Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

catlord posted:

I want to like AVP Classic more than I actually do. I dunno, whenever I play it it's like, ok, I should absolutely love it, but it just leaves me cold.

It was glorious in multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

TerminusEst13 posted:

I hate fights and clubbing. I like to sit down and read books. Does that count?

This your fight night? Then you have to read it out loud.

So while were talking old fps's, what were the various terminator fps's of note?

I have vague memories of playing a demo set in that universe, where you're in the doomed robot hell future.

This is perfect. :allears:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Apr 17, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Thyrork posted:

So while were talking old fps's, what were the various terminator fps's of note?

Off the top my head, there's Rampage, Future Shock and Skynet.

I've only played Future Shock (or maybe Skynet) and I seem to remember that it was aggressively mediocre.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Thyrork posted:

This is perfect. :allears:
Thanks! I didn't think to post it in here for some reason...

Thyrork posted:

I have vague memories of playing a demo set in that universe, where you're in the doomed robot hell future.
Bethesda made a ton of Terminator games before Morrowind gave them mainstream fame. Here's some of the more relevant ones:

Terminator: Rampage is basically a Wolfenstein 3D clone where you have to fight through a Cyberdyne fighting off messily pre-rendered drones and cyborgs while trying to find keycards to progress and the pieces of a prototype weapon that you need to kill the final boss. I haven't played it in a long time, but I don't remember being especially impressed.

Terminator: Future Shock uses the first version of what would go on to become become the terrifying, shambling abomination they call "The Daggerfall Engine" in hushed tones, so there's polygonial environments and mouselook from a little before Quake showed up.

SkyNET is the sequel to Future Shock. I don't know much about it, except that it includes deathmatch and can also play Future Shock, if you own it, in a staggering 640x480 hi-res mode! Sweet Jesus!

I know Chinese Tony Danza was mucking around inside the innards of SkyNET at one stage, he might know more about how they play if he wasn't just scavenging for sprites and textures.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I was under the impression that Future Shock /SkyNet got decent but not great reviews. A 1996 FPS just isn't going do justice to the future war setting, though. I think I tried playing the demos on my 486 SX 25 back in the day but they nearly melted it :(

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

catlord posted:

I want to like AVP Classic more than I actually do. I dunno, whenever I play it it's like, ok, I should absolutely love it, but it just leaves me cold.

Man, same. I finally got it a few years ago and I tried to love it, but I could only think "wow, this actually kinda sucks and has some very questionable design decisions!"

Guess I had to be there for multiplayer, because the mechanics DO seem pretty fun...

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Ah, must have been Future Shock or SkyNET, my old pc at the time certainly would have been able to play a knockoff looking Wolf!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Yo, here's some recent stuff that got made or I found or whatever.

JP LeBreton made a bot that tries to find interesting geometry in random maps from idgames, then posts the results on Tumblr three times a day. Technical commentary here.

Some wonderfully insane gent has been adding co-op support to Deus Ex. He could use a 2D artist and some beta testers... you know, if anybody's offering.

Also on a Deus Ex note: DX Revision is in final testing. It's a massive TC that keeps the same plotline, but rebuilds all the maps and such.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
^^^ That looks very promising.

I had loads of fun with AVP classic multiplayer. That's something that AVP3 didn't manage to do it for me in any way since neither the campaign nor the MP were really that fun except for predators.

Brovstin posted:

If you guys really don't care then maybe you could just ignore the posts and not drag the conversation on and on? Just a thought.

Anyway here's a nice video by Kins

I'd rate Blood doors much higher on that list for managing to kill me so many time. So far, I haven't died or got hurt once from a door in Shadow Warrior.

Interestingly, they made hurting doors a thing in SiN just to emulate Duke3D.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
AVP 2000 is actually really garbage if you're not playing in multiplayer, AVP2 is a considerably better game for solo play.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Kins posted:

Yo, here's some recent stuff that got made or I found or whatever.

JP LeBreton made a bot that tries to find interesting geometry in random maps from idgames, then posts the results on Tumblr three times a day. Technical commentary here.

Some wonderfully insane gent has been adding co-op support to Deus Ex. He could use a 2D artist and some beta testers... you know, if anybody's offering.

Also on a Deus Ex note: DX Revision is in final testing. It's a massive TC that keeps the same plotline, but rebuilds all the maps and such.

I am extremely interested in all of these things. Very very very cool.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Elliotw2 posted:

AVP 2000 is actually really garbage if you're not playing in multiplayer, AVP2 is a considerably better game for solo play.
Garbage is kinda harsh. I have fond memories of murdering people as the alien.

