Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

what's even neater is you could just not show up to drill and they'll just adsep you too, if you want an easy out

If I go reserves I get a bonus so that's not really an option.

Paging DustyNuts to the thread!

I've lived in Wisconsin my entire pre military life, graduated High School there, driver's license, college, have always claimed State income tax there, etc. I currently own a home in Wisconsin. That being said, on my DD4 it lists my home of record as Illinois for some loving reason. At the time I was living in my car and I imagine the recruiter told me "Who cares, put your girlfriend's house or something.", and it looks like that's what I did. However, I never actually lived there at all. I'm on my way out and would much rather have Wisconsin's Veteran's benefits since they're loving amazing (free college, free college for dependents if over 30% disabled, I'll be at or above 50%). Everything I've read says that your HOR for enlisted can only be changed if you reenlist after one full day has passed, OR it was entered in error, with the burden of proof being on me (obviously).

Is it at all feasible that I can change my HOR? If so should I head to PSD to get it taken care of or contact Millington, and what would I need?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

vulturesrow posted:

Having to wear NWUs on the regular now really blows.

Our office is in a building-wide SCIF and it's the only office from our command in the entire area of the base. So unless we have to go anywhere, have anyone come by us, or do something official I usually just come in and stay in civvies.

These last two weeks I've been in DC. NWU's are bullshit.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Analogical posted:

If you're anything but an E4, good luck going CTN. I've been fighting to cross over as an E5 and unless you're YG 08/09, there's hardly any billets right now and the few available take an interview with a CTNCS, NCC and a final talk with the TechAd. TechAd isn't even considering people without current IT certs or documented college with a CS/CYB degree plan. Not sure what it looks like for E6s though you could check CWAY for conversion-IR quotas.

CTN will swallow you faster than an E2 boot if you're an E4 though. Get a DUI and ask for reduction in rank :toot:

Not a nuke and I fit the magic 09 Yeargroup, so there that at least...

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

PneumonicBook posted:

If I go reserves I get a bonus so that's not really an option.

Paging DustyNuts to the thread!

I've lived in Wisconsin my entire pre military life, graduated High School there, driver's license, college, have always claimed State income tax there, etc. I currently own a home in Wisconsin. That being said, on my DD4 it lists my home of record as Illinois for some loving reason. At the time I was living in my car and I imagine the recruiter told me "Who cares, put your girlfriend's house or something.", and it looks like that's what I did. However, I never actually lived there at all. I'm on my way out and would much rather have Wisconsin's Veteran's benefits since they're loving amazing (free college, free college for dependents if over 30% disabled, I'll be at or above 50%). Everything I've read says that your HOR for enlisted can only be changed if you reenlist after one full day has passed, OR it was entered in error, with the burden of proof being on me (obviously).

Is it at all feasible that I can change my HOR? If so should I head to PSD to get it taken care of or contact Millington, and what would I need?

You're correct, you've probably read the MPM article for this.

quote:

a. A correction to the HOR (for officer and enlisted) may
be authorized in those instances when, through a bona fide
error, the place originally named at time of current entry into
the Service was not in fact the actual home. Any such
correction must be fully justified and the home, as corrected,
must be the actual home of the member upon entering the Service,
and not a different place selected for the member’s convenience.

b. Approval by NAVPERSCOM (PERS-312D) is required to
correct an erroneous HOR. Requests shall be submitted, via the
chain of command, to NAVPERSCOM (PERS-312D) for approval, and
must include sufficient documentary evidence to support the
member’s claim.

Get a written statement from someone in Wisconsin (parents?) that your correct address at the time of enlistment was actually the address they provide, and that the address you provided at enlistment was in error. Write a letter of your own (to PERS-312D) asking for your HOR to be changed, using your supporting letter as an enclosure. Call 1-800-U-ASK-NPC to get the correct POC for PERS-312D, either by mail, email or FAX. Send your stuff over to them and hope for the best!

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

DustyNuts posted:

You're correct, you've probably read the MPM article for this.

Get a written statement from someone in Wisconsin (parents?) that your correct address at the time of enlistment was actually the address they provide, and that the address you provided at enlistment was in error. Write a letter of your own (to PERS-312D) asking for your HOR to be changed, using your supporting letter as an enclosure. Call 1-800-U-ASK-NPC to get the correct POC for PERS-312D, either by mail, email or FAX. Send your stuff over to them and hope for the best!

