Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Calidus posted:

So my HTC One M8 stopped reading sim cards, I couldn't get to work after an hour, so I went the verizon store. They couldn't get to work even with a new sim card, so I they set me up to receive a refurbished replacement. I had to sign this big nasty agreement about if my phone was abused they will charge me for the replacement. How sticky are they on general ware and tear? I have dropped it a few times and the metal has some scratches and small dents on the edge but the glass is perfect and it doesn't have water damage.

You'll be fine. I've never seen anyone get dinged for wear and tear on a replacement device; they really only care about cracked glass and water damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/03/31/verizon-wireless-customers-can-now-opt-out-of-supercookies/

Looks like if you've opted out of the relevant mobile advertising stuff in your privacy settings, Verizon finally will stop MITM'ing your traffic to add a unique tracking ID to every HTTP request you send out.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Calidus posted:

So my HTC One M8 stopped reading sim cards, I couldn't get to work after an hour, so I went the verizon store. They couldn't get to work even with a new sim card, so I they set me up to receive a refurbished replacement. I had to sign this big nasty agreement about if my phone was abused they will charge me for the replacement. How sticky are they on general ware and tear? I have dropped it a few times and the metal has some scratches and small dents on the edge but the glass is perfect and it doesn't have water damage.

As already said you're probably fine but if anyone else wants to know there are these guides and FAQs published on VZW's site:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/how-to-identify-device-damage/

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/damaged-device-fee-faqs/

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

There's the Best Buy way, and there will always be the full retail avenue, you just ideally want to wait a few weeks/months until the 'new hotness' goes on sale for ~$100-200 off.

Just means you really have to plan on using the phone for a while.

Best Buy made me lose my unlimited data plan or else I'd have to pay full retail. My contract was up too.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

indoflaven posted:

Best Buy made me lose my unlimited data plan or else I'd have to pay full retail. My contract was up too.

The Best Buy way refers to ordering online and not turning on the new device when you receive it. You switch out the sim with your existing sim(old phone) and you keep unlimited.

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

Blargh! I'm a space parasite!
I've been on the Edge plan for about a year and a half now and need to get a new phone. The people at the Verizon store told me that it would be cheaper for me to edge up to a new phone like the Droid Turbo or Galaxy S6 than to get the same phone with the 2 year rate. The numbers they gave me seem to add up, but it feels like I'm missing something. Is there a catch here?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

I've been on the Edge plan for about a year and a half now and need to get a new phone. The people at the Verizon store told me that it would be cheaper for me to edge up to a new phone like the Droid Turbo or Galaxy S6 than to get the same phone with the 2 year rate. The numbers they gave me seem to add up, but it feels like I'm missing something. Is there a catch here?

I'm no expert, but I believe to get the full discount you need MORE Everything, and it's only cheaper if you don't pay off the full phone (e.g. Edge up when possible, I believe that's 75% paid off so 18 months.)

I think the catch is you end up paying more in a few situations, like waiting 2 full years, but I believe you aren't locked into a service contract. Also, you can upgrade at any time after 30 days from initial purchase, provided you pay the total between 75% paid of your phone and what you've already paid, but if you upgrade every 30 days you'll be making GBS threads drat near a thousand bucks a month.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Apr 3, 2015

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
I lost my phone (HTC One M8) a few weeks back and didn't have any sort of insurance. I have been using a super old, super beat up, and super horrible Samsung Charge, whose name seems to mean it constantly needs a charge. I have wanted to get a new phone but they all seem pretty expensive.

I was originally considering getting a used or refurbished HTC One M8, but didn't like the idea of the crapshoot that might end up. However, since Motorola has a great deal with the 2nd Gen Moto X, which is only marginally more than most M8's seem to be going for used, I figure I will probably spring for that. Is there any reason to spend the extra $50 to get more storage? I would bet that the extra storage is unnecessary unless you like to take and keep a ton of pictures on your phone, since they all go to Google's Cloud anyway.

