Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

himajinga posted:

I kinda feel like this last page is setting it up for Annie and Kat to reconcile too easily so I wonder what the conflict is going to be from here on out? Annie and Kat working behind the scenes to undo Anthony's influence?

:stonk:

I don't think they are reconciling because there is no rift yet. We will see what Kat makes of Annie defending handing over Rey though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
It strikes me that the rift and conflict (which there's obviously going to be in some form) don't need to specifically be between Annie and Kat. In fact they might be the one constant in a storm of everything going to poo poo between the court and forest, that constant being the eventual solution.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
This may be the last time they see each other for months.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I bet this ends with Andrew commanding Reynardine to do something bad or else him killing Reynardine with little fanfare.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Reynard is played by Sean Bean

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

mr. stefan posted:

I wonder if the Donlans or someone have legal grounds to claim Annie as a ward since Anthony essentially abandoned her for four years, that'd be a good step towards blocking his influence.

I'm finding it rather amusing that everybody is piling on the "Anthony is a lovely father/person" bandwagon, cherry-picking what they want to see from the comics, and running with it.

First, Donlans probably ain't 'turning against him'. They know him waaaaaaaaaaay better than everyone in the thread does or wants to admit.

Case in point, go back and read the Microsat 5 chapter.

There's a lot about Tony outwardly showing nothing, or even being dismissive of what is going on around him, but privately he is very, very emotional about things. People are assuming from his stoic demeanor that he doesn't care/is a terrible person/is a horrible father/needs to die, but that's extremely shortsighted/stupid/ridiculous and disregarding much of Tony's character - not to mention the similarities between him and Antimony.

People want to assume he's bad dad because that's just easier. But never forget - Surma picked him, not the apparently rad dad Eglamore. There's a reason for that that we simply don't know at the moment, but I suspect that there is much more to Tony than the rest of you are willing to admit.

mr. stefan posted:

Kat tells Annie to just run to the forest and not come back to the court, maybe?

Well, the Chapter is called "The Tree". I am assuming that there will be a tree at some point, specifically THE tree. But if I'm not mistaken, said tree is not in Gillitie Wood.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LuiCypher posted:

I'm finding it rather amusing that everybody is piling on the "Anthony is a lovely father/person" bandwagon, cherry-picking what they want to see from the comics, and running with it.
While there's an outside chance he's not a lovely person, you're not seriously going to argue that this is good parenting, are you?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Anthony is a bad father because he's a bad father. This is indisputable from his actions, which are textbook emotional abuse.

It doesn't really matter if he's doing it because he's dead inside or because he can't control all the EMOTIONS inside his stoic facade (it's the second one but w/e). The reason why he's a bad father is only relevant to him and his spiritual adviser. All that matters to Antimony is that he's an abuser who needs to be carted back to the out-of-her-life he just walked out of.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

LuiCypher posted:

But never forget - Surma picked him

People make mistakes.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The chapter where he's diggin in her fire soul hints that the reasons for his actions may be relevant to at least Annie as well as himself.

Like, idk how saying that would imply that I think what is going on is cool and good or anything though.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I bet this ends with Andrew [ ] killing Reynardine with little fanfare.
Nah, he'll make Annie do it to prove her loyalty.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Splicer posted:

While there's an outside chance he's not a lovely person, you're not seriously going to argue that this is good parenting, are you?

About a million times better than the "sure cheat on all your courses and spend your time with magic unstable woodland creatures that have tried to kill you, and go ahead and get used as a pawn in the court/forest rivalry too while you're at it" style of non-parenting she's been receiving so far.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
So let's see what everyone thinks!

------------------------------------------------------------
What did Surma see in Anthony?

[ ] - Pity

[ ] - Surma digs stoics

[ ] - He's so emotionally stunted that he would be able to handle losing a loved one better than anyone else

[ ] - He's a real fixer-upper and she needed a project

[ ] - To spite Jimmy-Jims

[ ] - Maybe if her baby was as dull and humorless as Tony it would cancel out her fire elemental-ness

[ ] - Tony is a coercive jackass.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
[ ] - He was super hot when he was 19

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

LuiCypher posted:

People want to assume he's bad dad because that's just easier.

No, because it's objectively a true fact that he is a bad dad.

Maybe he's just bad at being a dad. Maybe there's a contrived reason that he has to behave like a bad dad. It doesn't have to be deliberate malicious intent on his part, but it doesn't matter, what matters is the result.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Option b surma and Anthony are in on the court's mission to make a god and Annie is experiment 1a.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

LuiCypher posted:

First, Donlans probably ain't 'turning against him'. They know him waaaaaaaaaaay better than everyone in the thread does or wants to admit.

Case in point, go back and read the Microsat 5 chapter.

There's a lot about Tony outwardly showing nothing, or even being dismissive of what is going on around him, but privately he is very, very emotional about things. People are assuming from his stoic demeanor that he doesn't care/is a terrible person/is a horrible father/needs to die, but that's extremely shortsighted/stupid/ridiculous and disregarding much of Tony's character - not to mention the similarities between him and Antimony.

People want to assume he's bad dad because that's just easier. But never forget - Surma picked him, not the apparently rad dad Eglamore. There's a reason for that that we simply don't know at the moment, but I suspect that there is much more to Tony than the rest of you are willing to admit.