Thanks! As always I appreciate the awesome help you provide!

E: Would it be worth it to have the letter notarized?

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 14, 2015

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Akula Raskolnikova posted:

Not only am I a corpsman, I'm also a lab tech. So, there are only 20 of us total in the fleet. And they're all PO2+, so I'm not going to get a ship. It would be pretty awful from what I'm told, so I'm content working 7-4 at a clinic somewhere.

I know this is a hella old post, but I was at TAPS and finding out the requirements for a Master's/Ph.D program I want to jump into.

If you end up wanting to make lab tech a career, or just earning extra money on the side, look up on Navy COOL or even with your instructors at the school for informatoin on the civilian certification. Some C Schools it's automatic like with Respiratory techs, but some of the other ones, like Psych and Surg techs, you have to challenge the civilian certification authorities' test. Being at a hospital, you have so much free time it's ridiculous. You might end up working shift work if there's an ER at the hospital you're assigned to.

If you need help navigating some of the Navy COOL stuff, I've done it before and could help you find information. It's a pretty straightforward process though.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

To the Petty Officer 1rst class having a bad day.

I'm sorry I didnt say good morning to you. Because its lunch and quite cloudy. Also you have aviators on so I couldnt see your eyes. That and you were 10 yards away at least. But, yes who knows we might actually be shipmates some day!

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

LingcodKilla posted:

I'm sorry I didnt say good morning to you. Because its lunch and quite cloudy. Also you have aviators on so I couldnt see your eyes. That and you were 10 yards away at least. But, yes who knows we might actually be shipmates some day!

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

i heard going rc to ac is drat near impossible tho. also i dont see why not just mobilize, same bennies and points towards gi bill/retirement, and you have the option of just chillin at home and being a weekend warrior when you get back from mob

I'm working on orders right now with my LPO, helpful dude whose gotten a few people on long term orders within our unit. RC/AC was just my first option before I got more vocal on requesting orders/MOBs. And I'm top of the short list too, and called in mob office to try and get something.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

squarerandom posted:

I'm working on orders right now with my LPO, helpful dude whose gotten a few people on long term orders within our unit. RC/AC was just my first option before I got more vocal on requesting orders/MOBs. And I'm top of the short list too, and called in mob office to try and get something.

what's your rate brother?

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

LingcodKilla posted:

If he ain't got bars on his oval office cap he can gently caress right off.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Mad Dragon posted:

If he ain't got bars on his oval office cap he can gently caress right off.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

what's your rate brother?

I'm a CTT my man.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
This gif:

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

What the gently caress, its just hanging there in the air? Doesn't look right to me.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRaaoKUGc7E

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

squarerandom posted:

I'm a CTT my man.

rad man. like i was talkin earlier us intel dudes are hot commodities for mob opportunities. hope you get some rad orders.
i'm waiting till i get frocked to third class before i start trying to mob, which shouldnt be too long here. talked to my LCPO and he's a really cool rear end EOD and was totally down with doing everything he's gotta do to get my rear end frocked

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

What is the general consensus on the USMap program? I have avoided doing anything with it for the past 3 years, but if it is actually going to benefit me when I separate and get a Big Boy Career I might start logging hours. I remain skeptical but would like to hear an opinion without the usual COC spin.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Lou Takki posted:

What the gently caress, its just hanging there in the air? Doesn't look right to me.

Its a conspiracy just like 9/11.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Gray Matter posted:

What is the general consensus on the USMap program? I have avoided doing anything with it for the past 3 years, but if it is actually going to benefit me when I separate and get a Big Boy Career I might start logging hours. I remain skeptical but would like to hear an opinion without the usual COC spin.

Depends on what you're aiming for. Like with a lot of Corpsmen it's peddled as a program to get a nursing degree easily but in reality your hours are translated to some civilian job, so most corpsmen working a front desk end up just becoming a hospital administrator.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Gray Matter posted:

I've got a couple of US Maps certs. I have no idea if they're worth the paper they're printed on but they take so little effort to complete why not do it? I guess I can report back in like 8 months when I actually start sending resumes out.

Also thanks for reminding me, I need to go log hours for the past 4 months. :toot:

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
US Maps?

