Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

bobkatt013 posted:

It also has a tie in with the movie coming out

And Daredevil. It's the most likely of the completely random guesses if you ask me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Runaways doesn't seem like something they'd get Ridley for. My guess is that it's one of the shows that's been rumored in development by ABC for a while now. Such as Punisher or Cloak and Dagger. The former being less likely because of content, but Cloak and Dagger has been in development with ABC for a few years now and the story mentions that the show will be a reinvention. The tone of the article does imply it's a solo character though.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Nemo posted:

Marvel's Agents of Real S.H.I.E.L.D.

I want AoRS and AoS to run side by side with the exact same events, except on each show the other agency's depicted as mustache-twirling villains, even in scenes where the exact same thing happens.

Like by the end of the season AoRS has Coulson wearing Magneto armor and AoS has Gonzales as the new head of HYDRA.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Deadpool posted:

Runaways doesn't seem like something they'd get Ridley for. My guess is that it's one of the shows that's been rumored in development by ABC for a while now. Such as Punisher or Cloak and Dagger. The former being less likely because of content, but Cloak and Dagger has been in development with ABC for a few years now and the story mentions that the show will be a reinvention. The tone of the article does imply it's a solo character though.

Runaways has built-in mass appeal, especially with all the success of the young adult movies. It would go for a wider audience than something like Cloak and Dagger or Punisher or really most any other superhero.

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010
You guys are making me excited for a runaways show that probably won't happen, stop :(

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.

Deadpool posted:

She-Hulk legal procedural. Literally run the first half of the season as a straight up legal show, don't even attach Marvel to the name so people who aren't aware who Jennifer Walters is are confused as hell when during the winter finale MODOK busts in and suddenly she's green and huge...

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Codependent Poster posted:

Runaways has built-in mass appeal, especially with all the success of the young adult movies. It would go for a wider audience than something like Cloak and Dagger or Punisher or really most any other superhero.

It also doesn't need a reinvention and probably isn't something you go to the American Crime guy to do.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

GLOSS posted:

She-Hulk legal procedural. Literally run the first half of the season as a straight up legal show, don't even attach Marvel to the name so people who aren't aware who Jennifer Walters is are confused as hell when during the winter finale MODOK busts in and suddenly she's green and huge...

Law and Order: Marvel Victims Unit

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah but I feel like Cloak & Dagger would be easier to proceduralize. Runaways would be more like a soap opera. Soaps and serials are gaining ground, but aren't procedurals still the king?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I feel like Runaways would make a great film trilogy and that's why it'll probably be a movie. I am a big fan of characters in comics that have a good hook but for some reason very few people seem to write good. For that reason Cloak and Dagger or even a Moon Knight would be much more interesting for me. But again I have a soft spot for those concepts, if not the actual stories that already exist. I feel Cloak and Dagger is one of the most wasted concepts at Marvel and it's sad that only a couple people have ever been able to do something good with them.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's ABC so it has to be nominally family friendly and light hearted.

I'm gonna say Howard the Duck(yeah), a three camera sitcom in the style of Alf or Harry and the Hendersons.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

greatn posted:

Again, this is the guy behind American Crime. Very much not family friendly and light hearted.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

greatn posted:

I'm gonna say Howard the Duck(yeah), a three camera sitcom in the style of Alf or Harry and the Hendersons.

Rachael Taylor is already cast in the role for one of the Netflix shows, hey, let's do a loving Patsy and Hedy sitcom. Don't include anything to indicate it's in the MCU at all for like the first three seasons, then suddenly Patsy turns into Hellcat and Hulk smashes into her house and she starts slashing fuckers throats.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah, Runaways can work as a movie as well, but a Runaways movie has been rumored since like, before Iron Man 1 and wasn't listed in the big list of upcoming Marvel movies, so I'd rather get a series in the nearer future. I feel like the comic stories fit pretty neatly into a structure where you can have clear season or mid-season finales that change the game, and you can always come up with new stories to fill things out without relying on just the comic material.

I'm more hopeful for a cool live-action Runaways something than I have been in the past though, the two big teen/YA Marvel properties are Runaways and Young Avengers, and with the big success of YA stories right now and Marvel making huge money even when they do a bad movie, I don't see how they miss the opportunity to make a LOT of money. Runaways also falls into something of a Guardians of the Galaxy mold, where it's off-beat and not remarkably well known, though I would rank it as better known than GotG.

There's also the fact that Marvel has capitalized on doing good superhero movies that mix with other genres to some degree and provide variety to the audience. Cap 1 had war film elements, Cap 2 drew from espionage/spy influences, GotG is the space opera, Iron Man is the action comedy, Ant-man will be the heist movie, etc. Runaways, whether it's as a movie or a series, would be their Superhero and young adult/teen movie.

I'll never get my dream of a good Animorphs series or movie (I loved those books when I was growing up), but if they don't pull the trigger on a Runaways adaptation in the next 3 years they're fools.

