your Junior year in high school, you spent it in St. Petersburg, yup clearance granted!

EchoBase
Dec 11, 2001

TCD posted:

Yeah, that wouldn't fit with them wanting Paige to get into the USG.

So I see Paige, for your Junior year in high school, you spent it in St. Petersburg, yup clearance granted!

She could spend only a few weeks or months there, it wouldn't necessarily need to be years. For whatever indoctrination/brainwashing/training the writers scheme up, they can make it be as quick as they need it to be for the story.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

EchoBase posted:

She could spend only a few weeks or months there, it wouldn't necessarily need to be years. For whatever indoctrination/brainwashing/training the writers scheme up, they can make it be as quick as they need it to be for the story.

I don't think Phil would lose his poo poo over a few weeks and a few months is too long for somebody to be a ghost and to have no questions come up when trying to get the jobs that the Center wants for Paige.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The whole “second‐generation illegals” business is already operating beyond the bounds of reality w/r/t background checks, so who knows how Paige disappearing for months would be treated in‐universe? :shrug:

• Locked thread