Edit: Nevermind, found what you're talking about

:siren: https://www.metabunk.org/threads/debunked-leaked-us-navy-map-new-madrid-submerged-us.3777/ :siren:

quote:

(Leaked US Navy Map) This is what the continent of the USA will look like once the New Madrid Fault line is hit with a massive HAARP frequency impulse in the nearing future. Get informed and get ready. PS: Make sure to save, and get this out to as many people as possible, as they have tried censoring this photo in the past removing it from google images, and removing commentated youtube videos regarding it etc. I was very fortunate to have come across it again.

Naturally, the actual US Maps program has trades for every flavor of CT but CTI.

Analogical fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 15, 2015

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
how the heck do i access my navy email from home?
i got my cac reader and etc

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

https://militarycac.com/owa.htm#Navy

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
so wait, i'm technically not allowed to look at my email on a non-NIPer/government pc?

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

so wait, i'm technically not allowed to look at my email on a non-NIPer/government pc?

but I'll never tell ;)

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
it would appear none of these sites are workin for me, unfortunately, so i can't even break the rules if i want to and i kinda do

Chuckle
Feb 9, 2013

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

NMCI or ONE-NET?

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

Chuckle posted:

NMCI or ONE-NET?

i was trying thru NMCI via the links my crypto friend here provided me

Chuckle
Feb 9, 2013
i usually used either one of the following depending on the coast you're on

Navy East https://webmail.east.nmci.navy.mil
Navy West https://webmail.west.nmci.navy.mil

select your email certificate when using this, and make sure you're using IE for this, as much as it pains me to say so, sometimes chrome is hit and miss with the certificates for cac enabled websites.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

Chuckle posted:

i usually used either one of the following depending on the coast you're on

Navy East https://webmail.east.nmci.navy.mil
Navy West https://webmail.west.nmci.navy.mil

select your email certificate when using this, and make sure you're using IE for this, as much as it pains me to say so, sometimes chrome is hit and miss with the certificates for cac enabled websites.

hey, look at that, i got it to work. thanks bud

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
What black magic is needed to access NKO pr NSIPS from home, I am on a PC with a CAC reader.

Yesterday I went to a warehouse on Gulfport and found DARE pencil case holders from 1990. Learned a lot

Chuckle
Feb 9, 2013

maffew buildings posted:

What black magic is needed to access NKO pr NSIPS from home, I am on a PC with a CAC reader.

Yesterday I went to a warehouse on Gulfport and found DARE pencil case holders from 1990. Learned a lot

Pretty sure to be able to access those you need to be on a .mil domain. Not 100% sure on that, and looking it up while at home... :effort:

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Have you followed the steps on this site: https://militarycac.com/

I somehow got mine to work eventually, using internet explorer 10 and I think I had to use it in compatibility mode.

Akula Raskolnikova
May 12, 2013

Pandasmores posted:

I know this is a hella old post, but I was at TAPS and finding out the requirements for a Master's/Ph.D program I want to jump into.

If you end up wanting to make lab tech a career, or just earning extra money on the side, look up on Navy COOL or even with your instructors at the school for informatoin on the civilian certification. Some C Schools it's automatic like with Respiratory techs, but some of the other ones, like Psych and Surg techs, you have to challenge the civilian certification authorities' test. Being at a hospital, you have so much free time it's ridiculous. You might end up working shift work if there's an ER at the hospital you're assigned to.

If you need help navigating some of the Navy COOL stuff, I've done it before and could help you find information. It's a pretty straightforward process though.

The military lab tech program doesn't require an ASCP certification, but all of the classes we take in the program are graded and registered by George Washington University, so we get a degree, and there is time built in to the schedule to study for and take the civilian ASCP exam, and the Navy pays for it. I take it in July, and once I pass, I'll keep the MLT certification for ever. I don't want it to be a career, but it's a nice thing to have, just in case.
And I am going to capitalize on the free time I'll have to go to school, I'm going to squeeze every penny I can out of the Navy while I'm in.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Sir Lucius posted:

Have you followed the steps on this site: https://militarycac.com/

I somehow got mine to work eventually, using internet explorer 10 and I think I had to use it in compatibility mode.

Will give that site a go, thanks.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
In all my years in the Navy I have never felt even the slightest urge to check my Navy email account from anywhere other than work. WTH is wrong with you people?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

vulturesrow posted:

In all my years in the Navy I have never felt even the slightest urge to check my Navy email account from anywhere other than work. WTH is wrong with you people?

Reservists.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
http://www.navytimes.com/story/military/2015/04/16/marco-ramirez-pacific-fleet-master-chief/25892169/

Welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

tosh is so good even the navy times reports about him

• Locked thread