Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Xiahou Dun posted:

Are you actually gonna make me list retarded D&D terms or are you just that shot sighted?

DW doesn't even have AC.

Also that's not what Forward means.

Please ignore Plutonis to maintain a harmonious forum environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

quote:

Mages in both oWoD and nWoD have Atlantean Soul Shards that give them their powers. 
Onyx Path made a Mummy "game" for release to their online fans. If we count Onyx Path's Demon as "existing" we'd have to count Mummy: the Curse as well. I can't be hosed to read either one, but the oWoD version of both of them involved fusing to soul shards. 

I genuinely don't know what the story is for nWoD Hunters, because that book is loving unreadable. The oWoD version is about fusing to soul shards. 

-Frank

Still clinging to his incredibly idiosyncratic conception of ~vaporware~. He even puts scare quotes around "game" when referring to Mummy. Coherent, well-typed crazy is my favorite.

And then I found the Den's Blades in the Dark thread.

quote:

I'm surprised that Arkane Studios hasn't sued yet and gotten the production shut down. It reads so close to the setting of Dishonored that at first I thought they had licensed it. 

Which they haven't. But of course it's a social dystopia industrial fantasy where the rich aristocrats fund their society on maritime "whale" hunting (here called leviathans) that is strongly hinted that is more damaging than beneficial. They even call the city Duskwall instead of Dunwall. 

Though instead of playing Corvo, you play Doud. 

Edit: Holy poo poo this is a complete plagiarism. I'd call it a palate swap but it doesn't look like it even raises up to that level. One of the stretch goals is literally to have a scenario where you play a gang of assassins bent on assassinating the emperor. 

The only "originality" that I see so far is that they haven't invoked The Outsider, and instead of a plague the city is haunted.

quote:

Well we'll find out. I emailed Bethesda & Arkane and let them know they might want a lawyer to look the page over. If it gets to publication then they decided not to litigate.

quote:

Incidentally, I wasn't expecting followup contact from Bethesda so fast, but they contacted me yesterday, asked some follow-up questions, and then thanked me profusely and said that because of the nature of potential legal actions they couldn't comment any further on the subject. 

So apparently someone thought it was important enough to wake Legal up on a Sunday to look into.

quote:

Of course there's no lawsuit. And I didn't say there would be. I said that Bethesda's legal team was going to investigate, and that I, as a fan of Dishonored, was legitimately confused as to if this was licensed IP or not. I doubt that anyone has gone over anything in the last... 16 hours or so. 

And even in my email I specifically said I was unfamiliar with IP law and that it might be totally legitimate. It didn't seem that way to me but I'm not a lawyer.

I didn't say they would so totally get sued, I just said I was surprised they haven't been sued yet!

quote:

Yeah, after browsing the KS page I am very interested in how this plays out legal-wise because that author has definitely visited the Limbo-of-the-Lost-School-of-Game-Inspirations.

And, of course: bears bears bears bears

quote:

Oh good, it even uses failing forward mechanics. What a clusterfuck of terrible.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Wait, what's wrong with fail forward?

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

GrizzlyCow posted:

It can't be fun if loving up a dice roll or a similar game mechanic cannot result in game grinding to a halt and forcing you to abandon the current character/scenario/entire game.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

GrizzlyCow posted:

The grog misinterpretation of what fail forward means* makes them think that it renders the game irrelevant: "why roll for stuff, why play at all if it means you're going to :airquote: go forwards :airquote: regardless?"

* to be charitable, it should probably have been called "fail sideways" or maybe "fail interestingly", but grogs being grogs that wouldn't stop them from decrying it as bad.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

GrizzlyCow posted:

A bunch of people are convinced that "fail forward" means that success and failure have no appreciable difference, not realizing that "forward" refers to the plot of the game not stopping dead on its tracks because the thief didn't manage to unlock the door.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

What is THAC0? What does a saving throw even mean? How are the different schools of magic differentiated from each other?

And yes, you could conceivably find out all this by reading the book, but that's no different from reading DW and inculcating their definitions of Keywords from reading the book.

Forward has no connection with EONT because Forward lasts until your next roll, because DW has no turns per se.