It's kinda odd how the game is like halfway between the old-school wheelbarrow of levels and a more modern story-driven campaign. From what I remember there sorta is a story but you have to really pay attention or you'll miss it. Mostly the game just shoves you in familiar locales from the movies with little pretense.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

uncleKitchener posted:

I'd rate Blood doors much higher on that list for managing to kill me so many time.

It's a pity that the place hosting the Blood 2 Let's Play from back in the day went down, because that had the best-worst doors ever, including one that managed to slowly crush the player to death while they were stuck watching their other-selves interacting with characters in a cutscene.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dominic White posted:

It's a pity that the place hosting the Blood 2 Let's Play from back in the day went down, because that had the best-worst doors ever, including one that managed to slowly crush the player to death while they were stuck watching their other-selves interacting with characters in a cutscene.
I couldn't find that video, but I did find this similar cutscene bug. Rejoice as Headless NPC Caleb stands over his own not-headless corpse while all the other cutscene NPCs go ballistic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS5q-sr4-Ic

Y'know, I'm starting to get this vague feeling that the first couple generations of Lithtech were a bit arse. Call it a hunch...

Also, good grief, Gabriella's voice acting. Oof.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

The Kins posted:

Y'know, I'm starting to get this vague feeling that the first couple generations of Lithtech were a bit arse. Call it a hunch...
LithTech was always the also-ran to id and Epic's engines. I honestly didn't know that it survived beyond the early 2000s before I checked Wikipedia.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

david_a posted:

LithTech was always the also-ran to id and Epic's engines. I honestly didn't know that it survived beyond the early 2000s before I checked Wikipedia.

LithTech always seemed like a low rent knockoff version of an engine. Like what you would use because you couldn't afford a proper game engine but didn't want to create your own. That's just my (very uninformed) perception, though.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

There's a bunch of games i wanted to play and do write ups on for this thread, but I could never get them working to a tolerable level. I dunno if there's been any advances in lovely old game technology since last time I tried so here's a list of em:
Shatner's Tekwar
Witchhaven
Powerslave
Blood 2
KISS psycho circus (I actually got this one running pretty well, but found it so depressing I had to stop playing)
Blake Stone
Will Rock

There's a couple of others I can't remember off the top of my head, but the main trouble I've had with them is less getting them running and more stopping poo poo like the screen flickering or all the controls being fucky.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

FirstPersonShitter posted:

There's a bunch of games i wanted to play and do write ups on for this thread, but I could never get them working to a tolerable level. I dunno if there's been any advances in lovely old game technology since last time I tried so here's a list of em:
Shatner's Tekwar
Witchhaven
Powerslave
Blood 2
KISS psycho circus (I actually got this one running pretty well, but found it so depressing I had to stop playing)
Blake Stone
Will Rock

There's a couple of others I can't remember off the top of my head, but the main trouble I've had with them is less getting them running and more stopping poo poo like the screen flickering or all the controls being fucky.

Please do Blake Stone :ohdear:

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I didn't really enjoy Blood 2 and I'd rather keep it in the back of my games list despite it being fun in some areas.

On the other hand, I'm still looking around for a copy of No One Lives Forever because I remember that being Monolith's first valuable effort on the LithTech.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I'd be interested in knowing if there was anything to Will Rock. I played the demo and it just seemed like a lesser Serious Sam.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shatner's Tekwar
Witchhaven
Powerslave
Blood 2
Blake Stone
Will Rock

Your lovely FPS write ups are some of my absolute favorite posts in this thread, please keep up the good work.

I'd love to hear about how any of those games play, I've always been curious but haven't gotten around to it either. Especially Tekwar, Witchhaven, and KISS.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Man I wish I knew about these games as a kid, probably woulda played the poo poo outta them.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Well, let's see...

Shatner's Tekwar: This was always a buggy piece of poo poo, even on period-era DOS systems. Yay, beta-version BUILD engine from 1994! It runs fine under DOSbox, but some twiddling may be needed to get cutscenes working in all their... uh... glory.
Witchhaven: Again, DOSbox. You may wanna use a static cycles setting instead of auto.
Powerslave: On PC? Yep, DOSbox. On Saturn? SSF.
Blood 2: Use a Glide wrapper and a user patch.
Blake Stone: DOSbox will cover you perfectly until Blzut gets around to this duty.
Will Rock: This appears to have issues with modern GPU drivers... haven't had any luck looking around for a fix.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

DX: Revision's website posted:

The Revision Project is a complete re-imagining of the world of Deus Ex. We improve the design of many locations, create a complete original soundtrack to accompany the experience, and add new world-building narrative detail.
Emphasis mine. I sure as hell hope this is optional, because I refuse to give up on that module music sound.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Emphasis mine. I sure as hell hope this is optional, because I refuse to give up on that module music sound.