Edit: Oops, I think I meant to post this in the Android thread, but I guess its not completely out of place here as I have Verizon.

Gripen5 fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 3, 2015

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

If you're already on the edge plan, you hopefully know how it works. Do the math yourself, it's easy.

If you're on the 6gb/$70 More Everything plan or higher, your edge discount is $25. Below 6gb, it's $15. Not on More Everything at all, no discount.

Take the full cost of the phone you want. We'll use $650 as an example. Divide that by 24 monthly installments, you get about $27/month. Minus the $25 discount, that's $2/month. Minus the $15 discount, that's $12/month.

All you pay the first first day is taxes on the full cost. With edge you can upgrade earlier (right now it's 18 months) by trading in your like-new phone you originally got on Edge.

So, take your monthly cost ($12 or $2, depending on phone's full cost) and multiple it by 18 or 24, depending on if you think you might want to upgrade early. Add in the taxes of the full cost you pay that day.

Compare this to the 2-year price, including rebates. In many cases, edge is cheaper, but that mostly depends on how much data you have, and how long you plan on keeping the phone.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

You'll be fine. I've never seen anyone get dinged for wear and tear on a replacement device; they really only care about cracked glass and water damage.

So the replacement they sent me has a broken mic, this is asinine.

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

Blargh! I'm a space parasite!

Protocol7 posted:

I think the catch is you end up paying more in a few situations, like waiting 2 full years, but I believe you aren't locked into a service contract.

Deep Winter posted:

If you're already on the edge plan, you hopefully know how it works. Do the math yourself, it's easy.

Thanks for these replies. I did the math myself, but it seemed too good to be true and I figured I must have been missing something. I appreciate the reassurances. Thank you.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

kitten smoothie posted:

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/03/31/verizon-wireless-customers-can-now-opt-out-of-supercookies/

Looks like if you've opted out of the relevant mobile advertising stuff in your privacy settings, Verizon finally will stop MITM'ing your traffic to add a unique tracking ID to every HTTP request you send out.

They've stopped adding the tracking ID if you opt out. Not sure they've actually stopped MITM'ing the traffic.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

fordan posted:

They've stopped adding the tracking ID if you opt out. Not sure they've actually stopped MITM'ing the traffic.

True, that is an important distinction to make.

make sure you're on VPN when you send your dick pic snapchats.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

fordan posted:

How does one opt out, for the incredibly lazy?

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

kinkouin posted:

How does one opt out, for the incredibly lazy?
https://ebillpay.verizonwireless.com/vzw/secure/setPrivacy.action

Sign in with your My Verizon account.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Thanks dude.

The amount of annoyances they put makes it seem they really dont want you to do it :psyduck:

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
After 2 phone calls and 4 emails, VZWSupport on Twitter seems to have actually gotten Smart Rewards and data collection disabled on my account. I signed up just to check it out and once I realized it's a gimmicky penny stock marketplace with useless points that are basically impossible to redeem, I wanted out. Nobody at Verizon wanted to help and instead, they spent all their loving goddamn time trying to tell me that I just don't have the right information because Smart Rewards is GREAT!

This is the type of behavior that allow telecoms to transcendentally achieve the impossible-- being hated more than and less trusted than the government.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
As a former employee: All the help documents about overcoming objections while talking to customers basically tell you to say BUT WE'RE BETTER to everything.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

FordPRefectLL posted:

As a former employee: All the help documents about overcoming objections while talking to customers basically tell you to say BUT WE'RE BETTER to everything.

There was once a $15 discrepancy on a bill where I bought a phone, returned it within like 4 hours, and they tried to charge me for a week of use. After going through the hassle of providing paperwork and 20 minutes wasted on the phone, they acted like "well, what you did was pretty out of the ordinary we can't be blamed for this" which irritated me enough to find a Net Neutrality organization and donate $50.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So is the Droid Turbo Max still the best phone to get? I'm still rocking my Galaxy Nexus and I want to get this fucker upgraded before my kid arrives in a month and I'm even more distracted.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So is the Droid Turbo Max still the best phone to get? I'm still rocking my Galaxy Nexus and I want to get this fucker upgraded before my kid arrives in a month and I'm even more distracted.