THAC0 is archaic and not used anymore. The magic schools are differentiated with easy to learn names and saving throws are dice throws you do to save yourself, what is hard about that?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

paradoxGentleman posted:

A bunch of people are convinced that "fail forward" means that success and failure have no appreciable difference, not realizing that "forward" refers to the plot of the game not stopping dead on its tracks because the thief didn't manage to unlock the door.

This in general, and the Den's particular flavor of crazy interprets "fail forward" to mean the GM constantly makes up monkey cheese random haha bullshit because that's obviously what these rules encourage. Frank spent a good handful of posts, including a little essay, trying to look clever "deconstructing" fail forward by demonstrating how it results in bears just coming out of loving nowhere all the time. One of his complaints was seriously along the lines of "it requires creativity to improv all the time instead of obeying extensive written rules :qq:"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The Gaming Den is built around the idea that the DM will always - always - use the most uncharitable and meanspirited understanding of the rules in every situation, and thus you have to beat him by finding loopholes and miswordings, proving your understanding of the rules to be greater. Likewise games require the most complex and ironclad rule systems possible to ensure players can weaponize them against their GMs. Doing anything in-game that doesn't have explicitly support or answers in the rules is just playing pretend and is thus merely a "magic tea party" - WHERE THE DM CAN SCREW YOU AGAIN!!!

Trying to get a really popular kickstarter sued and shutdown entirely out of spite is a pretty new low for them, admittingly.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
The fact that people looked at Blades in the Dark and saw a Dishonored-ripoff instead of a Thief-homage is sad and ironic. I think it might be a meaningful piece of performance art or something.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Frank having a complete and total break from reality over anything and everything Onyx Path is barely grog at this point. He's clearly reporting from an alternate reality. I wonder what he thinks of those bright red flying molluscs that bring him new RPG books.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Sage Genesis posted:

The fact that people looked at Blades in the Dark and saw a Dishonored-ripoff instead of a Thief-homage is sad and ironic. I think it might be a meaningful piece of performance art or something.

I haven't played Dishonored yet (it's still free to PlayStation Plus users!) but did whaling really play a big role in the game, to the point that Blades' leviathan stuff is the same kind of direct ripoffhomage as Duskwall/Dunwall?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Plague of Hats posted:

Please ignore Plutonis to maintain a harmonious forum environment.

Running away from conflict might have worked enough for you on EX3 but not on real life.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

DigitalRaven posted:

Frank having a complete and total break from reality over anything and everything Onyx Path is barely grog at this point. He's clearly reporting from an alternate reality. I wonder what he thinks of those bright red flying molluscs that bring him new RPG books.

Now that I think of it, did oMummy even have "soul fusion"? I recall it having you be more traditionally spiritually/physically continuous mummies.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Plague of Hats posted:

I haven't played Dishonored yet (it's still free to PlayStation Plus users!) but did whaling really play a big role in the game, to the point that Blades' leviathan stuff is the same kind of direct ripoffhomage as Duskwall/Dunwall?
Everything ran on whale oil and whale bones were used to make magic charms and stuff that gave the PC either little modifications of how things worked like moving faster when crouching, or to make the things which gave you more points to unlock magic powers with.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
The problem with Star Wars roleplaying is that there just isn’t enough support for people who want to play as slavers.

quote:

I always love posting the slaver specialization idea... I find it humorous. Not the actual idea of slavery, which I bet most people allow to happen in their daily lives, but that it it so much worse than playin a murderer for higher or drug runner.

I know the history of slavery. It is a vile thing. Part of the reason I became vegan, because I can't stand the idea of a sentient being used in such a way. But it does have a place in the Star Wars universe. Droids are slaves. So many twi'lek are slaves, the zygerrians were renowned slavers. The empire deals with slaves. It is horrible I don't deny that.

The thing is this is a game. There are horrible things. There are many things I am not that I have played, whether at the table or stage and screen. I'm not a Romulan, but I've played one. I'm not a woman I've played one. I'm not a Jedi, hutt, and so on. I've played murderers and thieves, Paladins and priests all things I'm not. I've played a Nazi (on stage) and as a GM, and that is some of the most deplorable people. But I don't subscribe to that philosophy. Never have, never will. But I can see the difference between the fictional and the actual.