It's optional and awful.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

The Kins posted:

Well, let's see...

Shatner's Tekwar: This was always a buggy piece of poo poo, even on period-era DOS systems. Yay, beta-version BUILD engine from 1994! It runs fine under DOSbox, but some twiddling may be needed to get cutscenes working in all their... uh... glory.
Witchhaven: Again, DOSbox. You may wanna use a static cycles setting instead of auto.
Powerslave: On PC? Yep, DOSbox. On Saturn? SSF.
Blood 2: Use a Glide wrapper and a user patch.
Blake Stone: DOSbox will cover you perfectly until Blzut gets around to this duty.
Will Rock: This appears to have issues with modern GPU drivers... haven't had any luck looking around for a fix.

Awesome, thanks!

I did play a little bit of shatners tekwar, it makes you pick from like 600 characters then drops you off in a train station and doesn't tell you what to do, then the police shoot you and you die.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

I did play a little bit of shatners tekwar, it makes you pick from like 600 characters then drops you off in a train station and doesn't tell you what to do, then the police shoot you and you die.
You're actually choosing who you're gunning for. You have to find them (taking the subway around the city as necessary), blast them (and their security if necessary), then use their access doovers to unlock elements of THE MATRIX so you can achieve some extremely unclear end goal.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

The Kins posted:

I know Chinese Tony Danza was mucking around inside the innards of SkyNET at one stage, he might know more about how they play if he wasn't just scavenging for sprites and textures.
Sorry, but I was only digging around for sprites and textures. I got them back when my rig was too weak to run true 3D games in DOSBox so I don't think I could have even run them.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

On a whim, I decided to try installing the Quake trilogy in reverse order on a Windows 98 computer I'd recently come into possession of.

Quake 3 runs a treat. Hooray, GeForce2 MX400.

Quake 2 also runs a treat, but I can't seem to make it any brighter - which is a problem, because the game is silly dark.

Quake [1] is kind of the outlier here. GLQuake refuses to run at anything higher than 640x480 (crashing instantly if I try) and also can't change gamma, and while WinQuake works, when I quit, I was instead greeted with columns of dots and a single underscore, forcing me to hard reset the computer. I think I'll stick with QuakeSpasm on my Win7 machine for that one.

Haven't tried Doom yet - I kind of wonder what the best source port for a Win98-era machine would be? Hopefully something that supports DeHackEd and Boom-format maps. Was going to try UT99, until I found my copy of Totally Unreal only has the Extras disc for UT:GotY. Oops.

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

They'll probably just replace it with a totally ambient loveletter to Michael McCann's Human Revolution soundtrack that seemingly everybody but me has a hard-on for. (I don't really see the love for it, I can't remember a drat thing about it beyond the UNATCO theme showing up when you first meet Sarif.)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Kins posted:

You're actually choosing who you're gunning for. You have to find them (taking the subway around the city as necessary), blast them (and their security if necessary), then use their access doovers to unlock elements of THE MATRIX so you can achieve some extremely unclear end goal.

Well, 'unclear end goal'-aside, this sounds awesome.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Well, 'unclear end goal'-aside, this sounds awesome.
Capstone had an uncanny knack for taking cool-sounding premises and farting on them.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

The Kins posted:

Ok so using this advanced knowledge I have played some of shatners tekwar.

The main menu gave me a lot of options of fairly identical looking men, I picked middle guy because I didn't feel equipped to deal with a tough guy like janus or miles connor yet

It spawned me in the subway, with a helpful map of the subway:

You can see in the background there is a subway cop doing the traditional cop thing of holding up his trousers. Anyway the train left before I could get on to it, so I went to explore the subway and maybe try and go outside. I went up the stairs and suddenly DUN DUN DUNNNN a garage door opened and a sexy lady tried to kill me

Luckily I had some car suspension with me and I showed it to her and she died and I successfully collected the bazooka stuck in the wall. It turned out the sexy lady death door was a dead end. I should mention that the controls in this game are like super super janky and for some reason turning side to side also makes you move forward and backwards a little bit because I guess in the grim future of william shatner everyone has to turn around like a car or a tank. I tried to look for the controls to see if there was like a mouselook toggle or anything but the only possible controls in the main menu are the mouse sensitivity and viewbob. On the bright side, the main menu shows you how computers will look in the far off future:

On the bad side, the menu doesnt actually pause the game and your dude still moves around while the menu is open which is very strange. The rest of the people in the station were pretty fuckin mad that I killed the sexy lady and stole the standard-issue subway bazooka, so I showed them my car suspension again and they all died:

