Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Obsolete posted:

Not sure this is the right place, but a friend recommended me the book Ready Player One. Hoooo boy. It could probably better be called "Tales of a Reddit Manchild: The Book."

It has it all, our savvy hero tearing apart not one, but two high school bullies with verbal takedowns (and everyone cheers afterwards), militant atheism, self-diagnosed Asbergers, friendzones, super hacker skills, magical virtual currency, weird obsession with 80s nerd culture, all wrapped in a "video games are the only thing that understands me" narrative.

Can't say I'd recommend it, but it feels like the id of this entire thread. It's a decent hate-read.

I was surprised to learn it wasn't by Cory Doctorow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsolete
Jun 1, 2000

^^^^ In the book, Cory, along with Will Wheaton, are presidents of the virtual MMO they all kinda live in. For real.

Wizard of Smart posted:

You obviously have to do a let's read. Preferably on par with the Miranda Leek Twisted thread.

That sounds a bit too ambitious for me, but this is literally how the book starts.

quote:

Being human totally sucks most of the time.

Videogames are the only thing that make life bearable.

Obsolete has a new favorite as of 02:09 on Apr 15, 2015

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Obsolete posted:

That sounds a bit too ambitious for me, but this is literally how the book starts.

... :frogon:

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

AlbieQuirky posted:

You have to hear the IDontEvenOwnATelevision.com episode reviewing it. You will die laughing.

Thanks for this, I'd never heard of that site - this is good listening.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Sentient Data posted:

I'd have to agree - I love me some sushi and curry, but I'd have to rank potatoes as even higher than rice as the best staple ever. Hell, I'm sure curried chicken would be delicious over some fried cubed potatoes - I'll give that a shot next time

:eek: You've never had aloo curry? It's so good. Also, Japanese-style curry has potatoes (and carrots), and goes very nicely with katsu chicken.

OctoberBlues posted:

Thanks for this, I'd never heard of that site - this is good listening.

Ditto, listening to the Ready Player One episode now and looking forward to the Ayn Rand and Piers Anthony episodes later.

Obsolete
Jun 1, 2000

AlbieQuirky wasn't kidding about that podcast. It's a really good takedown of the book. Far better than I could do. It's such a lovely, bananas book that I wouldn't even know where to start without just copy/pasting the entire thing. It's pretty much "...that kid... is INHUMAN" for 300,000 words.

The richest, most loved person in the world is a video game designer. At the end, the kid wins, inherits 200 billion virtual dollars and is granted admin rights to the MMO, which he immediately uses to smite all the bullies and win the girl that had friendzoned him earlier. He wins after proving himself as master of all that is 80s by getting a high score in Tempest, playing an old Atari game, and re-enacting scenes from Month Python and the Holy Grail.

The NYT gave this book a favorable review, by the way.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
And Spielberg is directing a movie based on it.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
I'll believe when I see it. It'll just be like that Robopocalypse movie that he was supposed to direct. One of the problems with adapting that book is there's no way they'll be able to license all the thousands of IPs tossed off handedly in the book by the dozens.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its a good book if you're not going into hate it, or don't read the stdh thread.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I love the potato story because it's basically like a Seinfeld episode.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Yessss potato story, had not seen that one in a long time. Let me tell you, I love it, especially because of the weird writing :allears:

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
Who the hell serves baked potatoes to guests anyway? That's not a we-have-guests meal.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

SybilVimes posted:

Who the hell serves baked potatoes to guests anyway? That's not a we-have-guests meal.

I don't think baked potatoes were the entire meal, just the part of it that the guy supposedly fixated on as the dish was being passed around or wahtever. They're a side item that I've seen a lot at "we-have-guests meals" - simple, easy to cook a lot of them, and most people like them. Doesn't make that story any less STDH though.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

SybilVimes posted:

I like baked potatoes. A lot. :(

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

SybilVimes posted:

They're pretty delicious as sides, how are they not a 'we-have-guests meal'?

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Fathis Munk posted:

Yessss potato story, had not seen that one in a long time. Let me tell you, I love it, especially because of the weird writing :allears:

It reads like a writing project from a person who is just learning English as a third language.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

jodai posted:

It reads like a writing project from a person who is just learning English as a third language.

And is possibly from another planet.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

My great grandparents sorta talked the same way as all these stdh stories are written. The weird expressions being overused ("Let me tell you") and something else about it I cant put my finger on. I don't remember them speaking like that when I was younger, but when they got really old and senile they just started sounding more and more like that. Then when my great grandma ended up in a retirement home and I would go to visit her, I'd talk to a bunch of senile old people (real senile, multiple strokes sometimes hallucinating crazy poo poo senile) and they all sounded even more like these stories.

So I just assumed the writers are either really old or had a bunch of strokes/limited oxygen supply to their brain.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

quote:

No ID, No Idea, Part 19
Retail | Atlanta, GA, USA | At The Checkout, Criminal/Illegal, Extra Stupid

(I work in a retail store that sells and trades video games. If you want to trade your games in for cash, you must present a valid drivers license. It’s a state law. People are constantly stealing video games from bigger stores and will then trade them to us for cash.)

Me: “Do you want store credit or cash?”

Young Man: “Cash.”

Me: “Okay, I just need to see a valid driver’s license.”

(Hands me a Florida license with a Georgia address.)

Me: “Seriously?”

Young Man: “What? It’s valid! I got that off the Internet!”

Me: “Oh, I have no doubt about that.”