There is a good chance that this specialization will not have the name I suggest. Perhaps it will. Perhaps it should. Some stories should be told. Not to degrade an individual but to educate another. The story potential is there for the vile slaver as much as the one who renounces his ways.

Be open minded, as well as mindful of the connotations and don't let playing a character define who you are. Unless you suspect that every actor on game of thrones has done horrible, horrible things.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Plague of Hats posted:

Now that I think of it, did oMummy even have "soul fusion"? I recall it having you be more traditionally spiritually/physically continuous mummies.

Of his drivel:

* oMage had "soul shards", but they weren't Atlantean.
* nMage doesn't have "soul shards".
* nMummy doesn't have "soul shards".
* oMummy does have them, but only in one of the three versions (Mummy: The Resurrection). A fragment of an old and powerful Egyptian soul bonds to the soul & body of one of the recently dead and offers them a chance at rebirth.
* nDemon doesn't have "soul shards".
* oDemon doesn't involve "soul shards". A demon jumps in to a human at the moment of death, replacing the soul.
* nHunter doesn't have "soul shards", and is perfectly readable. A drat sight more than After loving Sundown, anyway.
* oHunter doesn't have "soul shards", people hear the Messengers for other reasons. If you take the Time of Judgment book as gospel, it's because they're reincarnations of Solar Exalted. Nobody does, though.

So out of the eight games he references, only one and a third involves "soul shards".

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

DigitalRaven posted:

Of his drivel:

* nMage doesn't have "soul shards".

It's got soul stones. Maybe that's what he's thinking of? Nothing like what he's describing, of course, but it might explain where he's getting the kernel of the idea that he's twisted so far out of shape.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Plague of Hats posted:

Nah. Whales are used for their oil to power machines (think gasoline) and their bones as well to a lesser extent. But that's a setting detail with no impact on gameplay or the story. It's a bit like saying Dishonored is all about the lumbering industry just because the buildings have wooden support beams.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Sage Genesis posted:

John Harper himself calls out Dishonored as a "media touchstone" to Blades, though, and the Duskwall/Dunwall thing is very deliberate, so seeing that first over Thief isn't really all that out there.

It's the fact that the Den thinks this is something that could ever conceivably be worth a lawsuit over that's groggy.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I just read a wiki summary of some of Dishonored's setting, and now I know "someone, somewhere, for some reason, wants to assassinate an imperial ruler" is an incredibly unique piece of IP.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

gradenko_2000 posted:

John Harper himself calls out Dishonored as a "media touchstone" to Blades, though, and the Duskwall/Dunwall thing is very deliberate, so seeing that first over Thief isn't really all that out there.

It's the fact that the Den thinks this is something that could ever conceivably be worth a lawsuit over that's groggy.

Fair point. It's just that Dishonored is itself rather a bit Thief-inspired so I think more in this terms I guess. But yeah, definitely not worth a lawsuit.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

gradenko_2000 posted:

Especially given that "Popular Thing X But With The Serial Numbers Scratched Off" has been at the core of the hobby since the beginning (check out how many "Star Trek, only not" games existed in the late 1970s), and "Unofficial Adaptation of X" has produced some of its biggest games: Vampire/Anne Rice, Conspiracy X/X-Files, Cyberpunk/William Gibson, and so on. So long as you don't use actual names in your product (like early D&D did with hobbits and ents), you're in the clear.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Plague of Hats posted:

This in general, and the Den's particular flavor of crazy interprets "fail forward" to mean the GM constantly makes up monkey cheese random haha bullshit because that's obviously what these rules encourage. Frank spent a good handful of posts, including a little essay, trying to look clever "deconstructing" fail forward by demonstrating how it results in bears just coming out of loving nowhere all the time. One of his complaints was seriously along the lines of "it requires creativity to improv all the time instead of obeying extensive written rules :qq:"
loving sold.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN

The Sin of Onan posted:

Even if you take class and concept as synonymous, and even if you accept his apparent belief that only moral people make viable RPG characters, there's still plenty of ways that someone can learn a thief's set of skills and still be a moral person.