Well, the Chapter is called "The Tree". I am assuming that there will be a tree at some point, specifically THE tree. But if I'm not mistaken, said tree is not in Gillitie Wood.
He is a bad dad. I saw it, with my eyes, him being a bad dad. It doesn't matter if he secretly loves Annie, in fact keeping his love for his daughter secret is pretty lovely in and of itself.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
He's a wet blanket elemental and she thought that would snuff out the fire elemental.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tony Carver is an abusive dad. He is probably not trying to hurt Annie, and has her best interests at heart, but he can't handle the responsibility. Good intentions do not excuse bad results. Bad results do not erase good intentions.

Rereading The Stone recently, Surma explicitly chose Tony over Jimmy Jims. Whatever her reason for choosing him, she at least had one; it wasn't just a case of him being the only human male around when fire needed to spread.

Definitely looks like sincere love between them too.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Tenebrais posted:

Tony Carver is an abusive dad. He is probably not trying to hurt Annie, and has her best interests at heart, but he can't handle the responsibility. Good intentions do not excuse bad results. Bad results do not erase good intentions.

I had a halfway flippant response followed by a carepost, but this basically said everything I wanted to say in many, many less words. I hesitate to call him a horrible father because I want to see where he goes before I judge, but I won't hesitate to call what he did abusive.

There's a lot about Tony that we simply don't know, and I'm kind of glad he's entered the comic now so that we do get the chance to see more of him, his motivations, and see if he gets an interesting character arc where he becomes a better father and a positive influence in Antimony's life. I want to see him dig a really deep well before we all mutually piss in it first, though.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I bet this ends with Andrew commanding Reynardine to do something bad or else him killing Reynardine with little fanfare.

Either you mean Anthony or one of us is wildly misreading Smitty's character.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Tenebrais posted:

Whatever her reason for choosing him, she at least had one; it wasn't just a case of him being the only human male around when fire needed to spread.

That page doesn't really confirm much. It confirms that Surma CHOSE Anthony, but there's nothing there that says there was a GOOD reason for choosing Anthony over Eglamore. After all, Eglamore openly states that he doesn't understand why the choice was made as it was.

It could very well have been as simple as a biological timer. Eglamore could have just been out training on the wrong day and welp.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Tenebrais posted:

Rereading The Stone recently, Surma explicitly chose Tony over Jimmy Jims. Whatever her reason for choosing him, she at least had one; it wasn't just a case of him being the only human male around when fire needed to spread.

Definitely looks like sincere love between them too.

alternatively

Rand Brittain posted:

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

ComradeCosmobot posted:

That page doesn't really confirm much. It confirms that Surma CHOSE Anthony, but there's nothing there that says there was a GOOD reason for choosing Anthony over Eglamore. After all, Eglamore openly states that he doesn't understand why the choice was made as it was.

It could very well have been as simple as a biological timer. Eglamore could have just been out training on the wrong day and welp.

I think Jimmy-Jims not wanting to be responsible for her death probably had something to do with their break-up. Still no idea why she wound up going for Tony, though.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

ComradeCosmobot posted:

lol

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I can't loving believe there are still people here apologizing for Anthony's abusive behavior.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Are there? Where are they doing that?

I'd like it if you'd point it out.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

There's one right in the comic. :v:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
In his spare time, Anthony cosplays as Darth Vader

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Jackard posted:

In his spare time, Anthony cosplays as Darth Vader

So he can pretend to be a better dad?

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

YF-23 posted:

About a million times better than the "sure cheat on all your courses and spend your time with magic unstable woodland creatures that have tried to kill you, and go ahead and get used as a pawn in the court/forest rivalry too while you're at it" style of non-parenting she's been receiving so far.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Yea but that guy doesn't count for anything

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Anthony could literally wheel in a guillotine and tell Annie to lay down so he can chop her head off, and YF-23 would still say "wait wait let's hear him out" so

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!
The whole argument about Anthony's intentions reminds me a lot of the debate about whether Renard was trying to take Annie's body or not. Granted, we saw a lot more of Rey compared to Tony which made it difficult to discern his intentions, but it's interesting that some people assume Annie's dad surely must have his reasons for acting like a complete dick compared to Renard surely just pretending to attack Annie because they both love her.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I won't say that Anthony is a good dad but I will say that he's a dad who is probably good.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Blackheart posted:

I won't say that Anthony is a good dad
That would be a reach, I agree.

Blackheart posted:

but I will say that he's a dad
Ok, this is reasonable.

Blackheart posted:

who is probably good.
Whoa, hold your horses.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

ComradeCosmobot posted:

You know, perhaps The Court or someone else manipulated Surma et all so that she would fall for Tony and not Eglamore. If the Court's purpose is to make human into gods, then there's a good chance kids with supernatural powers are part of that. The powers that be could have decided that Tony + Surma would have produced a better child than Eglamore + Surma. After all, several people have commented on how Annie reflects both of her parents influence. I wouldn't be surprised to find out there's some kind of deliberate eugenics program going on with Annie, Kat, etc.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

clockworkjoe posted:

You know, perhaps The Court or someone else manipulated Surma et all so that she would fall for Tony and not Eglamore. If the Court's purpose is to make human into gods, then there's a good chance kids with supernatural powers are part of that. The powers that be could have decided that Tony + Surma would have produced a better child than Eglamore + Surma. After all, several people have commented on how Annie reflects both of her parents influence. I wouldn't be surprised to find out there's some kind of deliberate eugenics program going on with Annie, Kat, etc.

Annie is the failed experiment, Kat is the successful one.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Quantum Finger posted:

Annie is the failed experiment, Kat is the successful one.

All the more reason for Tony to be disappointed in her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Rand Brittain posted:

He's still hot.

A horrible father, though.