(I wouldn’t give him the cash and he was just dumbfounded that his idea didn’t work.)

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

That one's bland enough that I'm willing to believe it happened.

Still no idea why they thought it'd be worth the effort uploading it to the internet.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Pretty much this entire list: http://distractify.com/mark-pygas/ridiculous-detention-slips/?ts_pid=2&ts_pid=2 (safe for work unless your boss is actually reading what everything says over your shoulder)

Some of them may have happened- and some are pretty funny- but as a teacher, I must say that most of us can correctly spell words like "sandwich" and 'spoken."

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
That potato story was on TIFU on reddit a few months ago and I think a lot of the stories there are written in a similar way. Very STDH.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

quote:

Me: “Hello!”

Customer: “Three juniors for swimming, please.”

Me: “Okay.”

(We have a strict policy at our pool that children under eight have to be accompanied by an adult. I can see that one of the children is under eight.)

Me: “And is it just the children going swimming?”

Customer: “Yes, I can’t go; I am ill.”

Me: “Okay, how old are they?”

Customer: *obviously Grandpa* “They are seven, twelve and thirteen.”

Me: “I am sorry, sir, but I cannot allow the seven-year-old in the pool without an adult over the age of 16.”

Customer: *shouting* “Tell me where is says that!”

(I point to the BIG poster on the wall.)

Customer: *walking away he shouts back* “YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE A HOLIDAY RESORT!” *he then says to the youngest child* “That woman wouldn’t let you in!”

Me: “I am sorry that being on holiday seems to you that you can abandon all safety for you grandchildren. Please feel free to go outside, chuck them in the sea, and see how that goes. But that will probably be somebody else’s fault, too!”

*obviously Grandpa*

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

eating only apples posted:

*obviously Grandpa*
I believe it but only because during the protagonists end speech, the family was probably already out of earshot so he just muttered it to himself.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Obsolete posted:

Not sure this is the right place, but a friend recommended me the book Ready Player One. Hoooo boy. It could probably better be called "Tales of a Reddit Manchild: The Book."

It has it all, our savvy hero tearing apart not one, but two high school bullies with verbal takedowns (and everyone cheers afterwards), militant atheism, self-diagnosed Asbergers, friendzones, super hacker skills, magical virtual currency, weird obsession with 80s nerd culture, all wrapped in a "video games are the only thing that understands me" narrative.

Can't say I'd recommend it, but it feels like the id of this entire thread. It's a decent hate-read.

Should I mention it looks like it is going to be a Spielburg movie? No, seriously.

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all

Samizdata posted:

Should I mention it looks like it is going to be a Spielburg movie? No, seriously.

Perfidus posted:

And Spielberg is directing a movie based on it.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

monny posted:

Some snarky words...

And, you know, MAYBE I posted that while reading sequentially through the thread and before I got to Perfidus' post. Heck, I even posted supporting information for the disbelieving.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

eating only apples posted:

*obviously Grandpa*

I like thinking that that was actually the customer saying that under his breath, or implying that was the tone he was using- "Obviously, grandpa."

Some of these protagonists increase in likeability if you pretend they're a 90-something year old war veteran shouting everything in a tone somewhere between sarcastic and not-gonna-take-anybody's poo poo.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Samizdata posted:

And, you know, MAYBE I posted that while reading sequentially through the thread and before I got to Perfidus' post. Heck, I even posted supporting information for the disbelieving.

Maybe don't do that, then? Slamming "quote" so you can get your commentary in before you've even read the rest of the thread doesn't sound like the best of habits.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Besesoth posted:

Maybe don't do that, then? Slamming "quote" so you can get your commentary in before you've even read the rest of the thread doesn't sound like the best of habits.

Right or not get defensive if someone notices it

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Who ever linked the "I Don't Even Own A Television" podcast about 'Ready. Player. One', great shout. The one about JWOWW's book was also great.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ready player one is a good book, or at least better then the first harry potter.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

at least they faked the fold lines.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

I always feel that these seem like the kind of thing faked by the really really nutty and weird neighbours who decide they hate someone and will continue to accuse them of various (usually small) things, from throwing garbage in their garden to moving fences to vandalising their property, you know the people. That awful neighbour with the dogs DID NOT WANT MY CHILD TO BE OUTSIDE PLAYING AND LAUGHING see how awful they are? :byodood:

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all

Three Olives has pets?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

monny posted:

Three Olives has pets?

I assumed he'd have a purebred cat with a very finicky digestive system that will only drink fresh cream at 64.24 degrees Fahrenheit, if it's cooler or warmer by 0.01 degrees, it'll turn its nose up and won't drink it, even if you get it to the right temperature, and strikes out violently at any touch.

That, or a tiny dog that must never, ever touch the floor, its' paws are too sensitive!

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥

monny posted:

Three Olives has pets?

Goddamnit, I was just about to make a 3o joke.

kizudarake posted:

I assumed he'd have a purebred cat with a very finicky digestive system that will only drink fresh cream at 64.24 degrees Fahrenheit, if it's cooler or warmer by 0.01 degrees, it'll turn its nose up and won't drink it, even if you get it to the right temperature, and strikes out violently at any touch.

That, or a tiny dog that must never, ever touch the floor, its' paws are too sensitive!

I assume he'd have some kind of high-maintenance bird. I hate birds.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

What they will find out after his killing spree is that all 14 numbers were to branches of Dominos pizza.

• Locked thread