Minus the max, it is

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

z06ck posted:

Minus the max, it is

I watched a few reviews and it does seem to be better for my purposes compared to the Nexus 6.

I'm currently paying around $115 for 2GB shared, and I see all those options for 6GB for $100. How do I get that?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish you could actually do something useful with Smart Reward points. Sitting on a cache of 100k :(

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Don't worry, Verizon did useful things with the data you gave them when you signed up for the program.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I've never signed up for it, and keep getting emails trying to get me to do so. My account page still shows something like 70,000 points though.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Don't worry, Verizon did useful things with the data you gave them when you signed up for the program.

Yeah I wish I had understood wtf it was before I agreed to it. I opted back out but I get the feeling it wasn't "clean".

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Abu Dave posted:

I wish you could actually do something useful with Smart Reward points. Sitting on a cache of 100k :(

My dad is sitting on 100k too and thinks he can get a good deal on an Xbox One through the auctions. I don't know what I'm at and I don't care, last I checked the only thing they were good for is like $100 gift cards for $95 (a rather common thing for someone who religiously browses SlickDeals.)

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
The auctions are those silly ones where if someone bids in the last few seconds, the timer is extended. So the winners probably are the people that just sit there and mash the button all day.

There are a few local restaurants with decent-ish coupons in the program, but that's pretty much all I've ever gotten out of it. Thinking about just dumping all my points into one of their drawings for a free iPad or whatever, because they're not really doing me any good otherwise.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.

Deep Winter posted:

If you're on the 6gb/$70 More Everything plan or higher, your edge discount is $25. Below 6gb, it's $15. Not on More Everything at all, no discount.

Take the full cost of the phone you want. We'll use $650 as an example. Divide that by 24 monthly installments, you get about $27/month. Minus the $25 discount, that's $2/month. Minus the $15 discount, that's $12/month.

All you pay the first first day is taxes on the full cost. With edge you can upgrade earlier (right now it's 18 months) by trading in your like-new phone you originally got on Edge.

So, take your monthly cost ($12 or $2, depending on phone's full cost) and multiple it by 18 or 24, depending on if you think you might want to upgrade early. Add in the taxes of the full cost you pay that day.

Compare this to the 2-year price, including rebates. In many cases, edge is cheaper, but that mostly depends on how much data you have, and how long you plan on keeping the phone.

You get taxes on 2 years contracts too. The taxes all at once thing though can catch people off guard. An iphone 6 16gb is like 27.15 on edge. 2.15 x 24 = 51.60 out of your pocket plus the taxes. 2 year pricing is 199 + upgrade fee + taxes.

It is really a no-brainer... if you ask me. But then again I have had to debate with people for me to give them free data with no strings attached.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Holy poo poo, I started the process for trading in my old iphone back in October, and finally got the money. Took a while, but got the whole $200, just like I was quoted. Woo!

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Hi everyone - I've been through 3 layers of useless tech support, thought I'd ask here before I go through with the hard reset.

My Maxx will not connect to wireless. I try to turn the wireless on and it thinks about it for a few seconds at most, and turns itself back off, never seeing any networks.

Here's what I've tried so far:
- Took it to the store, guy replaced my sim card. No effect.
- Called tech support, restarted in safe mode, deleted some videos (my storage was almost full). This worked for about a half day.
- Changed advanced wifi settings to not avoid poor connections (irrelevant, wifi still doesn't register when there are many great signals in the area)
- Uninstalled flashlight app (tier 2 guy searched the forums and saw a post about a flashlight app doing something idk what). No effect.
- Uninstalled any app I wasn't actively using and restarted. Wireless worked briefly, again, gone by next day.

Now they want me to hard reset, and if that doesn't work, I'm getting the replacement phone.