It turns out that in the future there is only One Goddamn Train and it has to go all the way up and down the line before it'll come back, so I was stuck at this fuckin station for like 5 minutes because I missed the train when the game started up. While I was waiting I found a poster of what people like in the future- a hideous gremlin child holding a pixellated cat:

The way the weapons/inventory work in this game is really hosed up. When you press a number button it puts your weapon away, and if you don't have the weapon in the slot you picked it just says NOT IN SLOT but if you do have the weapon it doesn't say anything, so then you have to click to bring up the gun and see what it is which makes everyone in the drat game freak out. I was messing with my guns when the train finally showed up again, and the cop guy from earlier was so mad that he started shooting me the instant his carriage entered the station, like he knew I was there psychically. He shot out the train windows to get at me, he really wanted my blood.

I got on the train, and showed this guy my cop-killing boombox:

He wasn't bothered, he just wanted some Tek. Don't we all buddy, don't we all. I don't even know what a Tek is.

I got off at the next station and had to face the terror of the GENETIC SECURITY CHECK

I was pretty scared, because I have no idea if my genetics are secure or not. It turned out to be a loading screen, but after the loading screen it turned out that no, my genetics were not secure, because everyone in this new city area was loving mad at me for my lovely genes. I had to show em the car suspension, if you know what I mean:

This new place was some kind of little city financial district thing, and someone kept loving shooting me all the time and I couldn't see who it was because all the sprites are muddy and indistinct if you're even like 1 meter away, so I just had to kill everyone. Sorry guys.

I even tried to murder the magical perfect cuboid capstone truck, but all I achieved was somehow enabling a tiny, tiny rearview camera in the top left of the screen. Finally, I could watch my own back in this hosed up tek hell future.

I murdered my way into some kind of office building thing and there I found my target, MIDDLE GUY

He was a ghost of some sort, and the lady behind him was vogueing like crazy. He was pretty pissed off that I interrupted their vogueing session, so he kept walking into me and for some reason this hurt me. I seemed to have like infinite health because I'd been shot 100 times and then this guy kept walking into me a ton, and he pushed me right out of his office. I shot him once and he died, the cryptic words WAS A HOLOGRAM appeared on the screen. But before I could contemplate the meaning of this, I discovered why he had been pushing me slowly out of his office:

GAME OVER

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

KozmoNaut posted:

Off the top my head, there's Rampage, Future Shock and Skynet.

I've only played Future Shock (or maybe Skynet) and I seem to remember that it was aggressively mediocre.

The most interesting Terminator game from Bethesda is the first one, called just The Terminator. It was basically a GTA game, written entirely in assembly. It looks pretty awful, but you just have to admire the sheer spergery that went into creating it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ix9iD64pV4

They also made The Terminator 2029 which was basically an old-school dungeon-crawler (moving square by square on a grid).

Then they made Rampage, Future Shock, and SkyNET.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

I am extremely interested in all of these things. Very very very cool.
is somebody going to give Deus Ex better AI someday. I always get annoyed when they start doing their doofy running in place thing.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

LvK posted:

Guess I had to be there for multiplayer, because the mechanics DO seem pretty fun...

It was totally awesome. You have the marine for the boring people who just like to walk around while alternating between staring at the motion tracker and firing wildly at anything that moves. You have the predator for spergs who like to play around with the various vision modes and varied armory. And of course you have the alien, for the hyper spaz type guys who want to run around on the walls and ceiling and regain health by munching other players' heads.

Cat Mattress posted:

The most interesting Terminator game from Bethesda is the first one, called just The Terminator. It was basically a GTA game, written entirely in assembly. It looks pretty awful, but you just have to admire the sheer spergery that went into creating it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ix9iD64pV4

I will forever admire the programmers that built stuff this complicated in assembly. Actually they scare me a little bit.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

In the grim darkness of the future there is only William Shatner's Tekwar.....

Thanks! Great as always :) I'm interested to see you go through Blake Stone.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

While we're talking about Tekwar. The intro movie, lifted directly from the show, is the worst compressed video I've ever seen.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Ok so using this advanced knowledge I have played some of shatners tekwar.

They ran it at AGDQ, too, in their Awful Games block.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIRYqztzNX8

Skip to 9:30. It's all fiddling with Dosbox until then.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 17, 2015

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

While we're talking about Tekwar. The intro movie, lifted directly from the show, is the worst compressed video I've ever seen.

There was a show? Oh god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

is there a way to enable vertical mouselook in witchaven? I put up without it in shatners tekwar cause tbh i had like no intention of playing that whole game but so far witchaven is a lot more compelling, but i dont want to play the whole game with fuckin side to side mouselook only.