Out of curiosity Deadpool, what would you center each movie in the trilogy around? The first one is a no brainer, but I'm curious about where you'd take it after that.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 18, 2015

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

greatn posted:

NYPD Blue originally aired on ABC. There's room for something more adult oriented at later time slots.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

greatn posted:

Have you not been paying attention to the scenes of guys getting shot in the head directly on camera, or the Agent Carter cold open with two 13 year olds fighting to the death with one snapping the others neck to the approval of the instructor?

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion.
I'd love for them to make a spin-off focusing on a corrupt strike team, perpetually digging themselves into holes, and digging even deeper to get themselves out again, navigating the complex world of mutant gangs and their own organisation's internal politics. It could be called "The S.H.I.E.L.D".

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
A Runaways show would be a great way to reintroduce the Punisher.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Isn't runaways about a bunch of teenage kids of previously established supervillains? Of which there are very few in the MCU and most are dead anyway?

Musluk
May 23, 2011

greatn posted:

Isn't runaways about a bunch of teenage kids of previously established supervillains? Of which there are very few in the MCU and most are dead anyway?

Yeah, and they're not even in the superhero capital of New York either so I doubt it's Runaways.

I'd love to see She-Hulk law procedural.

swickles posted:

Have you not been paying attention to the scenes of guys getting shot in the head directly on camera, or the Agent Carter cold open with two 13 year olds fighting to the death with one snapping the others neck to the approval of the instructor?

Yes, but in the end those scenes set the tone for specific episodes and not the whole series. They probably had to negotiate certain uses of violence with ABC beforehand and I doubt the series will have that kinda tone either. Then again what do I know.

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

greatn posted:

Super villains yes, pre-established no. They were out on the west coast instead of New York and their parents were new characters that were a shadowy cabal. Except for Victor, he was Ultrons "son".

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
David E Kelley should make She Hulk. Yes, I've seen that terrible wonder woman pilot, but this is the one superhero he'd be really good at.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

greatn posted:

David E Kelley should make She Hulk. Yes, I've seen that terrible wonder woman pilot, but this is the one superhero he'd be really good at.

It will finally connect the MCU to the David E Kelley TV universe.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Matt Murdock v Denny Crane

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
People here obviously don't watch Shonda shows on ABC. Blood and violence on Scandal is ridiculous. Grey's Anatomy isn't much better, although the blood and guts are more from horrific accidents rather than people loving to torture other people.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

If the MCU US president is the same as the Scandal US president, America is not going to last long. Hydra just have to hold Olivia Pope hostage and he will probably give them the entire Area 51.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Season Finalé will be on May 12, and it will be 2 hours long.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ms Marvel TV show. You get superheroes and teen girl drama in one show!

Yea that's impossible because America is too loving racist to have a muslim teen superhero.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Ms Marvel TV show. You get superheroes and teen girl drama in one show!

Yea that's impossible because America is too loving racist to have a muslim teen superhero.

But it could be a really fun show if done right. :(

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

twistedmentat posted:

I think it's less "America" and more "corporate interests in America". There might be some outcry from the lunatic fringe, but I think the majority of people would be fine with it. It would be ABC's executives who would say, "Yeah, fine, but can we make her white and blonde?"

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Phylodox posted:

I think it's less "America" and more "corporate interests in America". There might be some outcry from the lunatic fringe, but I think the majority of people would be fine with it. It would be ABC's executives who would say, "Yeah, fine, but can we make her white and blonde?"

The same network that has Shonda Rhimes on speed dial? If anything's going to hold Ms. Marvel back its the fact it wouldn't be an ensemble show.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Ms. Marvel isn't going to happen because the public doesn't pay enough attention to not be confused by Ms Marvel vs. Captain Marvel.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Ms. Marvel isn't going to happen because the public doesn't pay enough attention to not be confused by Ms Marvel vs. Captain Marvel.

When she was first mentioned a few posts ago I had to go on wikipedia and check if they were the same person or not.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Kamala Khan > Carol Danvers. :colbert:

I also prefer Monica Rambeau Captain Marvel over Carol Danvers Captain Marvel too.

I'd love to see them do a She-Hulk legal procedural too.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Captain Marvel is the human who gets her powers from a kree.
Miss Marvel is the inhuman, the result of kree experiments.

Why would you EVER get those two confused?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Carol Danvers is a 30s something supermodel looking blond haired and blue eyed airforce pilot/spy/journalist, who has pretty much superman powers.
Kamala Khan is a 16 year old dorky first generation Pakistani-American who has stretchy shape changing powers.

Outside of the name both are very different.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Also, Billy Batson.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm pretty sure that DC wasn't so lazy they named two characters Captain DC and Miss DC. Just saying.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'm pretty sure that DC wasn't so lazy they named two characters Captain DC and Miss DC. Just saying.

But they have the Legion of Superpets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

counterfeitsaint posted:

No, DC has Captain Marvel, Mary Marvel, and Captain Marvel Jr.

So that's much better. Or worse. I really can't decide.

If it helps, Captain Marvel Jr. is either older than Captain Marvel, or the same age, depending on which retcon you're going with. Technically, all of this can be blamed on Fawcett Comics, rather than DC, but it's really far too late for that now.

• Locked thread