Any thoughts?

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.

Defenestration posted:

Hi everyone - I've been through 3 layers of useless tech support, thought I'd ask here before I go through with the hard reset.

My Maxx will not connect to wireless. I try to turn the wireless on and it thinks about it for a few seconds at most, and turns itself back off, never seeing any networks.

- Called tech support, restarted in safe mode, deleted some videos (my storage was almost full). This worked for about a half day.
- Changed advanced wifi settings to not avoid poor connections (irrelevant, wifi still doesn't register when there are many great signals in the area)
- Uninstalled flashlight app (tier 2 guy searched the forums and saw a post about a flashlight app doing something idk what). No effect.
- Uninstalled any app I wasn't actively using and restarted. Wireless worked briefly, again, gone by next day.

Now they want me to hard reset, and if that doesn't work, I'm getting the replacement phone.

Any thoughts?

Why don't you just do what they say and do the hard reset? It's incredibly easy to restore everything through gmail. A hard reset is nowhere near as traumatic as your thinking it is.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Abu Dave posted:

Edit: Crap never mind, I just realized I am confusing Version Fios rewards and Verizon Wireless rewards.

How is the Galaxy S6 on Verizon?

BexGu fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 17, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

BexGu posted:

How is the Galaxy S6 on Verizon?

Better on Verizon than other carriers as the Verizon variant retains a qualcomm modem for LTE which holds a ever so slight edge over the Shannon LTE modem in the GSM variants as far as battery life goes.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.

Defenestration posted:

Any thoughts?

Whats the problem? Your phone isn't working and people are trying to help you. It seems like they are tip toeing around doing a hard reset which is pretty dumb. I hope that was you making them stretch this out instead of them being incompetent in that regard.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Has anyone else has an issue where on mobile data Imgur pictures don't load at all? Using a 5S and it works over wifi but it's like their hosting servers are blocked on mobile. Happens in both awful app and Safari.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

It's a shame Verizon's new(ish) Message+ app looks like exactly the sort of carrier crap app you'd expect. Because the concept is pretty cool.

Being cross-platform you can use an Android phone and send/receive texts on an iPad, and do stuff like send/receive SMS using your actual phone number while on an airplane over wifi.

If they cleaned it up and stopped trying to monetize it through cross-marketing (I'm not going to send a loving Starbucks gift card over SMS using your app) I'd probably even pay a couple bucks a month for it as a feature.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I use Verizon Messages because at my new job it's the only way I can get text messages to send. Stupid copper buildings.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

kitten smoothie posted:

It's a shame Verizon's new(ish) Message+ app looks like exactly the sort of carrier crap app you'd expect. Because the concept is pretty cool.

Being cross-platform you can use an Android phone and send/receive texts on an iPad, and do stuff like send/receive SMS using your actual phone number while on an airplane over wifi.

If they cleaned it up and stopped trying to monetize it through cross-marketing (I'm not going to send a loving Starbucks gift card over SMS using your app) I'd probably even pay a couple bucks a month for it as a feature.

It's actually a pretty decent app. I was using it for a while. But yea the cross marketing bullshit turned me off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

Whats the problem? Your phone isn't working and people are trying to help you. It seems like they are tip toeing around doing a hard reset which is pretty dumb. I hope that was you making them stretch this out instead of them being incompetent in that regard.
Well I sacked up and went through with the hard reset, as the thread said. Didn't help, so they sent me a replacement phone.

Which promptly did the exact same thing, but now with a smattering of randomly restarting itself.

It's definitely a preloaded app that's doing it. I haven't installed any of my 3rd party apps, and the wireless worked fine before I told my google account to download anything. I disabled the update on Hangouts, per Verizon's suggestion, which worked for a hot second, but now we're back to square one, wireless toggles itself off right away every time, even in safe mode. I updated all the apps I can't opt to uninstall, so that's not helping either.

Thank god I have unlimited data, or all this downloading and updating without wireless would be killer.

• Locked thread