You grew up as an orphan on the mean streets of [insert fantasy metropolis here], looking after your little siblings after your poor parents died of [war, plague, industrial accidents, rampaging monsters, etc]. There was no work, so you had to feed your family by turning to theft, stealing bread from the merchants' stalls behind their backs, picking the pockets of the occasional rich-looking person who wandered into the market district, learning to pick the locks of abandoned warehouses or break into derelict old buildings just so your brothers and sisters had somewhere to sleep out of the rain.

Boom. Done. Moral thief character.
Or you could just say "Robin Hood".

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

GrizzlyCow posted:

If you fail your foraging roll and have to fight/sneak past a T-Rex in order to get water for you and yours it's a communist conspiracy to destroy games.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You don't find any supplies, but you discover (plot hook goes here).

I think it's safe to say he's arguing in bad faith. Or he has never, ever in his life brushed with a creative DM. I'm not sure which scenario is sadder.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

moths posted:

I think it's safe to say he's arguing in bad faith. Or he has never, ever in his life brushed with a creative DM. I'm not sure which scenario is sadder.

It could be both.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

moths posted:

You don't find any supplies, but you discover (plot hook goes here).

It's Frank. Bad faith is the only way he knows to argue.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I like fail forward as a GM cause it lets me think of interesting stuff and stops me having to sit there and wait while people gently caress up doing something over and over when its just like a locked door or some poo poo and its boring for everyone involved. Plus for me it covers kind of a gap in a lot of pnp RPGs, in that in the real world there's not much to stop you sitting there forever and trying to pick a lock over and over, especially if its in some turd basement in a ruin. So really you could just 'abuse' the rules and roll lockpick over and over and over and over until you get a natural 20. With fail forward I can move the plot along and explain why they can't just sit there trying to pick a lock over and over (eg you set off an alarm spell while picking the lock, a patrol of relevant enemies shows up to investigate, you fight em, they have a key or something)

Plus I improv most stuff anyway, cause I don't like to do a lot of prep, I come up with a rough outline then respond to what the players are doing, cause it's never what you plan them to do. I guess if you write your games as an intricately crafted SAW-style trap for your players you might not like fail forward.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Nihilarian posted:

loving sold.

BRB, designing a system where every action you attempt has a chance of causing bears to appear.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
Weird thing is, I think I know where the "bears bears bears" complaint comes from. The book uses an example where a party tries a cliff and, as the price for failure, the noises they make during the climb wakes up a hibernating werebear. So the "fail forward" rules created a werebear.

Except it doesn't need to. There is nothing in the example saying the werebear spontaneously materialized as a result of the failed climb checks. For all we know that werebear already existed in the DM's notes. The rolls just woke it up. Why not? Who says you can't pre-define some fail forward scenarios in your adventure planning? Here is a locked door, DC 20 to pick quietly, failure means it opens but the alarm goes off. This isn't rocket surgery. And it doesn't have to offend old school sensibilities either. (In fact, old school random encounters tend to conjure up monsters and gangs out of thin air. They are easily even more magic make believe than 13th Age, except replace the whims of the DM with the whims of RNG and charts.)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Charts don't have whims, they're objective arbiters of a perfectly accurate fantasy world simulation :smaug:

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

quote:

So,

I have seen the Angel Summoner & BMX Bandit videos brought up a lot and decided to watch one.

I don’t understand why anyone would compare that to any edition of D&D. I don’t care how powerful you think Clerics/Druids/Wizards (or Magic-Users) are, it is not remotely the same.

From what I saw: BMX Bandit scopes out the situation devices a plan. A plan that revolves around his apparent sole physical skill (Bike Riding) and then the Angel Summoner points out that he can solve it by summoning Angels.

Some Notes:

1) BMX Bandit apparently has the investigation/stealth/gather knowledge skills, and finds out what needs to be done.

2) BMX Bandit is the leader, as Angel Summoner never questions the goals only the methods.

3) BMX Bandit should realize that it is his own fault that he has no combat skills should stop trying to plan attacks based around his feeble physical skill and/or pick up a freakin gun.

Also, if this were an RPG Game, why would the DM put these two up against mundane only enemies? Why not have an evil witchdoctor that can block some angel power.

Sorry, this is all pretty pointless, but it is my rant and i am sticking to it.

RK

The video in question.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

EIDT: I am dumb ignore me

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Sage Genesis posted:

Weird thing is, I think I know where the "bears bears bears" complaint comes from. The book uses an example where a party tries a cliff and, as the price for failure, the noises they make during the climb wakes up a hibernating werebear. So the "fail forward" rules created a werebear.

Except it doesn't need to. There is nothing in the example saying the werebear spontaneously materialized as a result of the failed climb checks. For all we know that werebear already existed in the DM's notes. The rolls just woke it up. Why not? Who says you can't pre-define some fail forward scenarios in your adventure planning? Here is a locked door, DC 20 to pick quietly, failure means it opens but the alarm goes off. This isn't rocket surgery. And it doesn't have to offend old school sensibilities either. (In fact, old school random encounters tend to conjure up monsters and gangs out of thin air. They are easily even more magic make believe than 13th Age, except replace the whims of the DM with the whims of RNG and charts.)

I think it speaks to lack of willingness to let any one part of the game leak into another, like a person fussy about the food on his plate. For him, the way I would read it if I were inclined to be charitable to his viewpoint as regards the example, he may say in his ideal mode of play that the bear either is or isn't there, period. The failure state of of climbing is falling, not making noise. Because the players are climbing, not moving silently, they wake up the bear if it happens to be there no matter what happens with the climb, unless they specified they were going out of their way to climb quietly.

I am not feeling particularly charitable however, gaming is not reality, and attempts to model it as such are ultimately futile. That way lies rolls for anal circumference and dying from infection because you failed to clean a minor scratch you got while traveling through the bush. Without all the sensory information that you would take in during a real situation, players can hardly be expected to react appropriately.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 18, 2015

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

remusclaw posted:

I think it speaks to lack of willingness to let any one part of the game leak into another, like a person fussy about the food on his plate. For him, the way I would read it if I were inclined to be charitable to his viewpoint as regards the example, he may say in his ideal mode of play that the bear either is or isn't there, period. The failure state of of climbing is falling, not making noise. Because the players are climbing, not moving silently, they wake up the bear if it happens to be there no matter what happens with the climb, unless they specified they were going out of their way to climb quietly.

I know you're not disagreeing with me, but the fundamental disconnect is right here.

13th Age doesn't have a climb skill. It doesn't have climb checks. All it has are checks to overcome an obstacle in a timely fashion without further complications, and climbing might sometimes be a part of those. The bear didn't wake up due to "noise" it woke up due to "too much noise". There is a difference. The former assumes that sound is a binary issue, whereas the latter shows a scenario where the PCs were fumbling around so much that the noises of their efforts eventually proved too much.

In a strange kind of way, I find that this sort of "messy" organic resolution leads to more believable outcomes than the so-called "realistic" crunch of vanilla D&D.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Again, remember who is making the complaint. The Gaming Den takes the idea of an antagonistic DM to be holy writ; their whole schtick is that you need to use the rules to fight the DM.

There's nothing bad faith in every argument. Because then they WIN!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sage Genesis posted:

I know you're not disagreeing with me, but the fundamental disconnect is right here.

13th Age doesn't have a climb skill. It doesn't have climb checks. All it has are checks to overcome an obstacle in a timely fashion without further complications, and climbing might sometimes be a part of those. The bear didn't wake up due to "noise" it woke up due to "too much noise". There is a difference. The former assumes that sound is a binary issue, whereas the latter shows a scenario where the PCs were fumbling around so much that the noises of their efforts eventually proved too much.

In a strange kind of way, I find that this sort of "messy" organic resolution leads to more believable outcomes than the so-called "realistic" crunch of vanilla D&D.
It's not really strange, since real life is also messy and organic.

Plague of Hats posted:

I would think it requires more creativity to work out how to continue an adventure when the players abjectly fail to complete a required sub-task than it does to work out how completing the required sub-task poorly has negative consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sage Genesis posted:

Yeah, it's funny because it's really just a case of epistemological confusion. There's really no difference between a hidden set of notes somewhere, a monster closet, or literal beings being conjured out of thin air. I've always wondered if there's some old grog-mine I've missed about the epistemology of roleplaying. It's all navel gazing but it would be fun to see someone write a full thesis about some sort of perceived difference between the two to any player group.

• Locked thread